I'm shocked that there is no vegetarian resturants

I guess I don’t see how it’s different than any other restaurant. If doesn’t appeal to you, don’t eat there. Chances are, you would find something on the menu to enjoy, just as vegetarians are expected to in basically every other restaurant.

Really, though, the issue is if it would work at capacity and what the margin would be.

There is no way that vegetarian isn't on Disney's radar, given Disneyland, given Disney Springs, given having vegetarian options at many eateries, given how many GF options they have. That there isn't such a restaurant (even operated by a third party at Epcot or DS) suggests that the cost-benefit or opportunity cost just doesn't work.

Flying Fish and Coral Reef need to have steak on the menu to survive. Just getting away from beef is next to impossible.

And I'm glad they do, because without those steaks we probably wouldn't ever eat there. My DH is allergic to fish and very, very cautious about seafood because of "hidden" fish (faux crab or lobster, fish stock in sauces or soups, etc.). I think that's what Disney is going for with the steaks there and with the fact that every restaurant has at least one vegetarian choice - inclusiveness. A vegetarian restaurant goes in the other direction, excluding/alienating those who wouldn't consider a vegetarian entree as an acceptable option for whatever reason.

Could the veggie options on the menus be improved in both variety and quality? Of course. But I don't think a vegetarian restaurant is likely to succeed.

Maybe Disney should have a vegan, Gluten Free, no allergy ingredients restaurant? (sarcasm font)

Although at home I cook in such a way that I could accommodate those requests - although in a limited manner.

the fact that every restaurant has at least one vegetarian choice

It is not true that every restaurant has at least one vegetarian choice on the menu (which I know is not exactly what you said). I suspect just about every restaurant would try to accommodate a vegetarian diner. But I'm not the type of person who would go to a Flying Fish, for example, without knowing what if anything they might offer me.

I've eaten at every type of restaurant there is, and consider it a blessing to try new cuisines...there's always something new to taste in the world. But you don't even have to stretch to accommodate this type of request...I mean how many Italian places are at Disney? How hard would it be to change one of them to vegetarian? Easy...for apps, serve a Minestrone Soup (Vegan), a Tossed Salad with Balsamic Vinagrette (vegan), a Caprese Salad, an Eggplant Caponata with Veg Dippers (vegan)...for entrees serve a Spring Vegetable Risotto, a Top-You-Own-Pasta option with either regular or zucchini noodles, sauces of Alfredo, Pomodoro (vegan), Pesto (vegan or vegetarian), or Arribiata (vegan) with add-in options of sauteed veg (vegan), fresh mozza, fresh parm, and/or chickpea and/or lentil meatballs (vegan), a Pizza or flatbread option, Gnocchi with Butter/Sage/Shaved Parm, a Cheese Lasagna, a Vegan Lasagna (vegan), and maybe a ravioli dish...and for dessert, serve Macedonia (vegan), Granita (vegan), Cannolis, and Gelato...

Kids would get app options of fruit salad (macedonia fruits just fresh) (vegan), mozza sticks, or tossed salad (vegan)...main options of the adult make-your-own pasta (vegan option), a plain cheese pizza, and the lasagnas (vegan option)...and desserts of the granita (vegan) and gelato...

Bring vegan bread to the table with olive oil sprinkled with salt and pepper for dipping and call it a day...

There's not a person in the world who wouldn't find something they liked here...the problem is that it would cost less, and Dining Plan maxers would never find "value" here...

I mean how many folks eat at Olive Garden for the unlimited pasta bowl (which now comes meatless in almost all versions) and spend their whole meal eating the meatless salad (or the meatless soup option), breadsticks, and pasta...and never complain a second b/c they like paying $9.99 + tax...

I've eaten at every type of restaurant there is, and consider it a blessing to try new cuisines...there's always something new to taste in the world. But you don't even have to stretch to accommodate this type of request...I mean how many Italian places are at Disney? How hard would it be to change one of them to vegetarian? Easy...for apps, serve a Minestrone Soup (Vegan), a Tossed Salad with Balsamic Vinagrette (vegan), a Caprese Salad, an Eggplant Caponata with Veg Dippers (vegan)...for entrees serve a Spring Vegetable Risotto, a Top-You-Own-Pasta option with either regular or zucchini noodles, sauces of Alfredo, Pomodoro (vegan), Pesto (vegan or vegetarian), or Arribiata (vegan) with add-in options of sauteed veg (vegan), fresh mozza, fresh parm, and/or chickpea and/or lentil meatballs (vegan), a Pizza or flatbread option, Gnocchi with Butter/Sage/Shaved Parm, a Cheese Lasagna, a Vegan Lasagna (vegan), and maybe a ravioli dish...and for dessert, serve Macedonia (vegan), Granita (vegan), Cannolis, and Gelato...

Kids would get app options of fruit salad (macedonia fruits just fresh) (vegan), mozza sticks, or tossed salad (vegan)...main options of the adult make-your-own pasta (vegan option), a plain cheese pizza, and the lasagnas (vegan option)...and desserts of the granita (vegan) and gelato...

Bring vegan bread to the table with olive oil sprinkled with salt and pepper for dipping and call it a day...

There's not a person in the world who wouldn't find something they liked here...the problem is that it would cost less, and Dining Plan maxers would never find "value" here...

I mean how many folks eat at Olive Garden for the unlimited pasta bowl (which now comes meatless in almost all versions) and spend their whole meal eating the meatless salad (or the meatless soup option), breadsticks, and pasta...and never complain a second b/c they like paying $9.99 + tax...
Vegan bread... :crazy2:

I’m also imagining Disney trying to serve people chickpea or lentil meatballs. :lmao:

You seem to have put an inordinate amount of thought into this. It’s just never going to happen.

Vegan bread... :crazy2:

I’m also imagining Disney trying to serve people chickpea or lentil meatballs. :lmao:

You seem to have put an inordinate amount of thought into this. It’s just never going to happen.

Nah, that took 5 minutes...if you know food, you can make a million menus in minutes (yes, I'm exaggerating:))...Disney could do the same if they were ever interested:)...that was just my "plain eaters" menu...I'd want more upscale than that, but as everyone says, the masses have to like it...

:confused3

Baguette, ciabatta, sourdough, Italian bread, just to name a few. All vegan.
Our vegan friends don’t eat any white flour or white sugar. Something to do with the bleaching being done via animal bones. Not sure, but all the bread they eat is terrible.

Nah, that took 5 minutes...if you know food, you can make a million menus in minutes (yes, I'm exaggerating:))...Disney could do the same if they were ever interested:)...that was just my "plain eaters" menu...I'd want more upscale than that, but as everyone says, the masses have to like it...
Not sure you really have to “know food” to list off a bunch of meatless dishes but I can assure you that plenty of people would not eat a single thing on that list.

Our vegan friends don’t eat any white flour or white sugar. Something to do with the bleaching being done via animal bones. Not sure, but all the bread they eat is terrible.

Vegan white sugar exists. It does not taste any different from the sugar whitened with bone char.

I know some "health food vegans" who don't eat white flour, but that's more for the health reasons. White flour is vegan-friendly, as far as this vegan knows.

Vegan white sugar exists. It does not taste any different from the sugar whitened with bone char.

I know some "health food vegans" who don't eat white flour, but that's more for the health reasons. White flour is vegan-friendly, as far as this vegan knows.
You could be right re: health food vegans. We generally agree to disagree on food and don’t discuss it often, but I suspect your statement is correct if white flour is normally a vegan food. Bread can go back on the menu. :thumbsup2

You could be right re: health food vegans. We generally agree to disagree on food and don’t discuss it often, but I suspect your statement is correct if white flour is normally a vegan food. Bread can go back on the menu. :thumbsup2

Woohoo! And I agree that it would be difficult to sell the masses on lentil meatballs.

Yes there is, he's 14 years old and lives in my house. Ok, he MIGHT eat the plain cheese pizza. If it wasn't a flatbread, if it didn't have chunks of tomato on it like a margarita pizza does.

But I can assure you that if there was a restaurant that was advertised as vegetarian or vegan, my husband wouldn't even consider looking at the menu, even if there was 10 things on it that he would love to eat.

Yes there is, he's 14 years old and lives in my house. Ok, he MIGHT eat the plain cheese pizza. If it wasn't a flatbread, if it didn't have chunks of tomato on it like a margarita pizza does.

But I can assure you that if there was a restaurant that was advertised as vegetarian or vegan, my husband wouldn't even consider looking at the menu, even if there was 10 things on it that he would love to eat.
Me, too.

I already have to have gluten free. No choice in that.

I am not going to give up meat and animal products as well.

Sorry, eggplant? Big yuck. Lentil meatballs? Really? Sorry, not up to Disney standards. And their standards are pretty low.

The bold is the difference between you and those who wouldn't touch the menu you describe. You are willing to try new things. So the menu sounds great to you.
Surely you do realize there are many who aren't? There are many who wouldn't begin to order a single item you list because they are strange sounding. The list of those who wouldn't is way larger than the list who would. So yeah, there are a lot of people who wouldn't even try to find something they liked in there. Right or wrong, end result is the same, they wouldn't go in.

Kids aren't the problem either, they would do fine. It's the adults you have to deal with pleasing and you aren't going to change their habits now

Maybe Disney should have a vegan, Gluten Free, no allergy ingredients restaurant? (sarcasm font)

Although at home I cook in such a way that I could accommodate those requests - although in a limited manner.
I actually lived 3 days with 1 vegetarian 2 lactose intollerant one gluten free and one person with nut allergies and every meal was yummy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter