How much was/is the cost of your trip?

Family of three, son is 6 years old. First Disney World trip (we live closer to Disneyland so that's easier). When we do this trip again there will be a few differences.

Here's a breakdown of OUR costs:
Flight: Taxes and fees only. I got a new credit card with enough airline points to use the points on this trip. (Only do this if you can afford to pay the credit card min spend in full on the first bill. If you cannot afford to do this then it is not worth it.) = 0
Hotel
: We own a timeshare and use RCI to exchange so we were able to get a 2-bedroom suite at The Fountains for $200 plus the respective fraction of our RCI membership and the maintenance fee of our timeshare ownership (all told probably less than $100). Having a timeshare unit also meant that we could eat in our room with our full kitchen and do laundry in our room too, both of which saved money.... = $300.
Park Tickets: We paid full price and bought them online months ago. Going during the slower time meant slightly cheaper tickets. We got three tickets for each of three parks for each day for three people = nine tickets total (two adults and one kid) which works out to about $900.
Food: We ate two meals at restaurants with table service which cost about $180 for both meals after tax and tip. Then we also ate three quick service meals and some snacks which totaled about $100. And of course I mentioned that we went grocery shopping and had meals in our room too. We stayed in Orlando for 7 days and did other activities there... all our groceries cost about $150 for the week so food total was about $430. Obviously these costs are all going to vary depending on how you live and how you vacation.
Souvenirs: Two tshirts, two toys, one necklace, one stuffed animal... added up to about $250 or so.
Parking: Since we didn't stay inside WDW we paid $20 for parking each day for three days. Parking at Disney Springs is free. Total = $60
Rental Car and Gas:
For the whole week it was about $200
Tolls:
not so much a cost worth budgeting for if you're willing to pay each in cash and are just going to WDW. But if you're going to do other stuff in the area then the tolls become very annoying.

Total was about $2150 give or take.

My husband says he wouldn't count all the food and gas as costs because most of those are the same as if we hadn't taken the trip, so maybe less if you think about it like that (minus about $200). For us though, we also have to factor in the cost of petsitting/housesitting which cost us about $200-$300/ week. And for many families (ours included) one needs to factor in the cost of lost income due to a vacation (as well as the cost of lost income if a stressed-out breadwinner doesn't take a break now and then and just burns out). We spent some money visiting the Kennedy Space Center ($140 - worth ten times that for our family) too as well as some time viewing wild manatees at Tampa power plant (free).

It definitely requires some planning to keep costs low. And if you break up the costs over time by paying piece by piece in advance then it doesn't feel like such a big hit when you actually take the vacation and thus the trip feels like a vacation (instead of a money pit).

I literally want to pass out at some of the prices i'm seeing!

I paid $2,600 for myself and my 2 kids. We are staying at AOA for 7 days and 6 nights. We have a 4 day hopper and the memory maker. I'm driving to Disney.

I have been planning for a year and a half, going in 6 weeks. one adult, one child.
Flight: $11.20-used 30,000 British airways miles from credit card bonus
Hotel: $125 resort fee- 5 nights at Swan - 40,000SPG points from two credit card bonuses
Tickets: hard to compute but pretty much free..used Swagbucks and a 35000 points from a citi thank you bonus.
Memory maker $40, part of a share
Stroller: $60
Parking: $75
Sister picking me up from MCO
uber back...@$30

Spending money and food, stroller and parking will be from regular food budget, several checking account bonuses and the disney visa bonus.

About $5500-6k....but that includes 90% of it...we had 8 nights at Bonnet Creek resort...8 day ( could of done just 6) no park hopping... $1600...flights for 4-- $630...car rental $160...park parking $140.....airport parking... $150...even includes boarding our pup!...food we are still adding up..we did 2 character dining...1 meal/dessert at Beaches and Cream...and packed lunches..ordered pizza 2x.

For our August 2016 trip it was around $6500 for 2 adults, 2 Disney kids and 1 infant. We stayed at the Beach Club (standard room) for 7 nights and got 6 day park hoppers + deluxe dining. That price did not include air fare.

Here's the breakdown for our upcoming trip with 2 adults and 1 adult-priced child (10).

Airfare and rental car - $850

4-day Magic Tickets - $1000

5-nights in Windsor Hills 2br condo - $425

Parking - $80

Meals - $500 budget (we take our own drinks & snacks, eat mostly counter service for lunch, try to dine offsite when possible, and splurge 1-2 table service meals)

That makes it $4k-ish. It's expensive for 5 days (and us not including 2 of my family members). It's probably the last trip we will do while we still have kids at home.

Our last 3 trips were pretty cost-effective because 2 of them were partially covered for work reasons, and because we had at least 2 trips within 10 months of each other, we got APs:

2 adults, 1 kid, 1 fetus/baby: APs: 750x2, 650 = 2150

May 2015, 5 nights:
BWV thru Disney reservations, got pixie dusted to a 1BR - $1500
Tickets: $2150/3 = $717
Airfare: $600 (one adult was free because of conference)
Food, etc: est $150/day = $750
= $3567

Feb/Mar 2016, 8 nights:
BLT 2br LV thru point rental = $5725 (a portion reimbursed bec of conference, and my parents, sister and partner and baby also stayed with us)
Tickets = $717
Airfare: $600 (one adult free because of conference)
Food etc: est $150/day = $1200
= $8242 total, less about $3000 reimbursed for point rental

April 2016, 8 nights:
GF $3000 (was $3400, then got ~$400 back due to room/checkin snafu)
Tickets: $717
Airfare: $900
Food: ~$1200
= ~$5800

In each of these, we got super lucky with room deals/pixie dust, which really helped with the cost.

Last June my family of 4 (all considered adults by Disney standards) had a 7-night stay at BWI in a standard room. With 4 airline tickets, park hopper tickets and all meals, alcohol and tips (we do not buy the dining plan, but still eat pretty good, at least one table service a day, but most days 2), we spent roughly $7k last year.

This year we will arrive on Memorial Day for three nights at BWI in a standard room and the move over to WL to a standard CL room for 5 nights. Same details above, we are estimating that the total this year will ring in somewhere around $8k. The CL room was a deal, due to the ongoing construction at WL. I was also able to take advantage of the New Year Room Offer for these bookings.

Not a trivial amount of money by any means. We love WDW, and it is where my kiddos (DS 11 and DD 15) want to travel to right now.

This is a trip for 6 people
1/29-2/5
1 night campsite(includes 2 days parking, MBs, early FP) $53.00
7 nights Windsor HIlls $950.00
flights $780.00
3 suitcases $120.00
3 days parking $60.00
rental van $275.00
Chase WDW tickets $1,694.00
Insurance (travelguard) $117.00
Food(grocery+park treats) $200.00
Camping supplies(tent/cots,heater,ext cord,blankets/sleepbag) $150.00
2 meals out $100.00
Total $4,499.00

Family of three, son is 6 years old. First Disney World trip (we live closer to Disneyland so that's easier). When we do this trip again there will be a few differences.

Here's a breakdown of OUR costs:
Flight: Taxes and fees only. I got a new credit card with enough airline points to use the points on this trip. (Only do this if you can afford to pay the credit card min spend in full on the first bill. If you cannot afford to do this then it is not worth it.) = 0
Hotel
: We own a timeshare and use RCI to exchange so we were able to get a 2-bedroom suite at The Fountains for $200 plus the respective fraction of our RCI membership and the maintenance fee of our timeshare ownership (all told probably less than $100). Having a timeshare unit also meant that we could eat in our room with our full kitchen and do laundry in our room too, both of which saved money.... = $300.
Park Tickets: We paid full price and bought them online months ago. Going during the slower time meant slightly cheaper tickets. We got three tickets for each of three parks for each day for three people = nine tickets total (two adults and one kid) which works out to about $900.
Food: We ate two meals at restaurants with table service which cost about $180 for both meals after tax and tip. Then we also ate three quick service meals and some snacks which totaled about $100. And of course I mentioned that we went grocery shopping and had meals in our room too. We stayed in Orlando for 7 days and did other activities there... all our groceries cost about $150 for the week so food total was about $430. Obviously these costs are all going to vary depending on how you live and how you vacation.
Souvenirs: Two tshirts, two toys, one necklace, one stuffed animal... added up to about $250 or so.
Parking: Since we didn't stay inside WDW we paid $20 for parking each day for three days. Parking at Disney Springs is free. Total = $60
Rental Car and Gas:
For the whole week it was about $200
Tolls:
not so much a cost worth budgeting for if you're willing to pay each in cash and are just going to WDW. But if you're going to do other stuff in the area then the tolls become very annoying.

Total was about $2150 give or take.

My husband says he wouldn't count all the food and gas as costs because most of those are the same as if we hadn't taken the trip, so maybe less if you think about it like that (minus about $200). For us though, we also have to factor in the cost of petsitting/housesitting which cost us about $200-$300/ week. And for many families (ours included) one needs to factor in the cost of lost income due to a vacation (as well as the cost of lost income if a stressed-out breadwinner doesn't take a break now and then and just burns out). We spent some money visiting the Kennedy Space Center ($140 - worth ten times that for our family) too as well as some time viewing wild manatees at Tampa power plant (free).

It definitely requires some planning to keep costs low. And if you break up the costs over time by paying piece by piece in advance then it doesn't feel like such a big hit when you actually take the vacation and thus the trip feels like a vacation (instead of a money pit).
Do you mind sharing what credit card you opened to get the free flights?
Thanks

Husband is convinced that we have been priced out of Disney and staying on property...I believe its just the cost of Disney these days. Can you please just share how many days and where you are staying.
I know there used to be a thread like this but the prices and trips are from 2012...would like to get some more recent trip cost.

THANKS EVERYONE :)
We've been DVC members since 2004, so for us it's hard to gauge current room prices and such. Back before we were though we would stay at CBR and I can remember it being every bit of 3-4000 for a week stay. However today when people ask me about Disney trips I really try to get them to look into renting points. There are a lot of great renters here on this board, but for the cost, depending on the time of year, you can get a much "nicer" room type than you might booking rack rates. Throwing in a Friday or Saturday might push that savings out the window, but points for stays Sun-Thu can be a great deal sometimes. However if you want to look into that you definitely have to watch the boards because threads pop up with prices varying from $11/$12 to $15/$16. As a current owner I truly feel the points are worth the $15 or $16 per point a night, or more, but when I'm looking to rent some additional points I'm definitely looking for those $11-$12 posts for possible help. Do a google search though for the point charts and usually a stay at Old Key or Saratoga could be less or comparable to your normal room stay if you find the right renter. Also some of the Studios will sleep 5 people. Old Key has 2 doubles and a single sleeper couch.

So I just wanted to put that out there as a option to help save a bit, or maybe get a bit more for your budget.

We've been DVC members since 2004, so for us it's hard to gauge current room prices and such. Back before we were though we would stay at CBR and I can remember it being every bit of 3-4000 for a week stay. However today when people ask me about Disney trips I really try to get them to look into renting points. There are a lot of great renters here on this board, but for the cost, depending on the time of year, you can get a much "nicer" room type than you might booking rack rates. Throwing in a Friday or Saturday might push that savings out the window, but points for stays Sun-Thu can be a great deal sometimes. However if you want to look into that you definitely have to watch the boards because threads pop up with prices varying from $11/$12 to $15/$16. As a current owner I truly feel the points are worth the $15 or $16 per point a night, or more, but when I'm looking to rent some additional points I'm definitely looking for those $11-$12 posts for possible help. Do a google search though for the point charts and usually a stay at Old Key or Saratoga could be less or comparable to your normal room stay if you find the right renter. Also some of the Studios will sleep 5 people. Old Key has 2 doubles and a single sleeper couch.

So I just wanted to put that out there as a option to help save a bit, or maybe get a bit more for your budget.

Even though we have found really good room deals, we had a really good experience renting points and staying in the villas. Our upcoming stays are point rentals and we are seriously considering buying points now. Because you can't count on the great room deals coming exactly when you can take vacation.

We are a family of 2 kids and 2 adults did our first WDW trip with the kids for about 7K (included flights from California, POR for 6 nights, 5 day hoppers, 1 day waterpark for 2 people, MNSSHP, 2 person character breakfast, food and souvenirs).

Alternately, we live in the SF Bay Area, so we do takes trips to DL every other year, stay at the DL hotel for 3 nights, get 2 day park hoppers and spend about 3K every time. I like to stay in the bubble, plus the convenience of being able to walk 10 minutes to get back to our hotel is why we won't stay "offsite" at DL. If we did, we could probably carve a good $800+ off of our total.

This time, we are renting DVC points at the Poly for 7 nights, 6 day hopper with water park and memory maker. So far I am in at a little over $4,200.00. I just need to figure out airfare (waiting for prices to come down a bit and see what Jetblue is offering). I think I can get the airfare for about $1,400 total. I think by the time we are done with our trip, we will be in at about $7500. Expensive? Yes! But, our kids are 10 and 8. We are about at a point where Disney loses it's "Magic" and just becomes less REAL to them. It was important for me to give them this last big magical WDW trip.

This will probably be our last WDW trip for quite a few years, and will take them to Hawaii next time and probably save some money

My husband and I are going February 2017 and have rented DVC points for the first time. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge 7 nights, with a 8 day park hoper ticket, and the standard dining package for $3,228.38.

Trip last summer was around $4600. Two adults and two kids, 8 days and 7 nights at CSR (standard), 7 day PH tickets, dining plan and MM.

This summer, we're doing the same trip and it's costing about $3800 with BB free dining (water view room).

If I was doing Disney on a stricter budget, I'd cut the DDP and 1-2 days (maybe even the PH)...that would get us close to $3000, even at a mod without a discount.

$5495 for 2 adults and 3 kids (7,3,2) this May.

7 nights at Poly Studio - $2495 (rented DVC Points including point protection)
6 day base for 2 adult 2 kids - $1350 through MWR on base where I work
Food/Souvenirs- $1500
Memory Maker - $150

Not counting travel I spent an average of about $150 per person per day (not night, actual days there) for a trip. It was father/daughter trips so 2 adults and didn't need more then 1 room or a larger room. I found the more we went, the less it costed. we aren't big table service people but we do get 1 or 2 somewhere in the trip. The more we went the better we got at saving money but doing more.. We also found the longer we stayed the cheaper per day got but we planned accommodations accordingly. We didn't need the deluxes and a moderate would have been a light splurge for us which we did occasionally do. Some trips we splurged and when we started to add on more table services, a tour, other value added extras then the price went up really really fast. One trip we just went nuts with snacks and merch and that one I felt when we got home.

Biggest cost for us was always food, it could be half the cost of a trip.

This is before potential promotions in fall.

We are staying either 8 nights or 6 nights. 6 nights is $2700 on the website. We are awaiting our travel agent for the final price. We will be doing Lion King Suite at AOA. Resort could always change if boyfriend's family decides to join us (we are going for his sister's wedding)

Airfare we don't know yet since Southwest hasn't gotten that far yet.

We are going on a trip to DW and on a Disney Cruise in February and I would say our cost is close to 8K, if not more (I'm a little scared to add it all up).
We are staying the first 3 nights at AOA in a Family Suite with my parents using the Stay, Play and Dine deal. We are getting 5 day park tickets (no hoppers). Then we are doing a 4 night cruise Inside Stateroom on the Wonder and then back to DW to stay 3 more nights at Port Orleans French Quarter with Dining Plan (our tickets from the first portion cover both hotel stays). We are driving to save some money and my kids are doing BBB and Pirates League. We are doing the Dolphin Encounter on our cruise as well as the Royal Princess tea (now THAT is expensive). We will also have to pay for one meal out of pocket because my daughter picked CRT as her birthday meal and that's 2 credits. I think in 2018 we are going to Europe (my DH is not a Disney fan) because DH thinks we can do it for about the same cost as we do Disney.
When I get my 7K number, I also buy gift cards at a discount and do Swagbucks to bring our costs down some.

We are going in October 2017. I rented DVC points for 4 nights at Bay Lake Tower in a MK view room for about $1250, but used rewards points on my credit card so it's actually zero. I'll buy 3 park hopper tickets and the mid level meal plan probably, so around another $1800 or so. We live close enough to drive (6-7 hours) but I'm looking into flying. Southwest tickets could be as cheap at $650 for all 3 of us. Some of these expenses will be offset by more rewards points on my credit card. I think I have around $1300 worth of credit left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter