New San Diego Questions Thread!

Ya, this is a hard one.

The plus is it is a SUNDAY as if this was a week day evening with 'work' rush hour traffic, I would definitely say wait. But then again as the CON gets out, it will be crazy with everyone leaving SD for the highways and byways. I think being as it is a Sunday, if you choose to leave right away, it will be the 2 hours of 'moving' traffic. I don't think you will sit but you will move slowly. As you head towards North County (Carlsbad, Oceanside) it will really thin out and as you hit Pendleton, thins out more and then viola you are in the OC!

If I were you, I would definitely go to Old Towne and eat … that way IF you indeed even hit some traffic after you have had dinner, it will not be anywhere what it would have been when CON let out AND you will not be hungry!!! :goodvibes

Thanks! I think we will just eat first cause traffic and hunger will make both DH and me cranky. :rolleyes: We're using the trolley to get back and forth from our hotel in Old Town and the Con so it will be easy to eat then get the car and go. Plus that way we won't have to choose between our two favorite Old Town resturants - we'll have time to eat at both. :woohoo:

Thanks! I think we will just eat first cause traffic and hunger will make both DH and me cranky. :rolleyes: We're using the trolley to get back and forth from our hotel in Old Town and the Con so it will be easy to eat then get the car and go. Plus that way we won't have to choose between our two favorite Old Town resturants - we'll have time to eat at both. :woohoo:

I think that is a great plan!!! Ya, traffic and hunger make me and DH 'cranky' too!!! And the bonus for you both is one more meal in Old Towne, just love love love that place!!! :cool1:

I am jealous of you, did you know that Comic Con sold out in Feb in a manner of hours … we did not get our tickets … :sad2:

I think that is a great plan!!! Ya, traffic and hunger make me and DH 'cranky' too!!! And the bonus for you both is one more meal in Old Towne, just love love love that place!!! :cool1:

I am jealous of you, did you know that Comic Con sold out in Feb in a manner of hours … we did not get our tickets … :sad2:

Any advice for those who booked their trip already to SD that weekend and didn't know anything about Comic Con going on? Are most people who go inside the event all day and night or is everything else super crowded too? I am wondering what sightseeing might be like.

We're going to Cafe Coyote and Jack & Guilos! Love Old Town.
Yeah we tried for hours to get our tickets and finally got them but we had to get 4 1 day passes rather than a 4 day pass. :headache: But I am happy to be going, keep your eye on the Con website since a lot of people ended up buying too many tickets because of all the problems with the ticket system so there will probably be a lot of refunded tickets put back on sale in June. Good luck!

Any advice for those who booked their trip already to SD that weekend and didn't know anything about Comic Con going on? Are most people who go inside the event all day and night or is everything else super crowded too? I am wondering what sightseeing might be like.

I went to the Con in '09 and for the most part it seemed that most people were in the convention center during the convention but when it ended each night downtown and the Gaslamp got really crowded. I would say if you aren't going to be in the immediate convention center area you should be fine for sightseeing though depending on where you're staying you might notice some crowds at and around your hotel.

Is there anywhere near San Diego where we could see sea lions? I mean in the ocean, not Sea World LOL.

La Jolla Cove. The Children's Pool there has tons of harbor seals, but the rocks leading up to Children's Pool almost always have sea lions.

We are planning a 12 day maybe 14 day trip depending on how much $$ we are at we are looking at coming in June 17 2012 going to Grand Cal in DL for 5 nights go to Knott Berry Farm and then take the drive down to San Diego guessing about 2.5 hours? Then we want to do Legoland entire day? How long is the Drive? Sea World all day? Zoo all day? Safari park all day? Can we fit other things in if we do not need a entire day or should I plan on a entire day at each of the above? I was planning on getting the City Pass is that the best way to go? Where should we stay--I know alot of places do not have prices out yet but comparing them to this years I would like to stay $200 or under if that is possible.
I have been to Disney World over 20 times, but have not been to DL/california since I was a little kid 20ish years ago. Thanks

What is the weather in May? do they experience rain

We have "May Gray"... Basically that means that in the mornings there is a chilly (50's or 60's) fog that doesn't clear until around 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon. The average low says 60 on weather.com, but I know for a fact it can be colder than that in the mornings. It says the average high is 69, I'd say that sounds about right.

We are planning a 12 day maybe 14 day trip depending on how much $$ we are at we are looking at coming in June 17 2012 going to Grand Cal in DL for 5 nights go to Knott Berry Farm and then take the drive down to San Diego guessing about 2.5 hours? Then we want to do Legoland entire day? How long is the Drive? Sea World all day? Zoo all day? Safari park all day? Can we fit other things in if we do not need a entire day or should I plan on a entire day at each of the above? I was planning on getting the City Pass is that the best way to go? Where should we stay--I know alot of places do not have prices out yet but comparing them to this years I would like to stay $200 or under if that is possible.
I have been to Disney World over 20 times, but have not been to DL/california since I was a little kid 15-20ish years ago. Thanks

I'd plan for at least a two hour drive from Anaheim to San Diego, but more if there is traffic.

You will need at least one day each for the zoo, Safari Park, and Sea World. I haven't been to Legoland so I don't know that one. City Pass includes 3 days at Disney, one day at Universal, one day at Sea World, and one day at EITHER the zoo or safari park (not both). Since you don't mention wanting to go to Universal and want to do Legoland and both the zoo and the park as well as more than 3 days at Disneyland, it seems like it's not really a good option for you. One thing you can buy that is a good deal is the San Diego 3-for-1 pass (you can buy it at the zoo's website or SW's website). It includes unlimited entry to the zoo, Safari Park, AND Sea World for five days from first use for $129 ($99 for kids 3-9). That's a great value, since buying them separately would be $149.99.

My DH's family planned a reunion for the weekend of Comic con, not knowing that it was the same weekend. We used to live in SD so we are familiar with the area, but not the convention itself. Our plan was to leave town on Sunday afternoon/early evening and we will be driving north. I didn't even think about Comic con ending at the same time & all of the traffic it would cause. Do you know what time it officially gets over? It would be nice to get out of town before that time.

Also, we are considering going to Seaworld for a day or 2. I am trying to find menus with pricing on the internet. Do you know where I can find that?

Oh sorry I meant the go pass

The Go Pass includes Legoland, so that would probably save you money. You should check into some hotel packages though, because many of the hotels include SeaWorld & Zoo tickets. Try Ares travel, AAA or getawaytoday for some pricing packages. Legoland has a water park and Sealife aquarium. If you want to spend time at the water park then you may need two days. Sounds like a great trip! Have fun!

My DH's family planned a reunion for the weekend of Comic con, not knowing that it was the same weekend. We used to live in SD so we are familiar with the area, but not the convention itself. Our plan was to leave town on Sunday afternoon/early evening and we will be driving north. I didn't even think about Comic con ending at the same time & all of the traffic it would cause. Do you know what time it officially gets over? It would be nice to get out of town before that time.

Also, we are considering going to Seaworld for a day or 2. I am trying to find menus with pricing on the internet. Do you know where I can find that?

The convention offically ends at 5 PM though some people may leave earlier.

usually how I drive...DL to sandiego in 2.5 hrs. with no stop..moderate traffic. I would go with the SanDiego 3-1 pass. I think they have a website..its a good deal and will save money vs paying separately :)

would you choose the regular zoo or the wild animal one? We want to do one of them but probably not enought time/money for both. Thanks.

We just got back from our first trip to California this past Tues. Drive from LAX to San diego took us about 2.5 hours and this was around 6pm. Visited Legoland all day from 10-5closing. However, never got a chance to walk through miniland. Then the next day did SD Zoo till closing. Seen pretty much everything. Had to rush through the last 15min in Outback. Relaxed at Balboa Park after we checked out the next day before drive to Disneyland which took about under 2hours.
We didn't hit any major traffic jams. Thanks to GPS we found where we needed to go safely and we used the carpool lanes too.

would you choose the regular zoo or the wild animal one? We want to do one of them but probably not enough time/money for both. Thanks.

That really depends on what you're looking for. The zoo has more animals and more variety of animals compared to the Safari Park, but it is also a different kind of experience where you take a tram through their very large, expansive exhibits to give the feeling of being on "safari". The Safari Park is mostly African animals, whereas the zoo has a huge variety from all over the world (koalas, polar bears, camels, pandas, etc.)

Both parks require a lot of walking, so don't let that be a deciding factor. Parking at the zoo is free, parking at the Safari Park is $10. The Safari Park is about 40 minutes closer to Anaheim than the zoo, but it is also off the beaten trail, so if you're not renting a car, it's harder to take public transportation there.

They are both great parks though, so you can't go wrong :)

I'm arriving in San Diego on Sunday, May 1st for business and staying through the 6th. I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Carlsbad. Anything interesting going on in the evenings? TIA!!

Also, I saw how many stores are at the Outlet Mall in Carlsbad and boy, am I excited!!! :cloud9: Does anyone shop there??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter