Debt Dumpers - 2014

Hey all....

I'm back. I think I caused quite the stir this winter/spring when our TV went to crap and we bought the 60" 3D TV. (On a zero interest deal though). Got to say, that TV is lovely, LOL.

Once upon a time we used to use our CC's to pay for everything all month long and then pay them off. But then issues or expenses came up. And slowly that "paying off" has grown to the about $20k in debt we have today.

I've been playing the "let's move our biggest debts onto zero interest credit cards" game. And it has been helping. (FTR, I've kept dibs on our credit score, it's still very high and even going up the last few months). I know this is frowned upon, but when your interest alone on credit cards is $300+ in some cases, well every little bit helps.

We've stopped using our CC's. Not adding any new debt and are only using our debit cards now for all our expenses. Which is helping too. The mountain isn't getting any higher.

I'm about to change jobs. Sadly in education (even after 16 years as a teacher) movement between districts means a paycut. I'm going to lose about $10k. We're already barely scrapping by. So I know we're going to need to tighten purse strings. I have been so unhappy it's actually made me sick (I suffered from anxiety and depression). I took 2 leaves of absences. So the chance at a new beginning is worth every penny I have to cut and save.

I know our number one budget buster is eating out. But I'm struggling with how to make it work for our family. I'm done with school at 3pm. I won't be home till 4pm most days. Once I get my kids, I'm shuttling them off and around to activities (tutoring, soccer, hockey and dance) until 8:30pm every nights. So I'm really trying to figure out a way to not have to grab something while we drive from A to B. But at the same time, some days that is our only option. The kids literally go from after-care at school to their events.

I guess I'm looking for those easy busy mom/busy family budget saving ideas (which might just be food for us). And any "easy" budget tips you've got too. I say "easy" because with the school year starting, and now moving to a new school next week, and all the afterschool activities, I can't make HUGE changes with our lifestyle/budget.

Overall, this year I've made a huge effort to use coupons (saving $40+ on grocery and target trips each time). Not buy frivolously. I've really stepped back on what I'm buying for my kids (clothes, toys, etc. Their sports alone can kill us, LOL). I had a garage sale this summer. I'm getting ready for a kids consignment sale. I'm listing things here and there on eBay, etc.

TIA for any help or suggestions.

Hey all.... I'm back. I think I caused quite the stir this winter/spring when our TV went to crap and we bought the 60" 3D TV. (On a zero interest deal though). Got to say, that TV is lovely, LOL. Once upon a time we used to use our CC's to pay for everything all month long and then pay them off. But then issues or expenses came up. And slowly that "paying off" has grown to the about $20k in debt we have today. I've been playing the "let's move our biggest debts onto zero interest credit cards" game. And it has been helping. (FTR, I've kept dibs on our credit score, it's still very high and even going up the last few months). I know this is frowned upon, but when your interest alone on credit cards is $300+ in some cases, well every little bit helps. We've stopped using our CC's. Not adding any new debt and are only using our debit cards now for all our expenses. Which is helping too. The mountain isn't getting any higher. I'm about to change jobs. Sadly in education (even after 16 years as a teacher) movement between districts means a paycut. I'm going to lose about $10k. We're already barely scrapping by. So I know we're going to need to tighten purse strings. I have been so unhappy it's actually made me sick (I suffered from anxiety and depression). I took 2 leaves of absences. So the chance at a new beginning is worth every penny I have to cut and save. I know our number one budget buster is eating out. But I'm struggling with how to make it work for our family. I'm done with school at 3pm. I won't be home till 4pm most days. Once I get my kids, I'm shuttling them off and around to activities (tutoring, soccer, hockey and dance) until 8:30pm every nights. So I'm really trying to figure out a way to not have to grab something while we drive from A to B. But at the same time, some days that is our only option. The kids literally go from after-care at school to their events. I guess I'm looking for those easy busy mom/busy family budget saving ideas (which might just be food for us). And any "easy" budget tips you've got too. I say "easy" because with the school year starting, and now moving to a new school next week, and all the afterschool activities, I can't make HUGE changes with our lifestyle/budget. Overall, this year I've made a huge effort to use coupons (saving $40+ on grocery and target trips each time). Not buy frivolously. I've really stepped back on what I'm buying for my kids (clothes, toys, etc. Their sports alone can kill us, LOL). I had a garage sale this summer. I'm getting ready for a kids consignment sale. I'm listing things here and there on eBay, etc. TIA for any help or suggestions.
I cook and freeze on the weekends for those crazy nights. Homemade individual size pizzas, French toast,chili, etc. Doesn't help those days when your kids are always on the run but maybe you can just pack sandwiches for those days.

Hey all....

I'm back. I think I caused quite the stir this winter/spring when our TV went to crap and we bought the 60" 3D TV. (On a zero interest deal though). Got to say, that TV is lovely, LOL.

Once upon a time we used to use our CC's to pay for everything all month long and then pay them off. But then issues or expenses came up. And slowly that "paying off" has grown to the about $20k in debt we have today.

I've been playing the "let's move our biggest debts onto zero interest credit cards" game. And it has been helping. (FTR, I've kept dibs on our credit score, it's still very high and even going up the last few months). I know this is frowned upon, but when your interest alone on credit cards is $300+ in some cases, well every little bit helps.

We've stopped using our CC's. Not adding any new debt and are only using our debit cards now for all our expenses. Which is helping too. The mountain isn't getting any higher.

I'm about to change jobs. Sadly in education (even after 16 years as a teacher) movement between districts means a paycut. I'm going to lose about $10k. We're already barely scrapping by. So I know we're going to need to tighten purse strings. I have been so unhappy it's actually made me sick (I suffered from anxiety and depression). I took 2 leaves of absences. So the chance at a new beginning is worth every penny I have to cut and save.

I know our number one budget buster is eating out. But I'm struggling with how to make it work for our family. I'm done with school at 3pm. I won't be home till 4pm most days. Once I get my kids, I'm shuttling them off and around to activities (tutoring, soccer, hockey and dance) until 8:30pm every nights. So I'm really trying to figure out a way to not have to grab something while we drive from A to B. But at the same time, some days that is our only option. The kids literally go from after-care at school to their events.

I guess I'm looking for those easy busy mom/busy family budget saving ideas (which might just be food for us). And any "easy" budget tips you've got too. I say "easy" because with the school year starting, and now moving to a new school next week, and all the afterschool activities, I can't make HUGE changes with our lifestyle/budget.

Overall, this year I've made a huge effort to use coupons (saving $40+ on grocery and target trips each time). Not buy frivolously. I've really stepped back on what I'm buying for my kids (clothes, toys, etc. Their sports alone can kill us, LOL). I had a garage sale this summer. I'm getting ready for a kids consignment sale. I'm listing things here and there on eBay, etc.

I take it your kids get a snack at "after school daycare".
Good for you changing positions due to your health.

I know you may not like this, but to save money, you need to plan ahead and make meals on the weekend and freeze. The time you take going to a restaurant and eating out, or picking up food, it almost equals out to getting home, getting showers, homework done and while the kids are doing this, you get your frozen meal out and heat it up. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but you can throw in lasagna in the oven and it should be done in 45 minutes, you can even defrost it, since it is fully cooked and just needs to be heated and the cheese melted. Home made spaghetti sauce can be reheated in the micro-wave and boil noodles and salad and bread.

Chicken breast can be baked or grilled on Sunday. Cut up and throw in freezer bags. You can make Chicken Alfredo/broccoli with noodles, taco chicken or brown hamburger too and freeze.

I do not know if you are married, but could your dh start some of the meal preparation, so everyone can eat when you get home? My dh will cook if I have a plan and everything is there for him.

Good luck OP-I remember those days-

Hey all....

Like the other posters, I'm going to recommend weekend cooking and freezing. My situation is a bit different, as it is just me, but I have found that I am a lot less prone to stopping off for a burger if I know that I have food at home waiting for me. I'm also a big fan of my crockpot in the winter months. Coming home to the house smelling like a good chicken soup on cold blustery days ... :thumbsup2.

And with the crockpot, I have a whole folder of "easy ingredient recipes" - most of which are 5 ingredient or less. Easy to make, easy to freeze or refridgerate, easy to heat, and all the heavy dishwashing takes place on Sunday afternoon after the cooking is done. Rest of the week is just wash up my glad tubs and lids.

I'm back also.

Been an interesting spring/summer.

My Significant Other (SO ... short for SOB right about now) decided in May that he didn't like working, so quit his job. That set off a summer of me having to support him more so than normal. At least with his job he paid for his own gas and cigarettes. But this year, instead of using the income from my 3rd job to pay down bills and/or build my reserves it was spent covering the (bigger) lapse in what he cost.

Then in August, he finally got a replacement job, but it was only part-time and for less than what he was making per hour at his old job. He worked that for 2 weeks, and decided that he was tired of the town, so he quit and moved out - still owing me A LOT (somewhere in the neighborhood of $15,000) for utilities, mortgage, car insurance, food, etc.

Three days later, he calls and wants to come back. That he "made a mistake and it was all his fault."

I'm not entirely sure that I really want him back, but he left me in such a lurch that I can't say "no" IF he has any sort of job and helps with the bills. Which, he swears he will "this time". Which makes me mad because the implication is that he wasn't really trying before, just leaving it all to me.

I do know that whether or not he comes back, I will need to take in a housemate to help share bills. While I managed to pay off one of my CC's last spring, I wasn't able to not use it again this summer while having to pay his stuff, so while I actually have made some headway, it is not by much. Seems like I've gone 3 steps forward, 2 9/10 steps back. :worried:

Sorry to unload here, just needed to destress a bit. :(

I'm back also. Been an interesting spring/summer. My Significant Other (SO ... short for SOB right about now) decided in May that he didn't like working, so quit his job. That set off a summer of me having to support him more so than normal. At least with his job he paid for his own gas and cigarettes. But this year, instead of using the income from my 3rd job to pay down bills and/or build my reserves it was spent covering the (bigger) lapse in what he cost. Then in August, he finally got a replacement job, but it was only part-time and for less than what he was making per hour at his old job. He worked that for 2 weeks, and decided that he was tired of the town, so he quit and moved out - still owing me A LOT (somewhere in the neighborhood of $15,000) for utilities, mortgage, car insurance, food, etc. Three days later, he calls and wants to come back. That he "made a mistake and it was all his fault." I'm not entirely sure that I really want him back, but he left me in such a lurch that I can't say "no" IF he has any sort of job and helps with the bills. Which, he swears he will "this time". Which makes me mad because the implication is that he wasn't really trying before, just leaving it all to me. I do know that whether or not he comes back, I will need to take in a housemate to help share bills. While I managed to pay off one of my CC's last spring, I wasn't able to not use it again this summer while having to pay his stuff, so while I actually have made some headway, it is not by much. Seems like I've gone 3 steps forward, 2 9/10 steps back. :worried: Sorry to unload here, just needed to destress a bit. :(

Don't take him back. You have a better chance of taking in a housemate that will pay their way off craigslist than him changing. It's totally up to you but if he doesn't have a job now that he's out in the real world he's not going to get one when you are gonna pay all the bills.

In tired of working too. I was in tears this morning because of my job. I'm still here, though I have no desire to be. My reasons for staying? I have a kid to feed and bills to pay. I've had moments today where I plotted out how to force my kids father to take care of him so I could empty out my 401k and move somewhere tropical alone...far away and alone. I had my moment and moved on, that's called being a grown up.

I've been through what you are going through, my ex-husband ran up my bills to $11k, kept the house and didn't pay for it which left me and additional $117k in debt, and he kept the furniture, the paid off car, and all the "stuff" while I had to start over and eventually claim bankruptcy. Consider the money he "owes you" a gift cuz he doesn't think he owes it. I have never seen a dime from my ex, the only time he helped at all was when I passed a kidney stone and couldn't make it to the store for cranberry juice to help prevent an infection. And believe me I heard about how unhealthy and useless I am.

I do wish you luck. It sounds like an awful situation and I hope everything works out for the best. We are here if you need help and encouragement. You keep moving forward and don't let ANYONE drag you backwards, when YOU make a mistake it's OK because YOU can learn from it.

I'm back also.

My Significant Other (SO ... short for SOB right about now) decided in May that he didn't like working, so quit his job. That set off a summer of me having to support him more so than normal. At least with his job he paid for his own gas and cigarettes. But this year, instead of using the income from my 3rd job to pay down bills and/or build my reserves it was spent covering the (bigger) lapse in what he cost.

Then in August, he finally got a replacement job, but it was only part-time and for less than what he was making per hour at his old job. He worked that for 2 weeks, and decided that he was tired of the town, so he quit and moved out - still owing me A LOT (somewhere in the neighborhood of $15,000) for utilities, mortgage, car insurance, food, etc.

Three days later, he calls and wants to come back. That he "made a mistake and it was all his fault."

I'm not entirely sure that I really want him back, but he left me in such a lurch that I can't say "no" IF he has any sort of job and helps with the bills. Which, he swears he will "this time". Which makes me mad because the implication is that he wasn't really trying before, just leaving it all to me.

I do know that whether or not he comes back, I will need to take in a housemate to help share bills. While I managed to pay off one of my CC's last spring, I wasn't able to not use it again this summer while having to pay his stuff, so while I actually have made some headway, it is not by much. Seems like I've gone 3 steps forward, 2 9/10 steps back. :worried:

I'm sorry you're going through all of this. :grouphug:
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't let him move in until he has paid back a good part of what he owes you. What's to stop him from dragging you down further?
Do you honestly feel in your heart he is good for you? It's already a staggering amount and he might only sponge more off of you. There's no equality in your relationship (based on what you say). You're working 3 jobs and he is working 0? That shows very little respect for you imho. You're not on the same page and working together toward common goals.
Either way you will be struggling & working 3 jobs but I'd rather be struggling, single & keep my self respect than have a man freeloading while I work like a dog.
Again jmho. I'm not trying to be mean or hurtful but I think you deserve better.

I'm back also.

Heck no you should not let him move back. Look at it this way - I'm pretty sure he has made these promises to you before - I will work and help pay, etc. And he hasn't. Your bills will probably actually decrease now that he has left - he won't be sitting there watching your tv, running up the electricity, eating your food, etc. You just need to plug away at your bills, and not have the stress of having to pay for another person. Maybe run an ad for a room mate and get someone else. As the other posters said, it is your decision in the end but I would not be taking him back. He has mooched off of you enough

Ok so it seems not only did Murphy come to visit, he ran us over, backed up, and ran us over again. I think he's sitting there laughing with delight, waiting to run us over again. :sad:

Back in Jan my car battery died. It wasn't that old, 2-3 years, but it was from AAA and we were told their batteries are not so great. Fine.

Then earlier this summer, I got a nail in my fairly new tires (1.5 yrs old but only around 5k miles on them.) It was in an area that could not be repaired which I confirmed on the manufacturers website. Sucks but yeah, stuff happens.

Then our carpet steam cleaner died.
Then our vacuum cleaner died. Well, it was on life support and we had to pull the plug.
Then, last week our oven died.

This morning my car battery is dead again and the tender age of just 9 months. Still under warranty but they are swamped so I can't bring it in til Monday. So now I need to borrow my parent's spare car so I can still get to work. They are at the shore now and will bring it home Monday. I could rent a car Sunday for $43 but they close early Sundays so by the time I get done work Monday, I'd be paying for 2 days cuz I'd be beyond the 24 hr mark. Either way, I need to drop it off Monday night for Tuesday repairs. This means Monday am, before dh leaves for work, he'll have to give me a jump and then come back later when I get done work to jump me again.

I could probably just go to Pep Boys today but I want the original place to honor their warranty. Why should I have to pay for another so soon? :mad: They insisted before that it's not something with my car that keeps draining the battery so we will see if they still agree with that.

Just now, our dishwasher is dead. I checked to see if dh tripped the breaker but no. It's just dead.

Here's the part where I drop to my knees and beg for mercy. :sad2: :worship:

Ok so it seems not only did Murphy come to visit, he ran us over, backed up, and ran us over again. I think he's sitting there laughing with delight, waiting to run us over again. :sad:

Back in Jan my car battery died. It wasn't that old, 2-3 years, but it was from AAA and we were told their batteries are not so great. Fine.

Then earlier this summer, I got a nail in my fairly new tires (1.5 yrs old but only around 5k miles on them.) It was in an area that could not be repaired which I confirmed on the manufacturers website. Sucks but yeah, stuff happens.

Then our carpet steam cleaner died.
Then our vacuum cleaner died. Well, it was on life support and we had to pull the plug.
Then, last week our oven died.

This morning my car battery is dead again and the tender age of just 9 months. Still under warranty but they are swamped so I can't bring it in til Monday. So now I need to borrow my parent's spare car so I can still get to work. They are at the shore now and will bring it home Monday. I could rent a car Sunday for $43 but they close early Sundays so by the time I get done work Monday, I'd be paying for 2 days cuz I'd be beyond the 24 hr mark. Either way, I need to drop it off Monday night for Tuesday repairs. This means Monday am, before dh leaves for work, he'll have to give me a jump and then come back later when I get done work to jump me again.

I could probably just go to Pep Boys today but I want the original place to honor their warranty. Why should I have to pay for another so soon? :mad: They insisted before that it's not something with my car that keeps draining the battery so we will see if they still agree with that.

Just now, our dishwasher is dead. I checked to see if dh tripped the breaker but no. It's just dead.

Here's the part where I drop to my knees and beg for mercy. :sad2: :worship:

I thought I was the only one with Murphy rolling over me!!! My car is sucking me dry, that is for sure. I had the alternator put on, new tires, and an alignment probably about 6 weeks ago. Now the ball joints on the rear are bad, and because of the kind of car it needs the new control arms too, which run around $550 (the parts are expensive too). Then back in May I had bought a new washer and dryer because my washer blew up. Last month had the tech out because the cold water doesn't work very well. The tech said it wasn't their problem and I needed a plumber for the shut off valves. Plumber came yesterday and guess what.... it was the steel braided hose that Lowes had installed on the new washer. Now I have to go through all these claim companies to try to get my money back for the plumber. It seems to be never ending. So I guess this month I will be putting another $550 in my car, and fighting to get reimbursed for the plumbers bill.
Oh, and this isn't counting the new roof that I need on the outdoor shed ($950) because the shingles have messed up, and I found a shingle had come off the roof of my house so I need to get that put back on and have an inspection just to make sure there are no problems with anymore shingles.
Is this ever going to stop???? It is draining me and my money:sad2:
So trust me when I say I feel for ya :hug:

I thought I was the only one with Murphy rolling over me!!! My car is sucking me dry, that is for sure. I had the alternator put on, new tires, and an alignment probably about 6 weeks ago. Now the ball joints on the rear are bad, and because of the kind of car it needs the new control arms too, which run around $550 (the parts are expensive too). Then back in May I had bought a new washer and dryer because my washer blew up. Last month had the tech out because the cold water doesn't work very well. The tech said it wasn't their problem and I needed a plumber for the shut off valves. Plumber came yesterday and guess what.... it was the steel braided hose that Lowes had installed on the new washer. Now I have to go through all these claim companies to try to get my money back for the plumber. It seems to be never ending. So I guess this month I will be putting another $550 in my car, and fighting to get reimbursed for the plumbers bill.
Oh, and this isn't counting the new roof that I need on the outdoor shed ($950) because the shingles have messed up, and I found a shingle had come off the roof of my house so I need to get that put back on and have an inspection just to make sure there are no problems with anymore shingles.
Is this ever going to stop???? It is draining me and my money:sad2:
So trust me when I say I feel for ya :hug:

Thanks for the hug! Right back at you. :hug:
I think it ends when we're 6' under. :rotfl:
Just have to keep chugging along and do the best we can.

Thanks for the hug! Right back at you. :hug:
I think it ends when we're 6' under. :rotfl:
Just have to keep chugging along and do the best we can.

LOL!! You are right about the 6' under! Like you, I am chugging along! The good news is that my dad thinks he can put the part on my car saving me about $150! So he will be getting a very nice dinner out or a gift card!!

Today's the day!!! I am finally 100 % absolutely debt free! I DUMPED THE DEBT THIS YEAR!!! Now onto my next challenge: saving and buying a house in 2015!

Today's the day!!! I am finally 100 % absolutely debt free! I DUMPED THE DEBT THIS YEAR!!! Now onto my next challenge: saving and buying a house in 2015!

:cool1: :banana: :dance3:
Congratulations!!

Save a ton for the house cuz that's a never-ending money pit. :headache: ::yes::
(Not to rain on your parade but just so you save way beyond just the down payment.)

Still very exciting time for you!! :hug:

:cool1: :banana: :dance3:
Congratulations!!

Save a ton for the house cuz that's a never-ending money pit. :headache: ::yes::
(Not to rain on your parade but just so you save way beyond just the down payment.)

Still very exciting time for you!! :hug:

LOL!! I was just thinking the same thing!!

xCourxCorex - CONGRATS!!!! Isn't it the greatest feeling not having any debt? Just be prepared for Murphy to hit every now and then (however I think he is stuck at my house and at ruadisneyfan2's house :lmao: )

Paid off the lowes card and the apple card yesterday and put $1000 on tuition. I hope to get that paid off before Christmas. Next up is another credit card. DH is over his line of work and wants to do something else. I told him that we need to focus all of our efforts on dumping the debt then.

I also told the kids I'm only using the 52 week challenge money for Christmas presents. They don't need a lot.
I also have a few Amazon gift cards and target gift cards from purchases that I'm going to use as well.

Paid off the lowes card and the apple card yesterday and put $1000 on tuition. I hope to get that paid off before Christmas. Next up is another credit card. DH is over his line of work and wants to do something else. I told him that we need to focus all of our efforts on dumping the debt then.

I also told the kids I'm only using the 52 week challenge money for Christmas presents. They don't need a lot.
I also have a few Amazon gift cards and target gift cards from purchases that I'm going to use as well.

Congratulations!!!:cool1: I still have hopes and dreams of getting all my cc bills paid off. I think if I quit buying food, I'll get there a lot faster. :lmao:

Good idea on planning the Christmas budget. I'm prone to WAAAAAAY overspending when I see good gifts. I think this year, people are going to get a heartfelt, handmade "I'm glad you know me, I love you" card. ;)

Congratulations!!!:cool1: I still have hopes and dreams of getting all my cc bills paid off. I think if I quit buying food, I'll get there a lot faster. :lmao:

Good idea on planning the Christmas budget. I'm prone to WAAAAAAY overspending when I see good gifts. I think this year, people are going to get a heartfelt, handmade "I'm glad you know me, I love you" card. ;)

Don't be afraid to do this. Seriously.

A few years ago my sister had breast cancer. After the chemo, surgery/reconstruction, complications, and still trying to work when she could she was exhausted. She told all of us in advance she was baking cookies for everyone instead of shopping for gifts.
She's very into home made food (even makes her own whipped cream instead of the usual press-on-the-nozzle kind, lol) so I knew they'd be yummy. Well, she outdid herself. She made all these different shapes: Santa, reindeer, Christmas trees, etc and did an awesome job decorating them with different color frosting including blue eyes for Santa and a red nose for Rudolph. She had a professional cake decorating kit and has a lot of artistic talent so that helps. Each family got a tin full of cookies and we enjoyed it as much as any store bought gift. Now every year we look forward to her cookies. :cool1:
As for me, I still draw stick people so I give store-bought gifts. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter