I'm shocked that there is no vegetarian resturants

I can do without the judgement too. Live and let live, as I said.

I'm low carb/keto and have pretty set beliefs around it, but no one is going to hear about it unless they express an interest. I also fully believe there is no one way for everyone and all varied things like personal biology, preferences and beliefs should be taken into account. For instance, I have a modified LDL gene sequence that predisposes me to high cholesterol. The only natural way for me to lower my cholesterol is through eating low carb and moderate fat (I basically eat like a diabetic and believe me, I tried many diets). But that's just me. I couldn't eat vegetarian or vegan 100% because I'm already limited in the food groups I can eat to control my cholesterol and still feel satisfied. Having one label for everyone will never work.

Of course, I also think carbs are delicious and am more likely to be wistful instead of disdainful when I see others eating them! And man oh man, Disney is chock full of yummy carbs. Mmmmmmm.

All that said, I would be highly in favor of having better standard vegetarian or vegan options, as well as other healthy in general options, as I said before. Disney has lots of yummy carbs, and I'd like to expand that yumminess to other areas!

Last edited:
That is indeed true but at least where I come from meat eaters are happy to try out vegetarian resturants and are often suprized by how good they are ...There's one restaurant in my town that I went to for Christmas dinner with family they were all very jealous of my vege meal. then again if we are talking majority Maybe California Disney would be a better option for a vegan restaurant in Disney

via google "More than 140 restaurants operate within Disney World" personally I don't think one would hurt the majority who may be willing to try it. its kind of a poor argument

I think there would be a big difference in a vegetarian restaurant and vegan restaurant so not sure which you are looking for ....

I would guess with 140 restaurants that Disney has done plenty of studies and determined what is best for their business, their guests likes and on top of that allow folks to bring in food who have even stricter diets. I've seen many eating their own meals that appear to be more specialized food. One restaurant means all those who want it have to travel to it and folks at Disney are pressed for time. If they can find a meal at restaurant close to their day, they will choose that. I just don't see a need for one on property when every other restaurant offers menu items.

I would love to see a more creative vegetarian dish or two added to the menu's of current restaurants. I really don't think a stand alone vegetarian restaurant would be profitable enough for them. Have any of you looked around at what people are eating in the parks? I see people gnawing on giant bird legs all the time. 'Mericans like their meats. What I personally would love to see is a shift to offering more healthy options that don't contain a weeks worth of sodium in one dish, and updated nutritional info on all dishes so people can make informed choices.

.......Have any of you looked around at what people are eating in the parks? I see people gnawing on giant bird legs all the time. 'Mericans like their meats.....

I can honestly say that no, I've not paid much attention to what others choose to eat, either in Disney or elsewhere. Unless I'm passing by them and want to know where they got something good from! I'm gluten free and I don't even notice if people are eating churros or burgers or cookies. Heck, these are normal things in any restaurant or grocery store and definitely not out of the norm to be shocked by.

I'm an American who does eat, and thoroughly enjoys, meat; but that doesn't mean I eat steak or burgers all the time. And if I choose to try a turkey leg while on vacation that certainly doesn't mean it's a staple in my diet and I would hate to be judged by someone walking past me for 5 seconds. My diet, btw, is g-free, low carb, whole foods, no processed foods in my normal every day eating because I have to eat this way. On vacation I might order a steak, or splurge in some other way. Not with gluten though.

I do agree that the US has obesity and health issues, and people eat a lot of convenience foods. But, I strongly object to the idea that vegan/vegetarian equals healthy and eating meat is not "as healthy". Take a look at some news articles about malnourished children and adult vegans. I certainly don't assume that all vegans or vegetarians are malnourished and don't have proper nutritional intake, so I don't expect to be judged as an unhealthy-meat-eater because I choose to include animal proteins in my diet.

I've said it before, I'm glad that Disney gives those of us on special diets some choices. There are so many places I go where I either can't eat anything on the menu, or its severely altered, like a plain salad with oil and vinegar. I can't trust most places to not have gluten even in salad dressings, sauces, or seasonings, let alone cross contamination issues. When I'm in Disney I can eat pretty normal. But I don't expect an entirely gluten free restaurant and even if they did have one I wouldn't want to eat there every day on vacation. I don't think it's weird and I'm not shocked that they don't have one. Gluten free diet is a minority and so is vegan diet. If they thought it would be profitable they would do it.

I can honestly say that no, I've not paid much attention to what others choose to eat, either in Disney or elsewhere. Unless I'm passing by them and want to know where they got something good from! I'm gluten free and I don't even notice if people are eating churros or burgers or cookies. Heck, these are normal things in any restaurant or grocery store and definitely not out of the norm to be shocked by.

I'm an American who does eat, and thoroughly enjoys, meat; but that doesn't mean I eat steak or burgers all the time. And if I choose to try a turkey leg while on vacation that certainly doesn't mean it's a staple in my diet and I would hate to be judged by someone walking past me for 5 seconds. My diet, btw, is g-free, low carb, whole foods, no processed foods in my normal every day eating because I have to eat this way. On vacation I might order a steak, or splurge in some other way. Not with gluten though.

I do agree that the US has obesity and health issues, and people eat a lot of convenience foods. But, I strongly object to the idea that vegan/vegetarian equals healthy and eating meat is not "as healthy". Take a look at some news articles about malnourished children and adult vegans. I certainly don't assume that all vegans or vegetarians are malnourished and don't have proper nutritional intake, so I don't expect to be judged as an unhealthy-meat-eater because I choose to include animal proteins in my diet.

I've said it before, I'm glad that Disney gives those of us on special diets some choices. There are so many places I go where I either can't eat anything on the menu, or its severely altered, like a plain salad with oil and vinegar. I can't trust most places to not have gluten even in salad dressings, sauces, or seasonings, let alone cross contamination issues. When I'm in Disney I can eat pretty normal. But I don't expect an entirely gluten free restaurant and even if they did have one I wouldn't want to eat there every day on vacation. I don't think it's weird and I'm not shocked that they don't have one. Gluten free diet is a minority and so is vegan diet. If they thought it would be profitable they would do it.

Agreed!

I will say, having been to Italy and seen how much further along they are with gluten-free food than we are in the US - children are tested for allergies/intolerances/celiac early and parents receive a stipend if children test positive; also, there are some restaurants that have their entire menu available gluten-free and not just a section (though there are those too) - it does surprise me that the restaurants in the Italy pavilion are not more gluten-free-friendly.

But fortunately there are other options.

When I went to dinner at boma-the only thing I could eat was green beans..

I had quite a lengthy conversation with a chef-
And he brought me my favourite vege meal; created just for me.

This would never,ever happen back home in the UK.
I was thrilled and we left a tip to show how full of gratitude we were.

Right there with you. My diet is much the same as yours. I'd also like to point out that the recent articles that have come out on sodium point to it being somewhat of a non-factor unless you have hypertensive issues. One person's daily sodium tolerance is not going to be the same as someone else's. I really hate the nutrition guidelines out there. They assume everyone is the same and that is FAR from the truth. It honestly bothers me when people constantly quote them to me verbatim. Please realize that we all have different heights, weights, body chemistries, inherited conditions, etc. We have never been one-size-fits-all.

I agree that buffets are difficult to eat at. I always speak with the chefs in WDW to find the gf foods, if any, are on there and/or to make something special for me. Thankfully Disney is great with that and I've had some really tasty dishes not on the menus. My best experience at a buffet was Tusker House where the chef made me extra gf waffles because I made the comment that I was excited to have them and never eat waffles. He brought me several gf items right to the table after that. I also had an excellent experience at Spice Road Table (not a buffet) where the chef went over all the vegetables and sides they had, which combinations I would like, and made me something to my taste. We already had the lamb and the grilled skewers ordered, which were naturally gf.

Agreed!

I will say, having been to Italy and seen how much further along they are with gluten-free food than we are in the US - children are tested for allergies/intolerances/celiac early and parents receive a stipend if children test positive; also, there are some restaurants that have their entire menu available gluten-free and not just a section (though there are those too) - it does surprise me that the restaurants in the Italy pavilion are not more gluten-free-friendly.

But fortunately there are other options.

I have only eaten at Tutto once and never eat at the F&G or F&W booths or Via Napoli because they don't have anything guaranteed gf. Tutto was just "ok", IMO.

A stipend?! That's really cool!

My comment was meant to be lighthearted jest....geesh! Maybe I should have put lots of laughing emoji's after. I do think American culture is big on meats in general though. Look how popular bacon is! lol! I also notice EVERYTHING people are eating because I LOVE food, not because I am judging people. As a bodybuilder, my dietary needs include a lot of meat but I enjoy all foods both Veg and non Veg. I couldn't care less if someone eats a pound of asparagus or an entire cheesecake.

Have you suggested one to them? If not do so

I eat about half my meals without meat so I'm all for it. My DH wouldn't step near it though. We'd eat sperate meals. Which is what I think would happen in the vast majority of cases and why it would never happen
Ang........don't be bullied in this. Veggie or even vegan options in most restaurants are more than enough for the optional meals. I hate that "veggies/vegans" call it healthy eating when most "veggie/vegans" I know are malnourished and anemic!

My comment was meant to be lighthearted jest....geesh! Maybe I should have put lots of laughing emoji's after. I do think American culture is big on meats in general though. Look how popular bacon is! lol! I also notice EVERYTHING people are eating because I LOVE food, not because I am judging people. As a bodybuilder, my dietary needs include a lot of meat but I enjoy all foods both Veg and non Veg. I couldn't care less if someone eats a pound of asparagus or an entire cheesecake.
I apologize if my post came across as attacking what you wrote. I'm not angry or offended. My issue with some of the posts on this thread regarding the healthy aspects of the vegan/vegetarian diets and the seemingly superiority attitude was what I was really trying to address. (case in point: "The world would be a better place if everyone just ate a little less meat") Umm, the world would be a better place if we all were just nicer to our fellow men/women and not judge others.

I happen to love food too, including asparagus, cheesecake AND bacon! In fact, you may see me walking in AK in the morning with a bloody Mary and a big slice of bacon in it! Feel free to notice me and I'll gladly send you to Dawa bar for that goodie. Alcohol AND bacon?! In the morning?! Yep....
:thumbsup2

That is interesting. I know that they have various fruit dishes. So I am surprised that the applesauce has meat or meat product in it. Same with the fruit salad and the other salads. Africa is also pretty big on vegetarian dishes.

Maybe there was some kind of miscommunication?

That is interesting. I know that they have various fruit dishes. So I am surprised that the applesauce has meat or meat product in it. Same with the fruit salad and the other salads. Africa is also pretty big on vegetarian dishes.

Do they use gelatin as a thickener in their sauces? That would make it non-vegan, I believe

Ang........don't be bullied in this. Veggie or even vegan options in most restaurants are more than enough for the optional meals. I hate that "veggies/vegans" call it healthy eating when most "veggie/vegans" I know are malnourished and anemic!

Charming.

Maybe she doesn't like fruit? Or meant specifically from the savory dishes?

Aside - it's funny to many people who know me that even with my limited diet, there are things that fit into the parameters, but I still won't eat because I simply don't like them. Like sauerkraut or anything pickled. Totally low carb, but I'm totally staying away from those foods.

Do they use gelatin as a thickener in their sauces? That would make it non-vegan, I believe

Maybe she doesn't like fruit? Or meant specifically from the savory dishes?

Aside - it's funny to many people who know me that even with my limited diet, there are things that fit into the parameters, but I still won't eat because I simply don't like them. Like sauerkraut or anything pickled. Totally low carb, but I'm totally staying away from those foods.

That could be true for the applesauce, but I'm sure there are more choices.

I just tent to read many allergy reviews. And sometimes vegetarian falls in with those reviews. And it seems that Boma uses different kinds of "milk." Even to the point that something with "milk" won't be gluten free because the "milk" isn't actually milk. Coconut is gluten free, but many nut milks aren't. I've read many vegetarian reviews and from what I remember, people raved about Boma and they all recommended that others try it.

Of course it could be that she simply didn't like anything that Boma had that was vegetarian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter