Debt Dumpers - 2014

Good-ish news!! S.O. most likely has a job!! He got called in yesterday for an interview, and then sent for a drug test. Just waiting on the results. It's not a great job, but it is, finally, income!! :cool1:

At least S.O. will be able to pay on the bills, and potentially keep looking for a better job or a supplemental job.:goodvibes

Although, there are moments when I'm thinking I really should have cashed in on the life insurance policy. That would have solved so many other problems as well. :rolleyes1 :duck:

I knocked out ONE of my payment plan for something i had purchased today!! It feels good to get the ball rolling! I hope I can knock out my dental bill singing to the tune of 1700! Ouch! I snowballed it and doubled the payment!

Jumping in on this, let me know if I'm doing this wrong?

Here's me tossing my ring into clearing my debt for the year. It's not much, but for a 23-year-old with not much behind her, it's a bit. Currently I'm about $600 on my one (and only) CC, am paying off a vet bill through a debt collector and have about $550 on that, and currently my savings is about a whopping $300.

I made bad choices this year, all back-to-back, and the card pile fell at the wrong time. I paid for a Disney trip ($1232 renting DVC points, $268 for the plane ticket, park tix, you get the point) thinking things would be okay financially. Then my boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) of four years broke up with me. Why is that important? Well, we shared a cat together, and last year my ex's roommate abused my cat by breaking some of her ribs and puncturing one of her lungs. The bill? About $2,000. The ex left me with that bill, basically tossed his hands in the air and said it wasn't his problem, that he couldn't afford it, etc. (Even though he was able to afford video games and excessive take-out after we saw the bill, but another story for another day.) I couldn't pay the monthly bill with my small day job and small royalties from writing, so they sent it to collections, and now I'm on a smaller payment plan thank goodness, but I know my credit took a hit and it upsets me a lot.

Toss in the monthly cell phone bill ($107), food (I have Celiac's, so food bills that include GF stuff easily top a couple $$$ a month, it's awful) and things quickly became too tight too fast, so I fell a little deep into debt. My hope is that I can pay off the CC bill and vet bill by Christmas, while still having a little bit to get something for each person in my family for the holiday. And not starve myself in the process… haha.

Jumping in on this, let me know if I'm doing this wrong?

Here's me tossing my ring into clearing my debt for the year. It's not much, but for a 23-year-old with not much behind her, it's a bit. Currently I'm about $600 on my one (and only) CC, am paying off a vet bill through a debt collector and have about $550 on that, and currently my savings is about a whopping $300.

I made bad choices this year, all back-to-back, and the card pile fell at the wrong time. I paid for a Disney trip ($1232 renting DVC points, $268 for the plane ticket, park tix, you get the point) thinking things would be okay financially. Then my boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) of four years broke up with me. Why is that important? Well, we shared a cat together, and last year my ex's roommate abused my cat by breaking some of her ribs and puncturing one of her lungs. The bill? About $2,000. The ex left me with that bill, basically tossed his hands in the air and said it wasn't his problem, that he couldn't afford it, etc. (Even though he was able to afford video games and excessive take-out after we saw the bill, but another story for another day.) I couldn't pay the monthly bill with my small day job and small royalties from writing, so they sent it to collections, and now I'm on a smaller payment plan thank goodness, but I know my credit took a hit and it upsets me a lot.

Toss in the monthly cell phone bill ($107), food (I have Celiac's, so food bills that include GF stuff easily top a couple $$$ a month, it's awful) and things quickly became too tight too fast, so I fell a little deep into debt. My hope is that I can pay off the CC bill and vet bill by Christmas, while still having a little bit to get something for each person in my family for the holiday. And not starve myself in the process… haha.

Wow that's horrible! What a psycho to abuse a cat like that. Omg. :(
As for yor financial picture, are you locked into your cell phone by contract? If not, I'd shop around for a better deal. I know some people can give up cable and cell phones to pay down debt and I admit I'm not one of them. We all get attached to our techy gadgets but that sounds very expensive for just one phone. Our bill is $300/month but that's for 6 phones & 10G/month shared data and part of that is my parents' share. (We have 2 teens & their phones were a big part of their Christmas gift last year.). I'd shop around and see if you can do better.

Wow that's horrible! What a psycho to abuse a cat like that. Omg. :(
As for yor financial picture, are you locked into your cell phone by contract? If not, I'd shop around for a better deal. I know some people can give up cable and cell phones to pay down debt and I admit I'm not one of them. We all get attached to our techy gadgets but that sounds very expensive for just one phone. Our bill is $300/month but that's for 6 phones & 10G/month shared data and part of that is my parents' share. (We have 2 teens & their phones were a big part of their Christmas gift last year.). I'd shop around and see if you can do better.

Yeah, the cat situation was a nightmare, to say the least. But my little and lovable cat is doing fine now. Wouldn't trade her for the world.

I did speak to my parents about the phone. They both know I hate paying the ridiculous amount for my phone every month, but the good news is I can use it for tax write-offs for my work, which is nice when that comes around. We looked at the TMobile family plan, which comes out to around $200/month for 4 lines, and all new phones. My part of the bill will be about $70-80, which is still at minimum $20 cheaper than what I'm paying now. Should be switching shortly, phew.

To help shave off a little bit of excess spots (and help with food budget right now), I'm trying to work a little bit more on some freelance works, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed the new book I'm releasing on the 21st does well. Not a home-run, but well enough to see my current royalty checks double, triple if possible (so basically, I'd love to see a $200-360 check versus the $100-120 I've seen the last few months). The only thing I honestly can do right now is not get sick so I can ensure my paycheck at the day job, live more on veggies and fruits the next few weeks and hope it doesn't upset the balance of the gut too much, pray no one else gets sick in the house, and write like I'll never write again. It seems like nothing, and I feel some days like it IS nothing, but I know the more I work on it, the more it grows into something much bigger.

Verizon rant ahead....

So in September our local phone/internet provider raised our bill (our annual "thank you for being a great customer" gift) so we decided to switch to verizon which was our only other choice for phone/internet here. I was mostly upstairs with DS while he was here for all of like 5, minutes. He told DH that he would install one jack for free and that's exactly what he did. He was very rude and even slammed the door when he left, not sure what that was about. Of course being new customers it took a while to get our first bill and we knew it would be higher since it was basically for 2 months instead of 1, plus we bought the router. I about fell over when we got a bill for $320 though, I had calculated around $150. Turns out they charged us $140 for installation. I called the day I got the bill to dispute the charges and she told me someone from the installation dept would investigate and call me back within a few days. I realized today that it's been 2 weeks since I called, so I called back. Wow, it was the most unprofessional call back I've ever had. Turns out they hadn't started their 'investigation' so she kept me on the line (not on hold) while she apparently chatted with someone who was not responding. I asked a few times if she could just call me back (it was lunch time) and finally she agreed. Someone called us back around 5pm and said according to the technicians notes, he explained the charges and we agreed. We were not told of any charges and if we were aware of the expense of installation, we would've never done it in the first place. Paying $140 to save $10-15/month? Not worth it. The lady said someone would investigate further and call us back. The bill is due in 10 days so I don't really have time for them to wait over a week to call back (last time they didn't do the 'investigation' or call back) DH called back and talked to someone else (we asked for a supervisor) who again, going by the tech's note said the charges were valid. Eventually she agreed to knock $40 off the bill, but that still leaves us to pay $100 in installation fees. I wouldn't be fighting it, or even mad if we were told installation was not free or better yet we would've stayed with our old provider and skipped the installation fees all together.

I don't know what to do. I have no problem paying for the service, but I still don't think I should be charged $100 for installation. We didn't sign anything and nothing was explained to us. I did not give a credit card or social security number upon sign up. I have never not paid for anything in my life. I really just want to make a partial payment and cancel the service, but I don't know what is going to happen. Will they send me to collections? Definitely going back to our old service provider, while our bill went up on a regular basis they had great customer service and never charged us for anything, including times they had to come out when we were having issues.

Has anyone dealt with anything similar? How did you handle it?

Most companies have you sign the paperwork for installation, so that you can't later dispute the charges. I would call back, talk to a manager and ask. Basically lay out the fact that you say you were not informed and the installer says that you were. Since no paperwork can be provided to provide proof the charge should fall off. It would if this were to go to court and I take it there.
While on the phone you can let them know that do to this unprofessional behavior you are cancelling right now and will not pay. If the send it to collections you will ask the company for a hearing, which they do all the time. Watch how fast this bill drops and if it doesn't? Wait for collections to get it and dispute.

Well, down to 4 loan payments @ $135 a month. Emptied out most of my savings to put towards ds's first college payment. Opened 2 new charge cards (for the specials and coupons) both are paid off already. But then...dh said he would pay for a new kitchen floor, and guess who's name the floor will be in ? Mine. But at least it's 36 months no interest. And we REALLLLLY need a new kitchen floor.
So I'm about 50/50 I guess.

With Verizon I've found if you do a customer service chat online, you get better results. You might want to try that.

Most companies have you sign the paperwork for installation, so that you can't later dispute the charges. I would call back, talk to a manager and ask. Basically lay out the fact that you say you were not informed and the installer says that you were. Since no paperwork can be provided to provide proof the charge should fall off. It would if this were to go to court and I take it there.
While on the phone you can let them know that do to this unprofessional behavior you are cancelling right now and will not pay. If the send it to collections you will ask the company for a hearing, which they do all the time. Watch how fast this bill drops and if it doesn't? Wait for collections to get it and dispute.

We didn't sign anything. DH just spent a half hour on the phone with a supervisor who was not helpful at all. Nobody we have talked to is even listening to us it's so frustrating. He said there was nobody above him to talk to, they were administrators and they don't take calls or do anything with customer service. He said it was IMPOSSIBLE to remove the $91 charge. I emailed and got the 'the charges are valid' speal from whoever replied last week. I have no clue what to do. I am so mad. We're going to be buying a new house next year and I do not want to ruin my credit over stupid Verizon.

We already called to get another internet phone provider but they can't come until 11/21.

I don't know what to do now. Verizon is not budging. What's the next step?

With Verizon I've found if you do a customer service chat online, you get better results. You might want to try that.

I can't find how to do that online?

I found this to be true with ATT and Orbitz as well. :thumbsup2

I agree, I had good luck with ATT on the chat.

Personally, I wouldn't ruin my credit over it. I would just pay the bill then cancel them as soon as possible.
When they ask why you want to cancel, explain, and don't cave in.

I can hold a grudge against a company for a really long time. I still won't buy Exxon gas because of their drunk captain that crashed and caused the huge oil spill in Alaska. It's been around 20 years. When Exxon merged with Mobil I cancelled my Mobil card and told them why.
Then I added BP to the dog house for their awful handling of the oil leak in the Gulf and their greed that caused it. I'm sad for the environmental damage but even worse a worker died in the accident and his family will never be the same. And what can BP say then, "We're sorry"??? Arrrgh!:furious:

Ok, rant over. :goodvibes :laughing:

Personally, I wouldn't ruin my credit over it. I would just pay the bill then cancel them as soon as possible.
When they ask why you want to cancel, explain, and don't cave in.

I can hold a grudge against a company for a really long time. I still won't buy Exxon gas because of their drunk captain that crashed and caused the huge oil spill in Alaska. It's been around 20 years. When Exxon merged with Mobil I cancelled my Mobil card and told them why.
Then I added BP to the dog house for their awful handling of the oil leak in the Gulf and their greed that caused it. I'm sad for the environmental damage but even worse a worker died in the accident and his family will never be the same. And what can BP say then, "We're sorry"??? Arrrgh!:furious:

Ok, rant over. :goodvibes :laughing:

I can hold a grudge for a really long time too. What's funny is the bill is due today (11/16) the day isn't even over yet and I've already got an email telling me if I don't make a payment our services will be suspended. I think that is awfully soon. DH thinks it's because we've called so many times and complained. I figured there would be some sort of grace period for a late payment but geez!

DH talked to his dad today and apparently he switched to them and they did the same thing. He didn't pay it, and it went to collections. He got a call one day from collections and they asked if he wanted to settle it for $56 so it did. It just doesn't make sense to me why Verizon wouldn't knock $91 off the bill and have me pay the bill in full and settle it. If it goes to collections, they won't get the full amount because the collection company will take a cut. If FIL only had to pay $56 to the collections company, how much could verizon have gotten for a bill (if its like ours) is over $200?! $25-30? Doesn't seem worth it. Verizon is so stubborn.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I have never not paid something on time or early but I'm going to wait at least a few days because I'm mad. I hate that they are going to win. I'm not willing to ruin my credit over it and It's not going to be worth any money or effort to fight it. The sad thing is we would've stayed with them for many years and paid them a lot of money. My parents were going to switch to them too if we liked it. Their loss. I will NEVER use them again for anything. I hate the verizon ads that keep popping up on my phone (I think its swagbucks, and on matching with friends lol)

We have just 2 payments left with our orthodontist. I can't wait! :cool1:
Both kids went into braces on the same day (oldest didn't need them until he got a bit older, 15ish). One at a time wouldn't be so bad but 2 at once is not fun. Oh well, it needed to be done and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure they're happy the end is getting closer for them as well.

I'm almost done Christmas shopping. We budget around half of that each year and then dh supplements with $ he gets from doing little side jobs so financially it's not that bad. Thank God he's so handy.

I have 3 more weeks of payments til our oven is paid off. We have a 0% promotional deal from Sears so at least it's interest free but it's been siphoning off our snowball. Just a minor setback and we'll be back on track Jack! :lmao:

My dd is getting married in April. Plus we are still trying to sell our house, and build our new one.

My God daughter got married 5 years ago and my sister told me her wedding cost almost $40,000. So far I made the down payment for the venue and caterer. Last week I paid the full venue on my Disney Visa to get the rewards. So out of $10,000, I already have half paid off. Hopefully by the wedding, I can pay for the rest of the catering, which will be $3,000-$4,000. I have to figure in in our lodging yet, food and wedding clothes. My dd and her boyfriend are paying for the cake, photographer. Since it is at a 1880 barn, they are bringing in their own drinks, beer, soda, wine.

Even though we are debt free, we were some what prepared, but it is life, and we knew we weren't an open checkbook and we will get these expenses paid off. Except, we have 3 more kids that will be getting married soon too.

My dd is getting married in April. Plus we are still trying to sell our house, and build our new one.

My God daughter got married 5 years ago and my sister told me her wedding cost almost $40,000. So far I made the down payment for the venue and caterer. Last week I paid the full venue on my Disney Visa to get the rewards. So out of $10,000, I already have half paid off. Hopefully by the wedding, I can pay for the rest of the catering, which will be $3,000-$4,000. I have to figure in in our lodging yet, food and wedding clothes. My dd and her boyfriend are paying for the cake, photographer. Since it is at a 1880 barn, they are bringing in their own drinks, beer, soda, wine.

Even though we are debt free, we were some what prepared, but it is life, and we knew we weren't an open checkbook and we will get these expenses paid off. Except, we have 3 more kids that will be getting married soon too.

It's amazing to me how much weddings cost! I work at a hotel which has a wedding venue and I am blown away at what the families put out. Congrats on the wedding!! The plus side is - look how many rewards dollars you are going to earn for that much needed vacation!!

Wrapping up the rest of our vacation, will be heading home tomorrow. Sort of anxious for the holidays to be over (I know, bah humbug) so we can back on track to pay off debt!! We are not having a big Christmas this year-first off, we just spent $$ on this vacation, and secondly, my new job mandates about 10 days off during the holidays (I work for a college) and although 4 days of that will be paid holiday leave, and then weekends are in there too, there will still be some unpaid days. As it is now, I'm looking at a little over a week unpaid leave for this trip. Thankfully we have some set aside in savings to cover the shortfall.

I've been considering moving some of the cc balances to 0% interest offers that I have received -for instance, Sears is offering it until next year, so in tempted to do that for one of my balances that has high interest. Thoughts??

Wrapping up the rest of our vacation, will be heading home tomorrow. Sort of anxious for the holidays to be over (I know, bah humbug) so we can back on track to pay off debt!! We are not having a big Christmas this year-first off, we just spent $$ on this vacation, and secondly, my new job mandates about 10 days off during the holidays (I work for a college) and although 4 days of that will be paid holiday leave, and then weekends are in there too, there will still be some unpaid days. As it is now, I'm looking at a little over a week unpaid leave for this trip. Thankfully we have some set aside in savings to cover the shortfall.

I've been considering moving some of the cc balances to 0% interest offers that I have received -for instance, Sears is offering it until next year, so in tempted to do that for one of my balances that has high interest. Thoughts??

We transferred 2 cc balances to Discover cards, one in my name, one in dh's name. The first one I could only find 0% for 12 months but for the 2nd one I did around a month later I was able to get it for 18 months. They did charge a fee to transfer but it still saves us compared to the interest we were paying.
It will expire by the end of July and we are due to have it paid off by early June. The second one expires the end of next Dec and if all goes well that should be paid off too or at least put a huge dent in it. We had a few setbacks with summer vacay, then our oven and dishwasher died about 1 week apart.
We are back on track now stronger than ever.
Just keep swimming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter