New San Diego Questions Thread!

What about at the end of May, we will be there from 5/26-30th, and plan on going to the zoo. I assume the weather won't be as hot as in July, so we could probably get away with a daytime trip without dying of heat! We're from Alaska, and we've been having cool summers in the last couple of years, like in the 50's and 60's.

You should be okay weather wise.

remember that we think that if it is in the 60's its time for a parka!:lmao:

(I went on a three week trip up the alcan through Canada into Alaska one year. camping out of a pickiup truck camper. I remember it being in the 60's and the locals were out in shorts, we were wearing light jackets and long pants!) us lower 48 folks are sometims a bit "fragile" ;)

GrumpyPirate (love the name!) Yes I'm sure we will be fine, in fact, I would prefer it, in 2009 we were there in August, and I was ROASTING at Seaworld, it was crowded, hot, lots of strollers everywhere, lost my family for a bit, I don't have good memories! My kids loved it there, and want to go back, I might just because I don't think it will be as hot this time and hopefully not as crowded... ;) I haven't been on the Alcan for years, my husband used to drive back and forth when he was in college in the "lower 48" hee hee!

GrumpyPirate (love the name!) Yes I'm sure we will be fine, in fact, I would prefer it, in 2009 we were there in August, and I was ROASTING at Seaworld, it was crowded, hot, lots of strollers everywhere, lost my family for a bit, I don't have good memories! My kids loved it there, and want to go back, I might just because I don't think it will be as hot this time and hopefully not as crowded... ;) I haven't been on the Alcan for years, my husband used to drive back and forth when he was in college in the "lower 48" hee hee!

yeah, august and september seem to be the hottest here in San Diego.

(and we did use the Alaska marine highway. the first trip, and a trip some years later!)

I need some help with driving times.

1. Anaheim to San Diego on a Sunday
2. Sea World to Legoland on a Tuesday?

We've only ever done just Disneyland or just Sea World, never Legoland and never from Anaheim to San Diego. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I need some help with driving times.

1. Anaheim to San Diego on a Sunday
2. Sea World to Legoland on a Tuesday?

We've only ever done just Disneyland or just Sea World, never Legoland and never from Anaheim to San Diego. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

WOW. number one is a killer.

I have made the drive in as little as 90 minutes....and as LONG as just over three hours.

the difference is if some one has an accident and the whole freeway slows to a crawl (for no apparent reason!) by the time you get to where the accident was, they are gone. (towed off, etc.) and it is as if by magic, the traffic resumes to freeway speed!

since it is from Anaheim to San Diego on a sunday (no particular time/destination) I would say allow yourself two hours at minimum.

sea world to legoland (most direct route is up I-5) is probably 30 minutes or less (UNLESS during rush hour 16:00-18:00) then it might take a bit more time.

(I note that those times are assuming that you can drive in moderate to heavy freeway traffic! I had some family friends from the midwest visit, and they had never experienced the levels of traffic they got caught in, so they slowed down a bit)

enjoy the drives!

Grumpy Pirate,

Thanks a ton! It really helps and it puts things in perspective. Sunday would be just for driving to San Diego so we wouldn't have to worry about time.

As for driving in heavy traffic, I leave that up to my husband. When we lived in the midwest, we would take day trips to Chicago. I didn't dare drive, but my husband had absolultey no problem. I still don't know how he did it!

Thanks again!!

Can you give me some advice, please???? :confused:

My family of 5 with three girls ages 14, 11 and 8 are planning on going to San Diego late June. We've been there 2 times, after going to DL of course. ;) We stayed at the Bay Club which was nice and the Capri by the Sea condos which we liked. We are looking for an on the beach condo that isn't more than $2000 per week! We wanted to stay somewhere different than the Capri, so it would be different than our last trip. We've done the Zoo, SeaWorld and Balboa Park, so we won't be going there. We haven't been to Old Town so we might do that one day, but we really just want to hang on the beach and walk around some cute shops and go to restaurants.

Should I just give up on finding a condo for that price? I've looked on vrbo.com, homeaway.com and tripadvisor. I've posted on Tripadvisor as well and everyone told me to stay away from Imperial Beach, where the cheaper condos are darn it! I've looked into North Coast Village at Oceanside, but the reviews are so hit or miss that I'd be nervous.

Sorry so long. Just wanted someone to tell me to quit looking for that perfect condo or keep looking. ;)

Thanks so much!!!!

What about the Carlsbad area? I'm not sure if that's too far out of the way for you? My niece and her family stayed at a really nice hotel and I think it had cooking facilities, not sure if it's right on the beach or not though, but I think within walking distance. West Inn & Suites or something? Good luck! Can't wait until we go, although we aren't staying at the beach...would love it though! Oh and travelzoo had a special for the Lowe's property, which is at Coronado Island, I think they are on the beach. It may be over, but you might find other good deals there?? Paradise Point resort has a "beach" it's more like a bay, but it might be a good alternative?

I have looked for condos there, but they are either too expensive or not right on the beach. I think I need to not be stuck on that. It would be nice to explore a different area like Carlsbad so I'll keep looking at vrbo.com. There is a nice resort there, but the condos are $400 per night and more! Yikes!

WOW. number one is a killer.

I have made the drive in as little as 90 minutes....and as LONG as just over three hours.

the difference is if some one has an accident and the whole freeway slows to a crawl (for no apparent reason!) by the time you get to where the accident was, they are gone. (towed off, etc.) and it is as if by magic, the traffic resumes to freeway speed!

since it is from Anaheim to San Diego on a sunday (no particular time/destination) I would say allow yourself two hours at minimum.
sea world to legoland (most direct route is up I-5) is probably 30 minutes or less (UNLESS during rush hour 16:00-18:00) then it might take a bit more time.

(I note that those times are assuming that you can drive in moderate to heavy freeway traffic! I had some family friends from the midwest visit, and they had never experienced the levels of traffic they got caught in, so they slowed down a bit)

enjoy the drives!

I'll be driving from San Diego to Anaheim on a Thursday in a couple of weeks. How is that drive?

I'll be driving from San Diego to Anaheim on a Thursday in a couple of weeks. How is that drive?

depends on where you start from in San Diego and at what time. but if you allow two to two and one half hours, you should be okay.

like any big city, rush hour(s) can mess up your planning.;)

I have looked for condos there, but they are either too expensive or not right on the beach. I think I need to not be stuck on that. It would be nice to explore a different area like Carlsbad so I'll keep looking at vrbo.com. There is a nice resort there, but the condos are $400 per night and more! Yikes!

does it have to be a condo? some of the long term "hotels" may be the way to go.

if you want to stay in a condo "on the beach" I think that 2K is about the lower of the going prices. June is a busy tourist time, so I would think that the prices you are being quoted are probably pretty reasonable.

I would stay away from IB (Imperial beach) its right next to the border and has continuing problems with the raw sewage runoff from Tijuana. if you are beach goers.

does it have to be a condo? some of the long term "hotels" may be the way to go.

if you want to stay in a condo "on the beach" I think that 2K is about the lower of the going prices. June is a busy tourist time, so I would think that the prices you are being quoted are probably pretty reasonable.

I would stay away from IB (Imperial beach) its right next to the border and has continuing problems with the raw sewage runoff from Tijuana. if you are beach goers.

Thank you, Grumpy Pirate. We will be spending 90% of our time on the beach, so definitely want to avoid nasty sewage runoff!!!! I guess I was looking at condos just for the kitchen and washer and dryer access, but I'm sure there are hotels with that, so thanks for that advice. We HAVE to have a pool too, so that would be easier to find in a hotel than a lot of condos we have seen.

depends on where you start from in San Diego and at what time. but if you allow two to two and one half hours, you should be okay.

like any big city, rush hour(s) can mess up your planning.;)

It will be late morning from the airport.

Ok have another "How's the drive" question for you.

We are heading to Disneyland after Comic Con on Sunday, probably hit the road around 6:30-7:00 PM. We haven't made this particular drive before, gone the other way and to/from San Diego/Vegas so I'm trying to plan for it so DH doesn't get too antsy. I'm assuming since that is the close of the Con the freeway will be rather packed as everyone else heads North but I'm not sure if there is any type of rush hour to add to it.
My orignal thought was to head to Anaheim to check in to our hotel then hit Portillo's in Buena Park for dinner but the more I think about it we might be better off having dinner in Old Town and then driving up to Anaheim after the masses have thinned a bit. I'm guessing if we go with my orignal plan we could be looking at 3 or so hours with a lot of sitting in traffic but if we wait it might be more like 2 hours of moving slowly but at least moving.

Thoughts?

Is there anywhere near San Diego where we could see sea lions? I mean in the ocean, not Sea World LOL.

Ok have another "How's the drive" question for you.

We are heading to Disneyland after Comic Con on Sunday, probably hit the road around 6:30-7:00 PM. We haven't made this particular drive before, gone the other way and to/from San Diego/Vegas so I'm trying to plan for it so DH doesn't get too antsy. I'm assuming since that is the close of the Con the freeway will be rather packed as everyone else heads North but I'm not sure if there is any type of rush hour to add to it.
My orignal thought was to head to Anaheim to check in to our hotel then hit Portillo's in Buena Park for dinner but the more I think about it we might be better off having dinner in Old Town and then driving up to Anaheim after the masses have thinned a bit. I'm guessing if we go with my orignal plan we could be looking at 3 or so hours with a lot of sitting in traffic but if we wait it might be more like 2 hours of moving slowly but at least moving.

Thoughts?

Ya, this is a hard one.

The plus is it is a SUNDAY as if this was a week day evening with 'work' rush hour traffic, I would definitely say wait. But then again as the CON gets out, it will be crazy with everyone leaving SD for the highways and byways. I think being as it is a Sunday, if you choose to leave right away, it will be the 2 hours of 'moving' traffic. I don't think you will sit but you will move slowly. As you head towards North County (Carlsbad, Oceanside) it will really thin out and as you hit Pendleton, thins out more and then viola you are in the OC!

If I were you, I would definitely go to Old Towne and eat … that way IF you indeed even hit some traffic after you have had dinner, it will not be anywhere what it would have been when CON let out AND you will not be hungry!!! :goodvibes

Is there anywhere near San Diego where we could see sea lions? I mean in the ocean, not Sea World LOL.

http://www.aquarium.ucsd.edu/

We have yet to stop in here yet, but look through this website or call them. It is a little hidden gem in La Jolla called the BIRCH AQUARIUM affiliated with the University of California/San Diego!!

I believe they mention a whale watching expedition and you get to see 'sea lions'!!! I have friends that have been here to the aquarium and RAVE about it!!!

HTH!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter