Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

We met with a rep from Air Transat (the tour operator of our package) this afternoon. They have not received ANY notice from the government that their access back to Canada is to be altered. They remain responsible for getting us home and are doing logistics to ensure their schedules can change to accommodate if needed. We are prepared to pivot if necessary. We are also registered with the Canadian Consulate as being here in Puerto Vallarta and have not received any notifications.
You will have to self quarantine for 14 after you return, hope you can get home and hassle free as possible.

So this is an interesting thing---remember when everyone was all about the masks? all about wearing the masks like when they fly?

Of course we've been notified, like I think at least some of us already had thought about, that masks are best worn by those who are actually ill..in any case a person wearing a mask on a plane landing at my home airport triggered this response:

"The Kansas City Health Department says they received a medical request from KCI on Sunday afternoon.

The department said the request came from an inbound flight that was headed to the airport. They said passengers on a flight into KC were concerned about a female passenger who was wearing a mask.

Out of an abundance of caution, the crew on the flight then called in a medical request to KCI who then contacted the Health Department and EMS as part of their protocol.

"We are assessing the situation in cooperation with the airport, airline, and EMS," the health department had said. "The airport and EMS are following procedures and protocols recently agreed upon."

The passenger was assessed by EMS and it was determined that she did not express the symptoms of COVID-19. It was also determined that there is no need to follow up with other passengers or crew at this time, according to the health department.

No other information is available at this time."

This I can see can become a big issue. I 100% understand the passengers concerned (and I probably would too but I don't know here at this moment if I would be alerting the FAs by the mere presence of it) but now instead of people thinking they'll wear a mask to protect themselves, to do it out of caution, it could scare other people into thinking you have symptoms and their fear ramps up. Lesson I suppose if don't wear a mask if you're not showing any symptoms..maybe the same type of situation as the death glares allergy sufferers may be experiencing now as they cough.

Now this happened on a plane, where time to fly may be limited, but it can easily be seen as applying to the general public.

So this is an interesting thing---remember when everyone was all about the masks? all about wearing the masks like when they fly?

Of course we've been notified, like I think at least some of us already had thought about, that masks are best worn by those who are actually ill..in any case a person wearing a mask on a plane landing at my home airport triggered this response:

"The Kansas City Health Department says they received a medical request from KCI on Sunday afternoon.

The department said the request came from an inbound flight that was headed to the airport. They said passengers on a flight into KC were concerned about a female passenger who was wearing a mask.

Out of an abundance of caution, the crew on the flight then called in a medical request to KCI who then contacted the Health Department and EMS as part of their protocol.

"We are assessing the situation in cooperation with the airport, airline, and EMS," the health department had said. "The airport and EMS are following procedures and protocols recently agreed upon."

The passenger was assessed by EMS and it was determined that she did not express the symptoms of COVID-19. It was also determined that there is no need to follow up with other passengers or crew at this time, according to the health department.

This I can see can become a big issue. I 100% understand the passengers concerned (and I probably would too but I don't know here at this moment if I would be alerting the FAs by the mere presence of it) but now instead of people thinking they'll wear a mask to protect themselves, to do it out of caution, it could scare other people into thinking you have symptoms and their fear ramps up. Lesson I suppose if don't wear a mask if you're not showing any symptoms..maybe the same type of situation as the death glares allergy sufferers may be experiencing now as they cough.

Now this happened on a plane, where time to fly may be limited, but it can easily be seen as applying to the general public.
Funny you should mention allergies. I don’t have them but where we live is dry, bone-shrivellingly dry in the winter. Adjusting to the high humidity here on the Mexican Riviera is playing heck with my sinuses. I’m making good and sure I’m done sneezing and blowIng my one before I leave the room in the morning and hope I’ll acclimatize in a day or so.

And now this:

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment also provided new guidance to state residents on Sunday evening, and is recommending a 14-day quarantine for the following:

• Traveled to a state with known widespread community transmission (currently California, New York and Washington state) on or after March 15.
  • Visited Eagle, Summit, Pitkin and Gunnison counties in Colorado within the past week.
  • Traveled on a cruise ship on or after March 15.
    • People who have previously been told by Public Health to quarantine because of their cruise ship travel should finish out their quarantine.
  • Traveled internationally on or after March 15.
    • People who have previously been told by Public Health to quarantine because of their international travel should finish out their quarantine.
  • Visited Eagle, Summit, Pitkin, and Gunnison counties in Colorado within the past week.
  • Received notification from public health officials (state or local) that you are a close contact of a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19. You should quarantine at home for 14 days since your last contact with the case. (A close contact is defined as someone who has been closer than 6 feet for more than 10 minutes while the patient is symptomatic.)
TBH some of these are things that if people could self-isolate would be best to do so at least for as long as they could prior to the governor telling them to do so.

Funny you should mention allergies. I don’t have them but where we live is dry, bone-shrivellingly dry in the winter. Adjusting to the high humidity here on the Mexican Riviera is playing heck with my sinuses. I’m making good and sure I’m done sneezing and blowIng my one before I leave the room in the morning and hope I’ll acclimatize in a day or so.
:hug: I feel ya. You get so used to your home area and get such a surprise.

I went on a ski trip at the end of February and my area had zero pollen as it was cold and wintery. Well by the time I came back home 4 days later the pollen count ramped up to medium and medium-high level with the temps in the 50s and 60s. I'm suspectible to temperature changes personally so days where it's 50s and 60s but then back to 30s and 40s then back up it all causes havoc on my system. Good thing I got my 3-pack of medicine from Costco earlier this week and on sale :laughing:

I hope you do acclimate soon!

I don’t know if this will help because there are countless Canadians that will continue coming back from all over the world.

I think it is reasonable that at some point international flights are going to just stop flying as it isn't economically viable for them to continue OR because they are banned. Which would leave just the land border. And that could get further restricted, too.

I think it is reasonable that at some point international flights are going to just stop flying as it isn't economically viable for them to continue OR because they are banned. Which would leave just the land border. And that could get further restricted, too.
We came to Puerto Vallarta last week on a Canadian charter airline company that sells package holidays. Due to bans and/or lack of demand, by Monday morning they had cancelled all their routes to Europe, the UK and the Caribbean. Having had to await definite instructions about border closures, as of Sunday they did t know when they would be able to get us home. We now know Canadian citizens are not restricted from re-entry and they will be flying us home on Saturday, as well as selling surplus seats to any passport-holding Canadians.

I want to say things that aren't appropriate at how stupid that is

Well, here we are ready to board for a week at an AI in Puerto Vallarta, which we booked to replace our scuttled visit to London and British Isles cruise. The airport is a ghost town. Since there has been no expansion of the advisories to full-on travel bans, we feel fine to go. Over half the passengers for this flight have yet to check in. All I can think of is maybe they’ll upgrade our seats! :scratchin
A trip to Mexico when this is all over is what's keeping me going. I hope you have a wonderful time away!

We came to Puerto Vallarta last week on a Canadian charter airline company that sells package holidays. Due to bans and/or lack of demand, by Monday morning they had cancelled all their routes to Europe, the UK and the Caribbean. Having had to await definite instructions about border closures, as of Sunday they did t know when they would be able to get us home. We now know Canadian citizens are not restricted from re-entry and they will be flying us home on Saturday, as well as selling surplus seats to any passport-holding Canadians.

My dh traveled from Des Moines to Omaha yesterday to take someone to the airport and commented about how many Canadian license plates they saw on the interstate. We suspected it was people traveling home to beat any border closures.

My dh traveled from Des Moines to Omaha yesterday to take someone to the airport and commented about how many Canadian license plates they saw on the interstate. We suspected it was people traveling home to beat any border closures.
Why? Canadian citizens are being let in, even with the border closure being announced.

Why? Canadian citizens are being let in, even with the border closure being announced.

Then maybe they just want to get home to get home? I have no idea, really, we just found it interesting. We don't usually notice so many around here. :confused3

Then maybe they just want to get home to get home? I have no idea, really, we just found it interesting. We don't usually notice so many around here. :confused3
I would suspect this is the reason. With more things shutting down by the moment in Canada and the States, I can’t imagine it’s very fun to be there. I’d want to be home instead as well.

It’s quite surreal how few extraordinary measures are being taken where we are in Puerto Vallarta. At this time there are apparently no reported cases in the State of Jalisco. We are at an extremely family-oriented resort and since there have been next to no arrivals from Canada or the US since last week, it’s filled with Mexican families having a ball. The biggest thing on anybody’s mind is fear of economic devastation when tourism stops.

Just rebooked my June trip to Aug. Due to school being out I am not sure what will happen with how long they will be out. It worked out better for us though as it was less DVC points and we get to stay longer!!!

Just rebooked my June trip to Aug. Due to school being out I am not sure what will happen with how long they will be out. It worked out better for us though as it was less DVC points and we get to stay longer!!!
Something to look forward to when things have settled down! :cutie:

DH and I officially cancelled our Florida trip scheduled for March 28-April 4. There was an option to re-book now, but we're holding off. The flight to Florida is on Southwest and those funds can be used until mid-January 2021. The flight back home is on American and we can use it until mid-December 2020.

No change fee on American, but just like with Southwest, the fare is subject to change and we'd be responsible for any higher fare when and if we re-book. The flights were reasonably priced so even if we never go we're not worried about eating the loss.

Just cancelled a non-disney trip to SW florida. We are currently booked for November at the parks (dvc) - but , tbh, I give us a 50-50 shot of that going off, depending on folks who won't obey Govt/Local warnings for the greater good.

It stinks to cancel vacations - but if it allows us to take vacations for the rest of our lives, the short term trade off is - well, duh- very much worth it.

I'm tired of the political slants on both ends of this crisis, I just wish folks would do what they are asked, stay home for now - and be safe and protect our elders and neighbors.

Absolutely affected! Cancelled a trip to Japan next month. It has been a long time in the planning and of course, a huge disappointment. Tokyo Disneyland was on the itinerary (Alice in Wonderland room--poof) but there will be a much better time.

Keeping our trip to Scandinavia on the books since it isn't until end of June. Just holding out and waiting. Crossing our fingers it'll be a safer time to travel, but who knows at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter