• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Multiple Sclerosis

Oh man, I remember the solumedrol..made me see bugs when I was tapering off.

I know everyone means well, but please do not suggest changing your diet to cure this disease. It takes strong medication and continual care from a dr to control it. I know it's coming from a good place but just because it worked for one person does not mean it will work for another. I went 8ish years without an attack and I was not following a diet or doing something holistically. Unfortunately with this disease, there's no rhyme or reason..it's all just dumb luck.
I can't change my diet currently. I have to certain food while I'm on this IV

Hi Mizzoufan :flower3:. Believe it or not, Canada has some of the highest rates of MS per capita on the globe. There's practically not a Canadian woman alive of a certain age that hasn't experienced certain symptoms and wondered "do I have MS?" My own doctor uses a checklist as part of his routine screening during annual physicals, and I have been "worked up" myself.

I know at least 1/2 dozen people with the condition; 5 women and one man. Only one was beset at a young age like Kimblebee and her case has been by far the most debilitating. For the rest (now in their 50's and 60's), they suffer varying degrees of impairment but deal with it as a chronic condition and manage the symptoms to maximize their qualities of life. As has been said, no two cases are identical.

I'd imagine your nerves are getting the best of you this morning, which is understandable. Try not to run every possible "worst case scenario" through a loop in your mind - take it one step at a time. Don't be afraid to let people IRL know what you're going through so that they can love on you. Grace and peace to you. :grouphug:

I know everyone means well, but please do not suggest changing your diet to cure this disease. It takes strong medication and continual care from a dr to control it. I know it's coming from a good place but just because it worked for one person does not mean it will work for another. I went 8ish years without an attack and I was not following a diet or doing something holistically. Unfortunately with this disease, there's no rhyme or reason..it's all just dumb luck.

That is your opinion and you're welcome to it but thousands of MS patients and many doctors have said otherwise. I know you have MS however I have very close people to me also have/had the disease. I've seen it treated various ways and not at all with different results. I'm not suggesting not taking any drugs.

That is your opinion and you're welcome to it but thousands of MS patients and many doctors have said otherwise. I know you have MS however I have very close people to me also have/had the disease. I've seen it treated various ways and not at all with different results. I'm not suggesting not taking any drugs.

Any studies?

I guess that is meant for me. My aunt is a fan of Dr. Wahls's and her diet ideas for treating MS. Dr. Wahls's has MS herself and was in a wheel chair, with her conditions progressively becoming worse with different treatments tried. It was not till she changed her diet that Dr. Wahls was able to regain some of her strength back. The doctors story has been an inspiration for my aunt apparently. The few times I see or communicate with her she talks about her Wahls diet and how it has helped.

I know that the doctor conducts MS studies and diet at the University of Iowa. My aunt signed up for one of the studies and was accepted. She had to pass on the study though because of the distance involved in being examined in Iowa.

If it might help, Dr. Wahls's sight can be seen here.

http://terrywahls.com

I've seen a few of Dr. Wahls talks on You Tube. A couple examples:

Today hasn't started out to great. Woke up sick to my stomach. freezing to death. I[m so sleepy. I work up in sweat. and I'm very cranky. Not try to whine just being honest. Thank you for checking on me

You are not whining! Have the dr.s given you any info or test results? Hope you get some answers soon.

((((HUGS)))).

Did this come on suddenly? Are you in pain? Weakness in walking, or up the stairs type thing? I have known several people with MS and yes, they are all different with symptoms and whatnot. My dad rode his bike for 12 years in the "MS 150 City to Shore" annual bike a thon. It ran from Philly to Ocean City, NJ and back...a 2 day trek. He stopped a couple of years due to my moms illness and then illness of his own. He is 81 and would still ride if he could....his illness 2 years ago, took away some of his endurance. He still rides his bike but that is just a bit too much for him now.

I have MS in the back of my mind as I have issues right now. however, I am nearly certain mine is coming from orthopedic issues at the moment. I have severe arthritis in my hip and I know I have arthritis in my spine, as well as degenerative disc disease, herniated discs and stenosis. However, a couple of weeks ago, I started having trouble walking and my legs are very stiff. I just finished a Medrol dose pack which did not help. I will be getting a cortisone injection in my hip and need to have an MRI of spine. But, am getting a bit nervous there is something else going on.

Hope you feel better and get answers quickly. Sending healing vibes your way.

Just stopped by this thread to check in and see how you are doing today. Thinking of you.

When do you get the results of your spinal tap?

I believe I got the thread started on the "diet change" topic--didn't mean to cause controversy.

They sent my spinal test out to the Mayo clinic to be tested could take a while. The Radiologist and the Neurologist are pretty confident that I have MS.

Yes, I'm in lots of pain horrible headaches dizzy and weak leg aches. They keep me in pain meds.

Yes, I'm in lots of pain horrible headaches dizzy and weak leg aches. They keep me in pain meds.

Will you be staying another night? Hope you can get a firm diagnosis and a plan soon. Do you have a good support system with you?

:grouphug:

...If you have this or know someone that does can you please share any info you have on the disease.

Hopefully it is something simpler and more temporary than MS, but if not - I've known two people with that disease, and I can say treatment has come a long way! A friend of my mom's had it when I was a kid back in the 70s, and I remember helping with her wheelchair. A co-worker of DH's has it today, and you would never know it if she didn't tell you. She takes medication, but goes about a normal life with minimal problems.

I will be thinking about you and hoping for the best!

Mizzou..in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there. :hug:

Don't think anyone is suggesting, that a change in diet will cure anything. Eating a healthy balanced diet is great for overall well being. Any positive improvement is very welcome when dealing with chronic illness and pain.

Last edited:
Today hasn't started out to great. Woke up sick to my stomach. freezing to death. I[m so sleepy. I work up in sweat. and I'm very cranky. Not try to whine just being honest. Thank you for checking on me
I hate steroids!! They make me feel a lot worse, before I see any benefit.

Mizzou..in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there. :hug:

Don't think anyone is suggesting, that a change in diet will cure anything. Eating a healthy balanced diet is great for overall well being. Any positive improvement is very welcome when dealing with chronic illness and pain.

I definitely agree with you, eating healthier is a good idea for everyone.

I'm not trying to single anyone out..just don't like when people throw out eating habits as a way to make everything better or that it for sure makes a difference. No one knows.

But like I said earlier, if that's the route someone wants to take..have at it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter