How often do you rent your DVC points?

You can look it up for yourself, not difficult to find.

This was my point. I'd say it's a small but real risk, one I'm not personally going to take going forward. I also don't use escrow for the same reasons, even more risky to the owners IMO.

Ill live . Show me one time it happened and I still won't care

Ill live . Show me one time it happened and I still won't care
You really don't care about the rules? I agree the risk is low but not zero. I have seen examples of issues over the years, there was one reported here recently that MAY have been related to this issue, we never got confirmation. I have seen reports of paypal freezing & closing accounts and refunding money to the other party due to this questions. From the reports I've seen Paypal normally sides with the payer when there is a dispute. Paypal changed their rules a few years ago, they used to allow payments for real estate.

I found these post on TUG with a quick search
I know you cant use paypal to accept payment for the sale of real estate, including timeshares. I know because I was caught doing it. Paypal made me stop and I had to file an affidavit promising I would never do it again, and telling them how I intended to use my paypal account. I was clear in that affidavit that I would be accepting rental payments
I just wanted to inform you that I used your tip page to help me rent out my timeshare and I would recommend taking paypal off of the list of recommendations. The buyer completed the transaction and then they put my account on hold so that I could not access the money. Three calls later and after having to hand over my credit card info, bank account numbers, driver's license and SS#, they finally tell me that they cannot complete the transaction because the timeshare is being rented further than 20 days out. All of the customer service reps were aware of that, yet they kept asking me to send more and more information. And now, I have to follow up with whether they returned the buyer's money and try to find another form of payment that is suitable to them. It's been a nightmare. I have been talking to other people about the issues I have been having and everyone I talk to that has ever used paypal has had their account frozen, lost money, ect. Bottom line is, if you cannot use paypal for transactions more than 20 days out, then it really isn't useful for most users of this site. I would highly recommend taking that out of your tips page for renting timeshares.
OK, here is my tale of woe!

I rented out an expensive timeshare, for check-in today (November 21.) The seller (let's call him Lou Jones) signed the rental agreement. On November 4, I received payment from another person (let's call her Beth Smith) via Paypal. I wasn't too worried that payment came from someone else, because a lot of renters do this, and I've never had a problem before. I sent a "Thank you for your payment" email to the person who made payment, but didn't get a reply. (Also not unusual.)

A few days later, I sent Lou Jones his check-in confirmation. I didn't hear anything else about this rental until today, check-in day, when I got a notice from Paypal that the payment was fraudulent and that I needed to pay them back the full amount of the rental.

I called the resort, and it seems that Lou Jones has in fact checked in. However, he doesn't answer his room phone.

Paypal has requested that I provide more details about the transaction. I have tried and tried to respond, but I get an error each time. Does anyone have a phone number for Paypal that I can use?

Has anyone else ever run into a problem like this? One thing that bothers me is that I'm not sure how to protect myself in the future. I can insist that payment be made in the name of the person who checks in, although I've had many payments made in other names before, with no problem.

Do you think there's any chance Paypal will find in my favor?

Also, is there anyway I can get the "renter" evicted from the room? Should I even try?

How would you handle a chargeback on a rental when the renter knew it was non-refundable and agreed (in email as well in a signed contract) I have over 65 emails back and forth and several discuss the non-refundable issue and them acknowledging that they were aware of this?

I did allow them to try and change the dates and location which was not allowed but silly me for trying to help. I guess this was not good enough for them and they did a chargeback sometime late last week I am guessing since I just found out about it today.

I was notified that they have received a credit on their account and my account has been debited for the full rental amount and it could take up to 75 days for me to hear back on the credit card/paypal ‘s decision.

Yesterday (and today) they emailed me to ask me to look into new dates for the reservation they filed the chargeback with and thanking me for trying to assist them. They knew they had filed a chargeback and was already given a refund for the week but they must have thought that I didn’t know about it and wanted me to book something for them anyways, they also knew the resort was only allowing me a onetime change and after that the unit would be non-changeable and I would lose the week and all of my money that I had paid my resort for the reservation if they won the chargeback.

Before I knew about the chargeback I had agreed to give them until the middle of next week to give me new dates /locations and after that date the week would be forfeited and nonrefundable, but now that they did the chargeback how would you handle it? Would you ask them to remove the chargeback and book the new dates if available? Would you tell them that you had tried to work with them but now that a chargeback was involved that that you will only deal with the Credit Card Company and paypal? Would you still book a week with the unit if you won the chargeback making yet another exception (which could be 1-3 months down the road before you know if you win or lose?)

Has this happened to anyone before and if so what did you do, did you win or lose?

Thanks for any advice
I also found this post related to paypal and while it's worded more strongly than I would, I agree with it's sentiments.
Anyone who asked me to do a paypal friend and family transfer for a business transaction would promptly find themselves with a canceled sale. The friends & family transfer option is not for a timeshare rental or any other sales transaction.

I don't get the fuss about PayPal. I agree it's not "allowed' to use PayPal for timeshare transactions but most people do it anyway. PayPal knows this and look the other way anyway. PayPal gets paid every time 3% in transaction fee.

The other thing, should a renter complain to PayPal or their cc. What can PayPal do except for freezing the account and take whatever money is in the account?

When I receive funds I transfer them straight away to my personal banking account. When the money is in my banking account PayPal can do absolutely nothing. They could ofc try and charge my cc but since I didn't authorize the charge I could always file for a chargeback with my bank.

The laws in my country does not give PayPal the right to charge my cc for whatever reason if I haven't approved it. They can claim I owe them money, but that still doesn't give them the right. They can then try and sue me, but on what grounds? Their own "rules"? I don't think that would get them far.

So seen from my chair unless I get the money in the hand, the fastest and safest way is to use PayPal, it's also an expensive way, since the renter pays a transaction fee, but I also pay a fee to receive the funds ☹️

In my country checks a so ooutdated that we can't use them anymore. Banks are now allowed to decline any use of them. Unless ofc it's a foreign check from another country, in that case the banks have huge fees to manual process them.

What can PayPal do except for freezing the account and take whatever money is in the account?
Paypal has a link to a bank account and often to a CC, they could take the money back from one of those.

Paypal has a link to a bank account and often to a CC, they could take the money back from one of those.

Maybe its because i'm not from the US, but paypal dont have that option on my account. I have linked my cc but thats only for convenience, I still need to approve any use of it.

I have also entered my account info for when I do withdrawels, but paypal can't take any money that way - no one can't except for the bank and my ofc.

I would think that would be the end of PayPal if they just "took" money out of a bank account with out the owners authorization or a court order. I don't think the bank that the account was in would be to happy either. Credit Card companies have lots of bank accounts tied to there companies but can't just take your money unless the bank account owner authorizes it.

I don't get the fuss about PayPal. I agree it's not "allowed' to use PayPal for timeshare transactions but most people do it anyway. PayPal knows this and look the other way anyway. PayPal gets paid every time 3% in transaction fee.

The other thing, should a renter complain to PayPal or their cc. What can PayPal do except for freezing the account and take whatever money is in the account?

When I receive funds I transfer them straight away to my personal banking account. When the money is in my banking account PayPal can do absolutely nothing. They could ofc try and charge my cc but since I didn't authorize the charge I could always file for a chargeback with my bank.

The laws in my country does not give PayPal the right to charge my cc for whatever reason if I haven't approved it. They can claim I owe them money, but that still doesn't give them the right. They can then try and sue me, but on what grounds? Their own "rules"? I don't think that would get them far.

So seen from my chair unless I get the money in the hand, the fastest and safest way is to use PayPal, it's also an expensive way, since the renter pays a transaction fee, but I also pay a fee to receive the funds ☹️

In my country checks a so ooutdated that we can't use them anymore. Banks are now allowed to decline any use of them. Unless ofc it's a foreign check from another country, in that case the banks have huge fees to manual process them.

Deans just being a PITA as always cause he doesn't like me . He already stated multiple times it's highly unlikely anything happens.

Deans just being a PITA as always cause he doesn't like me . He already stated multiple times it's highly unlikely anything happens.
I know, but he is a great source of knowledge on all timeshares and brings good arguments to board. I always value his knowledge. Much more extensive than mine since I'm a novice at this timeshare thing.

Maybe its because i'm not from the US, but paypal dont have that option on my account. I have linked my cc but thats only for convenience, I still need to approve any use of it.

I have also entered my account info for when I do withdrawels, but paypal can't take any money that way - no one can't except for the bank and my ofc.
I can't say what links you have, mine has a CC and bank account and by the user agreement.

I would think that would be the end of PayPal if they just "took" money out of a bank account with out the owners authorization or a court order. I don't think the bank that the account was in would be to happy either. Credit Card companies have lots of bank accounts tied to there companies but can't just take your money unless the bank account owner authorizes it.
I've already consented to them taking money under their rules. Here is a link to their user agreement info. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#s4-restricted-activities

No, it's not personal. We simply strongly disagree, that's different.

Its ok to disagree as long as you are not being personal. In my time here I have found Dean to be a good source of knowledge.

I've already consented to them taking money under their rules. Here is a link to their user agreement info. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#s4-restricted-activities

I haven't read the extensive user agreement for my country, nonetheless PayPal can't just withdraw money from my bank account or cc.

I think Dean posted the info but my recollection when agreeing to link the bank account is that I was agreeing they could take funds back out if necessary. It was awhile ago but I've always had that in the back of my head. With that agreement a bank isn't going to do much about it and you would be fighting with Paypal - who you gave authorization to in all that fine detail you may have clicked thru.

I think Dean posted the info but my recollection when agreeing to link the bank account is that I was agreeing they could take funds back out if necessary. It was awhile ago but I've always had that in the back of my head. With that agreement a bank isn't going to do much about it and you would be fighting with Paypal - who you gave authorization to in all that fine detail you may have clicked thru.
I think they still need authorization to take money out of a non-PayPal account, they can freeze and debt your account with them but not another banks. How would your bank know that PayPal debited your bank account lawfully??? If you contested it with your bank, I'm sure that PayPal would have to come up with something better than just their user agreement that you clicked on to debit your account with out your authorization. PayPal isn't a bank, just a middleman.

How often do I rent? Never! Because I am always banked and borrowed out! :D

We have rented out a few times, half on here and the other half through David's. This last time was because we borrowed 100 or so points to book a reservation and then our plans changed to a trip in our next use year.

hqdefault.jpg

Congrats on joining the family.. You won't regret it.. :) We have rented our points 1 time since we've had them. The reason we rented them was to pay for a Disney Cruise. I'm not sure how everyone feels, but I don't think it's very wise to cruise on points. Back then for our family of 4 at the time was ~$2500 so I rented 200 of our points and made up the majority of that cost. Other than that though with banking and my own reservations we've never had a problem using them. However I understand in your case you might have a very small window to use those points. Know though there are lots of people that love to just rent the points vs buy their own contract because they realize how much of an upgrade most DVC rooms are over the moderates...

Mark
Same here. Rented one time very easily through Davids rental. I used the proceeds to pay for my Disney cruise. Saved almost a years points that way. Rented in 1 day. I love knowing I have that option if and when I ever need it again.
Kerri

So I once rented points (back in 2011) via the board and it was very easy, and have always been able to use all of our points in the past. But this year find ourselves probably not able to use all that we currently have available with more coming later this year. Am thinking we would rather get something and pay annual dues or bank the proceeds to help cover our next trip. Seems like most either make points available on the board or use David's.

So why would you choose Boards over David's or vice versa?
And if Boards given all of the paypal discussion above, what method of payment would you recommend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!