Multiple Sclerosis

@Mizzoufan -wishing you all the best. I would suggest keeping a notepad nearby and taking notes on everything. The doctors come into your room telling you this that and the other, and your mind just does not absorb half of what they're saying. Don't be afraid to ask them to repeat things (over and over if necessary). If you decide to research MS online, be careful. It's easy to start looking at studies only to find out they're outdated. Medicine is advancing by leaps and bounds, my cousin is on an experimental drug for MS at the Cleveland Clinic. His active lesions went from 50 down to 3 in a matter of months.

Best of luck to you, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I can see how this is all very scary. I work with someone who is in her 50s and has had MS for decades. You would never know she has it by looking at her. I am not sure what medication she takes.

I was listening to the radio just a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about a breakthrough treatment for MS. I can't remember what they said, but I remember thinking that it sounds very promising and I hope it helps a lot of people suffering with MS. It's a new way of treating it.

Hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sending so many hugs to you!! My husband's family carries a rare, chronic illness, he has it and both of our children have it (it's Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis for anyone in the medical field). We've found great support (both medically and emotionally) in on-line groups. Don't overlook needing emotional support from others who are in your situation. And of course all of us here at the Dis :flower3:

I know everyone means well, but please do not suggest changing your diet to cure this disease. It takes strong medication and continual care from a dr to control it. I know it's coming from a good place but just because it worked for one person does not mean it will work for another. I went 8ish years without an attack and I was not following a diet or doing something holistically. Unfortunately with this disease, there's no rhyme or reason..it's all just dumb luck.

Exactly, builds false hope. A person starts eating a "MS wonder diet" they suddenly become well again, thinks "oh wow it really works, have not had a relapse for xxx days/weeks/months".....who is to say the relapse wasn't on its way out and they would have had any more releases anyway? This disease is not predictable, your can not say "oh it is Wednesday i am due for a relapse, it just doesn't work that way.

Changing a diet for better health, overall, is great, but that is all, there is no cure for MS, lots of research but no cure, lots of new medications, but still no cure. I am sure if diet was the "cure" a Dr would suggest it at time of diagnosis.

Last edited:
Today hasn't started out to great. Woke up sick to my stomach. freezing to death. I[m so sleepy. I work up in sweat. and I'm very cranky. Not try to whine just being honest. Thank you for checking on me

You are allowed to be cranky and whine about this, you are sick and it is from nothing you did. Just try to rest, have you been given anything for the sick feeling? Ask the dr for something to settle your stomach

My one sister's husband was diagnosed with MS 15 years ago. He is doing really well - he does have some rougher days, but most of the time you would never guess he had any illness at all. Another sister's husband was diagnosed just over a year ago. He had a very tough time in the beginning while they were sorting out his medications, but for the past eight months or so he has been doing very well. And I work with a professor at the university who was diagnosed about 40 years ago. He is in a wheelchair now but still conducts research, teaches, and is very popular with everyone. A brilliant guy.

@Mizzoufan I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I just wanted to send you well wishes and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the doctors are able to come up with a definitive answer for you soon.

There have been a lot of great suggestions on here and I know that everyone is entitled to state their opinion but perhaps this thread could maybe take a pass from the debating and just stick to supporting Mizzoufan? @kimblebee is speaking from personal experience and is being realistic in what someone can expect with an MS diagnosis. Trying to debate the merits of her personal experiences and asking for studies, etc is counterproductive to the spirit of this particular thread.

There's always something that doesn't work.

I do not have MS but after having severe sepsis where I almost died I have some nerve damage that has symptoms similar to MS.

Just accept what life brings and live with it.

My best friend has MS-diagnosised 20 years ago. For the most part she lives a very active normal life. There are flare ups where she might go numb in her hands or arms and miss a couple of days of work (maybe 3 times a year), and there are certain environmental triggers she has to avoid (for her it's extreme heat so no laying out at the beach). Other than that she is one of the physically healthiest people I know. She lives more in a week than I do in a month and she raised 5 kids since her diagnosis.

Every case is different but for many this is something that can be lived around for decades and decades without being an all consuming condition so please take heart in that.

There have been a lot of great suggestions on here and I know that everyone is entitled to state their opinion but perhaps this thread could maybe take a pass from the debating and just stick to supporting Mizzoufan? [USER=240334]@kimblebee
is speaking from personal experience and is being realistic in what someone can expect with an MS diagnosis. Trying to debate the merits of her personal experiences and asking for studies, etc is counterproductive to the spirit of this particular thread.[/USER]

Personal (not physical) and realistic experience here too, full time home carer for my sister, who has MS, going on 15 years now.

Last edited:
Mizzoufan, I hope things go well for you. But in the meantime, here's a cool short documentary on a young woman with MS that may offer some hope if your fears are confirmed.

I'm sorry for what you're going through now, and I wanted you to know I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for the best health possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter