I'm shocked that there is no vegetarian resturants

It just seems odd to me that a place that works to be so inclusive is so stingy in this area, and then when it gets brought up, the fact that it doesn’t appeal to everyone is a reason not to consider it. I know no one goes to Disney for cuisine, but there’s still a pretty large variety, so there should at least be more options in more places, if the main issue is that it shouldn’t be exclusively veg.
I totally agree, but not for those that choose to be vegetarians, but for those of us that have to be gluten free.

How nice it would be to have more than a prepackaged brownie or prepackaged cookies for dessert. It sucks having to eat table service all of the time, just because I want a good gluten free meal.

It is not true that every restaurant has at least one vegetarian choice on the menu (which I know is not exactly what you said). I suspect just about every restaurant would try to accommodate a vegetarian diner. But I'm not the type of person who would go to a Flying Fish, for example, without knowing what if anything they might offer me.

I was under the impression that at TS, at least, every restaurant did offer at least one vegetarian option. I know vegans have a tougher time of it and generally have to have something made up special, but I thought Disney was pretty good about vegetarian choices. This thread has been enlightening on that count because I really thought Disney was more veg-friendly that it seems from this conversation.

It just seems odd to me that a place that works to be so inclusive is so stingy in this area, and then when it gets brought up, the fact that it doesn’t appeal to everyone is a reason not to consider it. I know no one goes to Disney for cuisine, but there’s still a pretty large variety, so there should at least be more options in more places, if the main issue is that it shouldn’t be exclusively veg.

The problem is that on a family vacation, it just takes one person being unwilling or unable to eat in a given restaurant to cross it off the whole party's list. So if there's a vegetarian in the family who is excited to see a vegetarian restaurant but also a meat-eater who feels s/he does enough vegetarian eating at home, when the whole family eats the same dishes, that family probably isn't going to try the vegetarian place. And that's something I hear a lot from friends who have a vegetarian in the household - that because many/most home-cooked meals are vegetarian friendly simply because it is more reasonable than cooking two different meals every night, the omnivores look forward to meat-heavy choices when dining out.

I'm keto/paleo - which is basically gluten-free plus more restrictions. Should I be up in arms that Disney does not have restaurants or many meals that cater to me without modification?

I'd emphatically say no.

My lifestyle is my choice, not an allergy (as a PP) pointed out. Being vegetarian and vegan is a choice - one that many feel strongly about - but it doesn't warrant the same consideration as food allergies. Disney is quite inclusive. If you tell them that you are vegetarian/vegan at TS, they will try hard to accommodate you. QS isn't as easy, but even then allowances are made if possible.

I'm keto/paleo - which is basically gluten-free plus more restrictions. Should I be up in arms that Disney does not have restaurants or many meals that cater to me without modification?

I'd emphatically say no.

My lifestyle is my choice, not an allergy (as a PP) pointed out. Being vegetarian and vegan is a choice - one that many feel strongly about - but it doesn't warrant the same consideration as food allergies. Disney is quite inclusive. If you tell them that you are vegetarian/vegan at TS, they will try hard to accommodate you. QS isn't as easy, but even then allowances are made if possible.

I don't know that you should be up in arms about it, at least not if you're used to dealing with it. If you strictly limit your diet by choice, that's a little different than simply wanting a dish that is satisfying but does not have meat. Again, I am not vegetarian, but I know that just because I DO like certain foods doesn't mean that I WANT to eat that particularly thing when it's available, so it just surprises me that "default vegetarian option" flies when the variety is pretty intensive elsewhere. I guess vegetarians and vegans are used to having to ask for foods to be prepared a certain way. I never do that, so it's very possible I'm overestimating how off-putting it might be.

Anyway, I'm not even sure how I ended up on this hill!

I don't know that you should be up in arms about it, at least not if you're used to dealing with it. If you strictly limit your diet by choice, that's a little different than simply wanting a dish that is satisfying but does not have meat. Again, I am not vegetarian, but I know that just because I DO like certain foods doesn't mean that I WANT to eat that particularly thing when it's available, so it just surprises me that "default vegetarian option" flies when the variety is pretty intensive elsewhere. I guess vegetarians and vegans are used to having to ask for foods to be prepared a certain way. I never do that, so it's very possible I'm overestimating how off-putting it might be.

Anyway, I'm not even sure how I ended up on this hill!

How is choosing not to eat meat not a choice? You are choosing to limit your food options by eliminating meat. Vegans eliminate even more than that by choice as well. Humans, by nature, are omnivores and by and large that is the way a majority of the population eats. I would like a satisfying dish without grains or sugar. I have to modify a meal at Disney to get what I want, usually. They would have to do the same. I'm not sure I see a difference between the lifestyle I choose and the one someone else who is vegetarian or vegan chooses.

It is a choice, but it's not a STRICT choice. You can get a salad and you can add chicken to it, or you can choose not to. You can get a pasta dish or pizza that has no meat in it by design. You can get a burrito that has beans and no other protein. It's not that difficult to create a menu that simply has no meat. When you start limiting other things, like milk, eggs, sugar, butter, wheat products, that more strictly dictates how the dish is prepared and makes it more difficult for those who need to eat that way to find something that works for them. With so many people limiting how they eat, the whole reason I even jumped into this conversation is because I was surprised it wasn't easier to find things that worked. I'm surprised that you can't find a satisfying dish that works for you. The idea that you made your bed, so lie in it, just bummed me out. I'll just go back to my corner now.

As for vegetarians and vegans having to ask for foods to be prepared in a certain way... many cooked foods are suspect. For example, veggies are sometimes prepared with chicken stock and speaking of chicken stock, that's also a base for many soups. An authentic caesar salad dressing contains anchovies. Any type of food with added gelatin is also rendered non-vegetarian and vegan.

It is a choice, but it's not a STRICT choice. You can get a salad and you can add chicken to it, or you can choose not to. You can get a pasta dish or pizza that has no meat in it by design. You can get a burrito that has beans and no other protein. It's not that difficult to create a menu that simply has no meat. When you start limiting other things, like milk, eggs, sugar, butter, wheat products, that more strictly dictates how the dish is prepared and makes it more difficult for those who need to eat that way to find something that works for them. With so many people limiting how they eat, the whole reason I even jumped into this conversation is because I was surprised it wasn't easier to find things that worked. I'm surprised that you can't find a satisfying dish that works for you. The idea that you made your bed, so lie in it, just bummed me out. I'll just go back to my corner now.

I totally agree that leaving things off is easy to do. The point is that Disney does just those things. It's not hard to find IMO and I'm not sure why that should inspire any sort of shock that a meal doesn't automatically come that way, but can be made that way.

I'm not picking on you, I swear! But I'm sure I'd get laughed off of the boards if I expressed the same shock over not being about to find a completely paleo restaurant.

OMG I would go crazy over a vegetarian/vegan restuarant in DCA.. I bet it could really do well! I agree it should be a quick service, they could easily adapt the existing mediterranean or mexican QS to be veggie :cutie: Although as other people have mentioned, Disney does pretty well for veggie options, I eat so good at DLR as it is! (I'm vegan, shoutout vegetarian Gumbo and rancho del zocalo!!!)

On another note, It makes me incredibly sad to see all of the negative attitudes and comments towards vegetarian and vegan food. (And also a strange amount of defensiveness from a few meat-eaters...) The world would be a better place if everyone just ate a little less meat.. just my opinion of course dont at me :flower3:

Salad with no meat, egg or cheese? Sorry, that isn't going to fill me up, nor is it going to stay with me very long. Hey, maybe that is the way to sell it to Disney? The meals fill you up, but only stay with you for 30 minutes. Then they will be hungry again. At least that is how it would work for me.

With salads I usually get tired of chewing it before I'm at all full, even with meat/egg/cheese (the exception was this amazing Cobb salad I had in CA that I only ordered because I wanted to save room for dessert).

I am very glad that Disney offers so many allergy options and lifestyle-choice options. Most places don't offer any type of accommodations.

I'm gluten free by necessity, not choice, but i've never thought that Disney needs to have an exclusive gf restaurant. Actually, come to think of it Erin McKenna's is gf and vegan so there is one vegan establishment on property. I don't like Erin McKenna's baked goods though, probably because of the lack of butter and eggs!

OMG I would go crazy over a vegetarian/vegan restuarant in DCA.. I bet it could really do well! I agree it should be a quick service, they could easily adapt the existing mediterranean or mexican QS to be veggie :cutie: Although as other people have mentioned, Disney does pretty well for veggie options, I eat so good at DLR as it is! (I'm vegan, shoutout vegetarian Gumbo and rancho del zocalo!!!)

On another note, It makes me incredibly sad to see all of the negative attitudes and comments towards vegetarian and vegan food. (And also a strange amount of defensiveness from a few meat-eaters...) The world would be a better place if everyone just ate a little less meat.. just my opinion of course dont at me :flower3:
I’ve probably been too negative. Most of it is my Disney food cynicism brought on by years of quality cutbacks and price increases. I don’t think Disney’s bean counters would have the stomach for running a restaurant with enough quality, fresh ingredients to do good GF vegan (for prices lower than V&A)

If a new, vegan-only option opened (and didn’t close another location) it wouldn’t really bother me. I’d prefer Disney expand more interesting/healthy options like Satuli instead of vegan-only.

I’ve probably been too negative. Most of it is my Disney food cynicism brought on by years of quality cutbacks and price increases. I don’t think Disney’s bean counters would have the stomach for running a restaurant with enough quality, fresh ingredients to do good GF vegan (for prices lower than V&A)

If a new, vegan-only option opened (and didn’t close another location) it wouldn’t really bother me. I’d prefer Disney expand more interesting/healthy options like Satuli instead of vegan-only.
Oh I'm so excited to try Satuli on my 2018 trip! Disney really does do well for allergen/veggie options as it is, at least at DLR where I have the most experience. Not that I'd say no to a veggie restaurant, but I agree that this is not something that's happening anytime soon! I just think a lot of people have a misconception of what vegan food really is, if they haven't really been exposed to it or live somewhere where it is less common.

And IMO, this is not a topic that should even be mentioned because there are a lot of strong and varied opinions. Live and let live. Don't preach to me and I won't preach to you. Etc.

I would also vote for more healthy options vs a vegan only restaurant. I live in the SF Bay Area. I definitely know what vegan food is and that just like any dish, there are some dishes I like and some I don't. Mostly not the "frankenfoods" as I call them. I tried chick'n a few times - yech. And I have yet to try a good vegan doughnut (or a good paleo one for that matter). I prefer seafood over all else (which you won't find in a vegan restaurant) - and that's just my preference.

And IMO, this is not a topic that should even be mentioned because there are a lot of strong and varied opinions. Live and let live. Don't preach to me and I won't preach to you. Etc.

I would also vote for more healthy options vs a vegan only restaurant. I live in the SF Bay Area. I definitely know what vegan food is and that just like any dish, there are some dishes I like and some I don't. Mostly not the "frankenfoods" as I call them. I tried chick'n a few times - yech. And I have yet to try a good vegan doughnut (or a good paleo one for that matter). I prefer seafood over all else (which you won't find in a vegan restaurant) - and that's just my preference.
Oh yeah the best vegan food doesn't use any of the substitutes, I never eat fake meat or even tofu really! And of course you are entitled to your preference, that's not my point at all!! People were insinuating that OP was being selfish for inquiring about a veg restaurant, and just for those who aren't aware there are at least 4 vegan restaurants within 5 miles of DLR.. so it is incredibly common and certainly not some rare, niche, fad-diet request. As long as it doesn't take away from existing "omnivore" restaurants then I don't see what the problem would be. That said, I still don't think they will do it anytime soon as Disney caters to the lowest common denominator.

there are at least 4 vegan restaurants within 5 miles of DLR.. so it is incredibly common and certainly not some rare, niche, fad-diet request.
I agree with vegan not being a fad. Many of the vegans I know have deep beliefs about how and why they chose this lifestyle. I disagree with it not being niche. Heck even in California, a haven for alternate lifestyles, they are still a minority. A SIZEABLE minority, which is why those four vegan restaurants exist, but still a minority. And they don't have the same numbers in most other states, including Florida.

That said, I still don't think they will do it anytime soon as Disney caters to the lowest common denominator.

The mouse follows the money!

Oh yeah the best vegan food doesn't use any of the substitutes, I never eat fake meat or even tofu really! And of course you are entitled to your preference, that's not my point at all!! People were insinuating that OP was being selfish for inquiring about a veg restaurant, and just for those who aren't aware there are at least 4 vegan restaurants within 5 miles of DLR.. so it is incredibly common and certainly not some rare, niche, fad-diet request. As long as it doesn't take away from existing "omnivore" restaurants then I don't see what the problem would be. That said, I still don't think they will do it anytime soon as Disney caters to the lowest common denominator.
Wow.

So those that prefer meat are "the lowest common denominator?"

Disney follows the money. They will build restaurants that make them money. So far, they have decided that a vegan restaurant doesn't follow that plan.

And although maybe not a fad, it is certainly pretty niche. And as some of us have been saying, it is certainly a choice.

I'm a little confused by the idea that if the whole family isn't vegetarian, no family would be interested in eating at a vegetarian restaurant. Vegetarian dishes can differ immensely, with something for everyone. There are plenty of people who happily eat meat nearly every day who would still eat a meal that has no meat! Think of all the pasta dishes (including mac and cheese), pizza options, sandwiches and salads that could be meatless! I understand that the demand is still likely not there for Disney to create a full vegetarian restaurant but acting like a family would rather go hungry than compromise with their vegetarians siblings/parents/friends for a night and allow the vegetarians a night away from the default veggie option is bizarre.

I'm confused by the idea of wanting to offer a vegetarian restaurant presumably to showcase lots of yummy vegetarian dishes and then having mac and cheese, pizza, sandwiches and salads... which are the things that vegetarians seem to bristle at having to choose from at non vegetarian places. I don't understand the need to be ideologically "pure" and offer a menu that is vegetarian but then offer junk food for people who would rather have meat. What i'd rather see is something that is based on a particular type of cuisine but maybe with a few options that are vegetarian and a few that are meat... but where the vegetarian options are thoughtful and thought through and not "pasta and veggies." Like Sanaa could add another couple of veggie options on their menu, it would be appropriate there. It wouldn't have to be an all vegetarian restaurant but there are opportunities for more vegetarian options.

A vegetarian restaurant for the sake of calling it vegetarian and being ideologically pure but that doesn't have amazing vegetarian dishes is not going to win anyone over IMO.

I don't see any reason for there to be an exclusively vegetarian restaurant at WDW. Apparently WDW doesn't either.

Lots of restaurants at WDW are able to provide options for vegetarians. And good ones.

last I checked the DIS Unplugged weren't vegetarians. maybe suggest that they get a vegetarian reviewer. also a lot of assumptions, like California restaurants should be more interested in health (why does that mean they would want an exclusively vegetarian restaurant?), or non-vegetarians are the lowest common denominator (rather than simply the majority).

also not clear on whether the OP wants a vegetarian or vegan restaurant (two entirely different things.) I can see the appeal for vegetarian or vegan diners to not have to ask about everything they order, but I also see why it's not economically feasible for Disney to start such a restaurant. And trying to shame people into eating less meat isn't going to work to the extent that an ideologically pure veggie restaurant is going to fly at a theme park area. The number of folks on the boards who won't eat what's offered at Satuli (which is by no means a veggie joint) seems to confirm that.

Food & Wine Festival had an exclusively vegan booth for a couple of years (they don't have it anymore, removed it in favor of spacing a few vegan choices out over several booths).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter