• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

Yeah they just closed CBS building which is acrossed from my husband's job bc 2 tested positive. Personally I think NY should have been doing a lot more sooner, and stronger measures. Seems they are just now starting. Even then its pretty lax bc they bring in the National Guard to New Rochelle, where this all started and the highest cases in Westchester County, set up a 1 mile radius containment zone they call it, but you are able to come and go.

Can someone tell me what areas of Florida are affected? I did hear Tampa but where else? Thanks

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/COVID-19/
As of today, 27 FL residents, 5 FL repatriated, 3 NonFL residents. 2 deaths. 476 monitored under public health. 301 negative tests, 147 tests pending.

Manatee, Hillsborough, Santa Rosa, Broward, Lee, Charlotte, Okaloosa, Volusia, Nassau, Colloer, Pinellas, Pasco, Miami-Dade, and Seminole. Also, one of the non FL residents is in St. Johns County (which is the county my DH works in).

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/2...ke-week-attendee-from-new-york-tests-positive
We are cancelling our trip to California next week; DD#1 is, as well. DD#2 is going to be upset, but I'd rather she be upset over us not coming instead of being upset because I brought the virus home to her father and she loses him, or loses her nephew or sister (both of whom have lung issues).

We have a trip to the Outer Banks planned for the 23rd. As of right now, we are still planning on going. I don't think going there is going to put us in any more danger than being at home (I'm a waiter so I'm around more people daily than I will be on my trip). If I were going to Disney I may think more about canceling though, especially is flying.

...and keeping the resorts open until further notice. Hmmm....like there aren't tons of people at those resorts/pools/Disney Springs? Jeesh!
Everyone at the resort crams into the pool!! But I expect some will finish out the last couple of days of vacation hanging at the resort and Disney Springs and most will cancel/reschedule

Wonder if they'll offer refund for after hours events, etc. I had tickets to Villains on the 27th.
It really does my heart good to know that they are taking care of the CMs during this.

Wonder if they'll offer refund for after hours events, etc. I had tickets to Villains on the 27th.
It really does my heart good to know that they are taking care of the CMs during this.
We had tickets for After a hours on 3/17, we had already decided to cancel our trip and were hoping for a credit toward our trip in July. apAt first the CM said we could get a credit, but while on hold they announced the closure. They then just credited our Amex back instead—he said since it was officially closed they can issue cash refunds

I don’t expect a WDW closure for at least a couple weeks. For one thing, there are fewer cases in Florida and specifically Orlando. DL didn’t close until Anaheim banned large gatherings. I would expect something similar here. Plus, if possible, I think Disney would prefer to stagger the closures from a financial standpoint.

So I am preparing for an April closure. I have a trip booked in May, and earlier today (prior to the DL announcement) I booked a backup reservation for June as a “just in case”. I hope I get to go in May for F&G and better weather, but I am prepared either way.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/03/13/disney-world-theme-parks-close-starting-sunday/
It’s really time people start accepting that this is bigger than anticipated, and things are only going to get worse. The tests, that we were told are all out there and available, are severely lacking in availability. Although the only thing tests will show is confirm how much bigger this is than we know it now.
Patients in some senior homes, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, and the like are being sequestered to their room now.

Edit: Here’s a statistic. 66 cases in my nearby county, Santa Clara County. 33% daily growth in reported cases. So far, half of them are hospitalized. About 1/2 of those hospitalized requiring ICU. Only 1 recovered so far, but luckily, only 1 death as of now.

Last edited:
Good lord can the KC metro get any good news today-- A man in his 70s lived in a long-term care facility in the county above me (but still in my metro) and had underlying health conditions that he was receiving treatment for at a local hospital for cardiac issues. Sadly he passed away. He was tested AFTER he passed away and was found to be positive for COVID-19.

This is the first death in my state of KS (KC metro is both in KS and MO) but it also is a case no one even knew about until now.

Our cases in my state were only in my county: 1 traveled from New England and 3 just announced today where all 3 individuals traveled to FL to a conference. They are calling the death (the man in his 70s) the first community spread in the state (5th total case) because he didn't travel anywhere. They are now tracking down to see where he could have possibly gotten it. It may be easier since he was in a long-term care facility but it could be hard to track down any visitors and whatnot (assuming visitors had been allowed).

Now KS, the whole state, is under a state of emergency.

We just got back from the grocery store and everyone is out which given all the cancellations that were announced today in KC it's not wonder. People are def. buying with the intent of staying inside for a bit and this was before the death was known. I did not see any cases I would call hoarding though my mom did see one person at the grocery store she was at, shelves were pretty picked clean on a varity of things--even frozen pizza about 3/4 of the stock was gone lol but we were able to get the vast majority of the items we needed.

I saw an interesting story out of Boston yesterday. The headquarters of the biomedical company Biogen is in Cambridge, MA -- either on the campus of MIT, or immediately across the street. They had what was described as a "large employee meeting" and apparently brought a lot of folks in from all over for the meeting.

Massachusetts has 90 COVID-19 cases. 70 of them are linked directly to the Biogen meeting, according to news reports!

We are in Las Vegas at Conexpo/ConAgg- they just canceled the last day (friday), although oddly enough we've noticed it's gotten a LOT more crowded in last 24 hours - I think it has to do w/ basketball fans though.

My mom lives near Tampa. I’m due a visit but wont go for awhile. Mom would not survive this if I was a carrier and passed it in.

Well, here we are ready to board for a week at an AI in Puerto Vallarta, which we booked to replace our scuttled visit to London and British Isles cruise. The airport is a ghost town. Since there has been no expansion of the advisories to full-on travel bans, we feel fine to go. Over half the passengers for this flight have yet to check in. All I can think of is maybe they’ll upgrade our seats! :scratchin

Supposed to go to New Orleans on 3/17-3/21 to visit my sister. We do NOT have any big plans, other than to sit in her house, drinking coffee and planning our next meal. My biggest concern is getting home if they decide to cancel domestic travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter