2022 Winter Olympics NBC/CBC events thread

Short track. I think EVERY SINGLE RACE so far this morning has had penalties, falls, disqualifications, and/or false starts.

Commentators say the ice isn’t the best, due to figure skating last night.

Still, there is something inherently flawed in this sport.

Ugh!!!! I keep falling asleep and miss some of the events. Fell asleep right before the US ice skating dance pair went on and then also missed the skiing right after Shiffrin fell.

I have all the coverage being recorded on Youtube TV. I come home and pop it on. I get up at 4:20 AM for work so watching at night is not in the cards. I actually prefer to know the outcome ahead of time as well so I can prepare myself.

Another disappointing night for team USA but more medal rounds for team USA starting live tonight at 9pm ET.

We’ve been watching a lot of the coverage, switching between NBC and USA network. Love all of it: skiing, skating, snowboarding, luge, curling, etc.

Did anyone see the free ski Big Air event? The athletes are truly amazing; they make it look so effortless. However, I found the venue, in an industrial area right next to a nuclear power plant, kind of weird and creepy. The contrast between the white snow and the huge reactors (painted with the Olympic logo) is really off-putting. JMHO. :scared:

We’ve been watching a lot of the coverage, switching between NBC and USA network. Love all of it: skiing, skating, snowboarding, luge, curling, etc.

Did anyone see the free ski Big Air event? The athletes are truly amazing; they make it look so effortless. However, I found the venue, in an industrial area right next to a nuclear power plant, kind of weird and creepy. The contrast between the white snow and the huge reactors (painted with the Olympic logo) is really off-putting. JMHO. :scared:

I noticed. In Korea in 2018 it was similar. It looked like they just built the slope in a big parking lot.

They might have been cheaping it out when they could with some of the venues, since the Olympics are notorious for leaving large venues to simply rot once the games are over. There are plenty of photos of abandoned Olympic venues on the internet, some of whch were very large and expensive but are now just rusting hulks. China probably just built something temporary that could do the job and then be torn down.

Short track. I think EVERY SINGLE RACE so far this morning has had penalties, falls, disqualifications, and/or false starts.

Commentators say the ice isn’t the best, due to figure skating last night.

Still, there is something inherently flawed in this sport.
Our Mixed relay got jobbed the other night. They put China through who eventually won. They tagged us for obstruction simply for being somewhere rather than actually obstructing anyone.

Make the hill a lot bigger and have them jump over the cooling towers......... I think by having it on the site of a former steel mill, they thought it would show off sustainability. But it absolutely looks dystopian. I wonder where they got the water from to make that snow and what contaminants if any are in it. The Chinese aren't exactly the most environmentally conscious government around.

Our Mixed relay got jobbed the other night. They put China through who eventually won. They tagged us for obstruction simply for being somewhere rather than actually obstructing anyone.

I saw, and the commentators made mention of it again today. First, in one of the men’s semi-finals, two Koreans were disqualified which allowed two Chinese skaters to advance to the finals. Those two were joined by another Chinese skater plus two Hungarian brothers who happen to be half-Chinese.

Second, one of the Hungarians won the final. Then there was a LONG delay before he was disqualified which made the second place Chinese skater the gold medal winner.

In the women’s races, both of the hyped US skaters flamed out.

They are cooling towers from a closed steel mill not a nuclear power plant. This is the first permanent facility for big air in the world and it is built on the site of the former Shougang steel mill that was closed before the 2008 Games.

So sad that Vincent Zhou tested positive for COVID and had to withdraw from the mens figure skating finals. Does this mean Ilia will be there?

I saw, and the commentators made mention of it again today. First, in one of the men’s semi-finals, two Koreans were disqualified which allowed two Chinese skaters to advance to the finals. Those two were joined by another Chinese skater plus two Hungarian brothers who happen to be half-Chinese.

Second, one of the Hungarians won the final. Then there was a LONG delay before he was disqualified which made the second place Chinese skater the gold medal winner.

In the women’s races, both of the hyped US skaters flamed out.

In the womens 500 a Canadian skater got DQ'd for flinging a marker into another skater when the Chinese skater did it!!

I just saw the races you describe. The Semi our guy was in and crossed 4th, the Chinese guy and another guy sandwiched a skater. The Chinese guy didn't get penalized!!! The other guy did.

In the womens 500 a Canadian skater got DQ'd for flinging a marker into another skater when the Chinese skater did it!!

I just saw the races you describe. The Semi our guy was in and crossed 4th, the Chinese guy and another guy sandwiched a skater. The Chinese guy didn't get penalized!!! The other guy did.

The male commentator strongly hinted at biased judging, but the female was hesitant to go that far. Yet.

I saw your comment in the figure skating thread about installing ramps and letting the skaters fly. Sounds good.

Short track is sometimes described as roller derby on ice. Maybe the skaters should be allowed to push, shove, elbow to the stomach, fist to the head, etc. The three Chinese dudes could have ganged up on the two Hungarian brothers and eliminate them, thereby ensuring a Chinese medal sweep.

Long track speedskating. Very disappointing. :(

Not the racers. The starting announcer. In past Olympics there was a very distinct voice that said “Redd-dee.”

The current announcer’s “ready” is so bland and boring.

That's not why she was DQ'ed. She was DQ'ed because her attempted pass forced her to change lanes and she impeded the Chinese skater. The skater that fell because of the lane marker was advanced to the next round, the Chinese skater was not.

Team Canada seems to be having more success this Olympics than team USA at the moment. I’m kind of surprised at the moment. Is the lack of success more due to COVID-19 or just how our athletes have been preforming in general? 🤔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter