(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

He is like a child at Christmas when we hit Publix and he can get 24 case if beer for $18...that would cost him $50 here!

Lemme guess? Fellow Canadian? :)
Anytime we're over for a 48 we make sure we stock up before we come home. Ridiculous the difference in the price.

Lemme guess? Fellow Canadian? :)
Anytime we're over for a 48 we make sure we stock up before we come home. Ridiculous the difference in the price.

Guilty! But no chance to stock up for us..we're from Newfoundland (so you know my hubby gets his money's worth while in Florida haha)

Yes, I agree with this. The people we saw drunk were at EP. I "get" the appeal of the Drink Around the World concept, and in a different time or place sure, we'd try it! But a family theme park with thousands of children milling about, is neither the time or the place. That said, it would be nice if they would offer it as a special, after-hours, adult-only event. In fact, it would be nice if they did some special "adult-only" after hours evenings, period, in all the parks. I imagine there would be more than a few who would go for that.

Maybe they could do like on the cruise ships and offer a kids club area for the kids and then an adults area

You do see a few more things that are clearly aimed at adults and often don't have a kids price (that is, kids can come but they pay the same amount). Thinking of thing like Club Villian

I don't have a problem with it but it would be nice if the drinks were themed to the restaurant. Say for Skipper's Canteen the wine be from India or Africa. I always enjoy getting a glass of wine at Brown Derby from one of the wineries owed by people you would see on the walls.

Well, so far it is only beer and wine but they are themeing the choices a bit to the location:

(from the Orlando Sentinel article)
Tony’s Town Square Restaurant, an Italian restaurant in the park’s Main Street area, will offer Italian wines and beers, including a Chianti Superiore designated to pair with the grilled pork chop with mushroom-bean pancetta ragu and marsala reduction.

Liberty Tree Tavern will serve beer, cider and domestic wines to go with its American cuisine. Koziol paired a New England lager with the Patriot’s Platter of roast turkey, roast pork and prime rib.

Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen in Adventureland will have a more global beverage menu, with drinks such as a riesling to pair with Trader Sam’s head-on shrimp.

Cinderella’s Royal Table, which host many special occasions at its spot in the center of the park, will serve champagne and sparkling wine.

personally I think if they are going to do this they should add tropical drinks to Skipper's Canteen but otherwise I think the approach makes sense

I agree.

I had 3 drinks at Epcot, over the course of 2 days. They ran me $8-$10 dollars each. Ouch.

Drinking around the World? Be ready to plunk down $100 or more.

Maybe it depends where you are from. That's pretty typical price for drinks around where I am (NYC and the suburbs north). Not to say they are cheap but more that if I go out around here and have a drink or two it adds about the same to the bill ... and we just always budget for drinks when on vacation

I think that Disney has used the drinking around the world phenomenon to patch a theme park that has too few attractions. I am guilty (just like the masses you see in Epcot) of planning trips to enjoy the ever-growing list of festivals that have now come to dominate the Epcot calendar. Disney has included the food and wine "marketplaces" in these festivals not only to make money but to attract visitors and provide the entertainment value of snacking (or drinking) your way around World Showcase, where the traditional attractions don't gather crowds. If a guest is in line for a drink in World Showcase, he or she has freed up a space in line at Test Track or Soarin.

I don't think MK is in the same situation as its attractions have aged well and the "headliners" there far outnumber those at Epcot (thus, no FP tiering).

That's my two cents on why Disney doesn't cut down on the alcohol service over at Epcot. As others have pointed out, DHS and AK also serve liquor, beer, and wine, but dont have quite the same reputation for a place to drink and stroll. Note that DHS, after shuttering many of its attractions for construction, also tested food kiosks around Echo Lake this year. I tried them but I don't know many others who did - so the phenomenon didn't catch on there. I wouldn't put it past Disney to announce a new festival event coming to DHS, though, even if that park lacks a world showcase to absorb the crowds.

Yes, I agree with this. The people we saw drunk were at EP. I "get" the appeal of the Drink Around the World concept, and in a different time or place sure, we'd try it! But a family theme park with thousands of children milling about, is neither the time or the place. That said, it would be nice if they would offer it as a special, after-hours, adult-only event. In fact, it would be nice if they did some special "adult-only" after hours evenings, period, in all the parks. I imagine there would be more than a few who would go for that.

I'd also add in all the times I've been to Disney (including several dimes during Food and Wine festival) I have never seen anyone really drunk (a little tipsy, yes, but not to the point they were obnoxious or anything) ... and not saying that to imply I don't think it happens just that it might be impacting my view. If I had multiple encounters with drunk people negatively impacting my vacation I might feel differently

I am excited about this. I like to really enjoy myself on vacation and having a drink with dinner is what I want! If I do decide to try CRT someday (haven't yet d/t ridiculous pricing) I would love to have a glass of champagne! I enjoy the Kroenbourg blanc at BOG every trip. Looking forward to our next trip! 2017!

I'd also add in all the times I've been to Disney (including several dimes during Food and Wine festival) I have never seen anyone really drunk (a little tipsy, yes, but not to the point they were obnoxious or anything) ... and not saying that to imply I don't think it happens just that it might be impacting my view. If I had multiple encounters with drunk people negatively impacting my vacation I might feel differently
THIS. I spend a ton of time at Epcot (and especially La Cava) and I've never seen people who can't walk in a straight line or who are fall-down drunk.

I also think that sometimes people see what they want to see. My group of friends will often walk in a large pack in Epcot, sometimes with drinks in our hands, laughing and being giggly and loud. I'm sure some of the tsk-tskers must assume we're drunk. We're not. Just adults having fun on a vacation we paid just as much to take as a family with kids.

With that said, I wouldn't be a big fan of alcohol kiosks being present like they are in the other three theme parks.

Nothing against folks having a drink with their meal, as long as the CMs act like bartenders and know when to cut someone off. Definately opposed to adding alcohol kiosks.

What drove me up a wall on my last trip was visiting Germany in the World Showcase. I lived in Germany for several years and my Urgroßmutter came from Nürnberg, so I like the German culture. I don't object to folks buying a German bier at Epcot, but the amount of people who were a relatively small area buying beer at the stands caused it to feel like it was very crowded. It also made weaving through the crowds with trays of food and drink more difficult.

It's not the fact that alcohol is available. Most are responsible drinkers. The problem is that if someone is NOT a responsible drinker, it's not dealt with in an appropriate manner - it's a "people problem", and there needs to be repercussions for inappropriate behavior. Deal with the bad behavior and you fix the problem.

Agree 100%. I wish they were a little more strict with enforcing other rules as well. (Ex: no flash photography during shows, etc.)

I'm just happy to see that it's limited to TS dining spots. It's not unreasonable to want some beer or wine with dinner, and I don't think it will lead to major issues. I would prefer this to be the policy in AK and DHS as well TBH - I understand I'm probably in the minority there.

Drinks are fine at restaurants. People get out of control at Epcot, but I HIGHLY doubt that they get out of control after throwing down 7-8 drinks at Tutto Italia over the course of 3 hours. As long as they don't set up kiosks so you can grab drinks as you wander the park, I don't see too much of an issue bringing in some more revenue this way.

Even if it wasn't limited to table service restaurants, I don't see the Magic Kingdom be a big draw for people looking to do pub crawls like you see in Epcot. The Magic Kingdom is more ride heavy, whereas the World Showcase is mainly exhibitions you just walk around, which is way more conducive to the drinking.

THIS. I spend a ton of time at Epcot (and especially La Cava) and I've never seen people who can't walk in a straight line or who are fall-down drunk.

I also think that sometimes people see what they want to see. My group of friends will often walk in a large pack in Epcot, sometimes with drinks in our hands, laughing and being giggly and loud. I'm sure some of the tsk-tskers must assume we're drunk. We're not. Just adults having fun on a vacation we paid just as much to take as a family with kids.

We saw it once with a group of guys in some scrubs. Really horrific. At dinner at Spice Road and they were huddled under the awning (storms were rolling through) screaming and cussing. Multiple tables complained and they were told to move along. We went back to beach club and my daughter hung out with my parents while we went back to Epcot. Saw them again wandering around worse than before (and wandering as in side to side walking more than forward). They said something horrible to some woman and my wife literally grabbed my arm as I started to go after them.

NOW, let me say this. On our way out the back gate, we mentioned it to security and pointed them out heading over the bridge from England, and they jumped a radio and three guys BOOKED after them. Can't imagine it ended well for them. It just takes a single guest complaint and they will deal with the moron drunks.

Even if it wasn't limited to table service restaurants, I don't see the Magic Kingdom be a big draw for people looking to do pub crawls like you see in Epcot. The Magic Kingdom is more ride heavy, whereas the World Showcase is mainly exhibitions you just walk around, which is way more conducive to the drinking.

I disagree. Drink around the lands. Do a drink in the Tomorrowland/Fantasyland/Main Street/Liberty Square/Frontier Land/Adventureland.

I disagree. Drink around the lands. Do a drink in the Tomorrowland/Fantasyland/Main Street/Liberty Square/Frontier Land/Adventureland.

I could see a little of that but I really don't see it like people have that goal in EPCOT. I don't see people at AK that feel the need to have a drink in Africa and Asia and Dinloand, etc.

2) Sure, there are lots of people who want to drink.
3) But, there are so many other places this can be done.

Yes, you can take the monorail to the Contemporary, Poly, or Grand Flo if you'd like an alcoholic drink with your meal.

Dislike. Seriously - can't you have a family vacation (and sorry, while many adults love WDW and go on their own, it was originally created for families, so they should be the primary concern) without alcohol? At least within the theme park? I like that MK didn't serve alcohol, since that park especially is focused on children. And yes, we drink. But no, we don't feel it's necessary to have a drink while at a theme park primarily designed for children to enjoy. Nor would we drink at one even if we were there without children. But once again, Disney proves it's about the money, not the original vision. While I'm sure many will just have a drink with dinner and that be it, we all know there's many that will take it further. We didn't appreciate seeing drunk people at WDW, kind of ruins that "child's fantasy world" vibe. That's one thing we both noticed and appreciated at the smaller parks we went to this summer - no alcohol served anywhere or permitted on property. But whatever, I know they'll never give up the cash flow and will only look for ways to expand it.

Out of curiosity, would you serve alcohol if you were to host a family gathering at home? If so, why would serving alcohol in the TS restaurants be a problem? Disney can and should have security address an patron that causes a disturbance (from alcohol or other reason). My drinks of choice are water and iced tea but I have no problem with some who wants to enjoy a beer or glass of wine with a meal. By the way, a "family" can be two adults who either never had kids or are empty nesters.

We enjoyed drinks on our vacation too - just outside of the theme park. But that said, yes I do agree with you that there is a huge difference between having a beer or a glass of wine with your meal, and having several drinks, or drinking the whole day. And no, I really don't think a drink with dinner is a big deal. The problem is however, while you are responsible, many others aren't. Like others have said - maybe if WDW was more responsible in cutting people off, it would be different. There honestly should be a limit - and I think they could easily set up a tracking system within the MB/card system: you have to scan your card or MB every time you purchase a drink. After x-amount, you're done, no more. Is that a perfect system? No, but it would be better than what they do now which is nothing. So, unless they're going to step up and do a better job of taking care of the irresponsible/inconsiderate ones, IMO, better to not have it at all.

Honestly, I have never had a problem with a drunk guest at WDW and we've been going almost every year for almost 40 years. I have had problems with obnoxious guests who think their children should be able to push ahead of others or scream uncontrolled in a TS restaurant or think they can change a diaper wherever they want. I've had problems with people who think that waiting on line is beneath them. I've had problems with guests who push strollers or drive ECVs through crowds without concern for others... I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter