YOUR intrepretation of "quiet" pool

All of which reminds me a bit about a swim club that we had a membership in a long while back in Baltimore. Nothing quiet for sure, but they had an "adult corral"--a fenced off area with lounge chairs, etc where at least you had a fair chance of not getting hit in the head with a frisbee or softball. And twice a day, they had a 1/2 hour adult swim--where they cleared the entire pool of kids and you should have a great chance of swimming without the chicken fights and cannonball jumpers. Trouble was it took almost the entire 1/2 hour to get the kids out!! So there never was a swim!!
Anyway-back to WDW, where if we find the quiet (leisure, unguarded secondary) pool full of acting out kids and or adults--we just get in our car and try to find another spot.

I think people are getting hung up by the term "quiet pool". They never have been quiet. They are more local pools spread out through the larger resorts so families with small kids or just guest do not have to trek all the way up to the larger theme pools. Indeed Disney nolonger refers to them as quiet pools. Now don't get me wrong, We would never let our kids and now our grandkids get too rowdy but hey its a pool and kids are going to want to make a little noise. We have never had anyone get on us and we have never got on anyone due to noise but for those wanting to lounge or nap by the "local pool" with little or no noise, well maybe you need to nap in your room. Its not realistic to be a Disney and not expect kids to be all around you...smjj

I have always thought Disney's quiet pools just means NOT the main pool. Meaning, it will be quiter there with less people, since most people seek out the main pool, that usually has a water slide, ect.

I never assumed quiet actually meant quiet.

All of which reminds me a bit about a swim club that we had a membership in a long while back in Baltimore. Nothing quiet for sure, but they had an "adult corral"--a fenced off area with lounge chairs, etc where at least you had a fair chance of not getting hit in the head with a frisbee or softball. And twice a day, they had a 1/2 hour adult swim--where they cleared the entire pool of kids and you should have a great chance of swimming without the chicken fights and cannonball jumpers. Trouble was it took almost the entire 1/2 hour to get the kids out!! So there never was a swim!!
Anyway-back to WDW, where if we find the quiet (leisure, unguarded secondary) pool full of acting out kids and or adults--we just get in our car and try to find another spot.

Our town pond has done this since I was a kid! The lifeguard blows the whistle and everyone under 18 had to get out.
It's 'adult swim" time for 30 minutes. Hated it as a kid, then when I took my kids, resented it, because my kids were little, and I could not leave them on the beach to take advantage of it! LOL

I think people are getting hung up by the term "quiet pool". They never have been quiet. They are more local pools spread out through the larger resorts so families with small kids or just guest do not have to trek all the way up to the larger theme pools. Indeed Disney nolonger refers to them as quiet pools. Now don't get me wrong, We would never let our kids and now our grandkids get too rowdy but hey its a pool and kids are going to want to make a little noise. We have never had anyone get on us and we have never got on anyone due to noise but for those wanting to lounge or nap by the "local pool" with little or no noise, well maybe you need to nap in your room. Its not realistic to be a Disney and not expect kids to be all around you...smjj

I agree smjj:thumbsup2

So basically what some are saying, is "I want to nap or read in a common space shared by all resort guests and I want it to be quiet" :confused3
That is what your Villa is for, complete with balcony or SSR has a spa. I think this expectation is as rude as the parents that allow their kids to be totally unruly. During the day, the Villa pools are bustling especially during the summer months.

That's as bad as the young lady who expected us to remove our meat from the sizzling grill, because they wanted to cook their dinner and they didnt want to go to another section to do it. I kindly told her where she could put those steaks!:hippie:

Again I dont condone rude behavior from children or adults but Disney manages expectations and there is no reasonable expecatation of quiet at the resort pools, therefore they no longer call them that and have not for years. We Disers still call them that and maybe that is the biggest problem.

Interesting... I always thought "quiet" meant "quiet". Now I know what "quiet" really means...no lifeguard, no slide... so that makes my HOUSE quiet...NOT! ;)
I agree with you and disagree with most of the posts. Quiet to me means quiet. Plenty of places for young ones to scream and jump around "quiet pools" should be kept quiet, does this mean no children, NO it just means try to keep it down a little so people have a place to unwind and read a book or just sunbath without being in the middle of a play ground. Of course many parents can't read the sign that says no children in the hot tubs. Mostbof us are considerate of our fellow vacationers, if everyone was there would not be a discussion. But there is always that one family that thinks everything thier kids do is cute and the world revolves around them. Hot tubs are not for doing cannon balls and quiet pools should be kept a little quieter. JUST MHO

Before I'm shown the error of my ways for previous post wanting "quiet" at the quiet pools I am aware that DVC, at least at SSR refers to them as liesure pools. By deffinition leisure does not mean quiet, unless you look a little deeper and get a deffinition as used by different cultures. In the US leisure is deffined as "relaxing or time off" such as a leiurely stroll or a day of leisure.
For the record I raised a few kids of my own and love watching little ones play, just think parents need to be considerate of those folks around them, if I'm at the main pool I expect a LOT of noise but even there I expect children to be as respectful of those nearby as I always made sure my children were.

Before I'm shown the error of my ways for previous post wanting "quiet" at the quiet pools I am aware that DVC, at least at SSR refers to them as liesure pools. By deffinition leisure does not mean quiet, unless you look a little deeper and get a deffinition as used by different cultures. In the US leisure is deffined as "relaxing or time off" such as a leiurely stroll or a day of leisure.
For the record I raised a few kids of my own and love watching little ones play, just think parents need to be considerate of those folks around them, if I'm at the main pool I expect a LOT of noise but even there I expect children to be as respectful of those nearby as I always made sure my children were.

Courtesy and consideration for others should always be a priority and I think children learn this by watching their parents. If the parents seem to feel "anything goes" then it's not surprising when the kids adopt the same attitude.

But the un-themed pools will never be ideal for sleeping or reading unless one can block out a certain amount of ambient noise anyway. Children, or anyone for that matter, playing in a pool are going to make noise. I'd agree that unruly behavior should be curtailed, but anyone expecting a quiet snooze or read is almost always going to be disappointed and the fault will not lie with "noisy" people but with unrealistic expectations in the first place.

we've been on 2 disney cruises, & both times there were quite a few kids in the adult pool, parents sitting on the side (when approached by a CM, the response was that the family pool was too crowded, & they paid a lot of money, ya-da, yada :sad2: ).

we wound up never using the pool b/c it was too crowded, rather went up to the top deck to relax.

but basking in the hot sun, listening to raggae music while sipping a tropical drink (yeah, it had an umbrella!! :thumbsup2 ) beats going in a noisy, crowded pool anyday :beach:

I've been on two Disney cruises and have never seen a kid in the adult pool - or out a serinity bay. We've spent a bit of time there as well. Guess we've been luckier.

(I've never seen anyone kicked out, either)

Courtesy and consideration for others should always be a priority and I think children learn this by watching their parents. If the parents seem to feel "anything goes" then it's not surprising when the kids adopt the same attitude.

But the un-themed pools will never be ideal for sleeping or reading unless one can block out a certain amount of ambient noise anyway. Children, or anyone for that matter, playing in a pool are going to make noise. I'd agree that unruly behavior should be curtailed, but anyone expecting a quiet snooze or read is almost always going to be disappointed and the fault will not lie with "noisy" people but with unrealistic expectations in the first place.
I agree although reading my own post it's hard to see. I don't really expect quiet just quieter than the main pools, and if I'm sitting on the edge I would like to not get splashed as much, as at the main pool where I do expect more noise and splashing. Believe me my idea of quiet leaves plenty of room for some fun..

I just think that there are more adults out there who are DVC members and not traveling with kids or grandkids and would just like ONE area that could be set aside for those who want to read, swim and sunbathe is that alot to ask for? One area out of all the space at each resort not every "local" pool as some have said but just "ONE".

It is not an issue at VWL since, per the web site, the pool by the villas is not identified as a "quiet pool." It is just a pool. Any time kids are allowed to use a pool "quiet" is not a reasonable expectation.

I just think that there are more adults out there who are DVC members and not traveling with kids or grandkids and would just like ONE area that could be set aside for those who want to read, swim and sunbathe is that alot to ask for? One area out of all the space at each resort not every "local" pool as some have said but just "ONE".

I think you may be right, but it would be up to those who value such an option to let Disney know they desire it. My own preference would be to add this feature rather than take something away from families so everyone could win.

In fact, while thinking about this thread earlier today (as if I don't spend enough time actually on the boards), I was pondering if DVC ought to consider an entire Adults-only resort. I'm sure there would be a market for it.

Dirk

I will agree that quiet means quiet and I understand the meaning of quiet, that is not the issue here.

The issue here is people are trying to hang their expectations on an antiquated term that Disney has not used for years.

Disney does not use the term quiet anymore, because it gave a false expectation. You will be hard pressed to view any current resort map and find the term "quiet pool". Therefore, lets stop using the term and building false expectations. Im all for moderating behavior, but I am not for turning the Villa pools into libraries or serenity bay and Im not up for confrontation either because this is what some people expect.

And for the record, I have been on 3 DCL cruises, and have never had a problem with children in the adult area or at Serenity Bay either.:cloud9:

Just one little tiny pool area! DH & I can even share a chase! Honestly adding a small area at each resort would be like changing a light bulb for Disney! I too have been to serenity bay an the adult only pool on DCL and have never had a problem. On our last cruise there was someone there who actually asked for ages if it was even a possibility of age. It was great as you could stay by the pool relax and hit the spa within a couple of steps. Leave a leisure pool just add a small area for those who need a little down time. Oh & yes I have contacted DVC as well as some of my fellow memebers especially the poor woman who I know had a child with a cloth diaper ( used) swimming by her! YUCK![/B]

When we were there in Feb. the cm checking us in stated that we would be next to the quiet pool. I informed her that I had a toddler and needed to be near the main pool.She told me that all children were welcome and it just meant that it was a smaller, non-themed pool.

Not sure if anyone else cares ;) but I checked two old Birnbaum's I have. I still can't find my 1984 edition which is driving me nuts. But I did check 1994 and 2004.

I read both the general sections on swimming pools toward the back of the books as well as the resort specific sections as pertains to DVC properties in the 2004 edition. Read all of them in 1994 edition. If anyone wants me to check another resort in the 2004, I'll be glad to do so.

Anyway, in the 2004 the pools are referred to as additional at OKW and unguarded at Y&BC/BCV and BWV/BWI. SSR describes only one pool of course and just has a drawing of the resort. WL/VWL comes closest to the words quiet pools but must be taken in context. After a general discussion of the "main pool" it says" Fire Rock Geyser erupts on the hour from early morning until 10pm. The Hidden Springs pool near the Villas provides a quieter alternative." However, in the general swimming section it just refers to WL as having two pools and OKW as having "four swimming holes."

Both the specific resort info and the general swimming section at the back of the 1994 edition do refer to two quiet pools at the YC & BC. But that is the only resort listed that way. Others are just called additional pools. It is fun to see the word villasrefer to the Village Resort and OKW called the Disney Vaction Club (the only true DVC as Richyams would say).

I also find it interesting that in 1994, pool hopping was still encouraged in the book for the most part. CR and Swolphin are listed as the best for lap swimming. Disney Inn guests are encouraged to go to the Polynesian for "beach action." "There's no charge for admission, towels or chairs anywhere, except at River Country and Typhoon Lagoon." But the beginning of the end had started by then. "The pools at the Y&BC, PO and DL are open to guests of those hotels only." Abbreviations are mine.

Not sure if anyone else cares ;) but I checked two old Birnbaum's I have. I still can't find my 1984 edition which is driving me nuts. But I did check 1994 and 2004.

I read both the general sections on swimming pools toward the back of the books as well as the resort specific sections as pertains to DVC properties in the 2004 edition. Read all of them in 1994 edition. If anyone wants me to check another resort in the 2004, I'll be glad to do so.

Anyway, in the 2004 the pools are referred to as additional at OKW and unguarded at Y&BC/BCV and BWV/BWI. SSR describes only one pool of course and just has a drawing of the resort. WL/VWL comes closest to the words quiet pools but must be taken in context. After a general discussion of the "main pool" it says" Fire Rock Geyser erupts on the hour from early morning until 10pm. The Hidden Springs pool near the Villas provides a quieter alternative." However, in the general swimming section it just refers to WL as having two pools and OKW as having "four swimming holes."

Both the specific resort info and the general swimming section at the back of the 1994 edition do refer to two quiet pools at the YC & BC. But that is the only resort listed that way. Others are just called additional pools. It is fun to see the word villasrefer to the Village Resort and OKW called the Disney Vaction Club (the only true DVC as Richyams would say).

I also find it interesting that in 1994, pool hopping was still encouraged in the book for the most part. CR and Swolphin are listed as the best for lap swimming. Disney Inn guests are encouraged to go to the Polynesian for "beach action." "There's no charge for admission, towels or chairs anywhere, except at River Country and Typhoon Lagoon." But the beginning of the end had started by then. "The pools at the Y&BC, PO and DL are open to guests of those hotels only." Abbreviations are mine.
I think you'll find that the pools were mostly labeled as quiet on maps and little other places.

Agreed. I don't think many maps/signs/ etc. still use "quiet pool" though I'm sure some do. I've seen "community" or "neighborhood" pool used much more frequently.

We've had discussions in the past about the idea of an "adult pool" or even an resort with an "adult section." And I don't think it would be a bad thing if Disney took a part of the Grand Floridian and made it a kid-free spot. We love our kids - but one of the really cool things about DCL is being able to get away from kids.

I honestly don't even remember seeing the word "quiet" on any signs or maps. I've seen neighborhood and leisure I believe. I think I may have heard the term "quiet pool" on the Dis boards for the first time.

To me, it means smaller pool without a lifegaurd. I never took it to mean "kid-free" even back before I had kids! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter