• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you know your IQ

I've seen some pretty smart people do some pretty dumb crap and some pretty dumb people do some pretty smart things.

No, don't remember what my score was. Just like all the other standardized test I took, this one didn't mean a thing.

There is a general correlation between the results of standardized testing and IQ. I have to agree that some of the people I know who scored highest on their standardized testing are somewhat less well socialized than those who didn't do as well. Most of the people in my family, for example, scored very well, in the top 5% or better. My mom's cousin, who is a self-proclaimed genius, was the valedictorian of her HS class. She doesn't know how to drive, never has had a driver's license. One of my friends from HS is undeniably brilliant. She went to grad school at Berkeley, has a Ph.D. in math. On the other hand, I think I may have one of only a very few friends she had. She cut me out many years ago, and now doesn't even have contact with her family. Another of the brightest in my HS class committed suicide in his mid 20's. Another of my classmates is a Ph.D. mathematician in silicon valley. I don't know what my IQ score is, but, I did well enough to get through one of the top state medical colleges in the US, and also earn an MS degree in chemistry. I don't know that it matters, as long as I have a job and can support my family.

what I said earlier..... IQ tests,and the resulting numbers mean nothing in real life. I didn't know why myself or others in the family were tested in school,and it probably doesn't matter. I do know one family member who tested at 191 or something crazy high like that, it doesn't make one bit of difference in their or anyone else's daily life....no better,no worse..... and she's not the only 'unusual' score I know of either

what I said earlier..... IQ tests,and the resulting numbers mean nothing in real life. I didn't know why myself or others in the family were tested in school,and it probably doesn't matter. I do know one family member who tested at 191 or something crazy high like that, it doesn't make one bit of difference in their or anyone else's daily life....no better,no worse..... and she's not the only 'unusual' score I know of either

You are joking, right? Well if that were true, which I'm HIGHLY skeptical, she is wayyy smarter than Albert Einstein. She would be one of the most brilliant people on the face of the Earth! The rarity of that IQ is 1:1.5 BILLION! There would only be 6 other living people in the world with that high of an IQ, and there aren't even that many alive right now. :rolleyes:

Here's a list of some top IQ's ever recorded and your're saying that your family member's IQ is higher than some of these people???

http://opishposh.com/10-people-with-the-highest-iq-ever-recorded/

Nope,not kidding. It may have been 189..... It was somewhere WAY up there... Btw, I didn't claim any such lofty number for myself...... Hence why all this mythology surroundng IQ scores is vastly overrated - and FWIW there are plenty of HIGHLY intelligent people on this earth who have never been tested.... And have not gotten proper education opprtunities-does that make them less intelligent than another who has? These tests are highly subjective on so many levels that I wonder why anyone bothers with them at all,since the scores essentially mean.....not much at all. if anything,at best a higher score indicates a greater capacity for learnng....sometimes. If a person has the intelligence,and education,and drive to succeed,they will. No test or 'score' alters any of that.just sayin'...:rolleyes1

I scored high on a few IQ tests, it's done me absolutely no good whatsoever in life. I'm a sloth and I hate studying so I got consistently poor grades, only made it through a few years of college, and have held minimum wage jobs my entire life. IQ alone means nothing if you don't have the drive and determination to do something with it. It's like a beauty contest, it has nothing to do with what you've achieved in life and everything to do with what you were born with, which is a ridiculous thing to celebrate.

Nope,not kidding. It may have been 189..... It was somewhere WAY up there... Btw, I didn't claim any such lofty number for myself...... Hence why all this mythology surroundng IQ scores is vastly overrated - and FWIW there are plenty of HIGHLY intelligent people on this earth who have never been tested.... And have not gotten proper education opprtunities-does that make them less intelligent than another who has? These tests are highly subjective on so many levels that I wonder why anyone bothers with them at all,since the scores essentially mean.....not much at all. if anything,at best a higher score indicates a greater capacity for learnng....sometimes. If a person has the intelligence,and education,and drive to succeed,they will. No test or 'score' alters any of that.just sayin'...:rolleyes1

Those who understand statistics can see how outlandish your family member's claim is. She would be highly recognized in the world with an IQ that high. Even if it were 20 points lower, she would be recognized. We'd all know who she is. Now if we drop down to say a 130 IQ, which 5% of the population has, the difference between that and someone with a 120 IQ would not be noticeable in society, but someone with a 160 IQ and above (your family member is claiming hers is 189-191) would be functioning vastly different than your average person. This would be somebody the world would know about which is why her claim is so grossly unbelievable. This would be someone who could find the cure for all cancers because she would be that smart. But, she would also likely be extremely socially inept and other psychological issues. It would be hard to function as a normal person with a 190 IQ.

What has she done with her life? I'm not being snarky, I'm just really curious.

Yes I do. I am a psychometrist and I administer over 1000 IQ tests a year. Intelligence scores are just one factor that can predicts one's abilities and success. Other factors that are just as important are personality and motivation.

I'm unsure of my IQ. I remember taking some tests along those lines and doing well, but what that was I don't recall. I have a nephew, who's in 7th grade, who took the ACT test recently for fun I was told. He amazingly scored higher than his mom did when she was admitted to the University of Illinois. i'm wondering what his IQ is! Or what happened to the ACT. Popular outgoing nephew also, was recently named most popular in his class.

Those who understand statistics can see how outlandish your family member's claim is. She would be highly recognized in the world with an IQ that high. Even if it were 20 points lower, she would be recognized. We'd all know who she is. Now if we drop down to say a 130 IQ, which 5% of the population has, the difference between that and someone with a 120 IQ would not be noticeable in society, but someone with a 160 IQ and above (your family member is claiming hers is 189-191) would be functioning vastly different than your average person. This would be somebody the world would know about which is why her claim is so grossly unbelievable. [/QUOTE]
Ummmm...... yeah,sure.:rolleyes1 I would counter,"and those who understand people, whether 'high IQ' or 'lower IQ' would understand your statement to be absurd"......... .........Functioning differently than the "average" person? Maybe.....that's debatable in the extreme,but I do realize it's the current fashion to believe this......
........"Everyone" would know about them? Highly unlikely,especially if this person slipped through the cracks of higher education many,many years ago.......(yes, folks, believe it or not, test scores don't indicate much of anything in life,huge surprise)
.........I find it hard to understand how people in general don't understand the concept of people just...existing....without being "discovered" for one reason or another,it's the story of MOST people's lives! The "extraordinary" people we "all" seem to know about are a select few......I am 100% sure there are many,many more.....
.........I have no reason to disbelieve her, since she has no reason to lie about things,and certainly hasn't spent any time in life bragging about her "specialness" although she realizes her scores were very high.......
.......... This forum is a place to chat, but whether or not YOU believe me or her doesn't matter to me at all.....it changes nothing. What I said remains true,and you are entitled to your own opinion. Just know that in your world of 'statistics', this has happened...and probably many more times than most people will ever consider.....
.........Again, I claim nothing for myself here (not a chance) but since Op asked the question I didn't see harm in sharing an anonymous persons story.....
..........FWIW, I know quite a number of people who have been tested for "IQ" over the years, and *many* of them have scored 140 and higher. Does this shock you also,that to me, a score of 140 seems fairly normal?
.........My particular person I am referring to has lived a pretty ordinary life, like the rest of us. Family,marriage, responsibilities,etc. All "normal" life stuff. No cures for disease,no atomic devices.Just an interesting,creative life.......
......anyway...... ya'll have a great day!:flower1:

It's even more absurd to believe that this person is functioning like a normal person without any extraordinary accomplishments because she may very well be the smartest person on the entire planet! I don't believe the tests can even score that high. Believe what you will though!

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

"These are IQs, their percentiles, and rarity on a 15 SD (e.g. Wechsler) and 16 SD (e.g. Stanford-Binet) scale. They were calculated using the NORMDIST function in Excel. The number of decimal places for the rarity was varied in the hope it might be useful. You can see why presently nobody should be able to get a deviation IQ higher than 195 (or 201 on the 16 SD scale). There are not enough people in the world to 'beat'. Note that rarities given are of people that have a certain IQ or higher. Some people might find it more useful to know the rarity of people that have a certain IQ or lower. In that case use this example as a guide: If you want to know how many people have IQs of 84 or lower, look at the rarity of people that have an IQ of 116 or higher. (100 - 84 = 16. 100 + 16 = 116)."

Last edited:
Those who understand statistics can see how outlandish your family member's claim is. She would be highly recognized in the world with an IQ that high. Even if it were 20 points lower, she would be recognized. We'd all know who she is. Now if we drop down to say a 130 IQ, which 5% of the population has, the difference between that and someone with a 120 IQ would not be noticeable in society, but someone with a 160 IQ and above (your family member is claiming hers is 189-191) would be functioning vastly different than your average person. This would be somebody the world would know about which is why her claim is so grossly unbelievable.

I appreciate what you are trying to do and think most sensible people understand, but really it is like stemming the tide. I am sure that some people just lie about these things but more likely (and as I am gathering from this thread) most people just don't understand the methodology and meaning of a true IQ test. People desperately want to believe that they and their children are intelligent and take whatever evidence they have and make it meaningful. We have already seen how a claimed 138 IQ was most likely the result of some limited group test and not a true measurement.

Of course, none of our lives are impacted by someone dishonestly or erroneously claiming a certain number. I do think there is value in discussing the process but very few seem interested in that. I very much doubt that most people have been subjected to the real test.

I tend not to believe people who feel obligated to tell me how smart (or honest, or faithful, or religious) they are. Confident people do not need to do so and that is why when such claims are thrown around I tend to discount them. That is not say that they are lying - and even of they are it doesn't matter what I believe or think - because after all someone has to be in the highest percentiles (except for the claim of 189.)

ETA - Trying to Quote IdoDis

I appreciate what you are trying to do and think most sensible people understand, but really it is like stemming the tide. I am sure that some people just lie about these things but more likely (and as I am gathering from this thread) most people just don't understand the methodology and meaning of a true IQ test. People desperately want to believe that they and their children are intelligent and take whatever evidence they have and make it meaningful. We have already seen how a claimed 138 IQ was most likely the result of some limited group test and not a true measurement.

Of course, none of our lives are impacted by someone dishonestly or erroneously claiming a certain number. I do think there is value in discussing the process but very few seem interested in that. I very much doubt that most people have been subjected to the real test.

I tend not to believe people who feel obligated to tell me how smart (or honest, or faithful, or religious) they are. Confident people do not need to do so and that is why when such claims are thrown around I tend to discount them. That is not say that they are lying - and even of they are it doesn't matter what I believe or think - because after all someone has to be in the highest percentiles (except for the claim of 189.)

ETA - Trying to Quote IdoDis
I agree! I don't think most are lying, but rather misunderstand. Average IQ is 100 with a standard deviation of 15 points in either direction to still be considered an average IQ. An IQ of 130 while superior, is not extraordinary. On average, 1:44 people have this IQ. Many many states do not use IQ tests to test children for giftedness, and use academic tests instead, which are not the same thing. In my state Gifted Ecucation falls under the Special Education umbrella, so students were given true IQ tests. However, that practice has recently changed and kids are now being tested in groups which started last year. I believe this was done to save costs. You can guess what happened. I can't speak for other schools in my district, but the "gifted" population at my school nearly doubled in a year's time with the new testing format.

The ironic thing though is that there is not enough funding to pay for another gifted teacher. The gifted teacher at my school was paid 20% extra to take on more students, but by the end of this school year her caseload was equal to that of 2.5 teachers! That's 60 students. In a school of 800 students, the odds of having that many kids being "gifted" is not statistically accurate, but the kids are designated as "gifted."

Being in the education field where I meet with diagnosticians and student families on an ongoing basis to go over IQ and other diagnostic test results when students are tested for special ed services has definitely contributed to my deeper understanding of this. If I were in a different field, I would not be as aware, and might think I took an IQ test when I was in school when in reality, I did not. Like I mentioned earlier, the tests are expensive to administer, happen 1:1 over the course of several hours, and sometimes take more than one day to administer. When my DD was tested, it took 6 hours. IQ tests are normed so that it is statistically impossible for large numbers of people to have a very high IQ.

Just took an online IQ test. I scored 215. The test also identified that I won a 3 day vacation. I'm on my way to western union the exam fee to the test admin Ngoli in Nigeria. After that I'll probably do some other genius stuff like make a potato gun or grill some brats.

You are joking, right? Well if that were true, which I'm HIGHLY skeptical, she is wayyy smarter than Albert Einstein. She would be one of the most brilliant people on the face of the Earth! The rarity of that IQ is 1:1.5 BILLION! There would only be 6 other living people in the world with that high of an IQ, and there aren't even that many alive right now. :rolleyes:

Here's a list of some top IQ's ever recorded and your're saying that your family member's IQ is higher than some of these people???

http://opishposh.com/10-people-with-the-highest-iq-ever-recorded/
What I find interesting after looking at that list, is that -with the exception of Einstein and Hawking,-the accomplishments of the rest are having scored high on the IQ test, and going to Ivy League schools at an amazingly early age.

Take Marilyn Von Savant, for example. IQ of 190. She listed as a "columnist, author and playwright" That's it? I mean, she's no Shakespeare (not even close) or eve JK Rowling (not even close). A couple of others nave excelled at chess. But none of them, besides Einstein and Hawking have made history changing work.

Funny that people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, people who actually changed the world, were not even mention.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter