• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Club Villas Refurb Renderings!

I just looked at photos from a refurbed room at VWL and it appears that the new decor at BCV (and BWV and the new Poly studios) is the same except for the scarf across the bottom of the bed. Really reminds me of BLT and makes me sad that there's no individuality for the resorts anymore. Hope Disney saved a lot of $$ on decorators' fees that way.

Exactly! The refurbs at VWL are anything but suggestive of a wilderness lodge! They may be nice looking in general, but the themeing is totally horrible, and Disney used to just nail that aspect so well.

We are staying in a 2 bedroom BCV this June. I hope this refrub includes them and will be done by this time(I know it won't but hope nonetheless). I was reading another thread about how they really need this refrub. We have never stayed there and was hoping for the best.
I, like most here do not like they way Disney is getting away with theming the resort room decor and turning them into some generic Holiday Inn scheme. I am sure some bean counter at Disney got a great deal for Disney if they keep to a basic theme regardless of the resort.
I remember several years ago when they change the food at Olivia's at Old Key West and other resorts by deleting many special foods just for the resorts and how it upset many. Now that is history and few probable remember these special meals that made Olivia's special. They want to standardize and it just keeps on and on and on...smjj

I don't get the whole 5 people for studio idea. When that 5 person, who I assume is a third child gets old you have to move up to a 1 bedroom. Even with 2 kids like my family there is no way we r going to fit in a studio when my kids get older.
While I can't imagine five people in a studio, it's a win for Disney financially so they don't really care what we think.

As thisismyusername points out, there were many families who would not buy into DVC if it meant purchasing enough points for a 2BR. They are looking for cost savings not spacious accommodations so they are happy to be all in one room. This opens up a new group of people that DVC can finally sell to. (And if, as you say, they need more space when the kids get older or they try a larger room one trip and realize how nice it is to have that extra space, perhaps they will add on more points!)

Second, at the hotel DVCs the shared costs for the front desk staff, pool, transportation, landscaping, etc. are shared based on the number of guests in the DVC rooms vs the number of guests in the hotel side. Increasing the official occupancy in the DVC rooms should result in increasing the number of guests on the DVC side, allowing Disney to shift more of the shared costs to DVC members.

We are staying in a 2 bedroom BCV this June. I hope this refrub includes them and will be done by this time(I know it won't but hope nonetheless). I was reading another thread about how they really need this refrub. We have never stayed there and was hoping for the best.
I, like most here do not like they way Disney is getting away with theming the resort room decor and turning them into some generic Holiday Inn scheme. I am sure some bean counter at Disney got a great deal for Disney if they keep to a basic theme regardless of the resort.
I remember several years ago when they change the food at Olivia's at Old Key West and other resorts by deleting many special foods just for the resorts and how it upset many. Now that is history and few probable remember these special meals that made Olivia's special. They want to standardize and it just keeps on and on and on...smjj

Not just the food. Look what has changed at OKW, mostly for the worse, over the years.

At the start, we had those great pastel colored towels. And dishes! Remember the pastel plates and bowels and matching napkins? All gone. Replaced with generics.

Then they did the refurb. Again, the pastels and light wood color of the furniture - all gone. Painted, stained, replaced with dark colors and fake wood flooring.

I agree with some other posters here. A nice thing about DVC was the different theming. I might not have liked the dark hues of the rooms at AKV, but it fit the theme, e.g.

Now more and more the rooms are becoming more generic, which i guess is saving us money, but I do miss those early years at OKW and the difference factor you found from one resort to another.

I wish they would fire their decorators. Not a beach theme whatsoever.

That studio photo looks like the tv/table set up at VWL. So if you open up the murphy bed, you don't have a table.

Touche!

One thing I love is resort hopping, since they have done such a great job of themeing them, and capturing that theme. Heck, the feel changes between the beach club and the yacht club, and they are connected. It is one thing disney just nails.

But the interiors are not looking so good. I love wilderness lodge, but the refurb pics I have seen look awful.

That is not a beachy look at all

Bought BCV because we love the location. Never been thrilled with the beach theme (Boardwalk isn't our thing either).

LOVE the new design and couldn't be more pleased.

Bought BCV because we love the location. Never been thrilled with the beach theme (Boardwalk isn't our thing either).

LOVE the new design and couldn't be more pleased.

I actually do like the new design and as a owner am pretty excited about it. Just really put off by the table in the studio......chairs are cool though.

I wish they would fire their decorators. Not a beach theme whatsoever.

That studio photo looks like the tv/table set up at VWL. So if you open up the murphy bed, you don't have a table.

I agree, the elements that made the resorts unique with theming is what Disney was all about. Another disappointment.

:earsboy: Bill

The new refrub is not ugly it just not go with the theme of the Beach Club. It is like having a pair of mismatched socks. I mean if you built it to look like a beach Club and for years maintained that theme through out then why change the interior to a nice but generic theme. It just shows me Disney is buying in bulk to save money and the heck with the theme on the outside and how you advertise it to all. They should keep the theme true to its design and exterior. I for one am deeply disappointed.....smjj

The new refrub is not ugly it just not go with the theme of the Beach Club. It is like having a pair of mismatched socks. I mean if you built it to look like a beach Club and for years maintained that theme through out then why change the interior to a nice but generic theme. It just shows me Disney is buying in bulk to save money and the heck with the theme on the outside and how you advertise it to all. They should keep the theme true to its design and exterior. I for one am deeply disappointed.....smjj

I agree with you about the theming. Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to "get" the theming at BWV and BCV as it is. Most seem to be disappointed by the shabbiness and complain about the mismatched furniture and the lack of theme. Apparently they have listened to the complaints and have decided to go with a sophisticated palette. People seem to expect this in a "deluxe" accommodation which they delivered in VGF. I just hope they use quality materials and properly prepare surfaces to be painted but I expect to be disappointed.....

Bingo! I keep selling points because of this attitude Disney has. They've done it at HHI as well and it taints the experience.

I wish the reno was going to be more beachy....... Not like bay lake towers. I live in Newport RI a beach community and this resort remodel is anything but a beach make over.

We're Beach Club owners, and I love the new look. Then again, we bought for the location and never liked the current decorations. So, I'm happy with the upcoming change.

I also have 3 kids and will gladly squeeze into a studio.:thumbsup2

I like the look of the renovation too although I do agree it's a bit "sterile". I assume they are going to redecorate the bathrooms, specifically re-tile the showers, as the current design wouldn't seem to fit the new theme. Not sure if they go to that level, though, with the hard goods refurbishments.

I assume they are going to redecorate the bathrooms, specifically re-tile the showers, as the current design wouldn't seem to fit the new theme. Not sure if they go to that level, though, with the hard goods refurbishments.

Someone did report that they were told at the resort that they were indeed doing tile work. We can only hope. I've seen too many complaints about chipped tile and it's needed.

I don't care what the actual theme is in a resort but bathrooms should look clean and sterile, not dingy like they often do.

Bingo! I keep selling points because of this attitude Disney has. They've done it at HHI as well and it taints the experience.

Even some CMs at HHI would agree with you. When we were at HHI last month, one prominent CM (who'll remain nameless so he doesn't get in trouble with the PTB there) said to me "Hmph, the original theme of this resort was supposed to be a fishing camp. Now it looks more like Florida condos, circa 1980s." And lots of us, both CMs and guests, really miss Shadow's pawprints in the villas there.

Will the refurbishment begin or be finished by March 2015?

That's what I'm wondering too. Actually I'm specifically wondering if it will be all done before the F&W. BCV is very popular at that time, and it wouldn't make sense to have rooms out of service, being refusbished then. Also, we're excited as it is, and getting to experience a "new" room woule get us more excited.:yay:

We are staying there the last week in April. I'm wondering how this will effect those staying there. Is it going to be a mess?

Has anyone stayed at a DVC while it was undergoing refurbishment?

Thanks!

We are staying there the last week in April. I'm wondering how this will effect those staying there. Is it going to be a mess?

Has anyone stayed at a DVC while it was undergoing refurbishment?

Thanks!

Usually a block of rooms are remodeled at a time. I doubt it would affect guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter