New San Diego Questions Thread!

We are planning a 12 day maybe 14 day trip depending on how much $$ we are at we are looking at coming in June 17 2012 going to Grand Cal in DL for 5 nights go to Knott Berry Farm and then take the drive down to San Diego guessing about 2.5 hours? Then we want to do Legoland entire day? How long is the Drive? Sea World all day? Zoo all day? Safari park all day? Can we fit other things in if we do not need a entire day or should I plan on a entire day at each of the above? I was planning on getting the City Pass is that the best way to go? Where should we stay--I know alot of places do not have prices out yet but comparing them to this years I would like to stay $200 or under if that is possible.
I have been to Disney World over 20 times, but have not been to DL/california since I was a little kid 20ish years ago. Thanks

If you are thinking about the Go San Diego Card, try looking at Lastminutetravel.com. They have really good prices on these -- and you could get the 5 day pass that will get you into Knotts Berry Farm, Sea World, LegoLand, the Zoo and the Safari Park.

It's a good deal!!!

Can't decide when to come - so maybe the weather can make the decision for me. I know it's probably similar being only one month apart, but can anyone tell me if the weather is far better in November than December???

Can't decide when to come - so maybe the weather can make the decision for me. I know it's probably similar being only one month apart, but can anyone tell me if the weather is far better in November than December???

November is drier and warmer. Both times cool and moderate though.

Also, I saw how many stores are at the Outlet Mall in Carlsbad and boy, am I excited!!! :cloud9: Does anyone shop there??

The Carlsbad Premium Outlets. Yes indeedy I am there weekly. Awesome deals.

You are staying at the HGI. That is really a business hotel. I hope you will have a car. And you do realize you are staying in North County. While it is lovely lovely lovely (as I live in NC) most of the tourist stuff is in San Diego. You are right across from the ocean on Carlsbad Blvd. I believe the HGI will shuttle you around the area if you do not have a car. Carlsbad is a fun city. Great restaurants. But you may want to get yourself down to San Diego for like Olde Towne, awesome awesome and fabulous Mexican food. As well as Seaport Village, the Midway, the Zoo, Sea World to name a few.

If you are thinking about the Go San Diego Card, try looking at Lastminutetravel.com. They have really good prices on these -- and you could get the 5 day pass that will get you into Knotts Berry Farm, Sea World, LegoLand, the Zoo and the Safari Park.

It's a good deal!!!

Thank You so much for Lastminutetravel website it is much cheaper. Have you bought from them before the only thing that I am worried about it says Redemption instructions
Take voucher to one of the following locations to exchange for your card:
San Diego Visitor Information Center
We were wanting to Knotts Berry Farm first after Disneyland and I really with the traffic do not want to have to go to the visitor center, back up to Knotts and then Back to San Diego. I asked the chat and they said I should be able to take it to Knotts and they will exchange it for the card.

The Carlsbad Premium Outlets. Yes indeedy I am there weekly. Awesome deals.

You are staying at the HGI. That is really a business hotel. I hope you will have a car. And you do realize you are staying in North County. While it is lovely lovely lovely (as I live in NC) most of the tourist stuff is in San Diego. You are right across from the ocean on Carlsbad Blvd. I believe the HGI will shuttle you around the area if you do not have a car. Carlsbad is a fun city. Great restaurants. But you may want to get yourself down to San Diego for like Olde Towne, awesome awesome and fabulous Mexican food. As well as Seaport Village, the Midway, the Zoo, Sea World to name a few.

That is great news!! Yes, I was able to rent a car for the week. I didn't know I was staying in North County but our office is in Vista which I think is only a 15 minute drive from Carlsbad? I just cancelled my return flight home so I can stay an extra day and check out Disneyland!! :woohoo: I can't wait to try the Mexican Restaurant!! Thanks for all your suggestions :)

That is great news!! Yes, I was able to rent a car for the week. I didn't know I was staying in North County but our office is in Vista which I think is only a 15 minute drive from Carlsbad? I just cancelled my return flight home so I can stay an extra day and check out Disneyland!! :woohoo: I can't wait to try the Mexican Restaurant!! Thanks for all your suggestions :)

Yup, you will land at San Diego Airport and drive (depending on when you land) probably a good 40 minutes north. HGI is right off the highway. Easy to see. And yes, Vista is in North County. Oh, you are so lucky as DL is fabulous!!!!!!! :mickeyjum

Thank You so much for Lastminutetravel website it is much cheaper. Have you bought from them before the only thing that I am worried about it says Redemption instructions
Take voucher to one of the following locations to exchange for your card:
San Diego Visitor Information Center
We were wanting to Knotts Berry Farm first after Disneyland and I really with the traffic do not want to have to go to the visitor center, back up to Knotts and then Back to San Diego. I asked the chat and they said I should be able to take it to Knotts and they will exchange it for the card.

I have purchased Disneyland park hoppers before through them. I had a lot of questions and they were always quick to respond. You might call knotts and see what they say about redeeming the go card there. It sounds like it might be a good option for you.

Just wanted to update about the San Diego go card and last min travel.com I called to see if we get the actually card. I was told that we get a coupon type thing and that it MUST be turned in to one of the two visitor centers in San Diego. I do not think this is going to work for us and please let me know if I am wrong. Flying into LAX, doing DL first then Knott (wanting to use the card) and then down to San Diego. The drive down to the visitor center is going to take about 2 hours each way right? That is 4 hours out of our day it did save us $$$, but if it is going to be 4 hours driving and gas I do not think it is going to be that great of a idea.

Just wanted to update about the San Diego go card and last min travel.com I called to see if we get the actually card. I was told that we get a coupon type thing and that it MUST be turned in to one of the two visitor centers in San Diego. I do not think this is going to work for us and please let me know if I am wrong. Flying into LAX, doing DL first then Knott (wanting to use the card) and then down to San Diego. The drive down to the visitor center is going to take about 2 hours each way right? That is 4 hours out of our day it did save us $$$, but if it is going to be 4 hours driving and gas I do not think it is going to be that great of a idea.

I agree with you -- I wouldn't want to do all of that driving to use the card. I also just looked at the terms again on lastminutetravel and it looks like they raised the price since i purchased it last week. It would now cost my family of 5 over $800 to purchase the 5 day pass -- and I purchased it for just over $600 last week.

You might check www.costco.com, I have heard they sometimes sell this card at a somewhat discounted price -- but don't have any specifics for you.

I hope you enjoy your trip!!!

Hotel Solamar (Klimpton property), Andaz, or Hotel Indigo?

Anyone stay at either of these? I think I have my San Diego hotel narrowed to these three.

Hotel Solamar (Klimpton property), Andaz, or Hotel Indigo?

Anyone stay at either of these? I think I have my San Diego hotel narrowed to these three.

During the 2007 wildfires in San Diego, my family all went down to stay at Hotel Solamar. They were incredible there! Very friendly. And the rooms were gorgeous and modern.

We have "May Gray"... Basically that means that in the mornings there is a chilly (50's or 60's) fog that doesn't clear until around 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon. The average low says 60 on weather.com, but I know for a fact it can be colder than that in the mornings. It says the average high is 69, I'd say that sounds about right.

Does this typically happen even at the end of May? We will be there from May 26-30...fog until 1 or 2p doesn't sound that great, but what can we do, it's mother nature...!!

Because of the possible fog, I'm wondering if we should have stayed at a bigger property with more onsite amenities, since the main reason I booked us at the Glorietta Bay Inn was because of the accessibility of Coronado Beach! We weren't planning on getting a car, so we would have to take the ferry or cab or bus to downtown to catch a trolley..Possible activities; the Zoo, Seaworld, Fashion Valley mall, maybe Midway tour?

We got a pretty good deal on a 1 bedroom suite at the Glorietta, there are 4 of us, including our 2 teens, so we wanted a place to sprawl out. I was going to have us stay 2 nights on Coronado and then move to the Manchester Hyatt downtown, but when I called to cancel the last 2 nights at the Glorietta, they said there was a 3 night minimum, and that makes it awkward, I don't want to move after 3 nights to spend just one more night downtown..we leave on Monday the 30th back to Anaheim with Amtrak...maybe we should rent a car for at least one day while on Coronado?

Thanks for your help in advance! :goodvibes

I am going to be there this week ! :cool1: And I am used to walking/wandering around major cities like New York, Boston, Washington DC. Is this possible in San Diego- and is it safe during the daytime hours? are there areas to avoid? On a day in NYC I have been known to walk from Central Park to Battery Park.... so the distance doesn't scare me! But is it realistic?
Jill

I am going to be there this week ! :cool1: And I am used to walking/wandering around major cities like New York, Boston, Washington DC. Is this possible in San Diego- and is it safe during the daytime hours? are there areas to avoid? On a day in NYC I have been known to walk from Central Park to Battery Park.... so the distance doesn't scare me! But is it realistic?
Jill

Why not get a MTS day pass for $5 and utilize the trolleys and busses to get around and walk once you get to certain areas.

We just got back yesterday, and for example, we took the 120/3 bus from the downtown (Gaslamp area) to Hillcrest...Hash House a Go Go is a must...wandered the neighborhood and could have walked to Balboa Park but had other plans. The number 7 bus can get you to Balboa Park and the Zoo. you can take the trolley to Old Town and transfer to a bus to Seaworld of Phil's BarBque, or Motel Circle. There's a trolley stop for Little Italy...Felipes Grotto for down home Italian fare. There's also a bus that goes across the bridge to Coronado Island so you can stroll the beach at the Hotel Del, and do a little shopping.

Guess what I'm saying, you can use the public transportation to get to areas where you will be doing a lot of walking anyway. Good luck and have fun.

Jill

Yes. TOTALLY realistic. I've been to New York (while pregnant!:rotfl:) and never took a cab. I've also did the walk around DC, so I think I know what you are taking about.:goodvibes
The walks are relatively safe (lots of homeless talkin' crazy) but other than that, really, really nice walks. Try to stick to Broadway, and you'll do fine.

Staying most of our time in SD but also spending a few days in Escondido for another commitment. We have the option of staying in Escondido or Temecula but picked Escondido b/c it is closer to SD when we need to depart. What do you think of picking Escondido over Temecula? Thanks!

Staying most of our time in SD but also spending a few days in Escondido for another commitment. We have the option of staying in Escondido or Temecula but picked Escondido b/c it is closer to SD when we need to depart. What do you think of picking Escondido over Temecula? Thanks!

While Escondido is nice and is the home of San Diego Zoo's Safari Park as well as tons of shopping and restaurants ... Temecula is SoCal's Wine Country! Tons of wine vineyards! HTH!

We will be traveling from DL to San Diego (downtown) on a Thursday evening. Right now I have tentatively planned to leave DL around 6 or 6:30 and drive to our hotel in San Diego. Is this a terrible time to drive that direction. I ask because I would rather spend more time a DL rather than sitting in traffic. If it would be a less stressful trip to start driving at 7:30 or 8, then that is what I would rather do. Any Advice?

Also, while in San Diego we are going to SW, the Zoo, the maritime museum and the USS midway. I also want to go and walk around Coronado and the Del. Can anyone give me a time estimation for doing each of the activities and the best time of day to do them. For instance I read in a previous post that the Zoo will take about 5 hours and it may be best to go in the afternoon because morning crowds are gone. I have 3 days to get all of this in, and I really want a game plan before I get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

We will be traveling from DL to San Diego (downtown) on a Thursday evening. Right now I have tentatively planned to leave DL around 6 or 6:30 and drive to our hotel in San Diego. Is this a terrible time to drive that direction. I ask because I would rather spend more time a DL rather than sitting in traffic. If it would be a less stressful trip to start driving at 7:30 or 8, then that is what I would rather do. Any Advice?

Also, while in San Diego we are going to SW, the Zoo, the maritime museum and the USS midway. I also want to go and walk around Coronado and the Del. Can anyone give me a time estimation for doing each of the activities and the best time of day to do them. For instance I read in a previous post that the Zoo will take about 5 hours and it may be best to go in the afternoon because morning crowds are gone. I have 3 days to get all of this in, and I really want a game plan before I get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

The SD Zoo can take a while to see, but I would recommend going as early as possible because that's when the animals are out and about. When it gets hot they disappear in the shaded areas of their enclosures. Maybe someone can chime in on if the animals come out at night. (Not sure what time the zoo closes.)

You could spend a few hours at the zoo, then go to the Del (or somewhere else in Coronado) for lunch. When I go home to SD, my family and I always go to the Del for lunch, and then my daughter swims at the beach there afterward. You can get hot dogs, etc., and drinks on the deck out back that looks out at the beach. Sure, it's pricey for what you get, but, heck, you're at the Del and it's awesome. We also do the valet parking (not that expensive with validation), which is more convenient than looking for parking and also saves time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter