How often do you rent your DVC points?

Cbtexan04

Mouseketeer
I'm in the final stages (waiting for closing docs) for our first resale purchase! Our contract has 240 banked for 2017, and 120 banked for 2016. Unfortunately, we won't be able to use the 2016 points, and likely won't be able to use 120/240 of the 2017 points.

At what point does the mouse send you nasty letters about making reservations for someone else? How often do you guys rent your points?

They will not care if you use them or not. If you don't use them they just go away.

The docs say after 20 rentals in one year per contract, then they start looking at you as someone who is a commercial enterprise. Anything under that is ok. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.
But to answer your question, right now we are in a stage where we rent half our 440 points out a year. We have used them all before and we will again, but right now instead of losing them we rent them. They in turn pay for our dues on all our points every year.

I find getting another member to transfer to is easier you let them make the reservations. I never had that many points but they went within 2 days both times . Only thing is you can only do one transfer per uy

I have used David's DVC Rentals once when I had a small number of points. Was going to lose. Very easy and, as said before, paid a portion of my dues! Win/Win

We have never rented our points. We give them away as trips for family and friends or use them ourselves.

Congrats! Welcome home! We use David's to rent out and at times when we run out to rent points fir ourselves. Super easy. Helps with the dues! We have only done it a couple of times so never been flagged as a Disney problem.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Definitely makes me feel better about renting points out :)

With a 2 week NYE trip left to book and a March UY, we have less than 60 points left in2017( out of 1200) . We do not rent our points, we use them! It helps that we are retired!:)

Never. I only have 13 left for April 2017 use year (booked July & December).

I have rented out unused points about 7-8 times over the past five years. No problems in finding willing buyers using Rent/Trade board. My own travel plans result in about one trip to Disney every other year. With a 200 point contract, I frequently have points to rent and use the income to pay for annual dues.

We bought ours to use them, so we have never rented. But I can foresee that it could happen in a few years.

I find getting another member to transfer to is easier you let them make the reservations. I never had that many points but they went within 2 days both times . Only thing is you can only do one transfer per uy

Is there any way we can lobby for 2 transfers (in/out) a year? That way we can swap points for the home resort advantage

I'm in the final stages (waiting for closing docs) for our first resale purchase! Our contract has 240 banked for 2017, and 120 banked for 2016. Unfortunately, we won't be able to use the 2016 points, and likely won't be able to use 120/240 of the 2017 points.

At what point does the mouse send you nasty letters about making reservations for someone else? How often do you guys rent your points?

Congrats on joining the family.. You won't regret it.. :) We have rented our points 1 time since we've had them. The reason we rented them was to pay for a Disney Cruise. I'm not sure how everyone feels, but I don't think it's very wise to cruise on points. Back then for our family of 4 at the time was ~$2500 so I rented 200 of our points and made up the majority of that cost. Other than that though with banking and my own reservations we've never had a problem using them. However I understand in your case you might have a very small window to use those points. Know though there are lots of people that love to just rent the points vs buy their own contract because they realize how much of an upgrade most DVC rooms are over the moderates...

Mark

Is there any way we can lobby for 2 transfers (in/out) a year? That way we can swap points for the home resort advantage

No only one time . It's not an issue for me since I have 100 points go ever 2 years and use 200 points and sell the rest . If you have multiple contracts though you can do one transfer per contract .

Transfer would be good -- except the points have already been banked -- and you can't transfer previously banked or borrowed points.

Transfer would be good -- except the points have already been banked -- and you can't transfer previously banked or borrowed points.

We'll likely be using Dave's for selling those banked points anyways. How do you guys handle transferring points to someone, and them not doing a chargeback/pulling their payment after you transfer?

We'll likely be using Dave's for selling those banked points anyways. How do you guys handle transferring points to someone, and them not doing a chargeback/pulling their payment after you transfer?

I used PayPal. Cross your fingers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter