WDW bubble feel

Being used to the WDW bubble, we say it is worth it. If you stay at DLH, the walk to the parks is straight through DTD- you never leave Disney. We feel completely in the bubble. We had to come in a day early one trip due to weather, and the Disney resorts were all full so we wound up at a Harbor Hotel. The Hotel was fine and the walk was not that long, but it definitely did not feel like the bubble when you stepped outside the hotel. In fact DH, who always said maybe we should just stay at the cheaper offsite places at DL, said he would never complain about the higher price to stay in the bubble at DL again. If you aren't used to the WDW bubble it is fine and you probably wouldn't even think about the difference-- but if you have been in the WDW bubble over and over then I would say staying inside the bubble at DLR is worth it.

I've never been to WDW, but from videos I've seen and such, it looks like you break the bubble MUCH more than you would in Disneyland. The two parks basically feel the same and fully in the bubble at all times. Downtown Disney has the Disney bubble feel, very clean, well lit, safe, music, etc and is an extension from the parks pretty much.

Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian feel 100% the Disney bubble. Grand Californian has entry ways right into California Adventure so you really can't get any more bubble then that. Disneyland Hotel is a very slight bit more removed, but it's all Disney property, music, well lit, safe feeling even at night, it's bubble, and has a certain "classic Disney history" feel to it. Pixar Place would be the one most removed from things, you would be walking across the parking garage or up near Disneyland Drive a little bit (a few hundred feet or so), but that amount, believe it or not, let's the normal world in. I haven't seen homeless there, but you see the cars racing up and down and just are reminded that there is a boring normal world just right there that you'll return to soon.

Personally to me the bubble is totally worth it. Even with the stupid insane prices, but I don't cut out dinners and stuff like that. If you had to... I would really think long and hard on that. I have also stayed at the Westin (Marriott property) down on the corner of Katella and Disneyland Drive. I'll walk up Disneyland drive, cross the road at Pixar Place/Grand Cal and then head into Downtown Disney like anyone would if they were staying at Pixar Place. It's approx 1,850 feet before you're into the normal path Pixar Place guests would take, and thus entering the Disney bubble. Two intersections you'll need to cross (personally I cross Katella and then usually walk up the Grand Cal side of the road and then cross at Paradise Way since that seems to have a little less traffic than Katella). The Westin is a gorgeous new (~3 years?) hotel... honestly nicer than Disneyland Hotel... and shockingly is often like $350 before tax a night. You can also use points here (I think I've seen it as low at 40k/night). Personally the amount of "activity" on Disneyland Drive has been MUCH less than what I've heard on Harbor. That said, there was a homeless person sleeping DIRECTLY outside the Westin one one when I was staying there... I'm sure the Westin loves that. But walking up Disneyland drive I saw no one yelling their agenda, homeless/drug user, etc. Just some Disney goers making their way to or from the park. I usually stay here on the day I arrive since I get there late in the day (~7pm) and then depart the next day by 3 or 4pm to drive up to Universal Studios, then at the end of my trip I swing up to Universal Studios again, so sandwiching my Disney time, and I'll stay at the Westin again when I drive back to Disney since the next day I'll depart late in the day (~5pm) out of SNA. Those two times the Disneyland Hotel and $600+ minimum a night isn't worth it. BUT, then I'm at Disney mid trip for four days in a row, Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian for sure.

(The Westin also is **amazing** if you're an America Express Platinum holder. Not only can you use Amex points but you also get the fine hotels and resorts benefits and this location offers daily breakfast for two, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, wifi, and a $100 food and beverage credit. You also get a room upgrade when available and noon check in if available. I've only stayed there once before but was upgraded to a premium room on a high floor with fantastic theme park views. This year since I'm staying twice, once at the beginning and once at the end of my trip I'll get two $100 food and bev credits and I'll certainly make use of the late checkout both times since at the start of my trip I'll depart the Anaheim area around 3pm to head up to Universal Hilton for Halloween Horror nights and then at the end of my trip I'll leave at about 3pm to head to SNA for my late flight home. I'm very curious if I'll get lucky either, or both times, on getting an upgrade. The Westin also will trigger the Platinum's $200 hotel credit, and earn 5x MR points. Two nights at the Westin, a Fri-Sat and then Sat-Sun later in the week is running me $830 after tax while one Disneyland Hotel night is running me $787 after tax. If I factor in my $200 Amex credit the Westin drops to $630 for the two nights...)

My suggestion is not to try to compare the 2, they are very different. Try to enjoy the compact version that Anaheim offers. You can visit both parks and downtown disney all within a few minutes.

Going into the streets of Anaheim absolutely takes you out of the bubble.

If you stay too far down Harbor you may see some things that might frighten you.

I'll note that personally I consider Disneyland Hotel still in the bubble. You're not crossing any traffic and you're not exposed to street traffic (human or vehicular). It's a continuous walk along Disney property with Disney theming and music. I would consider Pixar Place to be *just* outside the bubble... still very safe feeling, but the real world starts to bleed in as you walk from the edge of the Disneyland Hotel up to the Pixar Place.

We live 20 minutes from DL and spend more time at WDW. Reason being; the bubble, but there is more to it than the hotel where you sleep (though that is a big part). If we go to DL for the day, it only takes one cell phone text to pull us back to the other side of the berm and back to reality. Travelling to DL OTOH, that would not happen. You are not going to cut your vacation short due to a phone call. I understand your question though and the answer is, except for Grand Cal and kindof DL Hotel, no, you aren't going to have even close to the same bubble feel as you will at a WDW resort.

Lots of theatrics in this thread. The WDW bubble begins to crumble if you get acquainted with the area and realize there’s a Taco Bell a couple miles from the MK, a Walmart about a mile from the All-Stars (if there was a direct path) and apartments/ shopping have been built right up to (and are very visible) the AKL property line.

The Anaheim resort area has been cleaned up over the past 25 years. You mainly see lots of families walking amongst lush landscaping to their modern hotels and local restaurants. Homeless have minimal prescience in the resort area. People preach Jesus even in Downtown Disney, it’s a public area so unavoidable.

The Grand Californian is the only hotel that will allow you to stay entirely in the Disney Bubble. Disneyland Hotel is possible too if you get a view overlooking the resort. Same with Pixar Pier to a lesser extent.

But Disneyland is a small resort built in one of the most congested areas of the country. Even if you stay at the Grand Californian, it won’t republic are the feeling that WDW yields. Anaheim’s sight lines are clearly visible from much of CAlifornia Aventure, etc.

But even WDW is getting that way. Bonnet Creek has extremely highl visibility as does Margaritaville’s lights.

Lots of theatrics in this thread. The WDW bubble begins to crumble if you get acquainted with the area and realize there’s a Taco Bell a couple miles from the MK, a Walmart about a mile from the All-Stars (if there was a direct path) and apartments/ shopping have been built right up to (and are very visible) the AKL property line.

The Anaheim resort area has been cleaned up over the past 25 years. You mainly see lots of families walking amongst lush landscaping to their modern hotels and local restaurants. Homeless have minimal prescience in the resort area. People preach Jesus even in Downtown Disney, it’s a public area so unavoidable.

Recent reports on FB of a man yelling and waiving a knife in the air, separate incident woman yelling while naked from the bottom down. This is all on Harbor walking from Disney to the good neighbor hotels. Are they lying? I dont know. Have I personally witnessed similar in the past? Yes. Do I always stay on property now to avoid the one off chance of this happening again, 100% yes.

Are there homeless on Harbor? YES. Are there street vendors? YES-all the way to Disney property. Does it bother me at the Candy Cane? NO. I just hop on the FREE shuttle. Is it worth the cost of my FOUR ANNUAL TRIPS to stay in an overpriced room just to be in the “bubble”? ABSOLUTELY NOT. If I stayed onsite, I might be able to afford one trip every 14-16 months. I need my Disney fix more often than that…why, Star-Lord and Loki might forget me if I did that!

That said, that’s just me….if you’re going for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, go for it! And I’d bid on that Club 33 package, too! 😊

Recent reports on FB of a man yelling and waiving a knife in the air, separate incident woman yelling while naked from the bottom down. This is all on Harbor walking from Disney to the good neighbor hotels. Are they lying? I dont know. Have I personally witnessed similar in the past? Yes. Do I always stay on property now to avoid the one off chance of this happening again, 100% yes.
People can be crazy and do crazy stuff - even on Disney property. I’ve walked that area hundred and hundreds of times - often to the Metrolink stations, which are well beyond the resort area - and the worst I’ve seen is a drug transaction (again well outside the resort area, and usually involving young kids).

I recall a thread on here awhile ago from a foreign tourist who wanted to take their kids trick or treating in the area, and the responses were hysterical - the kids may be harmed etc. fact is random violent crime anywhere in Orange County is very very rare. This isn’t San Francisco / Oakland - the police are well funded. There’s too much police presence IMO.

People can be crazy and do crazy stuff - even on Disney property. I’ve walked that area hundred and hundreds of times - often to the Metrolink stations, which are well beyond the resort area - and the worst I’ve seen is a drug transaction (again well outside the resort area, and usually involving young kids).

I recall a thread on here awhile ago from a foreign tourist who wanted to take their kids trick or treating in the area, and the responses were hysterical - the kids may be harmed etc. fact is random violent crime anywhere in Orange County is very very rare.
True. Things can happen anywhere.

For us when we went to WDW we felt in the bubble the entire time. When at DL staying on Harbor takes us out of that bubble. Walking down Harbor is a stark difference for someone who is used to only WDW.

True. Things can happen anywhere.

For us when we went to WDW we felt in the bubble the entire time. When at DL staying on Harbor takes us out of that bubble. Walking down Harbor is a stark difference for someone who is used to only WDW.

I agree with you entirely on that. DL will not replicate a WDW-like experience.

I’m certainly not discouraging anybody with a few extra thousand dollars sitting in a draw waiting to be spent to stay at a DLH. I’m just responding to numerous comments questioning the safety of the surrounding area.

I'll chime in and say that overall safety *likely* isn't a huge issue when staying off property, unless maybe walking solo very late at night or something. BUT, to me the "normal outside world" is what I like to avoid inside the Disney bubble. It's why I like the themed lands so much. Yes sight lines come into question in the hotel, especially on high floors and facing away from Disneyland, but if you're someone that gets back to the hotel after dark and either doesn't really have the blinds open in the morning or is too busy getting ready to just gaze out and soak in the view, you notice it very little or not at all. Do me that's the Disney bubble. I certainly like that the Disney property is well lit and feels safe, but I hate that "oh yeah, everything is normal right over there" kind of feeling when you see traffic racing by or the glow of a fast food sign or something.

Usually that can be avoided when staying on property, even at Pixar Place (again unless you're looking out the window just soaking everything in). I'm in my room maybe 9 hours a day and asleep for most of that, so a lot of that is blended into the background.

Are there homeless on Harbor? YES. Are there street vendors? YES-all the way to Disney property. Does it bother me at the Candy Cane? NO. I just hop on the FREE shuttle. Is it worth the cost of my FOUR ANNUAL TRIPS to stay in an overpriced room just to be in the “bubble”? ABSOLUTELY NOT. If I stayed onsite, I might be able to afford one trip every 14-16 months. I need my Disney fix more often than that…why, Star-Lord and Loki might forget me if I did that!

That said, that’s just me….if you’re going for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, go for it! And I’d bid on that Club 33 package, too! 😊
Candy Cane Inn is great and I love the shuttle.

DH and I have been to WDW at least 25x. We enjoy the overall resort on these trips as much as the parks. We usually stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Yacht and Beach Club. We like being in the “bubble”. We are thinking of venturing to DL in April. I know from here and all the YT videos I have watched the parks exp is different. My question is does it feel anymore like the wdw resort experience to splurge and stay Iin one of the 3 Disney hotels as opposed to a good neighbor hotel that ? I hope this question makes sense and thank you in advance.
To me, staying in the GCH (and a little less so DLH; and not as much PPH) very, very definitely “feels more like the WDW resort experience…as opposed to a good neighbor hotel”. We stay at GCH (and rarely DLH when GCH is booked; last year we stayed in PPH when both were booked) every trip, and I love the feeling of getting out of the Uber, going into the GCH lobby, and never being outside of the Disney experience until we get back in the Uber to go back to SNA. If you really want to stay “out of site” of the outside world, request a Woods/Courtyard, DTD or Theme Park view room. There are 3 lovely pools at GCH, as well as the Spa to enjoy. There is a character meal right there at Storytellers. And there is fine dining at Napa Rose. We love the Craftsman club bar after a long park day. The lobby is STUNNING. So to me (and we have stayed deluxe at WDW numerous times at BLT, AKL, BC, etc), GCH is going to be the best match to the “WDW resort experience” you are looking for.

Is it worth it or valuable or in your budget; these are questions only you can answer.

Deja vu all over again….🤣

It’s a discussion that never ends…
Yes, plus the never ending threads about when it's least crowded to visit, how long will it take to get from LAX to DLR, if 1 day at DL travelling from Burbank is manageable, if getting park hoppers is worth it, whether the park with EE is best to book if on or offsite, etc.

Sorry, this will upset some so please know the OP asked for opinions and this is just mine.

I would not go to Disneyland unless we stayed at the Grand or DLH. I’m not “soft” nor do I look down on homeless. I don’t feel safe and do not choose to spend my vacation somewhere when I feel that way.

IMO, you will not enjoy your trip staying outside the “bubble” First choice would be Grand, second DLH. Other than that we’d vacation somewhere else. Accommodations are a high priority for me!

A
Sorry, this will upset some so please know the OP asked for opinions and this is just mine.

I would not go to Disneyland unless we stayed at the Grand or DLH. I’m not “soft” nor do I look down on homeless. I don’t feel safe and do not choose to spend my vacation somewhere when I feel that way.

IMO, you will not enjoy your trip staying outside the “bubble” First choice would be Grand, second DLH. Other than that we’d vacation somewhere else. Accommodations are a high priority for me!

What upsets me is that people come to this forum for help and advice — not just the OP but the large number of people who will read this thread now and in the future — is the continued portrayal of the area as being unsafe. That’s simply not true — even the most blighted properties are worth significantly more than most people reading this thread’s homes. Because of that, Anaheim PD - and the rest of the police throughout OC - is well funded. Random violent crime is extremely rare anywhere in OC — these communities are safer than the average commonly in the USA.

One poster above said they don’t want to see signs of homelessness and poverty on vacation. That’s a great answer… you aren’t soft and don’t look down on homeless so why do you feel unsafe?

Disney and Anaheim have poured hundreds of millions of dollars into gentrifying the surrounding community. Nearly all of the hotels built in the 50s, 60s and 70s have been razed and replaced.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest