Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy?

My 6 yr old looked at the other girls hair and makeup and said no Mommy I don't want to do this... lol I said great lets save some money for something else...

Personally all the hair looks slicked back and too much...

For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?
It's what little girls do.

Nope- that isn't creepy; it's innocent fun, in the privacy of home and on each girl's own terms, and totally natural to play mommy and act out their maternal instincts in preparation for being wives and moms someday.

I don't think full hair, makeup, and body glitter are "what little girls do"...at least not until senior prom!!! What does the diva package prepare them for? Being......divas someday? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't look at my daughter and think, "I hope she grows up to be a diva someday!".

Little girls grow up fast enough without society over-sexualizing them. Then again, I am the mom who refuses to buy Bratz dolls and 2-piece bathing suits for the same reason. And I won't set foot in Libby Liu, either!!!

For every little girl who gets into her mom's high heels, and wears her oversized dresses, and carries a huge handbag and a hat, and has a tea party with her teddy bear and doll friends, (who of course all converse around the tea table) how many of you consider that to be creepy?
It's what little girls do.

I wouldn't find that at all creepy. But, I will tell you what I did find creepy during our September vacation. The first three days of our trip there was record breaking heat, the heat indexes were 108 degrees the day we were at MK. We saw little girls walking around in nylon full length dress in plasic high heels with make-up streaming down their little red faces who had obviously just been BBB'd. I had appointments for all three of our girls while we were there and I cancelled them, luckily it was a surprise and they didn't even know they didn't get to go. But on that same note, they saw all of the other little girls that had been made-up and not one of my girly girls said they wanted the make-over.

I found it very creepy and almost cruel to see these people dragging around their children in the sweltering heat dressed like that. Would any of you like to tour MK in 100 degree weather wearing a full-length nylon dress, plastic high heels with electic blue eye shadow dripping down your face? I don't think so!

The way I see it, if the little girl wants to be made into a princess for the day, then by all means take her to the BBB and spoil her. It only gets creepy when you've got the moms INSISTING to their kids who clearly want nothing to do with being a princess that they HAVE to go to the BBB. Moms living their own fantasy at the expense of their kids=creepy... On a side note, If I were 5 years old I would love to have been taken to the BBB.

During our most recent trip in September, we saw a lot of little girls who had been to the BBB.

I thought how much fun I would have had if there had been a BBB at WDW when I was that age, though my parents would have been very unlikely to pay for something like that. I can admire them for their ability to take us to WDW and manage the expense.
:)

I thought that many of the girls at WDW looked adorable, pretending they were princesses with their costumes, crowns, and sweet smiles. Most looked very happy, interacting with the characters and roleplaying in the parks.
princess:

I also thought some of the girls looked a little overdone, particularly those who had the "punky" or "flowing" hair extensions and heavy makeup. That said, I did not think any of the girls looked "creepy." It should be noted that we were there during MNSSHP season, though I don't think that made a difference in my mind.

If I am blessed to have a little girl in the future, I would probably take her to BBB if she wanted to go but nix the makeup and extension. If I cut out those things, I might decide it is too much money for just a little hairstyling. The most important part would be her enjoyment of the experience, though, and I certainly spend a lot of money on myself for things at WDW just for the experience. I do not have my parents' self control for resisting the overpriced character meals and souvenirs.
:rotfl:

A couple of people have mentioned Club Libby Lu. I think BBB is completely different from CLL, which has horrified me from the first time a couple of years ago I was at the local mall on a Saturday morning and saw the little girls who were dressed in tube tops and hip huggers, spray painted with makeup, and "strutting" out of the store. In case you are not familiar with it, here is an article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/24/AR2006032402188_2.html

:scared1:

I suppose even that can be controlled, but I would call much of what I have seen in that store "creepy."

I asked my DD5, who happened to be in the office with me, which photo was cuter. She picked the NON BBB photo. DD5 is all into princesses and dressing up. But, she even looked at the made-up little girls at WDW with a funny look. As someone already stated, the parents are with them at BBB. The parent should say something. DH told me we are NOT letting our daughter go to BBB if she looks like one of the litle girls we saw. She was a cross between Cindy Lauper and a clown. I am glad there is a toned-down version of the make-up. I wish more parents would go that route. How long did it take to untangle your daughter's hair. We saw a few little girls with crazy teased hair. I couldn't image how much fun that was to get out.

Cindy Lauper and a clown is hilarious! :rotfl2: When we got back to the Poly that night I threw her in the shower and dumped conditioner on her head.. Just to reiterate something I had stated in the past...I did tell the girl doing my daughter's hair to tone it down..but she didn't listen and kept telling my daughter how great she looked as she kept teasing her hair...all I can say is never again..;)

If you don't like it, don't look. If you have little girls, don't take them if you don't want to. Nobody is being forced to do the BBB. For goodness sakes, it is Disney - Fantasy reigns here!!

Picture is Just Beautiful!.

My DD7 loved the BBB. Can't wait to do it again on our next trip. We will be 3 princesses strong this time.

When I started planning our April trip, I thought I would take my girls, 9 and 7, to the BBB. The more I saw of the pictures, the more I didn't like how all the girls look the same. Instead of the Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique it should be called the BB Assembly Line.

We took our DD there last week. Actually she was invited by Cinderella ;) Before we went I was kinda regretting that I made the appointment. I did think some of the girls looked more tacky than cute. Sorry JMHO. My dd had her hair put in a bun and choose not to wear the stickers on her face. Her make up wasn't very noticeable and wore off in about 20 minutes anyway. I thought she looked adorable.

I'm not sure we would do it again but it was a nice experience for her to have at least once. And she is SO proud that Cinderella invited her.

When I started planning our April trip, I thought I would take my girls, 9 and 7, to the BBB. The more I saw of the pictures, the more I didn't like how all the girls look the same. Instead of the Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique it should be called the BB Assembly Line.

You do realize that there are only a couple of choices in looks to choose from? Only 3 hairstyles, a few colors of eye, lip, blush, and nails, and if you want a dress pick one of a few Disney Princess dresses. It's not a beauty shop where you can have anything done. Most are coming out as ether Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, and I may have seen a few Jasmines. There is no choice but to look the same.

I'm with whoever mentioned the adults that do this -- now THAT is creepy!! :scared:

When we were there I watched 4 men having their hair done. :confused3 I think they were all together and related in some way to a few girls also having their hair done. I thought that was a little weird.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I felt bad because there were little girls being turned away because the BBB was booked and these guys were taking up seats. BUT who am I to judge. Maybe they enjoyed it just as much as a little girl would. I doubt it but maybe they did. Or maybe it was the thrill of the week for the rest of the family.

I have 3 girls and really considered doing this. They love the barbershop (as does my son) so I thought this might be a really special thing just for the girls. Well, we were having breakfast in the castle, and we wandered into the Boutique and saw three women working on this little 4 or 5-year-old while a Photopass photographer snapped pictures and I don't know how to describe the feelings I had. It just felt all wrong. My instincts just kicked in and I really felt that the whole senario wasn't right-or maybe appropriate?-at all.

I don't want to judge other parents whose child had a great experience-I'm happy for you, really.

I think we'll just stick with the barbershop. Fifteen bucks for a great haircut and all the pixie dust you need.

I don't know how to describe the feelings I had. It just felt all wrong. My instincts just kicked in and I really felt that the whole senario wasn't right-or maybe appropriate?-at all.

That is exactly how I feel...and I also want to add, a mother's instinct is never wrong!!!

We took our DD there last week. Actually she was invited by Cinderella ;) Before we went I was kinda regretting that I made the appointment. I did think some of the girls looked more tacky than cute. Sorry JMHO. My dd had her hair put in a bun and choose not to wear the stickers on her face. Her make up wasn't very noticeable and wore off in about 20 minutes anyway. I thought she looked adorable.

I'm not sure we would do it again but it was a nice experience for her to have at least once. And she is SO proud that Cinderella invited her.

Off topic, I know. But I am curious how you set it up that Cinderella invited her. I am trying to set that up for my DD for her birthday, and make it 'appear' as if Cinderella is inviting her.

Off topic, I know. But I am curious how you set it up that Cinderella invited her. I am trying to set that up for my DD for her birthday, and make it 'appear' as if Cinderella is inviting her.

You could probably just send a letter to your daughter. Have it signed Cinderella.

I promised myself I would stop responding to this thread because, quite frankly, all the nay sayers are depressing. But, it is kind of like watching a natural disaster unfold on the news. You want to see what else has been destroyed.

That may seem a bit dramatic and over the top, but wait a second, aren't we talking about Disney World? Probably one of the only places in the entire world where drama is not only allowed, but welcomed.

It would seem to me that having a child dress in a costume and get done up like a princess for a day, maybe two, would be the type of sweet and innocent fun we wished all children could enjoy, without the fear of being insulted. Of course all parents have the right to decide if they want to bring their child to the BBB, but why not leave your rude comments on other children out of it?

I often hear from adults just how cruel children can be to one another. I think just the opposite is happening here.

And, do you really think a parent takes their daughter to the BBB hoping they want to grow up to be a diva someday? Give me a break. It is one day of harmless fun, that will provide your child ( and you) with a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Suz

I promised myself I would stop responding to this thread because, quite frankly, all the nay sayers are depressing. But, it is kind of like watching a natural disaster unfold on the news. You want to see what else has been destroyed.

That may seem a bit dramatic and over the top, but wait a second, aren't we talking about Disney World? Probably one of the only places in the entire world where drama is not only allowed, but welcomed.

It would seem to me that having a child dress in a costume and get done up like a princess for a day, maybe two, would be the type of sweet and innocent fun we wished all children could enjoy, without the fear of being insulted. Of course all parents have the right to decide if they want to bring their child to the BBB, but why not leave your rude comments on other children out of it?

I often hear from adults just how cruel children can be to one another. I think just the opposite is happening here.

And, do you really think a parent takes their daughter to the BBB hoping they want to grow up to be a diva someday? Give me a break. It is one day of harmless fun, that will provide your child ( and you) with a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Suz

Fine. Take your child. Who cares? Some don't like it and won't take their child, that's their choice. If you do, then take her.

I've seen two types of kids coming out of there....the little girls in beautiful, clean buns with little tiaras. The ones that look like princesses.

And the ones with the spare hair (that doesn't match their real hair color) and makeup. Two reactions to those girls gone wrong. :confused3 and :lmao: Ok, maybe three :scared1: and four :laughing:

Suz

I agree with everything you said. And I personally think that it's time this thread went away forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter