Bibiddi Bobiddi Boutique...princessy fun or pageant-y creepy?

micmacmissy

DIS Veteran
Just wondering what the moms of little girls out there think of this...on the one hand, I think the BBB is a stroke of marketing genius for Disney....but the mother in me is a little disheartened, seeing all those little girls with their faces covered in makeup and glitter.

Is this harmless fun, or sending little girls the wrong message? Don't flame, just wondering if anyone felt the same way?

I hate the pageants as well. However I see BBB as Princess Fun. That is what little girls want the most at Disney. It is about letting them live a fantasy for the day or a few days.

I must admit I am not too fond of the make up. You do not need that to be Princessy. Getting your hair done and wearing the costume is superb. The make up should be reserved for the preteens and teenagers. That is normal for them to experiment with. I hate seeing the make up on two and three year olds.

If you don't like it, don't look. If you have little girls, don't take them if you don't want to. Nobody is being forced to do the BBB. For goodness sakes, it is Disney - Fantasy reigns here!!

I don't think it's creepy at all-- it's just pure magic for those girls, and isn't that what Disney is al about? We took our almost three year old last week and she was so excited. The makeup, I must say, was very light. It was just about completely worn off within an hour. It was just a tiny bit of glittery color to add to the magic when they turned her around in that chair and she got to see herself.

Now, put all those girls up on a stage and start judging them against one another to see who is the cutest, and, yeah, that'd be creepy. But I think it's just Disney magic and good, clean fun.

I plan to do it for DD's 3rd b-day but just the hair even though I will have paid for the make-up but I don't need her getting hives from it since she has super sensitive skin.

Girls young and old alike love to be the princess for a day and this is so much fun for them, I think it is fun not pageant creepy and believe me I know pageant creepy since I did pageants as a child.

I don't wear makeup typical days and don't include it in my dd6's playthings but she will be going to BBB this month. We'll go light on the makeup and enjoy the experience, nails & sash. Not sure we'll do it again but know she'll enjoy the special treatment and the ambiance.

On a day-to-day level, we spend time on other things and IMO want my DD to value and be recognized for her character and personaility --not her appearance.

my vote is creepy- we were there in August and the girls looked miserable! The make up was sticky and the one ahead of us line kept saying her "hair hurt". To each his own though- but I will miss the cool castle store that was there before the Boutique took over!

My daughter would have loved it when she was little, but I am glad she was already ten when they started it. I vote for creepy.

Creepy.
I am surprised thay aren't doing tatoos for little boys in the Pirate area. They are missing another money-maker.

I think it can borderline on creepy/pagenty, but I know the little girls love it. I have a little boy, so I really don't get a say in the matter...especially since the husband said that I'm too old to get an Ariel makeover. :)

my vote is creepy- we were there in August and the girls looked miserable! The make up was sticky and the one ahead of us line kept saying her "hair hurt". To each his own though- but I will miss the cool castle store that was there before the Boutique took over!
I agree. We were there in September and had reservations for all three of our girls at BBB, but after being there for a few days in the blinding, terrible, miserable HEAT, we cancelled it. We saw a couple of different little girls in line who had the works done and were complaining about their head hurting from the hairdo. Also saw a lot of sweaty little girls with make-up streaming down their faces - heck, by 10:30 a.m. I had sweated off all of my make-up! The ones I felt the worse for were the ones who were in the princess gear, plastic shoes and all, all day in the terrible heat. I can't even imagine someone dragging me around the parks all day in terrible heat in a nylon full-length dress and plastic high heel shoes! That's more like a punishment than a reward! lol. So I guess for us it really wasn't about cute vs. creepy. It seemed like a waste of money. Luckily, it was going to be a surprise so I never really hyped it up to them, if I had I'm sure we would have went ahead with it - the hair and make-up that is, not the dresses, it was just tooooooo hot!

Mostly creepy.
We were there in December and a group of little girls who were next to us watching the parade were all complaining that their heads hurt, that the woman who did their hair had yanked it too hard. And on top of that -- they smelled awful! Whatever type of hairspray they use to hold their hair .... it is just so strong. :sick: Funny thing was as soon as Mom left to go shop, the little girls started taking out the ribbons and clips and bows and other hair, and their dad insisted he was not involved!

I think it is just good Disney fun - a dream come true for little girls who love dress up and the princesses. I don't know much about pageant stuff - I don't like pageants little miss whatever or miss america.

Dont' think it's creepy, but my daughter did it last week and HATED it! She said she wanted to be her "old self". She won't even look at the pictures. I will say that we did get some rolling eyes from Downtown Disney to Epcot(where we had lunch" and to those people I say....Mind your own BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

BBB was the first thing I thought about when the Ultrasound Tech told me she was positive it was a boy... :lmao:
Im still torn on the creepy/not creepy idea of BBB, The makeup is so over the top,and I don't think young girls need that much makeup to be princesses. As far as the hair goes I was raised with a grandmother that would brush my hair into a ponytail and pull untill I didn't have ANY chickens so I don't think that it would have bothered me to have my hair done like that.
It's a really sweet idea but I think they need to make some changes before I'd ever let my daughter go there.

Most every little girl loves to play dress-up. How many little girls like to play with their mother's make-up? I know I did! My grandmother worked in a cosmetic department and I had lots of goodies to play with. I think some people take this way too seriously!

I wouldn't say creepy, but I didn't choose to do it with my dd, 3.5. Largely because she is shy, and I didn't think she'd necessarily enjoy it. Fwiw, she usually won't let me do much more than a ponytail, tho she does enjoy having her hair done at daycare! (She sometimes comes home with her hair in pigtails or braids, nothing too complicated.) I do suspect she probably wouldn't let me keep her hair in a complicated updo for very long, also.

However, when we went to dinner at 1900 Park Fare, there were at least a few girls who had obviously been at BBB, and didn't seem to be bothered by their hair. But then, it was January, not July...

I think it's cute, but I just don't think the hairstyles look like the kind the princesses wear. And they look soo tight. Just seeing the little girls walking past with those tight buns gives ME a headache.

I see it as harmless. I just think they can tone it down a little bit and still get the same effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter