What is it about Disney that keeps you coming back?

I think you hit on it there. I don't like having to plan the small details quite so far in advance, but I do like that it's all in one place, and all..."trusted" I guess is the word. - No wondering if a hotel is in a safe area, or if a restaurant is clean, etc.

Yeah, I can see that. It's the same reason that my sister likes the cruises. She doesn't have to find hotels or near as many, if any, restaurants. They do guided tour excursions most of the time so no need for figuring out a foreign city. Well except when bil wanders off in Moscow. Lol. But she pays a lot for those benefits. It would be so much cheaper to travel a different way.

And the things you mention is why I know that we could do WDW or Universal cheaper, staying and eating offsite, just not willing to!

I just love going there. I have been cruising the last three years, and considered another cruise next October but the cost is solo cruising is more than a trip to Disney. I am really looking forward to going back to Pop Century again.

I guess you could say it's the little things. If you want thrills and spills, go to Thorpe Park. That'll scare you pale. But Disney is more FUN. Like Soarin' fun. It doesn't scare, but it exhilarates! And then there are the technical details, like the underground tunnels under Magic Kingdom, or the false perspective Disney uses. The amazing detail that goes into Pandora or the more classic Frontier Land. The opulence that goes into everything, including the ridiculous lengths they go into for the fireworks each and every night. It's all just rather spectacular.

I grew up only a few miles away from Disneyland, so my parents got APs every year all the way until I was in high school because it got too expensive at that point, but even then we still frequently went for birthdays or holiday weekends.
I experienced so much there growing up. I performed there, was able to work backstage, and even got an opportunity to join in one of their parades. After my family moved to CO, I still went to visit once a year. I've even been able to take my engagement photos with my now husband there. It's become a second home to me. And while I'd live to visit somehwere else someday, Disneyland will always be one of those safe places for me.

So currently I'm on my laptop as per always, with 3 other tabs open.

-Walt Disney World Website 1 week Pop

-Exedia.ca Rome 1 week

-Expedia.ca Beijing 1 week

and the problem is, I'm seriously leaning in on the Disney trip. I've been to Disney 11 times, I've been to Beijing once in 2004, and I've never been to Rome. The trips I'm looking at are all around $2500 CAD. So why do I want to go back to Disney more? heck, when I was down with the family in Florida last week we drove past the Disney gates but didn't go in; I could feel my whole body clench to keep me from jumping out on the highway to run inside. (hyperbole, but not far off.)

What is it about Disney that once it gets in your blood you keep wanting to come back? is it the familiarity? the service? the ease of planning? or is it mass hypnosis? What makes this place so much more in the forefront of vacation planning?
I love WDW. It's always fun. If I could only do one vacation a year it wouldn't be WDW, and I certainly wouldn't give up a trip to Rome for WDW. We've been to WDW a number of times and if I can afford it as a second vacation we'll do it. Last year we WDW and Alaska and this year it will be WDW, and Quebec cruise. 2019 we'll go back to Europe and maybe WDW if the money's there.

I was gonna say it's the "Disney Bubble" too :):) The smells, the sounds, the atmosphere! Total immersion :) No responsibilities. I don't have to make anyone's lunch, I don't have to plan a menu( but planning where I want to eat is fun :)) I don't have to grocery shop. Planning what to wear? No problem...just which Mickey/Minnie shirt do I feel like wearing! The only place I have to be is FP+ and ADRs.
Man, now I really want to plan a trip!!!!

How's that different from any other vacation?

So at the start it had quality unmatched by any other theme park.
Now I think it is more of a tradition, when we measure our kids to see how tall they are it isn’t about how tall they are compared to their sisters at that age, it’s ooohh your tall enough to ride x.
It has been a big part of our family now, much like friends whose families may go to Taupo/Fiji/Gold Coast a lot and they have their traditions there (fish n chips from x shop on the beach on arrival night or whatever) for us it’s just Dole Whips and fireworks...

"Lose yourself to the magic" has been coming up a lot, what in particular that makes that happen?

The CMs, more than any other thing I think. I can’t rhink f any other place where everyone is so consistently trying their best to make your vacation wonderfulz

How's that different from any other vacation?

I see your point but there is just something different about those things with in the "bubble" at Disney. It just doesn't translate well at other places...for me anyway :)

I see your point but there is just something different about those things with in the "bubble" at Disney. It just doesn't translate well at other places...for me anyway :)

Same here. I can get out of cooking on some other trips (not necessarily when visiting family) but I still seem to be responsible for getting everyone organized even to go out to eat. And the full "insulated from the world" feeling is more Disney-specific for me.

For me, I enjoy planning vacations and so I enjoy planning everything for the Disney trip. It helps that I love going to Florida, the flight, the bus, the pools, the atmosphere. It's fun and it's happy and it makes me feel good to be there :-)

I started going to Disney over 30 years ago with my parents and grandparents. We went every year. I have so many good memories. As an adult I love going with my kids and my parents. It's like a family tradition.

The best part returning to the same vacation spot year after year is that it becomes familiar and comfortable, rather than stressful and overwhelming. Whenever I take other vacations I'm reminded about how time-consuming and worrisome it can be to simply navigate around a new place. Add in small children or older parents and it can be down right nerve-racking. In Disney, I already know where all the bathrooms are. I know how awesome a Dole Whip is, and what rides might be too loud for DD6 with sensory issues. I have a sense of confidence and control that comes from familiarity and experience. I don't have to spend all of my mental energy figuring out the minute details that present themselves when a family of six finds themselves in unfamiliar territory. So I can just relax and enjoy myself.

What makes Disney a great place to return to is the variety and quantity of fun experiences for all ages. There is simply so much awesome stuff to do! We can't possibly do it all in one vacation so that leaves us with plenty of new things to look forward to for the next time. And with Disney continuing to expand, there's plenty more to get excited about for the future.

So yeah, I'm a Disney fan for life. I like other places as well. And there are plenty of places I haven't been that I'd still like to go. But Disney has a special place in my heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter