(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

andyman8

DIS Veteran and WDW Passholder
For those lamenting the constant extensions of F&W, this news may not make them feel much better, but I've heard from a number of sources that cast at most MK table-service restaurants are now receiving training to serve alcohol.

It appears they're hoping to debut new alcohol selections at most of MK's table-service restaurants within the next few weeks. MK first started serving alcohol in 2012 at BOG, but this would be the first time guests could order alcoholic beverages at other MK restaurants as well.

Thoughts?

I'm a drinker I LOVE drinking at Epcot, and drinking several drinks. I also think DHS has many vendors to drink while you walk (thank you).

That said, I always liked the fact MK was boozeless. I thought it was truly special. I was disappointed with BOG when they introduced booze. I knew it was the beginning of the end.

So, from this drinker that likes to throw MANY back at the other parks....
No, I don't like it... but it doesn't matter as much now that the seal has been broken with BOG.

MG

As most times I can see both sides. I like my drinks on vacation but I really can limit myself to no more than two a day. Others do not and that's where problems come in. But if it is being limited to only a few sit down restaurants and not being available at a cart, I think it can be controlled better than the other parks. Many times people mention Walt's vision and this is a hard one to call because he was very concerned over this issue.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I, personally, like to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and think it will be nice to have the chance to do so when one of our TS dinners are booked for a MK restaurant. With that said, I wouldn't be a big fan of alcohol kiosks being present like they are in the other three theme parks. The only time I have a drink without dinner is if it's blazing hot outside; I'll purchase one of the frozen alcoholic concoctions that are readily available in the other parks.

I love my beer! On vacation like to drink daily and can really do some damage at Epcot. It is so readily (overpriced of course) available everywhere you turn down there that I don't think it needs to be in mk, you can jump to any of the monorail resorts and get hammered in a short amount of time. I feel like it's another attempt to make sure I don't leave those parks with a penny left in my pockets

Dislike. Seriously - can't you have a family vacation (and sorry, while many adults love WDW and go on their own, it was originally created for families, so they should be the primary concern) without alcohol? At least within the theme park? I like that MK didn't serve alcohol, since that park especially is focused on children. And yes, we drink. But no, we don't feel it's necessary to have a drink while at a theme park primarily designed for children to enjoy. Nor would we drink at one even if we were there without children. But once again, Disney proves it's about the money, not the original vision. While I'm sure many will just have a drink with dinner and that be it, we all know there's many that will take it further. We didn't appreciate seeing drunk people at WDW, kind of ruins that "child's fantasy world" vibe. That's one thing we both noticed and appreciated at the smaller parks we went to this summer - no alcohol served anywhere or permitted on property. But whatever, I know they'll never give up the cash flow and will only look for ways to expand it.

Last edited:
I'm a drinker I LOVE drinking at Epcot, and drinking several drinks. I also think DHS has many vendors to drink while you walk (thank you).

That said, I always liked the fact MK was boozeless. I thought it was truly special. I was disappointed with BOG when they introduced booze. I knew it was the beginning of the end.

So, from this drinker that likes to throw MANY back at the other parks....
No, I don't like it... but it doesn't matter as much now that the seal has been broken with BOG.

MG

I think as long as they don't have kiosk that serves and lets you walk around the park with it, then I dont really have a problem with it. I think it becomes an issue when people continuously drink throughout the entire day while they are walking around and doing things.

It's not the fact that alcohol is available. Most are responsible drinkers. The problem is that if someone is NOT a responsible drinker, it's not dealt with in an appropriate manner - it's a "people problem", and there needs to be repercussions for inappropriate behavior. Deal with the bad behavior and you fix the problem.

Overall I am happy about the news - especially as it seems to be contained to table service locations. As much as I like bed our meal at Skipper's Canteen last trip, it did feel like a place that should have tropical drinks, etc

As others have said I too would prefer hey not have kiosks outside for people to wander around with drinks

I do think that for the most part you don't hear about issues at DHS or AK (which now has a lot of places that sell adult beverages) - it really is just EPCOT which has the whole "drink around the world" goal/thought for some people

Also agree with what others have said that Disney should be better about not serving people that appear very intoxicated and not among them out of there park if they are really bad

I do think that for the most part you don't hear about issues at DHS or AK (which now has a lot of places that sell adult beverages) - it really is just EPCOT which has the whole "drink around the world" goal/thought for some people

Also agree with what others have said that Disney should be better about not serving people that appear very intoxicated and not among them out of there park if they are really bad

Yes, I agree with this. The people we saw drunk were at EP. I "get" the appeal of the Drink Around the World concept, and in a different time or place sure, we'd try it! But a family theme park with thousands of children milling about, is neither the time or the place. That said, it would be nice if they would offer it as a special, after-hours, adult-only event. In fact, it would be nice if they did some special "adult-only" after hours evenings, period, in all the parks. I imagine there would be more than a few who would go for that.

I don't have a problem with it but it would be nice if the drinks were themed to the restaurant. Say for Skipper's Canteen the wine be from India or Africa. I always enjoy getting a glass of wine at Brown Derby from one of the wineries owed by people you would see on the walls.

I, for one, cannot imagine how anyone gets drunk at Disney anyway. The drinks are so expensive and have so little alcohol in them. I can't really picture this being a very big problem.

If you spend a few hours at Trader Sam's it's not that hard. :rolleyes1

It sounds like this is just beer and wine, though, so I really don't see this leading to drunks everywhere in MK (BOG hasn't). I would like to see exotic cocktails at Skipper's Canteen someday, this is a step in that direction.

would tend to agree that the consumption of alcohol at MK is fine as long as it is only with a sit down meal and does not turn onto what it is at Epcot and DHS....that being said, I have zero problem with what they do at Epcot. It is a park that adults can feel more at home in, and may adults do enjoy having drinks in the individual countries. I have been there for many a New Years Eve and have seen the place at it drunkest, and it pales in comparison to your typical red Sox game or family cookout for that matter ;)

I, for one, cannot imagine how anyone gets drunk at Disney anyway. The drinks are so expensive and have so little alcohol in them. I can't really picture this being a very big problem.
I agree.

I had 3 drinks at Epcot, over the course of 2 days. They ran me $8-$10 dollars each. Ouch.

Drinking around the World? Be ready to plunk down $100 or more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!