Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy?

You know I am just now reading through the posts...and wow!

The OP asked...ASKED if she was the only one who was a little disheartened by BBB. I for one gave my honest opinion. Yes, I agreed with her. The title of the thread is even "Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy"

Did all of you supporters of BBB actually believe that we would all applaud your stance? Come on! The thread title is very clear to me.

I, for one, am not slamming any of you for your choice to spend a lot of money to dress up your kids. That's your choice and your opinion. Never once did I or several others tell you you were bad parents or that you girls were going to grow up "wrong."

So lay off those of us who don't agree with it. The choice for us to not take my DD to BBB and spend way too much money is mine and my DH's. And just remember the title of the thread.

Thank you!

I am not posting to be applauded. All I care about is my child's particular experience. It is obvious by the stories that not all the girls/parents had a good memory. In fact that picture of the original poster's daughter was MUCH heavier makeup than ours.

As far as remembering the original question...that WAS what I was addressing. How I do not feel that it is pageanty, but for US it was princess fun.

I am sad that others have not had as good an experience.

Off topic, I know. But I am curious how you set it up that Cinderella invited her. I am trying to set that up for my DD for her birthday, and make it 'appear' as if Cinderella is inviting her.

I created a letter for her in photo shop. I printed it and rolled it up and tied it with a bow. I left it on her pillow as we were leaving that day so she would see it when we came home that night. She was SO excited. She told all the ladies about it a BBB. They played it up for her as well by telling her you must receive a special invitation from Cinderella to eat in the castle, and how lucky and special she must be. LOL

I created a letter for her in photo shop. I printed it and rolled it up and tied it with a bow. I left it on her pillow as we were leaving that day so she would see it when we came home that night. She was SO excited. She told all the ladies about it a BBB. They played it up for her as well by telling her you must receive a special invitation from Cinderella to eat in the castle, and how lucky and special she must be. LOL

OHHH, Awesome!! I am stealing that idea from you!! :cool1:

"Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy"

I think its a little bit of both..part of me loves the idea and another part thinks its just too much. And I hate seeing little girls in the heat with the outfits and tight hair - I wouldn't allow it for my DDs - but comfort is different for everyone, and lets face it, beauty can be painful! All in all I think BBB is just harmless fun.

I took my DD when she was 6. While we were waiting, she said 'oh mom, this place is a girls dream'. The apointment was before we went to MNSSHP. She choose the tight princess bun - and she's a girl that screams when I brush her hair :) I got the least expensive package because we get nails done before vacation, already have a million princess outfits, and I don't think disney photographers are the greatest. My DD wore her halloween costume - a rose princess dress - and sneakers. She loved BBB. When we got back to the room after MNSSHP she did want her hair out of the bun and washed to make the sore head feeling go away :) She didn't ask to go again until this year when she was 8. This time she wanted the disney diva and wore her regular clothes. I think the teased diva hairpiece is ugly, but thats just MHO :) This time she wanted her hair out while we were waiting for the bus back to the hotel!

I had read things like this prior to our first WDW vacation in Sept... really even considered canceling the BBB appt. DDs asked me to please let them do it.... we did and I think it was so wonderful! Worth every penny! (Please everyone needs to decide for their family if it is something they want or can live without..or modify by doing it yourself)

As for the makeup, I agree w/some of the previous posters ... did the heavily made-up girls really look like that when they left the BBB?

I have to say that I had to really look to see if my DDs had makeup on...

DD5/Close up...can't really tell she is wearing makeup...she loved the lightweight Tinkerbell dress.
Disney065.jpg

DD8 getting the finishing touches on. Again, very light, almost unnoticeable makeup... Sept heat kept her from wearing the dress all day..so after CRT she put on the cute pink sundress we had brought to the park w/us for just such a thing!
Disney098.jpg

My vote is for Princess fantasy! Girls loved it!

So, do you think that you personally could have "fun" touring Mk in a wig, full-length nylon dress, plastic shoes and full glitter make-up on a hot summer's day? Just wondering.

Described as you have put it 'PrincessTiffany' it certainly does not sound appealing. However, I think that would be the exception, not the rule. There is no wigs as you put it. The child either has a bun made from their own hair, or their hair is in a pony tale, off their necks ( imagine that in the blazing hot heat), with a pony tale holder around the pony, that has fun hair extensions on it. The Pop style pony holder weighs about 3 ounces. Yes, my DD had this style and I just weighed it.

We went in January and my DD's dress was not enough. She wore an undershirt under it with her jacket on top as it was so cold. However, if it had been super hot then no I would not force her to wear it. I think you will find most parents don't equate the fun of BBB and the magic of Disney with torture. Same goes for the shoes. They are actually real shoes that the child can wear other times. That said, if my child wanted runners so be it. Back to the "Disney is about torture reference". Last, but not least, the full glitter make up you refer to does not exsist. I know becasue we were there and I did not ask them to go light on my DD. The glitter is pixie dust, sprinkled on at the end. It is actually much lighter than the stuff they use at the barber shop. WHen we went 80% of the dust and make up was gone in half an hour. It is child's stuff so of course it is not going to last.

Would I make my child wear this stuff when she was hot, tired, cranky from walking etc..? No, of course not. If she wanted to leave it on or have a melt down if I insisted she take it off, then I would let her leave it on.

Suz

I had read things like this prior to our first WDW vacation in Sept... really even considered canceling the BBB appt. DDs asked me to please let them do it.... we did and I think it was so wonderful! Worth every penny! (Please everyone needs to decide for their family if it is something they want or can live without..or modify by doing it yourself)

As for the makeup, I agree w/some of the previous posters ... did the heavily made-up girls really look like that when they left the BBB?

DD5/Close up...can't really tell she is wearing makeup...she loved the lightweight Tinkerbell dress.
Disney065.jpg

DD8 getting the finishing touches on. Again, very light, almost unnoticeable makeup... Sept heat kept her from wearing the dress all day..so after CRT she put on the cute pink sundress we had brought to the park w/us for just such a thing!
Disney098.jpg

Your DDs look lovely. I bet they had tons of fun!

Suz

I guess I'm most appalled coming into this thread, not by the contrasting opinions, but at some of the nasty remarks made about these innocent little girls. Isn't that the same behavior we're concerned about preventing here?

I guess I should start off saying that concerning uncomfortable shoes, too hot dresses, too much this or that, etc.... I think it is the parents' full responsibility to be looking after. It should be them that brings a change of clothes and anticipates what their child may need throughout the day. It is their responsibility to say when too much is too much, and to make sure their little princess is taken care of. :cutie:

Of all of the pictures I've seen, I don't think the makeup is slathered on, but tastefully done for dress-up. I have to agree with the others who said that the parents (or even the child) probably just decided to do a touch-up job when the initial application wore off...

That being said, what little girl doesn't want the chance to be fussed over and the center of attention for one day? princess:

While everyone has different ideals, I kind of can't help but shrug :confused3 when I read about the BBB as contributing to pressuring our girls and sexing up our society... I see nothing "sexy" about any of the pictures of the girls. I see cute and innocent fun. Dress up is different than That Club LL or whatever it was called.
I think we have to keep in mind the difference between a one-day dolled-up event where the child is NOT being judged, and an EVERY DAY fashion / need of make-up, owning a bratz doll, etc. Those things are an every day influence, but I agree in saying that a one-day deal wouldn't scar a child unless they were forced to do it. But again, to each their own.
Princesses like the Disney princesses are a much different type of rolemodel than bratz would ever be. No one is pressuring these girls, and no one is saying that they are not beautiful every day. This is play-pretend.
:cloud9:

If some child truly thinks they are not beautiful without makeup, then I believe there is something else in their life that is not quite right, not a one-time trip to Disney world to wear some glitter.
Of course makeup wouldn't be appropriate for every-day use...

But I'll just close this long-winded post saying that in order for the experience to be magical, I agree that it should be something the little darling WANTS to do and is not being forced to do. Kudos to the parents who listen to the words "no more", no matter how much money was spent.

:dance3:

I guess I'm most appalled coming into this thread, not by the contrasting opinions, but at some of the nasty remarks made about these innocent little girls. Isn't that the same behavior we're concerned about preventing here?

I guess I should start off saying that concerning uncomfortable shoes, too hot dresses, too much this or that, etc.... I think it is the parents' full responsibility to be looking after. It should be them that brings a change of clothes and anticipates what their child may need throughout the day. It is their responsibility to say when too much is too much, and to make sure their little princess is taken care of. :cutie:

Of all of the pictures I've seen, I don't think the makeup is slathered on, but tastefully done for dress-up. I have to agree with the others who said that the parents (or even the child) probably just decided to do a touch-up job when the initial application wore off...

That being said, what little girl doesn't want the chance to be fussed over and the center of attention for one day? princess:

While everyone has different ideals, I kind of can't help but shrug :confused3 when I read about the BBB as contributing to pressuring our girls and sexing up our society... I see nothing "sexy" about any of the pictures of the girls. I see cute and innocent fun. Dress up is different than That Club LL or whatever it was called.
I think we have to keep in mind the difference between a one-day dolled-up event where the child is NOT being judged, and an EVERY DAY fashion / need of make-up, owning a bratz doll, etc. Those things are an every day influence, but I agree in saying that a one-day deal wouldn't scar a child unless they were forced to do it. But again, to each their own.
Princesses like the Disney princesses are a much different type of rolemodel than bratz would ever be. No one is pressuring these girls, and no one is saying that they are not beautiful every day. This is play-pretend.
:cloud9:

If some child truly thinks they are not beautiful without makeup, then I believe there is something else in their life that is not quite right, not a one-time trip to Disney world to wear some glitter.
Of course makeup wouldn't be appropriate for every-day use...

But I'll just close this long-winded post saying that in order for the experience to be magical, I agree that it should be something the little darling WANTS to do and is not being forced to do. Kudos to the parents who listen to the words "no more", no matter how much money was spent.

:dance3:

Very well put.

Suz

The OP asked...ASKED if she was the only one who was a little disheartened by BBB. I for one gave my honest opinion. Yes, I agreed with her. The title of the thread is even "Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy"

Did all of you supporters of BBB actually believe that we would all applaud your stance? Come on! The thread title is very clear to me.

I, for one, am not slamming any of you for your choice to spend a lot of money to dress up your kids. That's your choice and your opinion. Never once did I or several others tell you you were bad parents or that you girls were going to grow up "wrong."

So lay off those of us who don't agree with it. The choice for us to not take my DD to BBB and spend way too much money is mine and my DH's. And just remember the title of the thread.

Thank you!

I think the purpose of this thread has been dealt with. The OP wanted opinions on who thought the BBB was one way or another and that is what people have given, their opinions. Having said that some posters have gone a bit too far. I think that is what has caused some strong feelings to show from the supporters of BBB. Did any of us supporters expect the detractors to applaud our stance? No, but I think we thought that maybe some respect would be paid to the children (and perhaps even their parents) who did go to the BBB.

You want to vote for creepy, which by the way is defined as "unpleasant or disgusting, annoying", than vote that way. Just please try to refrain from using words like "hideous, stupid looking, horrifying, funny looking, cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown" to describe an innocent child. Or say things like "And the ones with the spare hair (that doesn't match their real hair color) and makeup. Two reactions to those girls gone wrong:confused3 :scared1: " and I think you get my point.

We all have our opinions and thankfully we are free to share them with everyone. But why "slam" the child for how they look? That to me is totally unnessary. You don't like it, just say so. There is no need for name calling or belittlement.

As for no one saying our girls will grow up wrong, well, it may not have been phrased exactly that way, but the implication was clear. When someone says, "what does the Diva package teach them " or "Diva, is this what anyone wants their daughter to aspire to?" or "It is about teaching girls that if we pay some money to have their face and hair done they are better than people who don't have the same get up.", I get the feeling they think we, the parents are doing something wrong. Never even mind the fact that all of those quotes are ridiculous.

As for getting off the backs of the detractors, put yourselves in our shoes. No, I don't expect you to change your mind. But, think how you would feel if these references were made to your children, as an individual or a group. I think you might get your back up a bit if you did see it from our point of view.

Suz

Thank you!

Exactly, she "ASKED" for what you thought. The supporters think it's harmless fun and others think it's "creepy". That is fine. Opinions are like nostrils. Pretty much everyone has one and that is fine. I'll even listen to those of other people. That does not make either side in this debate right or wrong. Everyone sees things differently, and should be allowed to as long as it's not against the law. I don't think anyone here should be trying to change the opinions of anyone else, as that sort of behavior is just plain wrong. Coercion is the word that comes to mind. State your opinion, but don't attack that of anyone else's. Also, do not criticize the children who are BBB'd in such a derogatory fashion. When all is said and done they ARE just children and you would not appreciate it if someone said something as uncomplimentary about your child as some of the posters here have said about other people's children. For instance if someone said that your child's voice was so annoying that it could cut glass in your hearing, would you appreciate the comment and tell your child never to speak again? The same can be said of mothers who allow their children to attend the BBB. Just because someone else doesn't like the finished product wont make them not do it, and hearing someone criticize it in such an outrageous fashion will only insult them and make them become like a lioness defending their cub as the people doing the criticizing would if someone were to criticize their own child. Think about how you would feel if it were someone else referring to your child before you say such terrible things about other people's children. Sure, say you don't like the finished product, but don't attack the children.

You want to vote for creepy, which by the way is defined as "unpleasant or disgusting, annoying", than vote that way. Just please try to refrain from using words like "hideous, stupid looking, horrifying, funny looking, cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown" to describe an innocent child. Or say things like "And the ones with the spare hair (that doesn't match their real hair color) and makeup. Two reactions to those girls gone wrong " and I think you get my point.

Hi Suz, I used the word Horrifying for myself..I was horrified at what my pretty little girl looked like...and when I wrote my post I spoke of know other child other then my own.....When someone posted the statement "a cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown" I laughed...unfortunately, that's what some girls looked like. If you like The BBB experience then I would never try and change your mind..again my daughter loved it..I didn't...nor did my hubby.. I let her walk around and I smiled and told her how pretty she looked..BUT when we got back to the room..I threw her in the tub and washed it all away and out of the tub emerged my pretty little 6 year old. :lovestruc

Disney065.jpg

Disney098.jpg

Your girls are adorable!!!! :)

I for one find pageant children very creepy, but there is nothing creepy about BBB.

We've never done BBB & won't have the need, as eldest DD wants no part of it as an 8th grader & her 4th gr sister isn't interested either. I guess after a lifetime of dance recitals & competitions they both are less than interested in the whole dressing up/making up thing & just want to have fun!

For the little girls who do have the dream to dress & make up like that, go & have fun -- you won't be in competition w/ us for ressies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter