• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy?

BUT... I hate when people decide that someone else can or cant afford something... we are simple people that while at disney will be in shorts and t-shirts (probably with a disney character on it) hair in a pony tail and a smile on our faces... how in the heck would you (or someone else making this judgement) know the amount in our bank account or what we do for a living or how much we make... FISCAL RESPONSIBLITY... ok um you are going to DISNEY WORLD... in my opinion not the place to really try to teach fiscal responsibility... we are going on a trip that is going to cost us a HECK of a lot of money and its our choice to do that... just as its the choice of others to do it for waht they can afford... and for the time and the events and the hotels etc they want.... it just really gets me when others make judgements of what others can do... its their CHOICE.... not others choice to judge....

I totaly agree, and did not mean to be judgemental. My intention was to say don't give into the hype and don't do it because every other little girl is doing it. I know so many people that would spend money on stuff like this and then complain about how expensive Disney is and how they don't have any money. If that's what you want to do with your money, great!

Actually we weren't planning on doing BBB again this trip, since it is a short stay. Then, about a week ago my daughter asked me if she could be a princess again and get her hair done at the castle. So, to answer your question...........it is the child's fantasy. As far as putting them on "display', as a pp said, they are not being judged. They enjoy the attention of being called princess, by the nice people in WDW and all of the CM's. All kids enjoy dressing up - why do you think Halloween is so popular? It's the day other people get to see them as something they wish to be. Same for BBB.

I agree with you. In your daughter's case it is the child's fantasy and were it my daughter, and she requested it, I wouldn't deny her. My question came from witnessing young girls that were complaining about their hair being too tight, etc. and yanked around by parents telling them to (in nice terms) be quiet. And, although you may not believe it (or think of us as "nice" people), we always try to positively acknowledge the Princesses, whether in make-up or just dressed up. This is a very emotional issue and, as with many topics, we all have a right to our opinions. It makes for a good discussion.

Ohhh, I forgot about that. The next morning, with hair still up, we ate breakfast at Olivias. When our server was walking towards our table she was looking at me and smiling and when she got to our table she turned and looked at DD4 that was coloring and noticed her crown and she immediately gasped and fell to the ground in a kneel and said "Oh my, I did not realize that I was going to be serving a princess this morning. I am so privileged to have this honor" and stood up and just kept talking to her. DD4 is the most shy kid you'll meet but she just ate it up smiling the whole time.

Wherever we went the male CMs were bowing and holding doors open saying things like "welcome princess" and the female CM were curtsying with similar remarks.

Dd got that for the entire 9 days we were at WDW.... one or two days she was in a princess dress (she wore them to a few character meals) but most of the time she was in t-shirts and shorts. They all called her princess, bowed and curtsied...the works. At first she was confused... (Mommy...I'm not REALLY Cinderella! ;)) but took it in stride...enjoying the attention after the first day or so.

I distinctly get the impression EVERY little girl is treated like a princess, not just those that have their hair up!

I totally believe that if your child really wants to go and be made into a princess then it is fine. That being said, I am not going out of my way to encourage it. When they are so young and being made up with make-up and fake hair(in some cases), and hair slicked back so tight that their hair won't move for a couple days, it just bothers me. My daughter is 3 yrs old and wears the dresses and loves just being herself in the dress. She has naturally curly hair and is our beautiful princess just the way she is and we let her know that everyday. If she really wants the pink cheeks or nails done, I will put it on for free. Until she is older, I will not be paying large amts of money for "our princess" to be made to look less like a princess in our eyes.

On a side note, I once heard somone comment on how their child went to the BBB and after 3 or 4 days, their hair was still holding strong. Is it me or does that just sound gross. Don't we want to bathe(including washing hair) after sweating in the Florida heat and walking around parks all day(even when it isn't as hot).

I apologize if I come off sounding harsh

On a side note, I once heard somone comment on how their child went to the BBB and after 3 or 4 days, their hair was still holding strong. Is it me or does that just sound gross. Don't we want to bathe(including washing hair) after sweating in the Florida heat and walking around parks all day(even when it isn't as hot).

I agree with you but at the same time, I know that when I was a little kid, I only washed my hair like twice a week. Kids just don't sweat like adults do and their hair doesn't get as oily.

That being said, IF I were to allow my (non-existent) daughter to do the BBB, I would wash it out either that night or the next morning. I can't imagine sleeping with my hair up in that tight bun and all that hairspray.

CANT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!!!!!! :)

Also as the parent paying the $$$ if you dont want a lot of make-up on YOUR daughter tell the FGMT I am sure they will fufill your wishes as well... :)

:thumbsup2 Coming from a parent that did just that. We took DD (4) to the BBB last Sept. and had a ball. Just the idea alone that she was getting HER hair done where Cinderella gets HER hair done....well, she was beside herself. Watching her gaze around the boutique in awe of her surroundings, really feeling the magic... It was priceless.

That said, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of having my 4 year old walking around with heavy makeup. So I asked her fairy godmother in training to go very lightly on the makeup and the hair gel/spray...just the tiniest bit of blush and lip gloss. Very very minimal. I also 'suggested' that DD do the princess updo as the others looked a little too....I don't know...too much to me. Fine for the older girls, but again, not what I wanted for my 4 year old. The overall effect was very sweet and perfectly appropriate for a 4 year old. One can certainly go to the BBB and not come out with a pageant girl! :cutie:

ETA - we also wore our own dress - a smocked Cinderella sundress - not a princess dress....fine for some kids, just not mine.

I do not know if "creepy" is the right word "horrifying" "eighties throwback" or down right "funny" are words I would choose. I started a thread entitled "Did anyone think the BBB wasn't that great?" My daughter loved it BUT I thought she was a cross between Cruella and Medusa..lol. As long as she loved it that is all that matters but the "Diva Style" is a bit much for a 6 year old...I told her to be her own princess..and she became princess Emileena the day after the BBB and looked like a pretty little 6 year old again :)

Here is what my daughter looks like..
IMG_0842.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the after..

IMG_0908.jpg
[/IMG]

I hope you don't mind me saying... but your DD is much prettier in the before pic! Because you can't improve on perfection :thumbsup2

I do not know if "creepy" is the right word "horrifying" "eighties throwback" or down right "funny" are words I would choose. I started a thread entitled "Did anyone think the BBB wasn't that great?" My daughter loved it BUT I thought she was a cross between Cruella and Medusa..lol. As long as she loved it that is all that matters but the "Diva Style" is a bit much for a 6 year old...I told her to be her own princess..and she became princess Emileena the day after the BBB and looked like a pretty little 6 year old again :)

IMG_0842.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the after..

IMG_0908.jpg
[/IMG]

I agree, your DD is adorable! You must be so proud! However, to use the word "horrifying" to describe her BBB expereince is actually pretty sad. I think your Diva princess looks sweet. Why make such a lovely time seem wrong by using the word horrifying.

Suz

For all the posters who are voting for "creepy" --how do you know that when the child left the boutique, they looked that way? The parents are there; the make up is applied very, very lightly. And you get to choose what style you want for your child. When my friend took her 6 year old daughter, she looked lovely. We took pictures of her in front of the castle afterwards, and the photos are breathless! Barely any makeup. I wouldn't call that "creepy". They give a tiny kit of play make-up to the child. My friend's daughter decided to continue applying make up the next day. :rotfl: Of course she did it all wrong; what six year old knows how to apply make up? At any point, her mother could have stopped her, but she didn't. So, the kid looked silly for awhile. For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?
It's what little girls do.

For all the posters who are voting for "creepy" --how do you know that when the child left the boutique, they looked that way? The parents are there; the make up is applied very, very lightly. And you get to choose what style you want for your child. When my friend took her 6 year old daughter, she looked lovely. We took pictures of her in front of the castle afterwards, and the photos are breathless! Barely any makeup. I wouldn't call that "creepy". They give a tiny kit of play make-up to the child. My friend's daughter decided to continue applying make up the next day. :rotfl: Of course she did it all wrong; what six year old knows how to apply make up? At any point, her mother could have stopped her, but she didn't. So, the kid looked silly for awhile. For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?

Amen!

Thank you for all the sweet complements...I couldn't agree more. When I said I was horrified, It was because she didn't look like a princess..she looked like me in 1988. Her hair was teased way to high..the makeup actually was not the issue. Her hair looked ratty and strange....The evil stepmother actually said she could be one of her daughters (because of her hair) when we met her after of experience at BBB..what would you think..lol :)

IMG_0909.jpg
[/IMG]

I actually think that the photos taken AT BBB have too much makeup and look creepy. So unless they put on more makeup while sitting in the chair...then yes BBB is too much.
I've posted my views regarding makeup on young girls previously... I just don't think it is appropriate.
I really would appreciate a NON makeup option for BBB that would be less expensive than the current pricing structure. I know that I could request no makeup...but $50 to put up dd's hair is just way too pricey!

We just got back from DD's (almost 4) first trip. I was all set to bring her to BBB before our Wednesday dinner at the castle (as a surprise.). I cancelled the appointment on Monday after seeing all the waaaay over done little girls walking around. I saw exactly TWO with light make up, everyone else looked like a Jon Benet wannabe!! My mom said 'that's not the place doing OUR princesses hair and make up, right??" and even my husband asked what the deal was. :scared1:

So, maybe it is parents 'touching up' makeup after the bbb-ing is over, but it was most girls I saw, so I don't think so.

We spent the rest of the trip referring to it as the bibbidi bobiddi ho-tique. And, yes, if DD decides she wants to do it next year, she can, and we will state LIGHT MAKE UP!!!!!!!

We spent the rest of the trip referring to it as the bibbidi bobiddi ho-tique

That's a little harsh considering we are talking about young girls..I thought my daughter looked a little silly but she didn't look like a HO...kind of strong for a 1st post.

Sorry you feel it was harsh-it was more tongue in cheek, but I realize that's hard to convey...

But, as the mother of a young girl, I chose to cancel our appointment to prevent my daughter from looking like 98% of the girls I saw there!

If your daughter is the cutie with the 80's hair after her BBB experience, she wouldn't have made me think anything when I saw her except 'she's cute." I thought that about exactly TWO of the girls I saw. Most of the rest, I saw make up and tight glittery hair. Honestly, most of the pix on this and the other thread look much milder than what we just saw...
Perhaps new FGiTs?? :confused3

Thanks for clarifying..sometimes when you post it comes out differently then intended..I understand what you are saying..:thumbsup2 I did state the makeup was not a problem for me but I also did see little girls walking around with lot's of makeup...if it was my daughter I wouldn't have allowed it..but to each his own ;)

IMG_0842.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the after..

IMG_0908.jpg
[/IMG]

I hope you don't mind me saying... but your DD is much prettier in the before pic! Because you can't improve on perfection :thumbsup2

I asked my DD5, who happened to be in the office with me, which photo was cuter. :thumbsup2 She picked the NON BBB photo. DD5 is all into princesses and dressing up. But, she even looked at the made-up little girls at WDW with a funny look. As someone already stated, the parents are with them at BBB. The parent should say something. DH told me we are NOT letting our daughter go to BBB if she looks like one of the litle girls we saw. She was a cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown. I am glad there is a toned-down version of the make-up. I wish more parents would go that route. How long did it take to untangle your daughter's hair. We saw a few little girls with crazy teased hair. I couldn't image how much fun that was to get out.

- Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter