What is it about Disney that keeps you coming back?

I honestly don’t know. We just returned from a pretty bad trip, sick kids, meh food. I’m just glad we also vacation elsewhere, it would be depressing if Disney were our only vacation option.

For me it's the total immersion - the "Disney Bubble" as it's called. Once we're there (actually, once the plane takes off from here) I'm on vacation - it's all about family time, and it feels like the rest of the world doesn't exist.

I was gonna say it's the "Disney Bubble" too :):) The smells, the sounds, the atmosphere! Total immersion :) No responsibilities. I don't have to make anyone's lunch, I don't have to plan a menu( but planning where I want to eat is fun :)) I don't have to grocery shop. Planning what to wear? No problem...just which Mickey/Minnie shirt do I feel like wearing! The only place I have to be is FP+ and ADRs.
Man, now I really want to plan a trip!!!!

I too plan fantasy trips as well. XD Expedia is a lot of fun, though it doesn't do Disney (effectively, you can plan around a disney trip but it doesn't do disney directly.)

Its the immersion through the theming. The sights, sounds and smells that make you feel like you really are in the past, the future or another land. The classic attractions that we all love to see again and again.

Otoh, there are a few things that have kept us away lately too. 1. The planning 2 finding a greater quality in hotels, food and fantastic staff right down the road. 3 the want for relaxation of a beach vacation (and the cheaper costs!).

We will be back. Just waiting for all three granddaughters to be the age that their parents all agree is a good time to go!

As cheesy as it sounds, it's the magic. I've been to a lot of other places that I love and do evoke a sense of wonder and excitement but there's something just extra magical about Disney World, especially Magic Kingdom. We just got back from a trip and while it was tiring and crazy busy, I can't experience the amazing things I feel when I walk by Cinderella's castle at night, all lit up, anywhere else. It's so special. And I guess the parks also remind me of childhood vacations and all the fun we had. It sure is a special place.

The themed hotels.
The ease & fun of planning.
Excitement of the parks & attractions.
That feeling of being transported to another dimension, where my job does not exist lol.
The excitement of my kids; being nostalgic & watching them experience the same magic I did when I was a kid.

Simple. It's magic. You can simply lose yourself in the moment and become a kid again. There's nowhere else quite like it on earth.

I lost the "magic" when you had to spend more time planning your vacation than the time you would actually be there. Now we just go to Universal if we are going to do a theme park. The hotels are much nicer, the transportation better, the EP makes navigating it easy and without having to plan 6 months out and the WWOHP is just as or even more immersive than anything in WDW. My children love the doing the spells each time we go.

We will go back when grandchildren come to see it through a young child's eyes again, but for now, it is not worth it to us.

So currently I'm on my laptop as per always, with 3 other tabs open.

-Walt Disney World Website 1 week Pop

-Exedia.ca Rome 1 week

-Expedia.ca Beijing 1 week

and the problem is, I'm seriously leaning in on the Disney trip. I've been to Disney 11 times, I've been to Beijing once in 2004, and I've never been to Rome. The trips I'm looking at are all around $2500 CAD. So why do I want to go back to Disney more? heck, when I was down with the family in Florida last week we drove past the Disney gates but didn't go in; I could feel my whole body clench to keep me from jumping out on the highway to run inside. (hyperbole, but not far off.)

What is it about Disney that once it gets in your blood you keep wanting to come back? is it the familiarity? the service? the ease of planning? or is it mass hypnosis? What makes this place so much more in the forefront of vacation planning?

If you can do Rome for the same price as going to WDW, I'd go to Rome for a change. In fact, that's one reason I've done so much international travel lately. It's often cheaper in the long run.

For us, Disney is easy. Sure it takes some planning with ADR and FP+, but it doesn't take months and months of planning a successful trip like other places do. Disney is also easy as we stay onsite, take magical express and just use Disney transportation. It's a nice relaxing trip, compared to the other trips we do. I think the way we feel at Disney is probably how others feel at an all-inclusive resort. But as much as we like Disney we can't just do Disney. There is so much of this world we want to see. So it is a balance to have something Disney related at least once or twice a year and do other places. But the ease and relaxation of Disney is what keeps us fitting it in each year.

For my parents, they like Disney because they like that there is always something to do. There is no wondering "what will I do today?". From the time they get up to they go to bed they know a theme park is open (or relatively shortly after they wake up and get ready). Where other destinations at times you could do an activity and then wonder what to do now. This more happens when you don't do your research of your destination though.

I find it interesting that what some people like is what others don't: the planning.

I don't plan much for other trips. I get a hotel and any required tickets for area attractions online. Done

My sister and her husband have been doing these huge cruises every year. Last one was Alaska with a lot of excursions. Before that was the British Isles and they have done Russia, Greece and other places. The next one in a year is Australia and New Zealand.

They decided to take the grandkids to WDW for the holidays. She was shocked at what all planning she had to do. She said that not one of their other trips took half the time to plan.

It is nice that it's always in one place online I guess.

"Lose yourself to the magic" has been coming up a lot, what in particular that makes that happen?

Like I said before, the "bubble" -

I can't say I ever feel that lost in the magic while at Disney or forget I'm still in the real world that has criminals and illness and everything else. It is a very immersive experience though and if you choose to not leave property, turn on the TV, or check in on the news it is an easier place than most to forget about the world around you.

Exactly. I really do forget everything - because once I'm there, I have absolutely no desire to check the news, etc. It's as if I'm a kid who hasn't learned about those things yet.

I was gonna say it's the "Disney Bubble" too :):) The smells, the sounds, the atmosphere! Total immersion :) No responsibilities. I don't have to make anyone's lunch, I don't have to plan a menu( but planning where I want to eat is fun :)) I don't have to grocery shop. Planning what to wear? No problem...just which Mickey/Minnie shirt do I feel like wearing! The only place I have to be is FP+ and ADRs.
Man, now I really want to plan a trip!!!!

That too!! I love, love, love not being in charge of feeding everyone!

I find it interesting that what some people like is what others don't: the planning...It is nice that it's always in one place online I guess.

I think you hit on it there. I don't like having to plan the small details quite so far in advance, but I do like that it's all in one place, and all..."trusted" I guess is the word. - No wondering if a hotel is in a safe area, or if a restaurant is clean, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter