Lets talk about our teenagers!

My ds is taking his AP calculus exam today. I'm nervous for him. His teacher offered a practice exam this past Saturday, which he took. He said it was the hardest, most draining thing he has ever done. I know he was nervous about the exam. He's a smart kid so I'm pretty confident that he will do well. It's hard to watch your child go through such a stressful situation.

Good luck to your son.

At my house it's a good thing my daughter is better at math than I ever was. It's also a good thing her bf is really, really good at math because if I had to help her we would be in deep trouble.

Penny

I can't help my ds with math at all. If he ever needs extra help he has to ask his teacher or I have co-workers that are willing to help.

We've got APUS anxiety at my house this week. The exam is Friday morning. DS (and some classmates) took a practice exam with the teacher last Saturday. Plus, he's done 2 practice exams from a guidebook.

He also says it's hard. But, the practice is helping. He's scores have been 58, 68, and 71. I think he said the first would earn him a "3," while the 71 would be a "4." Hope so.

ETA: Good luck to everyone, of course.

My daughter took her SAT's Sat. She said it was horrible. She missed some of the PSAT's due to having her wisdom teeth removed. She does not test well with standardized tests. I didn't help that she broke up with her boyfriend and she spent much of the night before crying.

ahhh the trials and tests that end of the school year brings!!:hug:

Good luck to all the kids taking tests!!

Cassidy tried out for section leader and was given "assistant" SL status:headache: . She plays better than the kid who got the title...but Cassidy will be the de facto section leader again. BLECH!!

I do not like the kid who is her BF right now....as I posted somewhere else earlier...either I will begin to like him or Cassidy will break up with him:rotfl:

I can't believe she will be 16 next Wednesday...with the crud she's been pulling lately she's lucky she made it!!

Well, this is REALLY the wrong thread to lament that my DS15 will need to go to summer school :sad1:

He's killing me, this kid, he really is. I just cried this morning remembering that I used to read him Shakespeare when he was 3. I never hoped to raise a "boy genius" or anything, but geez Louise, if he could just PASS some of these classes I would be so thrilled. My standards have lowered significantly, and that's sad. He's very smart (but don't we all say that) - with way above-average language skills (per the tests). But he failed English.

Did I mention he's killing me?

Does anyone have tips on how to get a 15 yo boy to wear the rubber bands on his braces?

I reached my limit this morning. He didn't sleep with them in last night so I confiscated his phone. Now he has to show me his braces "on demand." If the rubber bands are in, that's good. If not, that's bad. He needs 10 "goods" to get the phone back. One "bad" and he's starting over from zero.

This may take forever. :headache: But I refuse to receive another lecture from the orthodontist.

Advice?

We told DS that he had a choice, wear the rubber bands or pay for the braces. He was pretty good about the rubber bands but the retainer since he got his braces off--he never wears it. I am DONE taking care of his teeth. I figure by the time the all rot and fall out, he will have his own dental insurance.

Well, this is REALLY the wrong thread to lament that my DS15 will need to go to summer school :sad1:

He's killing me, this kid, he really is. I just cried this morning remembering that I used to read him Shakespeare when he was 3. I never hoped to raise a "boy genius" or anything, but geez Louise, if he could just PASS some of these classes I would be so thrilled. My standards have lowered significantly, and that's sad. He's very smart (but don't we all say that) - with way above-average language skills (per the tests). But he failed English.

I am sorry....we went through that last year with Cassidy...kid is smart (not just a mom boast here) but boy if she isn't the teacher's pet she doesn't try. She failed 1st semester math...I made her stick it out with the same teacher second semester...got a C. Not great but why the heck couldn't she do that the first semester??

Go ahead and lament....bet more have us been there than you think. Plus it's easier to lament here than find bail money when you've had it up to there!! (just teasing!!)

Hope your son gets the wake up call he needs to get his act together!!:hug:

I am right there with you. My daughter received the paper that states she may fail English and have to take summer school as well. She doesn't think it will come to that though. She does well with 1/2 her classes and the other 1/2 pathetic.

I'm with ya with the kids that drive us nuts. My dd makes me want to pull my hair out at times. She is capable of so much more than she does. She may have to go to summer school because she gets distracted by everything else going on in the classroom and doesn't get her work done.

She has a very small bedroom, not much I can do about that, I can't afford a bigger house. Anyway, this past weekend I spent a couple hours in there with her trying to organize things. She worked with me, it was great. Then come Monday she had created a nice mess again. I just don't understand why she does the things she does. Some days I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. I have noticed over the past few months that she is starting to mature. I hope that keeps up.

:hug:
Don't feel bad. My 13YO DS is failing English, too. He will also be going to summer school this year. Simply for not doing homework and refusing to do classwork. He aces all of the tests. Mine's killing me, too. Makes me want to spit I get so angry.

This is the same kid who is on the Knowledge Bowl and in the "spotlight" program.

:sad1:

Hey thanks for the nice words everyone. In these situations, you feel like in real life, everyone is judging you (probably rightly so. You know how it's all the parent's fault.)

Anyway, I do love having a teenager in that it is nice to be able to speak and interact with them on a more adult level. But my theory is that the difficulties of these teen years are God's way of making the "leaving the nest" a lot easier! I wouldn't ever say that I'll be glad to see him go, that's horrible, right? But there are certain things (to put it mildly) that will be much much simplier in my life. I mean....aaaahhhh, won't it be nice not to have to worry about somebody else's schoolwork someday?

Anyway, I do love having a teenager in that it is nice to be able to speak and interact with them on a more adult level. But my theory is that the difficulties of these teen years are God's way of making the "leaving the nest" a lot easier! I wouldn't ever say that I'll be glad to see him go, that's horrible, right? But there are certain things (to put it mildly) that will be much much simplier in my life. I mean....aaaahhhh, won't it be nice not to have to worry about somebody else's schoolwork someday?

So true! My dd AND I will be happier when she gets to make all her own decisions. However, my neighbors just put off their WDW trip because of issues their very much put together 24 yo daughter was having, so I guess it never really ends

I am sorry....we went through that last year with Cassidy...kid is smart (not just a mom boast here) but boy if she isn't the teacher's pet she doesn't try. QUOTE]

Yeah, what's up with that? Only do well in a class where you like the teacher or he/she likes you! Gee the teacher you don't like is really losing sleep over the fact that your grades stink.

Yeah, what's up with that? Only do well in a class where you like the teacher or he/she likes you! Gee the teacher you don't like is really losing sleep over the fact that your grades stink.

that's what I said when she tried putting the blame solely on the teacher:rotfl:

I truly think the teacher was a bit to blame in the equation but, the kid needs to take some responsibility!! I'm (nor is the teacher) not the one who has to write the college applications stating why I failed a class.

Yesterday was the last day of school for my kids. I know have a high school senior and an 8th grader. Next school year will be very busy for my family. My ds (the senior) is taking an SAT/college prep class starting next week and he's taking AP computer science online. My dd would like to take an online class but they are not offered to middle school students unless they have failed a class. I'm very proud of my kids. It's hard for me to believe that they are as old as they are. I'm trying to cherish every moment with them. Before I know it they will be out on their own.

Yesterday was the last day of school for my kids. I know have a high school senior and an 8th grader. Next school year will be very busy for my family. My ds (the senior) is taking an SAT/college prep class starting next week and he's taking AP computer science online. My dd would like to take an online class but they are not offered to middle school students unless they have failed a class. I'm very proud of my kids. It's hard for me to believe that they are as old as they are. I'm trying to cherish every moment with them. Before I know it they will be out on their own.

Next year I will have a HS senior and an 8th grader too. In my case, it's my DD that will be the senior and my son the 8th grader. However, mine do not do nearly as well in school as yours. :lmao:

Next year I will have a HS senior and an 8th grader too. In my case, it's my DD that will be the senior and my son the 8th grader. However, mine do not do nearly as well in school as yours. :lmao:

My son does well, my daughter struggles. She does really well for a short period of time then she conviently forgets to turn in homework, doesn't finish class work, you know the story. There are times when I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall with her. The sad part is that she has the potential to be a great student. She does well on all of her standardized tests. When she does her school work she gets A's & B's. We just can't get her to stay on track for more than a couple weeks at a time.

Okay, I haven't read the posts, but will try to jump in and join from here. I have to be qualified - I have 3 teens - all boys, now 16, 14, and 13.

Oldest DS got his license in March and his car last Friday. Well, he didn't get a new car, WE did, but he got the hand me down, so now he has one to drive regularly. He's been dating the same girl for nearly 16 months now, so you can imagine the dimensions that that has added to our lives (not to mention the grey hairs!).

DS14 starts Drivers' Ed this summer. So far he's a happy, carefree kid with a lot of friends, some of whom are girls, but no girlfriends. Still okay with doing things with mom and dad and just a good kid in general.

DS13 is the oblivious kid. He lives in his own little world. So far not any problems as far as rebellion or anything, but he wouldn't. He'd just NOT do something, rather than do anything bad. For example, I can tell him that while I'm gone I need him to do 3 things, come home 2 hours later and nothing will be done and if I ask him I just get a blank "what?" Basically without a lot of guidance, he can't focus on anything trivial like homework, practicing, chores, etc.

I look forward to reading more of your posts and eventually catching up. Any advice on the girlfriend is welcomed. We like her a lot, but they're going too far, too fast. He got her a new swimsuit for her birthday next week, and she came over yesterday to try it out (in our hot tub - with me and his brothers present). However, I didn't find out until one of his brothers snitched afterwards that the changing session was co-ed in his room! :eek: Not even sure where to go from here. Thanks for any help and I can't wait to meet you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter