I'm shocked that there is no vegetarian resturants

yeah it may not get as packed unfortunately maybe if it was in the right location it could work (I was thinking QS Epcot its all about learning about new cultures. Could even mix it with a country theme? India has a lot of vegetarians and I know a town in Belgium as vegetarian day every week.) ( I like thinking of fun Ideas )
Morocco does offer several meals now that are meatless. Probably has the most of any that I can think of and they are still pretty limited
Good point. I thought maybe it hadn't came to their attention but they are a large company. I come from Melbourne So healthy eating and vegetarianism is part of the culture here so it still seems crazy to me. However remembering back to staying in america with family that served me salad every night maybe its not such a big thing over the pond.
It is pretty popular here. Outside of Disney. And easy to find. Outside of Disney. That's the thing, you can go outside of Disney and find plenty of vegetarian choices. Even here in the deep South, haven of deep fried meat with everything everything we have one. And it's very successful.

Disney isn't going to do it because they need their offerings to serve everyone in a group and there simply aren't many families that are 100% vegetarian that come to visit. 1 family member sure but not all of them. Not enough at least.

Disney isn't going to do it because they need their offerings to serve everyone in a group and there simply aren't many families that are 100% vegetarian that come to visit. 1 family member sure but not all of them. Not enough at least.

"But what will my picky child/husband/grandma eat?"

Heck, you see that at Sauli'i Canteen, and they have a dang hot dog on the menu. A naked hot dog.

Heck, you see that at Sauli'i Canteen, and they have a dang hot dog on the menu. A naked hot dog.

I’ve only seen that question when the person hadn’t noticed the hot dog. Fwiw.

Disney’s Mac and cheese is lacto-vegetarian and is pretty tasty. Makes many kids happy. Sanaa’s flat bread cheese pizza is very good. My son is a connoisseur of cheese pizzas and that’s among the best in his learned opinion. :) The Wave will make their cheese grits special without the bacon if you ask. And the cheese they use in the dish is safe for vegetarians.

We’re one of those families where all of us are veggie. :)

Sorry, but I have never looked at a vegetarian meal and been jealous. And I've never been surprised at how "good" they are.

There are too many people that would never even walk into a vegetarian restaurant for Disney to try one.

Edit to add: I am one of those people.

honestly I know why a lot of people think that!! meat eaters eat alot of nice vege food and don't know it beacuse it's paired with meat e.g sweet potato fries or gnocchi
One of the things I hate is fake meat even if hand made in a restaurant its awful and the freezer stuff (ew). it's usually what non meat eaters try or what they try to make i'd rather a mushroom burger with avocado and beetroot ohoh or one time in a restaurant I had a caramelized beetroot and pearl cous cous strudel...YUM

( These may sound disgusting to you but that's okay different people like different things)

oh wow ....that's bad usually if theres nothing vege I go for starters e.g chips or a dip platter surely they would find something in any restaurant without having to ask.

honestly I know why a lot of people think that!! meat eaters eat alot of nice vege food and don't know it beacuse it's paired with meat e.g sweet potato fries or gnocchi
One of the things I hate is fake meat even if hand made in a restaurant its awful and the freezer stuff (ew). it's usually what non meat eaters try or what they try to make i'd rather a mushroom burger with avocado and beetroot ohoh or one time in a restaurant I had a caramelized beetroot and pearl cous cous strudel...YUM

( These may sound disgusting to you but that's okay different people like different things)
Right, but the fact that an entire menu would be like that, is the reason that Disney doesn't have a vegetarian restaurant.

As another poster said, very rarely are entire families vegetarian.

I get what folks are saying about whole families not being vegetarian...but that doesn't mean they all don't eat veg or vegan foods...

The problem with making this type of restaurant is not that families couldn't all eat there...it would be deciding on the unifying concept/theme that makes that type of thing possible...there are as many choices as there are cuisines, and that's hard to narrow:)...

I get what folks are saying about whole families not being vegetarian...but that doesn't mean they all don't eat veg or vegan foods...

The problem with making this type of restaurant is not that families couldn't all eat there...it would be deciding on the unifying concept/theme that makes that type of thing possible...there are as many choices as there are cuisines, and that's hard to narrow:)...

That's true, I'm sure if they wanted to make one though Disney could make a poll to decide on a theme. also on the whole family's not being vege I'm fairly sure I've seen quick service locations in what seems like a food court or an outdoor one so that would work too

Right, but the fact that an entire menu would be like that, is the reason that Disney doesn't have a vegetarian restaurant.

As another poster said, very rarely are entire families vegetarian.

very true maybe a restaurant is too much quick service may work even more so within a food court area

Well, unless a family bands other types of foods, of course they eat some "vegetarian." Tonight I had some potatoes and some veggies. All with leftover turkey. Take out the turkey and my meal was vegetarian.

But, Disney packs people into their restaurants. The question, would they pack a vegetarian restaurant? Probably not. Why? Because although some families have a vegetarian in the family, the entire family isn't vegetarian.

I come from Melbourne So healthy eating and vegetarianism is part of the culture here so it still seems crazy to me. However remembering back to staying in america with family that served me salad every night maybe its not such a big thing over the pond.
That's true. Vegetarianism is not big here at all, especially in the South. Where it does have a niche, is in some alternative living (less materialistic) subcultures, but people into alternative living are often the least likely to ever make a trip to Disney World, which is a mecca of American consumerism.

Bottom line: a vegetarian restaurant would be a money-loser at Disney World. The large majority of visitors eat meat, and want meat available at every meal.

Maybe they should kick this off as a Friday "pop-up" concept in Lent...what I wouldn't give for an awesome meatless option place in Lent when I can't have meat:)...so, combined with vegans/vegetarians, you'd add a 3rd group of Spring Breakers who need options...and you can see what you get for this day and if you're so overwhelmed, if you might be able to make it work all days...and if nothing else, you'd be serving a large group who are normally meat eaters, and you can find out if your concept satisfies (or if you get lots of complaints)...

I mean, every fast food place on the planet spends March hyping their "fish" or "meatless" option, so you know the market is big, at least on Fridays that month...

I don’t care for vegetarian restaurants but we occasionally go with friends. The food is okay. Some restaurants are better than others.

But I can promise you that there is NO way the average Disney World visitor is going to touch anything that comes out of those kitchens. None. The menu at Skipper Canteen recently changed and the loss of the macaroni, cheese & beef concoction was keenly felt. For whatever reason, many people cannot deal when there are no chicken tenders or hamburgers on the menu and many folks think anything above mayonnaise is “spicy.” Some vegetarian foods I’ve tried have had great flavor - but, again, to a lot of people, flavor = “spicy” and this cannot be tolerated.

Maybe in DCA. But in WDW, no way.

I dunno it just seems odd to me it would be popular and remove a bunch of stress for people.

1) Disney deals in VOLUME and PROFIT.
2) Your "stress" is only pushed/suffered upon a small portion of the population,
3) If you could positively show a Vegetarian eatery would be packed, then WDW would have one or some.
. . . not personal opinion
. . . just pure facts
4) The vast majority of the world is not Vegan or Vegetarian.
5) Can you guarantee full capacity for a Vegetarian eatery?
6) QED.

Maybe they should kick this off as a Friday "pop-up" concept in Lent...what I wouldn't give for an awesome meatless option place in Lent when I can't have meat:)...so, combined with vegans/vegetarians, you'd add a 3rd group of Spring Breakers who need options...and you can see what you get for this day and if you're so overwhelmed, if you might be able to make it work all days...and if nothing else, you'd be serving a large group who are normally meat eaters, and you can find out if your concept satisfies (or if you get lots of complaints)...

I mean, every fast food place on the planet spends March hyping their "fish" or "meatless" option, so you know the market is big, at least on Fridays that month...

And as everyone has pointed out, there are already vegetarian (or fish) options at pretty much every place.

Plus not everyone buys into the "I must not eat meat on Friday" thing.

I think the only place you would see this happen would possibly be a kiosk at one of the EP festivals (F&W or F&G would probably be the best fits) and/or a food truck at DS. Otherwise, as others have pointed out, there just aren't enough people to fill the restaurant. WDW has vegetarian options at every restaurant and the percentage of space those options take up on the menu is, most likely, equal to the percentage of people at WDW who are vegetarians. I was a vegetarian for 20 years and live just outside NYC (in a heavily populated area). Even in this area, if you want to find a vegetarian restaurant, you have to go into NYC where they have the population density to support it.

The problem is where would you put it? Traveling around WDW just for meals is time consuming. To be useful for guests you would need a vegetarian restaurant in each park and hotel. And that would probably not be profitable. The offering of vegetarian meal(s) at eateries is about the only way to do it.

27 year vegetarian Floridian who goes often-WDW has long been a place that offers numerous vegetarian options. I worry when we go out in other cities (actually not so much as 10+ years ago) but WDW has long been a place where I know I will have a lot of vegetarian options. Like someone else said, Spice Road is excellent! For quick service I can usually find a vegetable burger. I would not expect them to have just one restaurant devoted to vegetarians. California Grill was voted the top Orlando choice for vegetarians a few years back.

The problem is where would you put it? Traveling around WDW just for meals is time consuming. To be useful for guests you would need a vegetarian restaurant in each park and hotel. And that would probably not be profitable. The offering of vegetarian meal(s) at eateries is about the only way to do it.

I always thought it was odd that the Land pavilion didn't have a kiosk dedicated to vegetarians and vegans as one of its kiosks, since living with the land seems like the place people would want a lot of produce-type foods...and since you can hit multiple kiosks before paying, meat eaters could hit their own stand...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter