Perplexed about half closed Hollywood Studios disunplugged view.

HS is the best park to visit on a rainy day.
Definitely agree. I was caught by a Sept rain storm & found it easy & quick to move from place to place w/o getting a complete soaker. Contrast HS with AK where I had to stay put in the Yak & Yeti lobby to allow the rain to pass. But poor old Sci-Fi. The rain water flooded the lobby . . . possibly a design flaw or driving rain coming through the door each time a guest entered.

Definitely agree. I was caught by a Sept rain storm & found it easy & quick to move from place to place w/o getting a complete soaker. Contrast HS with AK where I had to stay put in the Yak & Yeti lobby to allow the rain to pass. But poor old Sci-Fi. The rain water flooded the lobby . . . possibly a design flaw or driving rain coming through the door each time a guest entered.

It's to help with the complete immersion of feeling like you are eating outside at a drive-in :D

Does anyone have forme a map of the construction and where the new lands will be?

Look earlier in the threads on page 2. The yellow area that is in the 2011 map in post 26 but missing on the map in post 28 is star wars. (plus a lot more area, basically streets of america all the way back is star wars with room to expand towards the entrance that is going away.

toy story land is area that was backstage on the other side of TSMM and if I remember right someone posted that the walkway pixar is in now will become backstage. It's entrance will be the walkway next to one mans dream + a walkway from star wars land.

Even before the areas where closed, Hollywood Studios already offered a limited number of attractions. Yes, it could fill a day if you did all the shows. However, it does not match up with the Magic Kingdom (especially) and Epcot in terms of things to do. In comparison to the Animal Kingdom, it lacks the same immersive environment.

Now that multiple things are closed, it isn't just about what's been closed. It's about the park being incomplete. There are some good attractions, but it doesn't justify the nearly $100 per day price tag. I realize that people are going on park hoppers, but it's still an incomplete experience.

Even before the areas where closed, Hollywood Studios already offered a limited number of attractions. Yes, it could fill a day if you did all the shows. However, it does not match up with the Magic Kingdom (especially) and Epcot in terms of things to do. In comparison to the Animal Kingdom, it lacks the same immersive environment.

Now that multiple things are closed, it isn't just about what's been closed. It's about the park being incomplete. There are some good attractions, but it doesn't justify the nearly $100 per day price tag. I realize that people are going on park hoppers, but it's still an incomplete experience.

See to us, MK is a half day park. It's all about what you want to do and what you get out of it.

See to us, MK is a half day park. It's all about what you want to do and what you get out of it.
I totally agree. Each to his own. Which is part of the reason I love WDW so much. There IS so much to do, and such different experiences within such a relatively close proximity (and WITH transpo, which is HUGE to somebody like me, that doesn't drive!), that everybody can have different, but personal, and amazing, custom experiences!!

I think this might be the answer to this "riddle"..

They didn't like the park before it was decided to mass overhaul it. based on this thread, I think the sentiments of that statement rings true with the vast majority of disney park guests. Now that it's under construction it just happens to be an small corner of the park where they did find something to pass the time when they went in for another reason. An area that added to their holiday celebration...

What actually has me perplexed is how they give it a blanket "it's half closed, I don't get why people go or why it's the same price". My best guess is they really mean "We didn't love it before, and now what we might do when there is gone so it makes no sense to visit". Of course it's also missing how if you've never been there is a whole lot, more than a day worth of stuff for you to discover and try, including many favorite rides for both families and thrill seekers.

Ryan, can you help orient us on this map? Where do the two pathways originate/end in the park as we know it today?

Ryan, can you help orient us on this map? Where do the two pathways originate/end in the park as we know it today?
That map is just of the two new lands.

The path on the left comes into Toy story land. This will be where the passage way is next to One Mans Dream. What is currently Pixar Place will become backstage as a new entrance to TSMM will be built on the other side.

Then Toy Story and Star Wars will connect via a tunnel like entrance similar to what is being done at Disneyland.

The other Star Wars entrance will be where Muppets courtyard is and the old Streets of America. Part of the SoA facade is staying and a themed corridor will be built to bring you into Star Wars land.

You looking at it from world drive so far left not in the image is ToT. If you look at the upper left, you can see the shape of the chinese theater/great movie ride. the building to the upper right is muppets with that tiny piece of streets of america still hanging in there and not going away.

basically rotate it 180 degrees to be oriented like your in the park and not on the highway looking through the trees.

TSMM looks like it's missing a track though but it's a drawing and not a blueprint.

You looking at it from world drive so far left not in the image is ToT. If you look at the upper left, you can see the shape of the chinese theater/great movie ride. the building to the upper right is muppets with that tiny piece of streets of america still hanging in there and not going away.

basically rotate it 180 degrees to be oriented like your in the park and not on the highway looking through the trees.

TSMM looks like it's missing a track though but it's a drawing and not a blueprint.
No TSMM is not missing a track Sound Stage one where the third track is, is there.

Wow!!I haven't been to the parks since my last advanced internship in 2000. I was part of the YES Program and gave tours in all the parks except AK. Many of the rides still on the new map are the same. The Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones,The Great Movie Ride, (I know this has been updated )RR, Tower of Terror, are still there. I guess I really liked the focus of the park being the animation,backlot, and sound stages. I have some great memories of going backstage to the set of a certain show and seeing all the props. It seems that this park has shifted away from the working studio. I loved meeting the animators. In one of the tours I gave their would be an animators that would teach our students how to draw a character. As for the Star Wars stuff I've never been a fan of Stars Wars. The first time Star Wars came out I was really to young to enjoy the movies. Now I just don't like those types of films. If I were to go back to the parks I don't think I'd spend much time at all there. I'm more excited for the Toy Story stuff than Star Wars. Right now I would say for me it is a half day park but I also heard that AK was a half day park back in 2000. I know that Disney has added much more to AK now.

I definitely still encourage my friends to go and experience HS when they go on Disney trips! I recently had a friend who said her family was going to completely skip it, and I just don't understand why! There is SO much to do. TOT, RR Coaster, Star Tours, fireworks, Fantasmic, 50's Primetime, Sci-Fi, Brown Derby, Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, Disney Jr, character meet and greets, etc. I do understand that this may be a half-day park for some due to a few of the attractions being geared to a specific audience (i.e. Frozen sing along and Disney Jr.), but it still has something to offer!

I recently visited the Studios after a two years absent. And I have to say I see I see their point. The Backlot and New York Street is gone. I went to Rizzo's and looked off the second balcony and gone. Also the Sound show is also gone replaced by a movie.

There is still things to do and If you like Star Wars or haven't done it before I would still recommend it. They also still have the Streetmosphere people who were really out and added so much to it. I hope that they remain even after the construction is gone.

I recently visited the Studios after a two years absent. And I have to say I see I see their point. The Backlot and New York Street is gone. I went to Rizzo's and looked off the second balcony and gone. Also the Sound show is also gone replaced by a movie.

I never disagreed that it feels half gone if you liked walking around. the confusing is the blanket why would anyone want to go, someone on their first trip has 15 attractions and some other things still there to do, may of which take an hour to do. In comparison, it had 18 attractions before construction. (rteetz would say 19)

I never disagreed that it feels half gone if you liked walking around. the confusing is the blanket why would anyone want to go, someone on their first trip has 15 attractions and some other things still there to do, may of which take an hour to do. In comparison, it had 18 attractions before construction. (rteetz would say 19)

I have to add that I will probably not be tempted to go back until some of what they are building is completed. I've done all the rides and shows that are there and I see no reason to go back until the construction is over. But that is someone who has been going there since the park opened. If you are not a Star wars fan or if you are not into the shows, you are going to be searching for something to do. I did another guest stop me and ask where the kids rides were. And when you think about there really aren't any rides for young children beyond what. I directed them to some of the shows too. There are many great shows to enjoy with young children but rides are much harder to find

Like I said I've been going to that park for a long time. And it's a shadow of what it used to be. The updates are needed and will add much to this lovely park when its done

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter