• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Disney doesn't know if it's child or adult credit"

You really should take the time READ THE BROCHURE before you post this kind of gibberish.

The brochure clearly shows credits are aggregated per family. Disney could certainly use the non-transferrable provision to prevent groups from treating others but anyone on the reservation can use the credits.

Bicker--you have me confused with Sammie. Guests are free to use the plan as described by Disney in the brochure and aren't bound by emails that are posted on internet boards.

Joyce Kingkade said:
You go Sammie girl! I read on the dining plan brochure 5 times children ages 3-9 must eat off the children's menu, it also says at the bottom it is not transferrable. I have just called disney dining and spoke to a supervisor. The above is what she quoted me from the brochure. If you get caught and it is hard to get all the CM's to fall in line with the process, because they are counting on a tip, your dining plan will be revoked! Spoke with Sylvia.

Sorry but I regard what Disney has posted on their website and in the dining brochure as official policy. I regard the email response you received as being meaningless.

Sammie said:
I reconcile it by that fact that not everyone is ever going to follow policy. One of the problems at Disney is there are 55,000 employees. Many don't know and some don't care.

At Disney you have official policy and regardless of what some will argue I believe the email I got stated official policy.

Joyce Kingkade said:
You go Sammie girl! I read on the dining plan brochure 5 times children ages 3-9 must eat off the children's menu, it also says at the bottom it is not transferrable. I have just called disney dining and spoke to a supervisor. The above is what she quoted me from the brochure. If you get caught and it is hard to get all the CM's to fall in line with the process, because they are counting on a tip, your dining plan will be revoked! Spoke with Sylvia.

Yes folks, this is true. We were at Disney two weeks ago and tried to pool our credits in order to enjoy a night at CG. It was all fun and games until deputys Goofy and Pluto showed up at CG and took us all away, my three year old in little baby handcuffs. Our DDP was revoked and we were all thrown into DDPP, Disney Dining Plan Prison. The next day we appeared in Mickey Mouse Court to face charges of DDPA, Disney Dining Plan Abuse. We were sentenced to two days continual riding of Small World. Our mug shots are now posted on Main Street and we may never return to Disney again. :rotfl2:

Lewisc said:
Sorry but I regard what Disney has posted on their website and in the dining brochure as official policy. I regard the email response you received as being meaningless.

Well at least we agree on something, you find what I posted meaningless and I find what you post meaningless.

Plus regardless of what anyone wants to believe no where on the brochure or on the website does it say you can do this, it simply does not say you can't.

If one can truly pool the credits and there is no distinction between adult and child except when you purchase the plan. Then after that they are simply credits to purchase whatever one wishes, I should be able to take 4 adults to dinner on the plan that I paid for 2 adults and 2 children. For taking 4 adults on one night to LeCellier, is no difference in taking 2 adults on 2 nights.

Returned from Disney last week and here is some facts from our trip and some thoughts. Four of us on DDP, DW, DD, DN, and myself. First TS was Le Cellier. No apps on kids menu, both were provided apps from regular menu. Second TS was CG. As I was telling the waitress that we were on DDP, she looked at me and said, " two with credits and two on a separate check." Before I could even say it she offered me the chance, which I accepted, to pay OOP. Then they proceeded to not even put the mac and cheese on the bill. When I questioned our waitress I was told not to worry about it we just put your drinks on the check. Third TS was Spoodels. Waiter gave me the choose to all use the plan or pay OOP before I even mentioned it. Spoodels has a great kids menu so we decided to use the plan for all. When I ordered my steak I was asked if I'd like an add on. When I questioned if this was part off DDP I was told "sure." I ordered the scallops and was then told, "don't you want the shrimp too." At not one remaining TS did we have trouble paying OOP if that was what we choose to do.

I have no written documentation or video evidence of all this, but what I'm trying to say is that DDP is meant to be flexible and generous. No, Disney is never going to come out with a brochure or a TV commercial stating to pool credits or to look for add ons or specialty drinks at certain restaurants. Just as your hotel confirmation will never tell you to look for an upgrade. Contrary to what people here think, Disney is a business that is having trouble getting people to stay on site and eat in their restaurants. This is the purpose that the plan serves. There are many more accomodations outside than inside Disney. Better and cheaper restaurants exists just off Disney property. Believe it or not Disney CM's are actively encouraging using DDP to it's fullest. Yes they have 55,000 associates, but I would have to think by now some disciplinary action would have been taken it what they were doing was wrong. Word would then spread very fast among the CM's.

Joyce Kingkade said:

OK Joyce. Just take a moment to think about what the supervisor told you and decided if they were pulling your leg or not. I mean what are you going to get caught at and how are they going to pull your dinning plan?

Is it when you ask to pay OOP for the kids do they suddenly flag you and remove all your dinning plan credits that you paid for? (I would love to see how the legally justify that).

Or are they doing random audits like the IRS and if they see you paid for too many adult meals they revoke your credits or bill you the difference? Do you really see Disney doing any of the above?

When a supervisor tells you something that is that far out of line with what reality is you have to wonder if they are just making it up as they go or pulling your leg.

While it appears that you would take great satisfaction in someone having their DDP credits revoked for the use of the plan in this manner you shouldn't hold your breath. Even if this was against the rules, and it isn't, do you really think Disney would do this?

This is like Sammie's e-mail response. There it mentions child and adult credits which don't exist at all in any of the terminology at Disney. They only exist in the heads of people that don't understand the dinning plan. That causes you to wonder about anything else they say regarding the plan.

bstnsprts said:
We were sentenced to two days continual riding of Small World. Our mug shots are now posted on Main Street and we may never return to Disney again. :rotfl2:

Isn't that considered cruel and unusual punishment? :thumbsup2

Sammie said:
Well at least we agree on something, you find what I posted meaningless and I find what you post meaningless.

Plus regardless of what anyone wants to believe no where on the brochure or on the website does it say you can do this, it simply does not say you can't.

If one can truly pool the credits and there is no distinction between adult and child except when you purchase the plan. Then after that they are simply credits to purchase whatever one wishes, I should be able to take 4 adults to dinner on the plan that I paid for 2 adults and 2 children. For taking 4 adults on one night to LeCellier, is no difference in taking 2 adults on 2 nights.

Regardless if you like it or not credits are pooled. This is stated in the brochure and it is the way they are tracked in the central computer. The are not on seperate cards, not tracted individually or by who uses them. They are just pooled together and that is where the credits are consumed from. That is an undisputable fact. The brochure says that they are also non transferable. So I would take that to mean that credits are pooled for use by anyone on the reservation but are not meant to be transfered to people outside the reservation.

Of course another interpretation is that credits are pooled for use by anyone on the reservation and non transferable could mean that you can't transfer credits to someone elses account but you could use the credits yourself to buy them dinner. Under this situation you are not transfering the credits. You are purchasing 4 dinners as LeCellier and giving them to whoever you want. People post all the time about doing this with CS meals and snacks. I don't think TS meals would be treated any differently. Or do you have a problem with people buying CS meals or snacks and giving them to people not on the dinning plan?

Most people would agree with that statement.

The plan says it's not transferrable and I would say Disney has a right, which they currently aren't enforcing, to restrict use of your dining credits to people in your family. Four adults in one meal would imply that you're treating two adults not on the plan.

Peddler--Although not enforced I could understand Disney having a problem with guests giving away food to people not on the plan. The plan is priced assuming some credits aren't going to be used, that some credits will be used at less expensive restaurants and even at less expensive meals (breakfast for example). Disney set up the dining plan to provide a cruise like experience for their guests and we agree you can't treat non-cruise passengers to the meals you skip.

Sammie said:

18 pages of rationalizations, and still not one response that has in any way changed my opinion. This thread either needs some new life, or needs to die.

mickman1962 said:
18 pages of rationalizations, and still not one response that has in any way changed my opinion. This thread either needs some new life, or needs to die.

I am not sure that any response, short of a notorized letter for Igor, would change your opinion. ;)

Lewisc said:
Peddler--Although not enforced I could understand Disney having a problem with guests giving away food to people not on the plan. The plan is priced assuming some credits aren't going to be used, that some credits will be used at less expensive restaurants and even at less expensive meals (breakfast for example). Disney set up the dining plan to provide a cruise like experience for their guests and we agree you can't treat non-cruise passengers to the meals you skip.

Good point. I could see why Disney would not want you buying food for others.

mickman1962 said:

I don't expect to change your opinion, I just want to prevent other posters from confusing your opinion with Disney's posted rules.

bstnsprts said:
Contrary to what people here think, Disney is a business that is having trouble getting people to stay on site and eat in their restaurants. This is the purpose that the plan serves. There are many more accomodations outside than inside Disney. Better and cheaper restaurants exists just off Disney property. Believe it or not Disney CM's are actively encouraging using DDP to it's fullest. Yes they have 55,000 associates, but I would have to think by now some disciplinary action would have been taken it what they were doing was wrong. Word would then spread very fast among the CM's.

Exactly right! I know that every restaurant knows which CM is serving the meal, and which card the credit is removed from. It would be very easy to trace the CM's who are "driving up the bill to ensure a greater tip" and disapline those who do. This does not seem to be happening.

I do not understand the difference between a free upgrade that people refer to as pixie dust, and a cm suggesting that a guest pay OOP in order to better enjoy their plan. Did the guest who accepted the upgrade without paying the difference steal from the mouse? There are many who post looking for tips to upgreade and no one accuses them of trying to beat the system. No. We see how the upgrade enhanced the stay and that the guest will continue to stay onsite in the future. I think the DP is a little hazy in order to allow CM's to give a little pixie dust to guests, adn then hopefully ensure a future onsite guest.

This is my opinion, and I don't really care what others do. I find that if I tried to get more bang for my buck, the vacation would be work. I did enjoy that the CM at CG applied all of our TS to the bill and charged OOP for the child. We spent more and will continue to spend what we budgeted regardless how the plan is enforced.

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone. It was not my intention to offend, I only forwarded information Disney gave me. It is Disney's job to train and maintain employees to follow their policies. Until that happens, everyone enjoy your dining plan!

I'm going during the dining plan promotion in August. I only booked enough sit-downs for the number of TS that we have available. My daughter rarely eats more than a couple of bites at the sit-downs (or falls asleep), so I'll probably pay cash with my dining experience card discount for her meals. I'll let my pre-teen son "pig-out" and eat at a couple of more buffets or whatever. We'll still have a few TS left over. It's plenty of food for us. This is a trip that we wouldn't have booked without the dining plan promotion. Not that we need a hugh incentive to go back to WDW again and again! We'll be back for a short visit end of Oct for MNSHHP & FW festival.

My daughter and I will be in Orlando for half of June& July. We'll be on Disney property for most of our stay. I'll be adding on the meal plan for a 9N segment, but that's all. It's just convenient for me to have a prepaid plan. I still use my DDE card for other sitdowns, but I like having the CS too. We're able to share a CS and buy an additional drink or side.

Joyce Kingkade said:
Please forgive me if I have offended anyone. It was not my intention to offend, I only forwarded information Disney gave me. It is Disney's job to train and maintain employees to follow their policies. Until that happens, everyone enjoy your dining plan!

Actually Disney has to start by changing the posted terms of the plan which make no distinction between adult and child credits and which aggregate credits among family members.

Either create child and adult credits or stop the pooling and guests won't be able to continue paying child prices but using the credits for adult meals.

Your post was funny, revoking a guests dining plan for using it as designed by Disney.

The brochure says that they are also non transferable. So I would take that to mean that credits are pooled for use by anyone on the reservation but are not meant to be transfered to people outside the reservation

But see here in lies the problem, you interrupt non transferable to mean outside the immediate family. I can interrupt it to mean I can not pay for a child and transfer that meal into an adult meal for me. For truly it does not state either way.

Disney set up the dining plan to provide a cruise like experience for their guests and we agree you can't treat non-cruise passengers to the meals you skip.

And where did you get this rationalization? I have seen nothing in print to support that this is what Disney had in mind. And I think it would be very hard to treat a non-cruise passenger to a cruise meal. ;)

Hey look my 1000th post is about the dining plan, how appropriate, as some of you may think the other 999 posts have been about the plan as well. Sammie, in the end we will be proven correct, and then we can enjoy all the threads complaining about the "new dining plan".

Sammie said:

But see here in lies the problem, you interrupt non transferable to mean outside the immediate family. I can interrupt it to mean I can not pay for a child and transfer that meal into an adult meal for me. For truly it does not state either way.

Good point. The brochure says all credits are pooled so I would assume that they mean they are grouped together and that they can't be transferred out of that group. Of course as with other things is isn't explicitly defined. (Hmm.. next time Disney creates a brochure they should include a few pages of contractual information as well to clarify every possible permutation. Maybe 10 double sided single spaced pages with 6 point type. pirate: ))

As it could be taken either way the best way to evaluate what they mean is to see how it actually works. So far the overwhelming evidence is that at the very least credits are pooled and may be used by anyone on the reservation is any order they like. As far as buying dinner for other people not on the reservation I haven't seen much in the way of postings about this with regards to TS credits so I am not sure what the intent is there.

So far, with the notable exception of your one e-mail, and based on the other response a person got about terminating the plan for using the child / adult credit thing causes me to really wonder if the people manning the phones or e-mail have any idea what they are talking about, there has been no evidence what so ever to support yours or Mickman's perception of child / adult credits. On the other side there is a mountain of evidence to support the use of pooled credits.

As mickman as said time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter