• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 2017 Discount Watch

Hi, joining in on the code alert. Can't wait for May 6th. We're taking both the entire family (6 people) so will need two rooms. Hoping for a good RO discount, but free dining would help also.
As this morning has shown, free dining is really only released in the fall. But a room discount is probably a definite.

but I am not able to book until I get my tax return back in January/February. Will I miss my chance at getting a discount? Also, we were hoping to book at AOA.. Will I likely not be able to get a discount aat AOA.
As for availability in January/February, no way to tell. Some have had luck booking as late as a few days before a special rate is expired. Others have trouble on day 1 getting what they are looking for. AoA SUITES are usually included. Little Mermaid rooms are either never included or maybe very rarely. Any discounts I have seen does not include Little Mermaid rooms.

Disney released a Disney Visa discount this morning; Stay, Play, Dine. I called in to get some prices, but it really seems like the prices are higher than last year, even with the discount. As of now My existing reservation in a standard room at WL with a DDP and 4 day tickets (with a MM) is nearly $200 LESS than any prices I could get for the Stay, Play, Dine.

I REALLY hope the Spring Discounts are better, and that more are available. When I called at 11 AM they were crazy busy and the CM I spoke to had a lot of trouble finding availability.

I'm going May 7-12. I already booked my room at CSR - looks like several categories are already unavailable for my dates and wanted to be sure I got in. I'm OK with the price as is, but of course would happily apply a discount should one become available! My LO is just a baby so we can go any time of year, but thought May might be a nice time to visit.

This particular travel agency which offers "agency exclusive" offers does some unique things. They will book "conventions" with Disney and secure the convention rate which discounts hotel rooms and tickets. From what I've read this is all above board with Disney and they are aware and don't care since it sells rooms for them. I've never used them but quoted many times and it seems very legit to me, you can pay using Disney Gift Cards since you are paying Disney directly (just through them). Many good reports here on the disboards and online elsewhere.
I have a question. Are those "convention" tickets upgradable? I am being told yes by the agency, but seeing conflicting info online. We want to upgrade to APs onsite and being able to upgrade is critical.

I have a question. Are those "convention" tickets upgradable? I am being told yes by the agency, but seeing conflicting info online. We want to upgrade to APs onsite and being able to upgrade is critical.
I do not know that answer for sure. The price quote I got was for Jan 28 - Feb 4. The discount on the tickets portion was exactly 10% off of Disney prices (I was able to back into it). It appears that they are regular tickets and would be upgrade-able but I cannot say for sure.

Last year we purchased "convention" rate tickets at Disneyland as part of a convention I was attending. They were actually partial day (after 2pm) tickets. The day before we were going to use them we decided to skip the last meeting and spend the whole day at DL. I went to Guest Services the evening before and upgraded the tickets to whole day tickets. I paid regular price for the tickets, but received credit for the actual dollar amount I had spent on the convention tickets. My strong guess is that you will be able to do the same thing. They will give you the actual dollar amount you paid for the tickets as credit toward APs. After all is said and done you won't actually get a discount on the APs however, because they will be regular price and you only get credit for the actual dollar amount spent on the convention tickets, you won't be able to carryover a "10% discount" to the purchase of APs. In actuality it probably doesn't do you any good to buy the convention rate tickets, unless they are required as part of a package.

Thinking about changing to Wilderness from POFQ... Hubby and daughter have never stayed at either but I know French quarter never gets discounts. We will have annual passes this year and will be doing the dining plan with it.... Just can't seem to make up my mind... I keep flip flopping and pricing it, but seeing the price difference and thinking that's almost another trip for us a few months later (I tend to over think...)

I am thinking about buying an Annual Pass this year. I wouldn't buy one for everyone in my party as that wouldn't make sense, but I am trying to figure out if the discounts would make the investments worth it. Has anyone had experience with AP discounts on rooms, especially in May?

I am thinking about buying an Annual Pass this year. I wouldn't buy one for everyone in my party as that wouldn't make sense, but I am trying to figure out if the discounts would make the investments worth it. Has anyone had experience with AP discounts on rooms, especially in May?
If you didn't buy the AP how many days of tickets would you be buying and would you buy the park hopper?

I've examined this in the past for us and found that the AP only made sense if I could use it for multiple trips. The discounts for one trip just couldn't do it for me. The AP room only discount is typically slightly better than the public discount but it comes out later and there's less room availability. Plus the Disney discounts can often stack with orbitz/cheap tickets and even undercover tourist now offers an additional 5% off Disney rooms (which I believe stacks in top of disneys discounts).

If you didn't buy the AP how many days of tickets would you be buying and would you buy the park hopper?

I've examined this in the past for us and found that the AP only made sense if I could use it for multiple trips. The discounts for one trip just couldn't do it for me. The AP room only discount is typically slightly better than the public discount but it comes out later and there's less room availability. Plus the Disney discounts can often stack with orbitz/cheap tickets and even undercover tourist now offers an additional 5% off Disney rooms (which I believe stacks in top of disneys discounts).

We are going for 8 days and do park hopper and water parks. We also do the memory maker. Additionally, nightly table service is a big deal for us. There is definitely a possibility that we will go back again in the fall of 2017, but not guaranteed. I'll admit, I really would like to try it.

We are going for 8 days and do park hopper and water parks. We also do the memory maker. Additionally, nightly table service is a big deal for us. There is definitely a possibility that we will go back again in the fall of 2017, but not guaranteed. I'll admit, I really would like to try it.
That's a tough call - you'll need to buy the Platinum Plus pass for $883 vs. the 8 day PH&WP ticket @ $506 (or $479 thru Undercover tourist). I think the AP makes sense to buy for everybody if you go more than once in the year. But if not - I'd think you'll have a hard time finding that the AP saves you over $400 which is what it would take to justify it.

I guess the Memory Maker helps offset that...but I still would have a tough time justifying it. Whatever you decide though...have an awesome trip!

Hi, I'm planning a trip May 1-7, with DH, and kids aged 12 and 10 (plus Universal for a couple days after). We are coming in from Toronto Canada (first trip) and hoping to stay at Polynesian.
There is a discount right now for park tickets only for Canadians at 25% off (have until Feb 28, 2017 to book this) and I'm really hoping I can get a RO discount.

Wondering if I should just book the resort and see what comes as far as discounts later on? IF you book a room only, can you apply the discount to the room already booked, or do you have to book again with the discount, then cancel the original booking?

So excited for this trip!!

EDIT: I just got an email that said "a little Pixie Dust for you" and had up to 30% off room rates, with a unique code. Poly is on a 15% discount though...may have to rethink my resort as GF is 20% off and AKL is 30%!! I will have to call and book this! WOOHOO!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm planning a trip May 1-7, with DH, and kids aged 12 and 10 (plus Universal for a couple days after). We are coming in from Toronto Canada (first trip) and hoping to stay at Polynesian.
There is a discount right now for park tickets only for Canadians at 25% off (have until Feb 28, 2017 to book this) and I'm really hoping I can get a RO discount.

Wondering if I should just book the resort and see what comes as far as discounts later on? IF you book a room only, can you apply the discount to the room already booked, or do you have to book again with the discount, then cancel the original booking?

So excited for this trip!!

EDIT: I just got an email that said "a little Pixie Dust for you" and had up to 30% off room rates, with a unique code. Poly is on a 15% discount though...may have to rethink my resort as GF is 20% off and AKL is 30%!! I will have to call and book this! WOOHOO!
What were the dates for the email?

I got the pin email good thru June 7. I called. We're looking for BC May 12-21. It was only 15% there. I could get the full 30% on a YC CL but I'm not looking to spend all that. The guy was saying the percentage varies by resort as well as weekends vs. week days. I haven't done a dedicated WDW trip in years. Discounts seem to work a little differently. I'll hold out for other offers for our dates and keep studying my options.

We are going the end of April first part of May as well. Hoping for at least 25% off room rate.

I'd love one of those emails! Wonder if the WL is 30% off?
Quoting myself to report that, unbelievably, I got one of those "some pixie dust for you" cards in my snail mail! With my sister's name on it and my address. This is how we generally get offers. I'm the one who makes the ressies. I haven't found a way to look up the offer online yet to see how much of a discount is for the WL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter