2022 Winter Olympics NBC/CBC events thread

I really don't think Shaun White was realistically expected to win gold again, but NBC hype virtually guaranteed it.

Even before Christmas NBC and USA Network were running ads saying Michaela Shriffrin could win 5 golds. That's totally ridiculous and unfair to her.

Another overhyped US athlete, short track Maame Biney, has proven to be a total bust so far.

Nathan Chen is the only one to live up to NBC's demands so far,

Did anyone see the free ski Big Air event? The athletes are truly amazing; they make it look so effortless. However, I found the venue, in an industrial area right next to a nuclear power plant, kind of weird and creepy. The contrast between the white snow and the huge reactors (painted with the Olympic logo) is really off-putting. JMHO. :scared:

I actually like the industrial setting of the Big Air jump.

I'm less impressed with the event itself. Just one maneuver. Ho hum. Other X Game events in the Olympics have multiple stunts and are much more spectacular.

Another thing I don't like is the scenes of athletes' families watching at home. :crazy2: BARF!!

There's no real way to know how many are actually watching the games. I have watched almost everything I've seen through streaming and rarely turn on a single TV channel. Streaming and online is hard if not impossible to measure.
Streaming viewing is routinely measured. Your streaming service/Internet/cellular provider sells that data. Nielsen started measuring streaming viewership last year. One of their competitors, Comscore, has been measuring streaming and online viewership for several years.
@Buzz Rules
https://ps.extremereach.com/blog/making-it-count-nielsen-starts-measuring-streaming-viewing/#:~:text=Nielsen has been measuring television,and report estimated TV viewership.&text=According to Nielsen, in houses,is done on those platforms.

There is talk that Nielsen may get into providing streaming ratings of some kind, but I don't know that all of the big companies are on board with that yet. One thing to remember about ratings though - it's not about how many people watch the programming, but rather how many people see the ads.
See my post above. Nielson started tracking streaming last year. Their competitor Comscore has done it for several eyars.

Wasn't the old Nielson rating done based on a sampling of viewers that either filled out at survey or had a box attached to their television? I didn't think they had a way to actually know the exact number.

Estimating viewership based on streaming should be easier since you know who many unique streams you are serving at any given time. It will also not be perfect but it has to be a closer estimate than the sampling that used to be done, no?

We’ve been watching a lot of the coverage, switching between NBC and USA network. Love all of it: skiing, skating, snowboarding, luge, curling, etc.

Did anyone see the free ski Big Air event? The athletes are truly amazing; they make it look so effortless. However, I found the venue, in an industrial area right next to a nuclear power plant, kind of weird and creepy. The contrast between the white snow and the huge reactors (painted with the Olympic logo) is really off-putting. JMHO. :scared:

They were cooling towers from steel furnaces I believe. Nuclear power plants have cooling towers as well, at least the vast majority of the time, but many industrial processes require them.

Another thing I don't like is the scenes of athletes' families watching at home. :crazy2: BARF!!

Worse, I've noticed that in some of the homes/bars/community centers, there are large banners on the wall advertising Delta or Toyota. I'm sure they told these people, "Hey, you gotta put this banner on the wall since you're gonna be on TV." Good old NBC - never miss a chance to make a buck.

Worse, I've noticed that in some of the homes/bars/community centers, there are large banners on the wall advertising Delta or Toyota. I'm sure they told these people, "Hey, you gotta put this banner on the wall since you're gonna be on TV." Good old NBC - never miss a chance to make a buck.
The pop out commercials annoy me but that’s part of the times. USMNT games get that treatment with FOX. I can only imagine the outrage when the World Cup happens with their coverage.

Wasn't the old Nielson rating done based on a sampling of viewers that either filled out at survey or had a box attached to their television? I didn't think they had a way to actually know the exact number.

Estimating viewership based on streaming should be easier since you know who many unique streams you are serving at any given time. It will also not be perfect but it has to be a closer estimate than the sampling that used to be done, no?
Yes, used to be dairies filled out by hand by the viewers who were paid to track their viewing habits. Then they added boxes to your TV that monitored what you were watching. Eventually they added sensors to those boxes to count how many people were actually watching.

Ski Jump - you pretty much die or get gravely injured if you mess that one up...that's why mess ups almost never happen (I think only one person had a mishap between last Olympics and this one)...it's also why Eddie the Eagle was a thing back in the day - officials REALLY don't want folks who aren't 100% elite going down these things in competition b/c of the lethal risk...

In the 3 I mentioned though, you're traveling a good 60 MPH with nothing protecting you other than a helmet. Crash into the wall the wrong way and you're done for.

I actually love to watch the families. These families have sacrificed for their children to make it to the Olympics and they should be there in person to watch but were not allowed to travel. Many of the athletes are sponsored by Delta, Toyota or others so the families understand they need to advertise for the company. To me the Olympics are all about the human interest stories as well as the competitions.

In the 3 I mentioned though, you're traveling a good 60 MPH with nothing protecting you other than a helmet. Crash into the wall the wrong way and you're done for.
Same in ski jump, the difference being in the sliding sports you're going along a sheet of ice designed to be slid on. In ski jumping you're falling out of the air. And in Bobsleigh, you're inside a vehicle.

I wonder what the most dangerous sport is....luge, skeleton or bobsled.

Looking it up.

At the last Olympics
1. Ski half pipe.
2. Snowboard cross
3. Ski cross
4. snowboard slopestyle
5. freestyle skiing aerials.
6. Alpine skiing
7. Bobsled
8. ski slopestyle
9. Ice hockey
10. Short track speed skating
11. Snowboard half pipe.
12. Snowboard big air
13. Long track speed skating
14. Luge
15. Figure skating
16. Skeleton

As it turns out, multiple people going down the course at the same time leads to injuries. The cross comes in at 2 and 3 respectively.

What’s everyone watching tonight? Team USA events tonight are snowboarding, hockey, cross country skiing, and curling on NBC and USA network starting at 9pm ET.

Same in ski jump, the difference being in the sliding sports you're going along a sheet of ice designed to be slid on. In ski jumping you're falling out of the air. And in Bobsleigh, you're inside a vehicle.

The only death I remember recently was luge (the Georgian In Vancouver).

Gold medal in mixed team snowboarding cross for team USA. The hockey game is awesome too with team USA leading Canada 2-1.

My family randomly got a survey years ago. We weren't an official family with a box that monitored our viewing, but they included a $2 bill with the survey. We didn't have to fill it out, but I guess that was their good faith.

However, I know a few people who still watch over the air using an antenna and don't really use any streaming services. However, Nielsen still tracks with set top boxes along with tie ins that track a family's streaming. It sounds like they work with cable/satellite operators to aggregate that data. However, the viewing habits of over the air viewers is likely different. They don't say anything about over the air viewing though.

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/solutions/measurement/television/

Linday Jacobellis wins second Gold in mixed (male and female) snowboard cross race. I’m glad she finally redeemed herself after 16 long years.

Now go away and let the kids play, old lady. 😉

Egads!!!

Germany has won EVERY event in ice sliding so far.

Luge
Women’s
Men’s
Men’s Doubles
Mixed Team Relay

Skeleton
Women’s
Men’s

And they’re very strong in bobsled too.

Very impressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter