Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess we shall see how it does but ...

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Solo: A Star Wars Story is set to open to $130 million to $150 million during Memorial Day weekend, with $130 million on the low end. Disney could end up beating their own Memorial Day record, which they set with Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End in 2007 with $139.8 million, not adjusted for inflation. It’s expected to have a worldwide opening weekend of $300 million after opening in most territories like China.

However, it is expected to have the lowest domestic opening of all the four films in the reborn Star Wars franchise (The Force Awakens ($248 million), The Last Jedi ($155.1 million) and Rogue One ($155.1 million)).

If you look at the comments from people though it is all from people that didn't like the Last Jedi and saying they are out do to that and I guess we shall see this weekend if that is a vocal minority or how a large chunk of the fan base feels

Also, apparently people are upset that it positions Lando as pansexual and how that is messed up and now they can't take their kids to see the movie due to that, etc.

But the 38% is so low.... the rating for Solo is so low...

Do you guys get the joke yet?

Solo

So low

They say if you have to explain a joke it wasn’t a good joke.

I saw Solo about 45 minutes ago and I have to say I absolutely loved it. For me personally, Alden killed it as Han and I was very impressed with him and the rest of the cast. Although I wish there was more of Thandie Newton. I know Emilia’s acting can be a bit so-so at times on GOT but I really liked her in this.

A lot of the plot is fairly predictable but still enjoyable and I already knew several of the twists going in from reading filming spoilers/leaks but that didn’t take anything away from the film for me. I wasn’t a fan of TLJ at all but I really enjoyed this movie as this is exactly the kind of Star Wars I like. Dirty, gritty and fun. Plus it was nice to finally see Corellia on screen.

Ron Howard did a really good job turning Solo around and I hope we get to see more of Alden’s Han in other Star Wars projects in the future.

Guess we shall see how it does but ...

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Solo: A Star Wars Story is set to open to $130 million to $150 million during Memorial Day weekend, with $130 million on the low end. Disney could end up beating their own Memorial Day record, which they set with Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End in 2007 with $139.8 million, not adjusted for inflation. It’s expected to have a worldwide opening weekend of $300 million after opening in most territories like China.

However, it is expected to have the lowest domestic opening of all the four films in the reborn Star Wars franchise (The Force Awakens ($248 million), The Last Jedi ($155.1 million) and Rogue One ($155.1 million)).
Box office.com has lowered their forecast yet again saying that the 3-day gross could be as low as 100 million.

I saw Solo about 45 minutes ago and I have to say I absolutely loved it. For me personally, Alden killed it as Han and I was very impressed with him and the rest of the cast. Although I wish there was more of Thandie Newton. I know Emilia’s acting can be a bit so-so at times on GOT but I really liked her in this.

A lot of the plot is fairly predictable but still enjoyable and I already knew several of the twists going in from reading filming spoilers/leaks but that didn’t take anything away from the film for me. I wasn’t a fan of TLJ at all but I really enjoyed this movie as this is exactly the kind of Star Wars I like. Dirty, gritty and fun. Plus it was nice to finally see Corellia on screen.

Ron Howard did a really good job turning Solo around and I hope we get to see more of Alden’s Han in other Star Wars projects in the future.

Thanks for the spoiler free review. I'm still gravitating towards seeing it post theater, but perhaps if others give positive reviews I could be swayed.

I just think there are many many anti-Disney people out there that are also original trilogy Star Wars fans. They want to leave well-enough alone and poo-poo anything post "new canon"

As for Lando
In the novel "Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel", there are several times where Lando is with his Twi'lek girlfriend.

Well I have my tickets for tonight at the Drafthouse. I'm looking forward to their preshow.

I hope I enjoy it because it starts at 7 and my bedtime is 8. So I'll be pretty grumpy in the morning but it feels so wrong not to see Star Wars on opening day.

I mean, I waited half the day in line for attack of the clones, so I can probably miss a few hours of sleep tonight.

Ha. Seems like my wife prefers seeing Solo to Infinity War or Deadpool Saturday night. So I'll probably see it then. I think I'd prefer to see Infinity Wars, but my wife prefers Star Wars to Marvel, though not by much. I'm just happy she's willing to go to these types of movies on her choice. We can watch all the romantic comedies and period dramas she wants at home where screen size and sound aren't an issue. If I'm dropping a small fortune on movie tickets, I want special effects to make it worth my while! Glad she agrees.

Now the big choice, the local, relatively new, drive in, or a real theater. The real theater is better for watching movies, the drive in is more a neat novelty on occasion.

Ha. Seems like my wife prefers seeing Solo to Infinity War or Deadpool Saturday night. So I'll probably see it then. I think I'd prefer to see Infinity Wars, but my wife prefers Star Wars to Marvel, though not by much. I'm just happy she's willing to go to these types of movies on her choice. We can watch all the romantic comedies and period dramas she wants at home where screen size and sound aren't an issue. If I'm dropping a small fortune on movie tickets, I want special effects to make it worth my while! Glad she agrees.

Now the big choice, the local, relatively new, drive in, or a real theater. The real theater is better for watching movies, the drive in is more a neat novelty on occasion.

We have it well structured for this weekend as my wife made plans to go out "with the girls" on Saturday night and I am going out with one of the other dads tomorrow night to see Solo

I'm seeing it tomorrow but from what I'm hearing it's a 'decent' film that sticks more loyally to Star Wars heritage than TLJ did.

We have a drive-in too, but I would not be willing to sacrifice definition to screen size for a SW movie.

We have a drive-in too, but I would not be willing to sacrifice definition to screen size for a SW movie.
It's not really my choice but I don't see a huge difference. It's more the audio I think suffers depending on your car speakers and how you are sitting in the car. Lots of people sit in lawn chairs and set up portable radios near them. That would really reduce sound quality. Still, it's fun to go. And that's really the point of date night with the wife.

It's not really my choice but I don't see a huge difference. It's more the audio I think suffers depending on your car speakers and how you are sitting in the car. Lots of people sit in lawn chairs and set up portable radios near them. That would really reduce sound quality. Still, it's fun to go. And that's really the point of date night with the wife.

No doubt it's fun to do. We aim to go when the weather cooperates in central Fl (winter). I remember going to see a movie at the drive-in in mid-summer and the smell of insect repellent sort of compromised the experience.

I would think it would have to being a prequel type film.

not necessarily - if they really wanted to mess with things they could change who Han is - have him now be related to someone else or have had other connections (heck, have him be a drop out from the Jedi academy)

I think it is less likely, but in some ways, even small tweaks or introductions of new motivations or connections in prequels would be worse than changing things in the new movies

not necessarily - if they really wanted to mess with things they could change who Han is - have him now be related to someone else or have had other connections (heck, have him be a drop out from the Jedi academy)

I think it is less likely, but in some ways, even small tweaks or introductions of new motivations or connections in prequels would be worse than changing things in the new movies
I guess but that just wouldn’t make a lot of sense to me. I would think they would want it to be very similar to the Han we have come to love.

I guess but that just wouldn’t make a lot of sense to me. I would think they would want it to be very similar to the Han we have come to love.

and what they did in the Last Jedi didn't make a lot of sense to some people

I am not saying they would want to mess with Han's back story or that it would be smart to mess with it ... just that simply being a prequel doesn't mean the *can't*

and what they did in the Last Jedi didn't make a lot of sense to some people

I am not saying they would want to mess with Han's back story or that it would be smart to mess with it ... just that simply being a prequel doesn't mean the *can't*
I understand but I think it make a lot more sense to change things up with the Last Jedi since there is no films set after it. There are several films set after Solo.

I understand but I think it make a lot more sense to change things up with the Last Jedi since there is no films set after it. There are several films set after Solo.

I think we are on the same page - fully agree the path they have taken makes the most sense ... just your original comment was that you thought it "had" to be more loyal as it was a prequel, and my initial response was just that simply being a prequel doesn't mean is *has* to be more loyal. "more likely" or something like that i fully agree with

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter