What will be your breaking point? Resort fees?

I used to visit every year or two and stay onsite for at least a week. We Skipped the last two years because of price increases and because of the bad exchange rate (we’re Canadians). Last year we decided to go to Universal instead and got an Annual pass because we loved it so much. It was a much better value.

Going to Disney again in March because we want to visit Galaxy’s Edge (were huge Star Wars fans) but will only stay 4 days instead of a full week. It’s just too expensive. Then we’re Going to Universal again for the rest of the trip (using our AP).

I will always remain a Disney fan but Disney is becoming more and more unaffordable for a middle class family like ours. I’ll most probably visit again when more new rides are built, but the visits will become more far in between!

If anyone listened to yesterday's show I think Pete really touched on a good point, the parks are empty, IDK about the resorts, but the parks aren't stacking up to what they thought they would/should be esp after SWGE opening. It's been interesting to see the drastic drop off from summer crowds. I think that there could be a slump in the economy and just hearing that may cause some folks to reign in discretionary spending like vacations. We usually do WDW 2-3x per year. I am hoping that the new trend will be some discounts, discounts and more discounts.

I do think that the longterm numbers will dictate what Disney does moving forward with more price hikes. If revenues stay up, with lower crowds, well then there is their sweet spot and nothing will change. But we just have to wait and see. I can see with confidence, prices going up doesn't stop us. :oops::P
September after Labor Day has always been a slower period. The true test will come in October, November and December.

we bought OKW in 1993 for 56 dollars a point and went every year since then. we sold it in january for 93 dollars a point. with inflation that was break even.

medical issues prompted this. My wife has some immobility but i developed an issue that can go sideways very fast. I am only comfortable booking something 4 months out. It costs a lot more to do it this way. But doing dvc at least from our experience requires early prior booking.

We couldn’t justify the price if my husband was not a Veteran. We stay at Shades of Green and get the military tickets. We booked a few sit down dinners this time and the prices are insane.

If we didn’t have those options we would not go. We both grew up going on Disney trips, but there are plenty of other places to go that don’t nickel and dime you.

Im coming close to a breaking point. Just dropped $12K into a 2 week vacation for 3. I enjoyed my time, but off site is looking better and better. We rent a car, so Disney transportation is not a perk to me. We get DxDDP and paying adult for my picky DD at age 11 stung a bit. Disney knows an 11 yo most likely wont order filet mignon. Seeing off site resorts so close to Disney where you can get a 1200+ sq villa for less than 1/2 the price 450 sq ft room at a Deluxe is starting to look more appealing to me.

As for the back up in traffic, I noticed the opposite. The parking lot at the Poly always had availability. This was NEVER the case in prior trips. I think less people are bringing cars due to the fees.

Room Features
  • 1296sqft/117sqm
  • Air-conditioned
  • This room is non-smoking
  • Connecting rooms are not available
  • Outdoor spaces: balcony (2)
  • Living/sitting area
  • Dining area
  • Living area is separated from bed by privacy wall
  • Windows may be opened
  • Total outdoor space: 140sqft/13sqm
https://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

Wyndham Bonnet Creek

https://www.wyndhambonnetcreek.com

Attachments

• 1568288330440.png
    1568288330440.png
    162 KB · Views: 2
For now we have not reached our breaking point. My wife values Disney too much to give it up. That said we have shifted from parks to Disney cruises as our preferred vacation. All the fun of Disney without the crowds of the park, and top notch service all around.

That said we just came back from 3 days at Disneyland in California and the super low crowds made it a great trip. That and staying at the Disneyland Hotel.

Crowds. If we get to a point where most days the parks are sold out a la July 4th or xmas, I would stop going. But money is no object!

For me, the question isn't whether or not WDW is too expensive, it's whether its too expensive to stay onsite for more than a few days.

For now, it's still worth it to me to be able to stay onsite. I've been to Florida so many times that I'm not really interested in a vacation there that doesn't involve Disney. I love being in the Disney Bubble. I love not needing to use a car the entire time I'm there (it makes it really easy when traveling, as I do, with a party of extended family members). I love the feeling that I get staying onsite, and a huge part of my vacation is relaxing at the resorts. I don't mind the planning that goes into a Disney trip, and we've been so many times that we're ok winging it with ADRs sometimes. These trips are not inexpensive, especially since we stay in deluxe or moderate resorts (with the odd few nights at a value at the beginning of a trip). But for many in my family, WDW is our happy place, and we find it worth it.

The only thing that would push me away would be if the parks were crazy crowded all the time. So far, I'm lucky that my schedule is flexible enough that I can 'chase' the moving times when crowds are low (used to be October, then early December, lately we've gone in August). I've gotten very lucky with discounted rooms because of the times of year we tend to go. I also don't do big Disney vacations with my DH and kids every year. My DH actually doesn't like Disney very much and has more limited vacation days than I do. So I bring my kids to WDW every three or so years or so for our annual 'big trip' that lasts a week or longer, and on other years, our 'big trip' is to a place where DH wants to go.

When I take my kids, my extended family tends to tag along. We had so much fun our first trip with my kids many years ago that now, on the 'off' years when I don't take my kids, I meet up at WDW with those siblings/parents/nieces are able to make it. We pick a slow time of year if possible and those trips are shorter (5 days usually). Staying for less time and being able to share a room with another adult and split costs makes the annual trips more affordable.

I would say WDW is still pretty affordable for middle class families if they travel differently than I do: stay offsite, eat some meals offsite, pack snacks to bring with them into the parks, drive instead of fly (not easy when we're talking outside of certain states), etc. I know anecdote isn't data, but that's how many of my friends visit Disney now that I'm an adult living in the mid-Atlantic. They go once every few years. They drive. They almost always stay offsite. They might spend a week or more in Florida, but half the time is spent visiting other parks, attractions, beaches and the like. They don't do Disney the way I do. That's also the way we visited WDW when I was growing up (didn't stay onsite until I was out of college), and how the vast majority of my friends visited. The only family I knew who went to WDW at least once every year (they usually went more often) and stayed onsite were wealthy.

Personally, I think the ability to have an 'affordable,' lengthly stay onsite with free dining and great resort values was a short-lived matter coming out of the 90s, when WDW was building its onsite capacity (and the economy was booming) and especially the early- to mid-2000s, when 9/11 and the recession led to Disney offering huge discounts to get people into the parks. As a business, they're going to keep trying to make money, and so far, that has meant raising costs as much as they can...and if people are willing to pay those costs, they won't bring them down. That said, I don't think they can keep raising costs at the rate they've been doing without seeing an impact. It will be interesting to see if the lower-than-anticipated crowds with the Star Wars opening thus far continue past the early fall slow season.

Last edited:
We are at the bendy point also. Disney has done a lot that doesn't lend itself to goodwill in my book: a truly horrific customer service incident at DL (the worst in my whole life at any place ever), a very noticeable drop in merchandise quality while raising the prices, dropping the moderates from the free DDP. They keep charging more, but taking away a little each trip. But our last trip was our first stay at a deluxe, and that kinda won me over again enough to book another trip simply because airfare had gone down and our Disney Visa points gave us a decent discount. Next time, we just may try off property, and it will definitely be a few years. I have a much easier time doling out $$$$ when I feel like I am getting some generosity, customer service, goodwill, and pixie dust in return.

For us, I think it will depend on how our upcoming trip -- the first since 2015 -- goes.

From 2008-2015, we visited WDW at least once a year, always staying onsite and since 2011, at CL. We like the Disney bubble, and with very young children, the ability to walk to one or more parks was persuasive.

But now two of my kids are Disney adults, we don't have to deal with strollers and naptimes, and WDW has decided my family of 5 can no longer book our favorite CL resort at any price. Unless our onsite trip next month is absolutely spectacular, I think subsequent trips will be offsite. The idea of spending less money and having each of my kids have their own bed is very, very attractive.

I'm pretty much there. Beginning in 2012 went 2-3x/year. This year is one trip. Next year we were planning to buy AP's, and go Feb & July, both trips 7-9 nights. Then the AP price hike came, and I said no way. So, next year will be July, and we'll be done. So Disney went from having me go on 2 trips for a total of 15-20 nights to now one trip for probably 6-7.

It's not just the money, it's the cost to value/experience ratio. The experience piece has been chipping away the last few years. I feel like they're not in the details anymore (the caveat to that is I have not been to GE yet, so maybe my perspective on that will change). Higher cost for shorter park hours, parking fees, automated photo boxes instead of photo pass photographers, etc. I get that they're first, and foremost a business, and it's all about the bottom line, but they've built & marketed that business on making magic. When the trips are costing more, and are less magical I've reached my breaking point.

...I get that they're first, and foremost a business, and it's all about the bottom line, but they've built & marketed that business on making magic. When the trips are costing more, and are less magical I've reached my breaking point.

Well said!

Bring back the Disney magic :tink:, rather than what they can 'get away with'. The details matter.

we always fly in. although i'm sure disney likes the fee;s they get from parking-i suspect this also has to do with parking difficulties at a resort itself that i've read about in other posts. Putting parking fees in discourages renting a car and encourages using magical express,

I doubt we will ever hit our breaking point but we have made adjustments. We rent points to stay at Epcot resorts. We stopped renting a car in '17. With ME and Lyft it just didn't make sense for us. We can use Lyft every day if we choose to and it's still less expensive then renting a car and paying parking fees. I know that only works for those who fly tho'. I haven't paid 'rack rates' since 2007 but it does require research and planning. These boards are such an important tool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter