How often do you rent your DVC points?

We'll likely be using Dave's for selling those banked points anyways. How do you guys handle transferring points to someone, and them not doing a chargeback/pulling their payment after you transfer?
I always rent privately and just do a personal check. I'm very clear on the terms and put myself in a position of least risk possible (not banked/borrowed points, early in the UY).

I used PayPal. Cross your fingers
Using Paypal for a timeshare transaction is a violation of their rules so it likely puts both parties at higher risk.

I always rent privately and just do a personal check. I'm very clear on the terms and put myself in a position of least risk possible (not banked/borrowed points, early in the UY).

Using Paypal for a timeshare transaction is a violation of their rules so it likely puts both parties at higher risk.

Well guess I lucked out then .

They don't police it but they could, and likely would, use the provision against you if there was an issue.
It would be pretty dam hard to figure out on their end . I'll take my chances .

I read yesterday that you can rent your points 20x before they make a fuss about it . It's also in there you can't rent you points . But people do they know about it don't do anything till it's execssive . Doubt they come after my 60 point transfers .

We are retired, we use every point and have used other peoples points and rented once.

If I were the OP I would check with David's Rentals.

It would be pretty dam hard to figure out on their end . I'll take my chances .

I read yesterday that you can rent your points 20x before they make a fuss about it . It's also in there you can't rent you points . But people do they know about it don't do anything till it's execssive . Doubt they come after my 60 point transfers .
I think we're talking 2 different things. My reference was to using paypal and the risks involved given that they would just say you used it for an unauthorized option if something came up. If you rented, accepted payment through paypal, and there was an issue, you could easily lose the money.

I think we're talking 2 different things. My reference was to using paypal and the risks involved given that they would just say you used it for an unauthorized option if something came up. If you rented, accepted payment through paypal, and there was an issue, you could easily lose the money.

I don't rent I transfer . Unless you can explain how they would find out how/if I even recived payment, nothing else matters .

I don't rent I transfer . Unless you can explain how they would find out how/if I even recived payment, nothing else matters .
Paypal could find out mostly if the other party or a third party complained or tired a CC chargeback. That was the question I responded to initially. I agree it's not a high risk but if something did come up, paypal could audit the account, take any money unilaterally and close the account. But it's really just an issue of honesty.

Paypal could find out mostly if the other party or a third party complained or tired a CC chargeback. That was the question I responded to initially. I agree it's not a high risk but if something did come up, paypal could audit the account, take any money unilaterally and close the account. But it's really just an issue of honesty.

Yeah and has nothing to do with DVC rules . That's can happen any PayPal purchase you make . That's also why I said fingers crossed

Yeah and has nothing to do with DVC rules . That's can happen any PayPal purchase you make . That's also why I said fingers crossed
It could with any transaction but when you use it for something that is against their rules, the risk is higher. For DVC, transferring for payment is a violation of the POS but historically they haven't enforced it. I'm sure I rent timeshare a lot more than you (roughly 400 points a year, average 6 other timeshare weeks) and I will not be using timeshare going forward. Historically I've left the option open if the other party pays the fees but I won't give that option in the future.

It could with any transaction but when you use it for something that is against their rules, the risk is higher. For DVC, transferring for payment is a violation of the POS but historically they haven't enforced it. I'm sure I rent timeshare a lot more than you (roughly 400 points a year, average 6 other timeshare weeks) and I will not be using timeshare going forward. Historically I've left the option open if the other party pays the fees but I won't give that option in the future.

All that to say they don't enforce Gotcha thanks for the heads up

TBH I don't even believe dvc has any such policy about PayPal.
You still don't understand. DVC has a policy to not allow payment for transfers. Paypal has a policy that excludes real estate transactions and specifically lists timeshares as excluded under that policy. They are not related other than if one is violating both policies.

You still don't understand. DVC has a policy to not allow payment for transfers. Paypal has a policy that excludes real estate transactions and specifically lists timeshares as excluded under that policy. They are not related other than if one is violating both policies.

Can you show me those cause I don't believe you

Which exactly are you not believing? There were a few different things being talked about.

DVC does not allow you to transfer for payment. If you ever were to mention you were receiving a payment while on the phone with MS making the transfer they would refuse and have in the past per reports.

Renting is allowed though and you can accept payment. Commercial renting is not allowed but that's making a business out of it, not the occasional rental of points.

Paypal terms do not allow for payments for timeshare. It's not something easily policed but people have had their accounts suspended when paypal found they were doing this. That is paypals rules and nothing to do with DVC rules.

Sure.

From Paypal's FAQ
You can’t use PayPal to buy or sell real property, including buildings, land, or anything affixed to the land.

Besides the direct sale of real property, we also don’t allow transactions that involve:

• Raffles or lotteries offering the opportunity to purchase or the chance to win a specific house.
  • Real estate auctions that allow prospective buyers to sort through property listings and place bids on the property they want. There are many variations on what it takes to win. Typically, though, the winner is the highest bidder or the person whose bid is closest to the actual value of the house.
  • Reverse auctions offering properties for sale not to the highest bidder, but to the person who has the lowest unique bid. In a reverse auction you usually have to pay an administration or bidder’s fee before you can make a bid.
  • Tax lien certificate auctions in which prospective buyers place bids on tax lien certificates. These are certificates that represent a claim, or partial claim, on a property for the sum of unpaid taxes. The winning bidder becomes the property’s new lien holder.
  • Timeshare transactions -- offers to buy, sell, or rent rights to the periodic se of a property. A timeshare is real estate that is jointly owned by people who share the right to use the property and take turns using it.
From the DVC multi site POS Home Resort Rules and Regulations
9. Club members are expressly prohibited for receiving compensation for engaging in any transfer activity.

I guess the takeaway is that you can book a reservation for someone else, just not transfer the points (to not violate Disney tos)? Using PayPal seems like a pretty big risk, since if a user charges back, the seller has no recourse.

thanks dean you always come through in the clutch . You sure you didn't just type that up ?
You can look it up for yourself, not difficult to find.

Using PayPal seems like a pretty big risk, since if a user charges back, the seller has no recourse.
This was my point. I'd say it's a small but real risk, one I'm not personally going to take going forward. I also don't use escrow for the same reasons, even more risky to the owners IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter