What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

Ever since I've become addicted to the British Baking Show I've become obsessed with "soggy bottoms" on my pie crusts. Never worried about it before, but now..... Anyway, I just had two epic fails when trying to blind bake 2 pie crusts. Anyone have a sure-fire technique??

Ever since I've become addicted to the British Baking Show I've become obsessed with "soggy bottoms" on my pie crusts. Never worried about it before, but now..... Anyway, I just had two epic fails when trying to blind bake 2 pie crusts. Anyone have a sure-fire technique??

What was your issue? Were the crusts still soggy? Was the crusts homemade? What kind of pan did you use (glass or metal)? Did they burn or were they undercooked?

What was your issue? Were the crusts still soggy? Was the crusts homemade? What kind of pan did you use (glass or metal)? Did they burn or were they undercooked?

The bottom crusts were soggy, both made in a glass pan. The apple and pumpkin pies was neither burned or overcooked. Nothing wrong with the homemade pie dough I was using. The crust was perfect on the sides and rim of the pan. Do you have a favorite way to blind bake a pie? Thanks!

Yesterday I baked the exact same pumpkin muffins I've baked 100 times before... but I wanted to try a cranberry "swirl" instead of chopped cranberries for added zing. In my excitement to try the swirl (which did NOT work well, BTW, either in appearance or in added flavor)... I forgot to add all the pumpkin pie spice to the batter.

:sad2:

Once you read my post, below, you may not want to take baking advice from me, BUT I do a few things when making a pie. First, I ALWAYS bake on the bottom rack when using glass pie plates. I also pre-bake the crust for about 8 minutes to start "setting" the bottom crust. I use pie shields around the rim so it doesn't brown too much and also pie weights (I put parchment in the crust and then a shallow layer of rice) to keep the crust from bubbling. Once I take the pre-bake out of the oven, I put a very thin cookie sheet on the bottom rack to heat up. I put the filled pie on the cookie sheet to bake. I don't usually have "soggy bottoms" on my pies! (I can hear Mary Berry now!)

SO... Thanksgiving desserts were a big failure. I used tried-and-true recipes, but the marble cheesecake was over-baked and the filling on the berry pie never 'set up.' We have dry cheesecake and liquid pie. A friend suggested using the pie filling as a sauce on the cheesecake- we might give that a try! Who knew that the "winning" Thanksgiving dessert would be the Pudding-Pie (instant pudding, pre-made graham crust, homemade whipped cream) that a friend's 4 year old "made" LOL!!

The bottom crusts were soggy, both made in a glass pan. The apple and pumpkin pies was neither burned or overcooked. Nothing wrong with the homemade pie dough I was using. The crust was perfect on the sides and rim of the pan. Do you have a favorite way to blind bake a pie? Thanks!

Glass is an insulator and takes a long time to heat up. I'd recommend switching to aluminum pie pans. Bakeries never use glass pie pans, as an example. You will get more consistent heating with aluminum.

Otherwise, do as a previous poster and bake close to the lower heating element in the oven.

I've got an apple crostata in the oven now. It's quite a bit smaller than a conventional pie so maybe after DH and perhaps even DS eat their single token slice, there won't be a whole lot that goes to waste.

Ghiradelli brownies for my son's 14th bday. That's what he wanted, so that's what I made. This is the first year he hasn't taken/wanted to take a bday treat to share with his classmates, I guess that 11 years (preschool through 7th) is a pretty good run.

I actually bake my bottom crust for a bit before putting the filling in and top crust on. Makes a huge difference. If the bottom is soggy, no one here will eat the pie.

Dairy-free version of Trader Joe's Pfeffernusse cookies:)...

I usually use vegan butter, but this time went for lard (and a little rice milk) to make it dairy free...I've never had these cookies, but I think they are gonna be tasty:)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter