New San Diego Questions Thread!

We will be traveling from DL to San Diego (downtown) on a Thursday evening. Right now I have tentatively planned to leave DL around 6 or 6:30 and drive to our hotel in San Diego. Is this a terrible time to drive that direction. I ask because I would rather spend more time a DL rather than sitting in traffic. If it would be a less stressful trip to start driving at 7:30 or 8, then that is what I would rather do. Any Advice?

I would delay. The problem is you can start out using carpool lanes, but that will get you quicker to were traffic will still be stuck. 7:30 or 8 sounds great.

We will be traveling from DL to San Diego (downtown) on a Thursday evening. Right now I have tentatively planned to leave DL around 6 or 6:30 and drive to our hotel in San Diego. Is this a terrible time to drive that direction. I ask because I would rather spend more time a DL rather than sitting in traffic. If it would be a less stressful trip to start driving at 7:30 or 8, then that is what I would rather do. Any Advice?

Also, while in San Diego we are going to SW, the Zoo, the maritime museum and the USS midway. I also want to go and walk around Coronado and the Del. Can anyone give me a time estimation for doing each of the activities and the best time of day to do them. For instance I read in a previous post that the Zoo will take about 5 hours and it may be best to go in the afternoon because morning crowds are gone. I have 3 days to get all of this in, and I really want a game plan before I get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I agree with skiingfast about leaving DL. I live in San Diego, and the rule is "before 3 or after 7" to avoid horrid traffic. Unless it is a Friday, and then you are just stuck no matter when you leave.:)

In terms of best time to do the things you plan, it depends on how early you get up. I am local, so we get to the zoo when it opens. It does not get crowded until around 11 or so, and stays that way until around 2. As the heat of the day gets going, the animals become less active, so it depends upon the time of the year you are going as well.

The Midway tour will take about 2 to 3 hours depending upon the interest of your traveling party. If you do the flight simulators, 3.5 hours. No particular part of the day has seemed more crowded the times I have toured it.

Sea World can fill an entire day.

All I have ever done in Coronado is dog beach, so I cannot speak to time frames there.

You are going to have a busy time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter