Is Coronavirus affecting your travel plans?

I'm tired of the political slants on both ends of this crisis, I just wish folks would do what they are asked, stay home for now - and be safe and protect our elders and neighbors.

Somebody better tell the elders. I went to the grocery store yesterday and it was full of old people. Yes, people need to social distance to slow the spread to elders, but the elders themselves need to shut themselves in.

Somebody better tell the elders. I went to the grocery store yesterday and it was full of old people. Yes, people need to social distance to slow the spread to elders, but the elders themselves need to shut themselves in.
Many stores are now open with hours only for Seniors Stop and Shop for one.

yes - unfortunately my folks are both in their 80's and not taking this to heart, so I hear you on having them stay home as well. We have been "fighting" with them throughout the week

We forwarded them the info on S&S 6-7:30am here in MA going forward yesterday AM.

Needless to say I later found out they were in a store they shouldn't have been in during the afternoon. :(

I'm a waiter in Pennsylvania. We were still open yesterday, and while we were not busy at all, I would say at least 80% of the people that came in were older. I, of course, don't know ages for sure, but I'm talking 70 and over. We (employees) honestly just couldn't believe it. There were even three people with oxygen (different tables). The amount of people with wheelchairs and walkers out in the restaurant yesterday was mind-blowing to all of us working there. We all agreed after seeing it, that it's best to close down because all the urging and talk isn't working. The people most at risk are still out and about not caring.

Many older seniors are stubborn and set in their ways. And maybe they feel they don't have too much time left anyway so they might as well enjoy themselves.

Then maybe they just want to get home to get home? I have no idea, really, we just found it interesting. We don't usually notice so many around here. :confused3

The Canadian Government has been calling for Canadians to come home. Even offering financial help if needed. They are starting to warm Canadians that they may have difficulty bringing them home if needed in the future. Nobody wants Canadians stuck on a cruise ship or in a foreign country and have to struggle to find some way to get them home if there are no easy, commercial means.

Also, some insurance companies are warning Canadians that by March 22/23, they will not longer be covered when out of country. Even if they are not worried abiut coronavirus, what about if they break a leg?

I was super tempted to spend this week in Florida even with Disney closed. But so very glad we stayed home even though we were incredibly disappointed.

We have a vacation scheduled for Europe, including Italy, this summer. At first I thought that things would calm down by then but every day I doubt more that this trip will happen. We haven't made any changes yet due to nonrefundables like airlines. AirBNBs we still have some time to cancel. Standard travel insurance won't cover it, we didn't get the cancel for any reason policy. So hopefully the airline will let us reschedule at a minimum. I worry a bit about the future cost of flights as airlines attempt to recover losses, or worse, airlines go under.

Last edited:
Many older seniors are stubborn and set in their ways. And maybe they feel they don't have too much time left anyway so they might as well enjoy themselves.
I have seen this in my own family. I think some people, particularly in their 80s and up, have lived through more devastating illness than most of us can imagine. They can be pretty stubborn and definitely don't like to be told what to do. Maybe they think it is one more illness that we will get through, maybe they think they aren't locking themselves up for their final days if this is going to "get them" anyway. Who knows but it is frustrating when the panic created from this virus, and the potentially devastating economic impact on younger generations, is largely created by the impact coronavirus is having on the very old and the resultant strain on the health care system. The least they could do is stay home!

Then maybe they just want to get home to get home? I have no idea, really, we just found it interesting. We don't usually notice so many around here. :confused3

You are correct. They would want to get home. Why? Travel medical insurance. Companies have begun to cut off policies. I have had the fun of the dance of travel medical claims/insurance while caring for my father who was dying (even getting him home was so much fun! And there was no virus threat). One hospital stay can bring claims from all over the country - calls, letters, bills. And your insurance company - well hopefully you got a good one because the crappy ones often dance with the claims with endless negotiation with the providers, while the customer gets the stress. So yep time for vacationing Canadians to come home from the US, well unless they're extremely rich.

And feel free to use that paragraph if anyone has the joy of stubborn loved ones. I hesitated to write it, but it seems like some are dealing with possible stressful situations.

Last edited:
We have a vacation scheduled for Europe, including Italy, this summer. At first I thought that things would calm down by then but every day, I doubt more that this trip will happen. We haven't made any changes yet due to nonrefundables like airlines. AirBNBs we still have some time to cancel. Standard travel insurance won't cover it, we didn't get the cancel for any reason policy. So hopefully the airline will let us reschedule at a minimum. I worry a bit about the future cost of flights as airlines attempt to recover losses, or worse, airlines go under.
Jetblue just extended their waiver for cancellation/change fee all the way up to September 8th. Check with your airline to see. Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter