Disney TV at Sears for $29! Better Hurry

DianeV said:
----Based on the documents provided, it appears the business has adequately addressed all disputed issues and demonstrated a good faith effort to resolve your complaint.---

--This is what they said..I dont think that is what you are talking about

A refund is the way Sears decided to handle the dispute. Sounds like the posters who didn't get a refund are waiting and hoping to get the TV set.

I haven't read the entire thread but I don't think anyone who didn't get a refund, and asked for one, was denied.

I just gave you the difference between a good faith error and an error that wasn't good faith.

I am not going to ask for a refund! But if they do cancel it oh well! However if they do send me the pick up email, I am going to go and pick up the TV.

Just waiting on Sears! As of the 27th of October I will call and find out what is going on!

Lewis, by law they HAVE to give a refund if they are not selling you the item. That wasnt any good faith effort, it was what they HAD to do. Any business that doesnt send you the item you ordered has to refund..what did Sears do besides what the law says they have to do? Nothing that related to the determination the BBB made

Of course they have to give a refund. I'm not sure where I said they didn't. I'm not sure where I read anyone who said Sears refused to give them a refund.

A few people seem to be hoping their order falls in between the cracks and they wind up getting the TV instead of a refund. Those people aren't contacting Sears asking for a refund because they hope they wind up picking up the TV.

Good Faith means the error was something like a typo and not a "bait and switch" scheme.

Sears made an error and is giving refunds. Some customer service operators seem to have given out wrong information.

Bad service doesn't mean bad faith.

I don't think I'd use Sears for any internet orders. My problem is the service issue that this thread seems to highlight. The error was made with good faith, the FTC seems to have said Sears didn't do anything illegal but I certainly agree the service has been poor.

With many of these internet pricing errors a few customers get lucky and get the item for the mistaken price but the majority just get a refund.

DianeV said:
Lewis, by law they HAVE to give a refund if they are not selling you the item. That wasnt any good faith effort, it was what they HAD to do. Any business that doesnt send you the item you ordered has to refund..what did Sears do besides what the law says they have to do? Nothing that related to the determination the BBB made

I am not sure I would go so far as to say "interest free" loan. All stores pay about 2% on all credit card transactions.

OK not interest free but a loan nonetheless and at 2% not a bad deal for Sears.

Sears had to pay to process the credit cards, probably paid again to process the refund, had to pay operators to handle the complaints, executives had to decide if they wanted to honor the mistake and others had to reply to the FTC letters.

I doubt the interest for a few days on a $30 purchase was even close to being enough to cover the other costs.

People are reading much too much into this. It's a mistake followed by bad service not some big conspiracy.

Sears might have done better if they honored the price until the inventory ran out but it sounds like some customers wouldn't have been happy unless Sears gave those people rain checks.

NOT THE POSTERS ON THIS THREAD but some people seem to be "professional shoppers". They look for pricing mistakes, rebates and loss leaders. They pruchase and then sell on ebay.

Nothing wrong with doing this but I think it makes retailers less likely to honor pricing mistakes since the benefits aren't really going to their normal customers.

I, like many other posters here- just thought it was a great deal. When I go to Kohl's to shop and they have 90% off sales, I think nothing of it. There was no reason for many of us to think otherwise of this Sear's sale. Good deals do come along- or we wouldn't frequent these boards to find them. I ordered two- they cancelled. No big deal- except for the credibility of Sears. I used to shop them alot. Then when they quit the catalog- not so much. Now I think their stores are rather junky. It's never a store like JC Penney's, Mervyn's, or Kohl's that I go to on a regular basis. Even their appliances and tools aren't the same quality they used to be known for. Though I accepted their right to renig on this deal- they need to accpet the fact that I probably won't shop there ever again. I can buy a refrig. anywhere!! Sometimes being gracious and doing the 'right thing' goes a long way.

Lewisc said:
Sears had to pay to process the credit cards, probably paid again to process the refund, had to pay operators to handle the complaints, executives had to decide if they wanted to honor the mistake and others had to reply to the FTC letters.

I doubt the interest for a few days on a $30 purchase was even close to being enough to cover the other costs.

People are reading much too much into this. It's a mistake followed by bad service not some big conspiracy.

Sears might have done better if they honored the price until the inventory ran out but it sounds like some customers wouldn't have been happy unless Sears gave those people rain checks.

NOT THE POSTERS ON THIS THREAD but some people seem to be "professional shoppers". They look for pricing mistakes, rebates and loss leaders. They pruchase and then sell on ebay.

Nothing wrong with doing this but I think it makes retailers less likely to honor pricing mistakes since the benefits aren't really going to their normal customers.

Lewis,of course it wouldn't matter on a $30.00 purchase but multiply that by thousands and I think that you can see where Sears might come out ahead. :teacher: Seems like simple math to me.

Lewisc said:

While that is correct, it's not the consumer's responsibility to pay anything on an item that wasn't received, not even a few cents in interest. Sears could have avoided that by not billing the cc until the item is shipped like a lot of other online retailers do. Whatever it is they had to pay to process and refund these accounts is their own fact for not having a better system in place.

rie'smom said:
Lewis,of course it wouldn't matter on a $30.00 purchase but multiply that by thousands and I think that you can see where Sears might come out ahead. :teacher: Seems like simple math to me.

I'd think the cost to process the transactions is greater than the interest that might be earned. The percentage fee that Sears has to pay to process the charge and refund exceeds the interest earned for the few days.

The more orders Sears had to process and then cancel the more they lose. Simple math to me.

I AGREE THAT'S SEARS PROBLEM, my comments are directed to the conspiracy advocates who think this might have been done intentionally to generate interest income.

People are trying to read far much into this situation.

Sears made a mistake. They decided not honor it. The customer service was horrible. Their inability to promptly discover their error and cancel the orders makes me wonder if they're an internet seller I'd want to patronize in the future. Like many internet pricing errors a handful of customers get lucky.

I called Sears customer service yesterday to just get my refund, since it still said processed on the website for me. I talked to someone and asked about it the situation, she said my order was not cancelled, but to hold on. When she came back the order was indeed cancelled due to a processing error. I asked when was the transaction cancelled and why wasn't I informed. She said it was cancelled on October 10th which made me wonder why my credit card had been charged on the 12th.

I have no intentions of writing the BBB or the FTC, but instead a letter to the CEO Edward Lampert. I understand price glitches and I am not upset that the transaction was cancelled (a little bummed), but the manner in which credit cards were handled is appalling. He needs to also know that the inconsistent level of customer service. I work in retail, there is standard operating procedure in handling situations like these, it surprises me that sears does not adhere to such a standard.

Alice's Mom said:
I called Sears customer service yesterday to just get my refund, since it still said processed on the website for me. I talked to someone and asked about it the situation, she said my order was not cancelled, but to hold on. When she came back the order was indeed cancelled due to a processing error. I asked when was the transaction cancelled and why wasn't I informed. She said it was cancelled on October 10th which made me wonder why my credit card had been charged on the 12th.

I have no intentions of writing the BBB or the FTC, but instead a letter to the CEO Edward Lampert. I understand price glitches and I am not upset that the transaction was cancelled (a little bummed), but the manner in which credit cards were handled is appalling. He needs to also know that the inconsistent level of customer service. I work in retail, there is standard operating procedure in handling situations like these, it surprises me that sears does not adhere to such a standard.

thats a reasonable and well thought out plan.

I just had to share! I just got a Sear email advertising a sale! Those idiots put me on their mailing list when I ordered the TV. How ironic. I quickly unsubscribed to it. :rolleyes:

beattyfamily said:
I just had to share! I just got a Sear email advertising a sale! Those idiots put me on their mailing list when I ordered the TV. How ironic. I quickly unsubscribed to it. :rolleyes:

you agreed to it when you registed as a customer.

deltachi8 said:
you agreed to it when you registed as a customer.

Not to my knowledge, regardless, I was just sharing something I thought was ironic, not asking you for your words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

edited to add that I am NOT registered with them. I bought the TV without registering...it was an option to either register with them and provide a password etc... or purchase the TV without registering...I opted NOT to register.

beattyfamily said:

Same here, unscribed and answered the questionnaire! Guess we'll have to read the fine print next time (not that they'll be a next time for them!). :rotfl:

LOL, I got one sent also and did not register when I ordered my tv. After waiting for week to see what was going to happen with my order, I think I will shop online elsewhere. Too much suspense for me! LOL. They just got around to cancelling my order yesterday. I am glad it is finally over with. I swear every time I see one of those tvs in the store this whole crazy thing will be the only thing I think of!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

beattyfamily said:
Not to my knowledge, regardless, I was just sharing something I thought was ironic, not asking you for your words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

edited to add that I am NOT registered with them. I bought the TV without registering...it was an option to either register with them and provide a password etc... or purchase the TV without registering...I opted NOT to register.

Ditto, and I received the sale email also and unsubscribed immediately. The nerve. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter