• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

January 2014 discount watch!!

Hey, PamPam!
I was one of those callers at 7am yesterday morning and got through immediately. Yay! I told the CM that I knew the sale had started and she said there was a "Visa" holder discount (didn't have to be the Disney Visa - but I do have one). I am actually paying rack rate on Saturday night (Jan. 4) but it changes to $169 on Sunday. The standard room rate was amazing too - including tax it was under $80! We are so happy to stay onsite!

I am never satisfied! Yesterday I was perfectly fine with my RO. Here I am tonight making sure SPD isn't a better deal. :lmao: I've worked the numbers several ways and still coming out ahead with RO. I hope I'm not missing something. One issue I have is that I am going solo for three days, then my younger daughter is joining me for the second half of our trip. That wouldn't be allowed with SPD, right? Someone tell me no real quick so I can be happy again with what I have!! :laughing:

I am never satisfied! Yesterday I was perfectly fine with my RO. Here I am tonight making sure SPD isn't a better deal. :lmao: I've worked the numbers several ways and still coming out ahead with RO. I hope I'm not missing something. One issue I have is that I am going solo for three days, then my younger daughter is joining me for the second half of our trip. That wouldn't be allowed with SPD, right? Someone tell me no real quick so I can be happy again with what I have!! :laughing:

Well, you probably could book it using SPD, but it may not be cost effective. Let's say you have a 7 night stay planned. Your daughter is joining you on the third night. You could book your SPD package for 7 nights with 4 day tickets. Then when you arrive, you could simply upgrade YOUR ticket (but not your daughter's) in one of the parks to a 7 day ticket and pay the difference. Meal credits are based on nights in the resort, so you would have LOTS of meal credits for your stay.
At least I think that would work, but like I said - it may end up costing more . . .

We're originally booked Jan 12-18 POR room and 5 day base for $2623.71

When spd came out we added dining the total is $3508.81

We are a fam of 5 2 adults and 3 kids but all kids are over 10 so were actually 5 adults. I thought the total would be less.
Anyone know why?
Or any thoughts on getting a better rate

We're originally booked Jan 12-18 POR room and 5 day base for $2623.71

When spd came out we added dining the total is $3508.81

We are a fam of 5 2 adults and 3 kids but all kids are over 10 so were actually 5 adults. I thought the total would be less.
Anyone know why?
Or any thoughts on getting a better rate

That does confuse me. Was the original booking room only? Because at ~$18.88 pp for the "kids price dining", it should only be like $100 more for spd.... I'd call and double check on that.

I went to the website and put in your dates and info, and got $3505 with spd....

I don't think the SPD promo actually works out to adults at kids prices. When I calculated the room at rack rate and tiks at kids pricing, the dining portion ended up averaging about $14.50 per person per day so I was thinking they must take a percentage off of everything. With my calculations we saved 22% off of the non-discounted package price. We are at CSR for 14 nights in January.

Also I guess since kids over 9 are considered adults I believe you pay extra per night for the room. I was going to make my 9 year old 10 so that she could eat off the adult menu since I thought I was paying the kids pricing anyway and when I priced the package that way it was $300 more. I was having to pay an extra $15 per night because she was considered as a third adult in the room. I left her as 9 because I figure if she needs a little extra to eat it certainly isn't going to add up to $300.

I'm not sure if this question has been answered already but i was wondering if you could stay at POR and downgrade to the Quick service dining plan in order to save more money? I know in the past if staying at a Value you can upgrade to DDP from QS ..:confused3 wasnt sure if they would let you down grade? Thanks for any info :worship:

We're originally booked Jan 12-18 POR room and 5 day base for $2623.71 When spd came out we added dining the total is $3508.81 We are a fam of 5 2 adults and 3 kids but all kids are over 10 so were actually 5 adults. I thought the total would be less. Anyone know why? Or any thoughts on getting a better rate

That doesn't sound right. I would call back.

I don't think the SPD promo actually works out to adults at kids prices. When I calculated the room at rack rate and tiks at kids pricing, the dining portion ended up averaging about $14.50 per person per day so I was thinking they must take a percentage off of everything. With my calculations we saved 22% off of the non-discounted package price. We are at CSR for 14 nights in January. Also I guess since kids over 9 are considered adults I believe you pay extra per night for the room. I was going to make my 9 year old 10 so that she could eat off the adult menu since I thought I was paying the kids pricing anyway and when I priced the package that way it was $300 more. I was having to pay an extra $15 per night because she was considered as a third adult in the room. I left her as 9 because I figure if she needs a little extra to eat it certainly isn't going to add up to $300.

No one is quite sure how Disney figures the discounts.

Even if you upgraded your DD you wouldn't pay extra for her in the room. As long as she's under 18 it's not an extra charge on the room portion.

I'm not sure if this question has been answered already but i was wondering if you could stay at POR and downgrade to the Quick service dining plan in order to save more money? I know in the past if staying at a Value you can upgrade to DDP from QS ..:confused3 wasnt sure if they would let you down grade? Thanks for any info :worship:

They don't allow down grading. Have you looked in to a room only discount then add the QSDP? You may come out cheaper. T

I thought you couldn't add dining plan to a RO discount. That it would then be considered a package and lose the RO. I thought if you got RO, you had to pay OOP for tickets and food. :confused3

No, they will not do this. I called and specifically asked....even with a FD'ing pin code, where in theory, it would actually save them money by doing so :confused3.

Anyway, I was quoted $100 less to get 2 connecting rooms at a value vs. 1 room at POR. Not a bad deal! You get 2 bathrooms and 4 beds. Of course, this would only work if you don't mind the value theme.

Are you sure you can not add dining to a room only offer? I was playing around on their web site and it was letting me add dining and tickets to the room only offer.

I thought you couldn't add dining plan to a RO discount. That it would then be considered a package and lose the RO. I thought if you got RO, you had to pay OOP for tickets and food. :confused3

You can have a package and use a room only discount. It only discounts the room portion.

I originally had AoA LM room booked for Marathon Weekend (Jan 8-12) with two day base tickets (one adult - kidless girls' weekend! :cool1:) for $735.

I REALLY wanted to keep AoA, but I priced out POP with S/P/D with the 2 day tickets and QSDP and it came to $736. :lmao: I can't pass up "free" food!

So we arrive on Jan 2, and have RO until the 5th when the special begins and then we have S/P/D. So I know we can pick up our tickets 3 days early from everyone here, even though Disney insists we can't.

So since our first 3 days don't tecnically have tickets attached to it, can we still plan FP+ ahead of time for those 3 days? Or will they not offer us FP+ until our tickets officially start?

Thanks.

wdwfan22 said:
So we arrive on Jan 2, and have RO until the 5th when the special begins and then we have S/P/D. So I know we can pick up our tickets 3 days early from everyone here, even though Disney insists we can't.

So since our first 3 days don't tecnically have tickets attached to it, can we still plan FP+ ahead of time for those 3 days? Or will they not offer us FP+ until our tickets officially start?

Thanks.

How did you get room only starting January 2nd?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter