Debt Dumpers - 2014

Hi all, I have been reading but not a lot of time to post. Looks like everyone is doing well. This year has been great for us financially. Some of you remember I started working full time (after seven years of freelancing) right when the govt was closed last year, which affected my DH bc he's a contractor. Lots of turmoil over the summer when my company was laying people off and DH had to rebid his contract. Happy to say that they won the contract and I didn't get laid off, so we've been able to save for the kids' college and my retirement this year. And aren't as stressed out as we were in July when we thought one or both of us would be out of work.
It's not without its challenges, of course. We have a home improvement that needs doing (not really a choice) to the tune of almost $7k, which hopefully will start after the new year, and we do have small balances on both credit cards. But our net worth is growing so we are pleased.

As for the holidays...we are almost done shopping. We celebrate Christmas and Chanuka and older DS has a birthday next week. We haven't shopped for him but are almost done with holiday shopping and just need a few things for a few relatives. We have been using the credit card to get points and feel more secure shopping online with it than our debit card. Whenever I use the card to buy a gift, I have been then making a credit card payment to cover it, with the exception with an expensive sporting event ticket purchase that will be a holiday gift. That, we are chipping away at. I have been trying to not go so crazy with feeling like I need to do and buy everything this year. I've done a lot of gifts for the kids that they will need anyway...clothes, stuff for their sports, etc. And think that at their ages (11.5 and about to turn 14) they won't mind. I hate wasting money on stuff that doesn't get used.
Good luck to everyone, and happy holidays!

Ps. I hope I don't sound like I am tooting my own horn. It's just nice to have some good things to report. I hope you all don't mind.

Well doing ok I guess. We racked up about 1000 grand in cc debt due to having to put in new water heater. Oh well life goes on lol. Hope to get that paid off very soon. Just came back from a trip to TN during Thanksgiving and used debit card for the whole trip. And came under what I thought I was going to spend which made the hubby happy :lmao: Christmas is upon us but we don't usually buy each other gifts as we can buy what we need throughout the year. Although hubby was saying he wanted a new iPhone as it was time for him to upgrade. :confused3 I think if we don't upgrade we get credit back for not getting new phone but guess he really wants a new one. We are also tentatively looking to move. Not sure when but hopefully soon. Want to get out of this unfriendly budget house now! Hopefully in next year. Not sure if we want to buy or rent. Loads of decisions to make lol. Glad everyone is doing so good with paying down their debt!

Hi all, I have been reading but not a lot of time to post. Looks like everyone is doing well. This year has been great for us financially. Some of you remember I started working full time (after seven years of freelancing) right when the govt was closed last year, which affected my DH bc he's a contractor. Lots of turmoil over the summer when my company was laying people off and DH had to rebid his contract. Happy to say that they won the contract and I didn't get laid off, so we've been able to save for the kids' college and my retirement this year. And aren't as stressed out as we were in July when we thought one or both of us would be out of work.
It's not without its challenges, of course. We have a home improvement that needs doing (not really a choice) to the tune of almost $7k, which hopefully will start after the new year, and we do have small balances on both credit cards. But our net worth is growing so we are pleased.

As for the holidays...we are almost done shopping. We celebrate Christmas and Chanuka and older DS has a birthday next week. We haven't shopped for him but are almost done with holiday shopping and just need a few things for a few relatives. We have been using the credit card to get points and feel more secure shopping online with it than our debit card. Whenever I use the card to buy a gift, I have been then making a credit card payment to cover it, with the exception with an expensive sporting event ticket purchase that will be a holiday gift. That, we are chipping away at. I have been trying to not go so crazy with feeling like I need to do and buy everything this year. I've done a lot of gifts for the kids that they will need anyway...clothes, stuff for their sports, etc. And think that at their ages (11.5 and about to turn 14) they won't mind. I hate wasting money on stuff that doesn't get used.
Good luck to everyone, and happy holidays!

Ps. I hope I don't sound like I am tooting my own horn. It's just nice to have some good things to report. I hope you all don't mind.

Way to go! Glad to hear the good news. It's always nice to be able to report good things - it makes us all realize there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Well doing ok I guess. We racked up about 1000 grand in cc debt due to having to put in new water heater. Oh well life goes on lol. Hope to get that paid off very soon. Just came back from a trip to TN during Thanksgiving and used debit card for the whole trip. And came under what I thought I was going to spend which made the hubby happy :lmao: Christmas is upon us but we don't usually buy each other gifts as we can buy what we need throughout the year. Although hubby was saying he wanted a new iPhone as it was time for him to upgrade. :confused3 I think if we don't upgrade we get credit back for not getting new phone but guess he really wants a new one. We are also tentatively looking to move. Not sure when but hopefully soon. Want to get out of this unfriendly budget house now! Hopefully in next year. Not sure if we want to buy or rent. Loads of decisions to make lol. Glad everyone is doing so good with paying down their debt!

Sorry to hear about the water heater. The joys of owning a home ;)

Very glad to say that I paid off Best Buy last night - over $700. :cool1: We had been working hard to pay down cc debt but had a setback. October 2013 my mom was diagnosed with Stage 3C cancer & passed away on January 31, 2014. Well lets just say I did too much emotional shopping. So very pleased to pay off the debt that came about during Mom's illness & after her death.

Very glad to say that I paid off Best Buy last night - over $700. :cool1: We had been working hard to pay down cc debt but had a setback. October 2013 my mom was diagnosed with Stage 3C cancer & passed away on January 31, 2014. Well lets just say I did too much emotional shopping. So very pleased to pay off the debt that came about during Mom's illness & after her death.

Sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sure I would have done the same thing in an effort to cope (escapism at its best). Glad you're done paying that bill, good job!

Is there going to be a 2015 thread?

We are absolutely having a 2015 thread :thumbsup2 If anyone wants to start it, or would like me to start it I have no problem doing it. This is my favorite thread - definitely keeps me in check and makes me realize that Murphy visits everyone ;)

Awesome job on getting your cc paid off :thumbsup2
So sorry to hear about your mom

:flower3: :hug:
I'm so sorry about your mom.
I can't say I've been in your shoes but my MIL passed away in early Oct. I know it's not the same but I was so sad for dh, his siblings, FIL and my kids. Though really I still think my kids were fortunate to have all 4 grandparents alive and still married to each other until they were ages 14 and almost 18.

Anyway, one thing is for certain, everyone grieves differently. If a year of shopping got you through a very difficult time, so be it. It's not like it was a whole lifetime of irresponsible spending. In time, you somehow found the strength to reel yourself back in to logical spending habits. Hopefully you continue on the right track budget-wise. At least you have us to lean on! :wave2:

Wow, and how could I forget? Last Thursday I paid off our Sears bill.:cool1:
For the 2nd time. :mad:
When our oven died in late Aug we were a bit desperate and unfortunately it was too much for our emergency fund to handle. Sears had 0% x 12 months but I kicked to the curb in 3. :thumbsup2
Now I'm full steam ahead on our Discover bill which will likely take til May or June. That was also a 0% x 12 months deal. I'm working hard to pay it off before the 12 months runs out.
I'm done our Christmas shopping except small visa gift cards for the kids. Also I get my grandmother a gift card to a nail salon usually and I still need to get that. She's 97.5 and at this point it's the only thing I know for certain she will use. :lmao: I'll be off a day next week to finish shopping and wrapping.
Good luck everyone!
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

Wow, and how could I forget? Last Thursday I paid off our Sears bill.:cool1: For the 2nd time. :mad: When our oven died in late Aug we were a bit desperate and unfortunately it was too much for our emergency fund to handle. Sears had 0% x 12 months but I kicked to the curb in 3. :thumbsup2 Now I'm full steam ahead on our Discover bill which will likely take til May or June. That was also a 0% x 12 months deal. I'm working hard to pay it off before the 12 months runs out. I'm done our Christmas shopping except small visa gift cards for the kids. Also I get my grandmother a gift card to a nail salon usually and I still need to get that. She's 97.5 and at this point it's the only thing I know for certain she will use. :lmao: I'll be off a day next week to finish shopping and wrapping. Good luck everyone! Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

Way to go on getting the card paid off in 3 months! Sounds like you have your budget working out great!
I have a few giftcards left to get and I am finished as well. I think it's great that your grandmother still gets her manicures!

We are absolutely having a 2015 thread :thumbsup2 If anyone wants to start it, or would like me to start it I have no problem doing it. This is my favorite thread - definitely keeps me in check and makes me realize that Murphy visits everyone ;)

As long as whoever starts it posts a link we're good! :thumbsup2

I've been using YNAB for a little over a year and FINALLY am able to what it wants and fully fund a month before the start of the month - so I no longer have the dreaded "over budgeted" for the current month!

I've been using YNAB for a little over a year and FINALLY am able to what it wants and fully fund a month before the start of the month - so I no longer have the dreaded "over budgeted" for the current month!

I'm not familiar with YNAB at all, but I hear once you get the hang of it that it works great. Glad your able to get it what you need it to do for your budget!

You must have started YNAB around the same time I did. Changed my life! Glad it's helped you too. When I joined this group we were in debt and now we actually have money in savings!!!!

Just started using YNAB last month, looooove it, though right now I have some red numbers staring at me. :( (thanks holidays!)

Is there going to be a 2015 thread?

As long as whoever starts it posts a link we're good! :thumbsup2

I started the 2015 thread here.

Hoping that getting the new thread started will help me stay focused and on track, so I'll be less likely to give into the temptation of charging last minute gifts knowing I won't see the bill until January sometime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter