Multiple Sclerosis

Mizzoufan

DIS Veteran
So, I'm currently in the hospital been tested for MS. They are fairly likely sure I have this :( I'm really scared If you have this or know someone that does can you please share any info you have on the disease. thanks

Hey.

First off, MS isn't a death sentence. I know right now you're scared and thinking worse case scenario, but take a deep breath. Then take another. You can get through this.

I was diagnosed almost 20 years ago, when I was 22. I have relapsing-remitting which is the least severe, but it still affects me daily. Have the doctors discussed any possible type with you? What were your symptoms that led to your possible diagnosis? I first had double vision and was told it was just an infection in the muscle of my eye. About a month after that I went numb on the left side from head to toe.

There are lots of treatments available, although I know nothing about payment and insurance.

We can continue to talk here or you can PM me if you prefer.

They did a Lumbar puncture that was fun not. Headache big time. I'm a extreme high dosage of steroids.

They did a Lumbar puncture that was fun not. Headache big time. I'm a extreme high dosage of steroids.

I didn't have to have a spinal tap, that would have freaked me out. I was diagnosed with an MRI and a CAT scan and tests with my neurologist. Usually they like to have two separate attacks before MS is a possibility. Please keep us updated.

Also, if you are diagnosed, look for a support group. I went to one when I was first diagnosed and it really helped me to know I wasn't alone. I was the youngest there by 30 years but that's besides the point lol

I'm really sorry. I hope they figure out what's wrong. I knew a few people who have had MS for 20+ years. There has been impact to their lives but it hasn't stopped them from continuing with their lives. They do all the things they want. Somethings require modifications but are still possible.

As scary as it try to remember that knowledge is empowering. Learn all you can and don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand or agree.

Sending good thoughts.

I am very sorry to hear this news. Hang in there. I have heard treatments have come a long way for MS. What were your symptoms? Please keep us updated.

My FIL lived way more than 30 years with MS. He was diagnosed before I ever met him (I've been married 35 years!) and died in 2014 at 80 years of age. He lived a very full and rich life, until just the last few years before his death. He traveled a ton, saw lots of things, exercised daily, etc. It most definitely is a disease that can be managed very well for decades. :-) He used a cane for a couple of decades, went to a walker for another decade and then in the last few years, wheel chair. The biggest thing is he never gave up. Kept moving. Kept active. And lived a full, happy life despite his illness.

Weak legs mainly.

Well, what Mickynutty wrote is very encouraging. There are many of us here with chronic illnesses, maybe we should form our own little club. Please keep us updated. I know it feels like your world is crashing down around you and you are scared out of your mind, but as you become more informed, get a diagnosis and a plan etc. you will feel better and more in control.

I was tested for Multiple Sclerosis but don't have it. I have Spastic Paraplegia, and yes, when I was told I had it, I went "Spa---what???" My understanding is that if you have MS, your symptoms will probably extend to more than just your legs. All my symptoms are in my legs-numbness, can hardly walk because I have no balance. But from the waist up, I'm fine. However, a good friend of mine was recently diagnosed with MS. They often call it Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia, but in about 30% of cases, there's no hereditary factor found. Please feel free to PM me if this becomes a possibility.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is not promised, live today to the fullest.

Someone told me he believes his pet dog is happy is because it doesn't know there is a tomorrow. It lives in the present.

Fingers crossed that things go well. I had a problem with my legs not working, vertigo, etc. and was tested for MS. They never did find a reason for what I had, diagnosed a virus, and it slowly got better over about 8 months. This was 7 years ago now. I've had one less dramatic re occurrence which they said was another virus and was unusual and unlucky but a separate thing and that has been it. MS stays in the back of my mind as a possibility, but so far so good.

I've known a few other people who've had what looked to be a chronic disease and turned out to be a virus as well. Maybe you'll luck out.

Hugs, hugs, hugs to you. I can only imagine how scary it is to be going through the diagnosis process. Please keep up posted. I just said a prayer for you.

My sister is a holistic medicine nurse practitioner and has had amazing results in some of her patients with auto immune disorders by drastically changing their diet.

You are a strong person on the DIS and I'm sure that extends into real life. Whatever the diagnosis is ... you got this ... and we have your back. {{hugs}}

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter