• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Disney doesn't know if it's child or adult credit"

Sammie said:
I also know for a fact this not the way those responsible for setting up the plan up, intended for it to be used. But because that info is not printed in a brochure or online, it is considered hearsay. Whatever, I know what they said.

This statement is what has bothered me about your postings. It is completely contradictory to the way the plan was originally presented (and I have on numerous times presented the exact wording of the original brochure.) Yes, wording of the brochure has been slightly changed but the plan remains the same. There is has never been a distinction between adult and child credits. Any member of the plan is able to use any of the credits still to this day. Managers at each of the restaurants could easily instruct the workers on how to explain your belief that there are such credits if that was the the way that it is meant to be used. Yet still the wait staff everywhere around continue to accept credits as credits.

It just amazes me that people continue to criticize and insult others for using a plan completely within its rules. And those aren't my rules, or your rules, they are Disney's rules. If they change them then fine. Rules of plans are changed all the time and is completely within their right to do so. However, given the profits of Disney posted last year compared to other Orlando attractions and the fact that they are once again giving the plan away for free as an incentive for people to stay onsite this year, tells me that it is indeed a money maker for Disney.

I think that what Disney is saying is that

1. The credits are pooled so that people can use them as they please. Meaning they are versatile.

2. When children eat they need to order from a child's menu.

Why is this so difficult to understand? Why the drama? I just do not get it.

You eat at a signature restaurant and it is 2 credits. You get one of those credits from your child, and add another six to ten dollars to pay out of pocket for your child's meal. You eat at Le Cellier, and order the most expensive thing? How much is Disney losing?

bicker said:
nopity.gif

My gosh; is this thread STILL going on? I cannot believe people are still trying to rationalize their bad behavior! :sad2: I suppose where there's a weak-will, there's a way.

I agree, calling people "theives" who follow the rules is certainly bad behavior.

samijam said:
JUST A LITTLE FOOD FOR THOUGHT ON THE DINNING PLAN.

I returned from 8 days a few weeks ago. I thought the kid vs adult credit thing a little crazy. First off my kids were 8 & 9 at the time of trip. I asked if I could upgrade to adult meal plan and was told no. The choices for my kids were rediculous apple sause, chicken nuggets for the most part at all counter service, table service was not much better.

We ended up using adult credits to feed the kids, and it was a pain in the
*&# explaining what we were doing. The dinning plan ended up costing me out of pocket money for the kids. I still think I did save money overall however the plan still needs tweeking and a junior plan is needed. I was told by the CM on the phone and the CM at the resort, I would have no problem with ordering my kids what they wanted but it was a problem and at all but 2 places was it a hassle. We did not look forward to dinning because my kids did not want to eat baby food.

So what you are saying is that Disney would not let your kids order an adult meal??? Are you saying they told you that there are child and adult credits and that they are not interchangeable? I do not get it, according to most here they encourage you to use it so an adult can get an adult meal (use it any way you wish, is , I believe, the most common phrase thrown about). It does not make any sense why they would care who eats the adult meal that they are encouraging you to get, in order follow the flexibility that was built into the plan on purpose. :confused3

mickman1962 said:
So what you are saying is that Disney would not let your kids order an adult meal??? Are you saying they told you that there are child and adult credits and that they are not interchangeable? I do not get it, according to most here they encourage you to use it so an adult can get an adult meal (use it any way you wish, is , I believe, the most common phrase thrown about). It does not make any sense why they would care who eats the adult meal that they are encouraging you to get, in order follow the flexibility that was built into the plan on purpose. :confused3

Mickman, I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not here but just in case you are genuinely perplexed, I just wanted to say that it's pretty much established at this stage that Disney's rule is that all children 9 and under must order off the children's menus. That is one of the few clear things on the brochure! lol

samijam,
I can see your frustration at trying to choose meals for the children that they'd enjoy (and with some nutrition!) but it's on the MYW Dining brochure that children 9 or under must order off the children's menu. I think the CMs who said they could do otherwise gave you very bad information and made your planning much more difficult. I agree that it would be great if there was a junior plan or, better still, imo, let the parent choose whether or not they want the adult or child rate for their 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 year old and then, fair enough, Disney can be strict about how it's enforced i.e. if a 12 year old chooses the child rate, he must stick to the chlidren's menu; if an 8 year old chooses an adult rate, he would be free to choose off the adult menu. That seems fair to me, though, no doubt, I've missed a million loopholes. :lmao:

Overall though, I think 11 dollars is great value for a 9 year old and even if the meal needs supplementing with a bowl of soup or side of veg (paid oop) it's still not bad value at all! In any case, even if you weren't on the DP at all, most likely you'd have had the same issue with choosing meals and paying oop to supplement the kiddie stuff.

mickman1962 said:

Now thats funny. You know very well that the rules state that children under 10 must order from the childrens menu when using a pooled credit.

BTW you didn't anwer my question from a few pages ago. At what point if this isn't changed do you agree that this is an acceptble use of the plan and not a loophole they are taking time to close?

DebIreland said:
Mickman, I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not here but just in case you are genuinely perplexed, I just wanted to say that it's pretty much established at this stage that Disney's rule is that all children 9 and under must order off the children's menus. That is one of the few clear things on the brochure! lol

I understand that just fine. I was just wondering how Pedler and LewisC can explain to me why Disney wouldn't let a kid eat an adult meal if they'll let and adult use a kids credit to order and adults meal. (I know there is no such thing, don't go down that road again). People keep saying it's a sound business decision overall. If that's the case why alienate a few families who have kids who are big eaters? The amount of kids ordering adult meals surely must be around the same number as the number of adults paying OOP for the kids and using the credits for themselves. I was not a Business nor a Marketing major, however it seems to me if you allow one then you should allow the other. Something tells me I will be told otherwise. ;)

Pedler said:
BTW you didn't anwer my question from a few pages ago. At what point if this isn't changed do you agree that this is an acceptable use of the plan and not a loophole they are taking time to close?

Missed that post. Yes, if the 2007 plan doesn't put anything in writing as to what I believe the plan really is, I will admit I was wrong. I might even go so far as to take my niece down to Disney with me so I can use some of her credits for a Sig. meal. Actually I still wouldn't do it, but I will admit I was wrong.

Sammie, don't worry we will be proven correct. :thumbsup2

You really have to ask Disney those questions, I never said it was a sound business decision. If I was designing the plan I probably would have set up child and adult credits BUT I don't have any idea what that would cost to set up vs how much money would be saved. You keep using the phrase child credits even though you admit there is no such thing. All you're doing is posting incorrect information to confuse people into thinking your "argument" has validity.

Disney charges children less at buffets and all you care to eat restaurants but they allow the kids to eat adult food. Disney charges kids less at the theme parks but allow them, subject to height restrictions, to ride the "adult" attractions.

I'll agree 9 year olds that eat like adults don't do well with the plan. I'll also agree 11 year olds that don't eat very much also don't do well.

You want a direct answer, I'll speculate that Disney anticipated families would use the plan as was written for signature, character and dinner show meals. Everyone uses the plan or everyone pays out of pocket. There won't be enough unused credits from kids skipping meals for Disney to really care about.

The question isn't if we think Disney was smart setting up the plan the way they did. The question is how anyone reading the brochure is able to invent child credits and come up with these imaginary rules.

Look at CS and assume parents and kids eat during the day when someone is hungry but everyone doesn't eat at the same time. Assume the parents may have split at some point of the day. You're requiring the family keep some detailed records because Disney only keeps track of total CS meals.

Peddler and I aren't required to seculate as to why Disney set up the plan. All we're doing is reading the brochure without changing the meaning to reflect the way we would have set up the plan.

mickman1962 said:
I understand that just fine. I was just wondering how Pedler and LewisC can explain to me why Disney wouldn't let a kid eat an adult meal if they'll let and adult use a kids credit to order and adults meal. (I know there is no such thing, don't go down that road again). People keep saying it's a sound business decision overall. If that's the case why alienate a few families who have kids who are big eaters? The amount of kids ordering adult meals surely must be around the same number as the number of adults paying OOP for the kids and using the credits for themselves. I was not a Business nor a Marketing major, however it seems to me if you allow one then you should allow the other. Something tells me I will be told otherwise. ;)

Sammie said:
The problem is Disney is too large. If you go into any fast food place at Disney and ask a CM wiping down tables who the VP over Food and Beverage is most don't even know.

Upper level management makes policy, sadly not all CMs have enough initative to know these people and know policy. Others are only there for a pay check; many are disgruntled about wages and hours and they will try to stick it to management each and every chance they get.

Maybe my problem is most of you, sit on the outside, read the brochure, read the online info, take what a few hourly employees or some manager trying to share some pixie dust says and you make into corporate policy. That is not how it happens. I know the people who set the policy, I know the headaches they have in trying to make it work. I know the challenges they have with some of the college program CMs that will tell you most anything and think it is a huge joke. I also know they may not change anything if the cure is worse than the actual problem.

Sammie,

I may suggest that the people you have talked to may not be as in control of this policy as they would let you believe. First it doesn't appear to be just a few rouge CM's or managers with others offering advice to the contrary. It appears to be almost universal the advice is to use credits this way. It isn't just a few rouge CM's or managers.

The only parrallel would the the whole refillable mug issue. There is a clear policy on this and yes some CM's will look the other way or tell people to reuse old ones. At the same time it appears the vast majority say they are to be used for one trip only. This appears to be the case of a few CM's going out on thier own and ignoring policy. The Dinning plan doesn't have the comparable breakdown of CM's offering different advice.

The only official source to say otherwise is the ones that you know. I accept that when they created this itteration of the dinning plan this was not a design feature. But it did inherit a design feature of previous dinning plans that they may not have created. I would also suggest that just because they created the plan it doesn't mean they determine the policy going forward. It would appear that this is the case in this situation.

I am not doubting that the people you talk to did not intend this and that they do feel strongly about this I am just suggesting that maybe they are not the ones that set the on going policy and that by all appearences the ongoing policy is that this is an acceptable use of the plan.

BTW thanks for the info on the college program CM's. They must be the ones that answered my e-mail last year on ME. :rolleyes:

mickman1962 said:
Missed that post. Yes, if the 2007 plan doesn't put anything in writing as to what I believe the plan really is, I will admit I was wrong. I might even go so far as to take my niece down to Disney with me so I can use some of her credits for a Sig. meal. Actually I still wouldn't do it, but I will admit I was wrong.

Sammie, don't worry we will be proven correct. :thumbsup2

Reffillable beer mugs here we come! pirate:

mickman1962 said:

Part of the appeal of the plan is its simplicity. The more permutations you make the more complex and less appealing it is. I think the ideal solution for people with kids in the 8-12 range is a junior plan. I also don't think it would work. The menus would have to have junior meals, then everyone in that range would have to pay for a junior plan and you would have people with 8 year olds that wanted the kids plan, 11 year olds that wanted the adult plan. I think they traded off having the plan not work for some families but instead have it be simple and work for a lot more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter