What will be your breaking point? Resort fees?

I don't think there will be one particular breaking point for me. As long as I enjoy myself I'll go. But I am cutting back on my trips due to cost. Last year for the first time we only went on one trip instead of 2 or 3. This year may be the same. If there is an actual breaking point for me, it will most likely be because of the Canadian dollar. :crazy2:

Parking fees don't affect us as we always fly in & never rent a car. This is the first year in a long time that we did not get free dining though and that stings a little. (doesn't fall in our dates) But we've adjusted. We go every other year now instead of every year and we are staying at a value this fall instead of a moderate.

I’m AP holder, we stopped staying onsite and are able to visit longer and even more than before, offsite savings allows us to do more trips or longer ones, even dining have change with the savings we can do more TS inside and outside Disney property, because we always drive and have a car free parking is a must. As AP we have free park parking, when Disney adds a parking fee to the resorts I personally felt the value of AP went down. Obviously for people flying in, Disney inflated prices are still good value, the value would disappear if they were charged for Magical Express or Transportation. Disney already selling extra hours events and last summer they cut the nighttime park hours. Little by little the perks of staying onsite are reduce to a place with nice themed rooms and hallways. The 60 days window for fastpass isn’t enough to justify the extra money.

We've already adjusted - we went every two years for a while and now haven't been in five (partly though because the kids are older and there are just more other options). We'll probably do a split stay, onsite and offsite. We used to do a split between Pop and moderates (CBR or cabins) but the moderates in general have gotten ridiculously expensive (we may go to CSR for two days as deals are okay this year due to construction). We will cut down on table service restaurants - given the current prices tips alone cost almost as much as the whole meal at an offsite location. We'll stay a shorter time and spend some days at Universal.

The parking fees bother me on principle even though we probably won't have a car. Honestly, if I had the money to stay at a deluxe and needed a car, the parking fees would make me cancel my booking (no matter if I had more money - it is ridiculous to charge those prices and parking on top in an area where space is not at a premium).

The only reason I plan on staying onsite is because I don't want to drive. We'll see how this trip goes. If we have a great time we might go again but probably not for a while unless prices come down.

I think I am pretty much at my breaking point now. I've been on the edge for a while now (took a 3 year break from late 2013-early 2017 after doing once or twice a year trips since 2002). The new parking fee, while not a huge expense, just doesn't sit right with me and I don't feel the resorts are worth what they charge now so any additional fees are just ludicrous to me.

We have zero intentions of staying off-site so that means we will just skip Disney altogether in favor of other vacations. Not saying we won't ever go back, but our once or twice a year trips are over. We'll likely visit every three to four years now. We have a trip planned this month, but after this the absolute soonest we will go back is Thanksgiving 2020 or 2021.

Also, if they discontinue the military salute deals then our trips would likely spread out even more.

Already reached it. It wasn't even one thing that Disney did. We were "in the bubble" proponents for 20+ years. You couldn't talk me out of it. Last trip we knew we wanted to rent a car for a couple of days and do some of the non-Disney parks so we booked a split stay in the FW cabins and AoA suites. About a day after we booked, we got an offer from one of the off-site resorts. Since we were going to go to non-Disney parks for that part of the trip anyway, we (reluctantly for me) took that and cancelled the cabin. I spent the first part of that week anxious to get back to the bubble. That's when we calculated and realized several things:

1. Just for the 3 nights we stayed offsite, we saved enough money vs. the cabins (including paying for parking and the rental car) to return to FL later that same year. We have never been able to go more than every other year before.

2. After being anxious to be back in the bubble, I realized how bad the bus transportation had gotten - and how much nicer it was to get into a nice, air conditioned car after a full day in the parks instead of being squashed onto crowded, smelly buses. Not to mention you didn't have to stand around for 20-30 minutes waiting for that bus to show up.

3. Having a full kitchen and washer/dryer in the unit was AMAZING! As was having a full screened-in patio. All for about a third of the cost of an AoA suite or cabin.

This was all right before Disney announced the dog policy, the parking fees, and the room checks. If I was on the edge of seeing any benefit to staying onsite, those announcements pretty much nixed that. We're staying onsite for one last hurrah in November, mainly because we got an amazing deal for the Poly, but I doubt we'll stay onsite again unless Disney comes WAY down in cost.

Already reached it. It wasn't even one thing that Disney did. We were "in the bubble" proponents for 20+ years. You couldn't talk me out of it. Last trip we knew we wanted to rent a car for a couple of days and do some of the non-Disney parks so we booked a split stay in the FW cabins and AoA suites. About a day after we booked, we got an offer from one of the off-site resorts. Since we were going to go to non-Disney parks for that part of the trip anyway, we (reluctantly for me) took that and cancelled the cabin. I spent the first part of that week anxious to get back to the bubble. That's when we calculated and realized several things:

1. Just for the 3 nights we stayed offsite, we saved enough money vs. the cabins (including paying for parking and the rental car) to return to FL later that same year. We have never been able to go more than every other year before.

2. After being anxious to be back in the bubble, I realized how bad the bus transportation had gotten - and how much nicer it was to get into a nice, air conditioned car after a full day in the parks instead of being squashed onto crowded, smelly buses. Not to mention you didn't have to stand around for 20-30 minutes waiting for that bus to show up.

3. Having a full kitchen and washer/dryer in the unit was AMAZING! As was having a full screened-in patio. All for about a third of the cost of an AoA suite or cabin.

This was all right before Disney announced the dog policy, the parking fees, and the room checks. If I was on the edge of seeing any benefit to staying onsite, those announcements pretty much nixed that. We're staying onsite for one last hurrah in November, mainly because we got an amazing deal for the Poly, but I doubt we'll stay onsite again unless Disney comes WAY down in cost.

Where did you stay offsite?

Where did you stay offsite?
The Sheraton Vistana - there are two and we've done both (one for each offsite trip). I want to try some of the other offsite hotels as well now. It's a new adventure! And much cheaper than working my way around all the Disney resorts.

And - because we're SPG members, we earned points for the second trip. If Disney says parking fees are "industry standard" then so are things like loyalty rewards - not credit card based.

I think it will get worse as we start to get near the 50th anniversary and Star Wars opening. Part of me wants to say the increases, new fees are not a extortion of our vacation dollars that give no added experiences, but it is. There still are many hotels, reasonably priced, that offer a breakfast and loyalty rewards that don't have parking fees in the area.

It's the total cost to me - doesn't matter if they call it parking fee, resort fee, wifi fee. I add it up and consider that the total cost of the room. $800 is an eye popping number for parking fees! I know there are onsite benefits, but if the total cost (including free dining (as a credit against the cost)) wasn't worth those benefits to me, then I'd go offsite. (Oop we'd eat about half the cost of the dining plan, and only drink tap water, so free dining isn't worth as much to us as others.)

Have you looked into the condos near Disney? You could rent at Windsor Hills a 6 bedroom, 5 bath house with pool and hot tub (and club house pool with 2 water slides) for $250+ a night (I'm sure xmas is higher). No parking fee but not sure if 5 cars allowed. Just an example. Its about a mile from Animal Kingdom, very easy drive to the other parks too. Near regular priced grocery store, McDonalds, Target, all chain restaurants. Just thought I'd mention that. You could rent 2 houses next to each other if you booked 6 or 9 months in advance I'd think.

Last edited:
If we go back and the Disney Springs resorts still offer the same important perks as on site (EMH, 180 ADR, 60 day FP+, bus transportation), then we would be staying at one of these resorts. We would get way more for our money and honestly in my opinion we aren't really giving anything up.

Magical express - saving more than enough money to add uber, shuttle or a car service.
Disney "Bubble" - still in the "bubble" for me.
Transportation - Shuttles run every 30 minutes.
Magic Bands - You can still use magic bands for your park admission and FP, honestly scanning a credit card takes the same amount of time as scanning a MB and entering a pin.
No Dining Plan - Only used it free a few times, no big deal for us.
Customer Service - I have had better "real" customer service at Hilton (and others) and can use rewards as well.

I can see us cutting out or at least cutting down on the parks long before the resorts, but as long as DVC continues to get good prices on APs we are still going to the parks daily. For us, if it is the choice between WDW at an offsite hotel or no WDW I would choose no WDW, I stay at enough chain hotels traveling for work, I won't stay in one at WDW.

We are actually much closer to being priced out of DL. We already stay offsite there, and this will be the last year that I will be able to justify the price of APs.

The bottom line cost relative to what I can afford, as always. I thought the parking fee would push onsite out of my budget for an upcoming trip, but WDW dropped AP rates at CBR and CSR significantly, making them more cost-effective, even with the parking fee added in, than my preferred offsite options. Other times of year, even before added parking fees, WDW was more expensive than my offsite options, so I went offsite. If an added resort fee pushed onsite out of my budget limits, than offsite it would be!

I definitely think that little things like additional fees, etc. do start to add up. I just stayed onsite for Christmas at Beach Club and trying to schedule another trip for next year. To think that now I'll have to pay parking to stay onsite definitely bums me out because there's no difference in the parking from when I was just there and it doesn't add any value to my stay. So to me, it's money out the window and whether it's an industry standard or not, is not the point. Would it keep me from going to Disney, definitely not. I've done onsite trips and offsite trips. I've enjoyed both to be honest. I like staying different places and keeping things fresh and new each time we go. I'd love to be able to go more often, but as prices rise we just can't, even if we stayed offsite. I don't know if I can ever say I'll hit a breaking point because I've been going since I've been a kid, and even though my kids are getting older, we all still enjoy going, and someday I hope to take my kids and grandkids. But I agree with other posters who made a point to say they don't have a program to reward "loyalty" and they are starting to price out enough families that instead of returning time and time again, some people are making it a "once in a lifetime" type trip. And that's what makes me sad.

My 2021 trip will be at the Swan/Dolphin the parking fees sort of pushed my button but I would not worry about the resort fee yet I am betting right now Iger and his minions are figuring out how to charge for all those deadbeats you know the infant to 3 year olds that are milking the system staying and eating for free.

We always compare the cost of staying on-site with all its wonderful conveniences, and staying off-site with a little more planning.

Off-site, 90% of the time, wins for us due to the sheer amount of savings (literally thousands of dollars for apples to apples). So to answer OP's question, I'll reach a "Disney" breaking point when the quality of the parks diminishes. Until then, we'll plan one trip per year to either WDW or DL, and do our best to optimize each vacation budget line item so as to not negatively impact the household's finances (baseline retirement savings and baseline short term savings trump vacations 100% of the time).

For me, I am still a good ways away from a breaking or tipping point. I sort of grumble and roll my eyes when costs go up every year, but largely accept it.

If hard-ticket and exclusive events continue to increase in frequency, than I believe the scales may begin to tip for me. I do not have any problem with them in principle (I'm going to MNSSHP for the second time this year), however they are exorbitantly expensive and in some cases close off whole parks. For example, the After Dark events where MK closes off so only a select few can go.

The hard-ticket event issue is probably a long way to being a tipping point for me, but I am concerned many simply shrug and accept the cost. For example, in regards to complaints about crowds or waiting for shows, many respond, to just go to a dessert party or After Hours event. The cost is high enough already!

If one chooses to, that is certainly there choice, but more and more one has a choice of either paying up, or missing out.

It's the total cost to me - doesn't matter if they call it parking fee, resort fee, wifi fee. I add it up and consider that the total cost of the room. $800 is an eye popping number for parking fees! I know there are onsite benefits, but if the total cost (including free dining) wasn't worth those benefits to me, then I'd go offsite.

Have you looked into the condos near Disney? You could rent at Windsor Hills a 6 bedroom, 5 bath house with pool and hot tub (and club house pool with 2 water slides) for $250+ a night (I'm sure xmas is higher). No parking fee but not sure if 5 cars allowed. Just an example. Its about a mile from Animal Kingdom, very easy drive to the other parks too. Near regular priced grocery store, McDonalds, Target, all chain restaurants. Just thought I'd mention that. You could rent 2 houses next to each other if you booked 6 or 9 months in advance I'd think.

I looked at off-site this year for the first time, and ultimately did not go in that direction. However, I was SHOCKED at how much less places off property are (as you indicated). I knew off property was less, but my jaw was really dropping when doing research. At the time we were thinking about standard room at the BC; and a two bedroom suite with prime viewing was slightly LESS at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for the same dates.

Due to being a graduate student I received a generous tax return this year, but for 2019's trip, we will need to head off property. Wish me luck convincing my family!!

Just curious, Started pricing out trip US, offsite-considerable drop in price compared to Disney.

Some Background-

I normally take both of my older kids a grand kids for Christmas, This year I have 5 rooms at CSR with the FD (Thank goodness)

Parking fees will add @ $800 bucks- really a drop in the bucket but its annoying to think of zero value for this fee. I also read that because of the new parking-traffic is backing up the resorts too- sound familiar? This was why ticket prices increase-crowd control (yea right)

So the next thing Disney will need is a "resort fee" to help unclog the traffic. I am almost at the point.

What will it take for you?

$800 for parking? I know the new fees are high but at that rate, might it make more sense to park at one of the offsite secured airport lots, they may have cheaper rates based on number of days/number of cars you're parking.

I don't know if we have a monetary breaking point at this time that's in any concrete form at this time. We do notice costs going up from year to year but to date they haven't deterred us from visiting. We drive so while I'm less than thrilled with the new parking fees, they are only for one car and to-date we've never had an onsite stay longer than 5 nights. I don't know what we'd do if it became cost prohibitive for us to visit since we love Disney. I really think we'd find additional sources to fund these trips, maybe cut down on some of our other non-disney trips, eat out a few times less/month, not sure exactly but pretty sure we'd "find" the money elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter