Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to scare folks, but in initial overseas markets, this is bombing...and b/c of the production budget (over $250M) and the low DOM presales, this could be the 1st Star Wars theatrical money loser...will probably be a lot of articles this weekend comparing the movie to Justice League and "what went wrong."

Its 4 day DOM tracking has dropped from $150-$170M last week to $130-$150M yesterday...and it's likely going further down today. Don't be surprised with a 3 day in JL territory...

Tonight can't come soon enough.

May the Force be with you all, always.

Which begs the question; will this be the first Star Wars movie not to feature the Force as a major plotline?

This movie might suck, but I am getting pretty excited. Nothing like the very start of a new Star Wars movie in the theater, when the crawl starts and the possibilities of what you're about to see are spread before you.

Except I guess Solo probably doesn't have a crawl, like Rogue One.

I guess that's ok, I know where this story goes.

Tonight can't come soon enough.

May the Force be with you all, always.

Which begs the question; will this be the first Star Wars movie not to feature the Force as a major plotline?

I was going to say Rouge One, but that did have the Guardians of the Whills

Just got back from the theater and I have to say ... I liked it more than I thought I would. Other than the trailers, I hadn't kept up with anything going on with the movie and didn't have much in the way of expectations. I don't know if it'll kill at the box office, but as someone who grew up with the OT this was better than I thought it'd be. I'm not sure it'll have much rewatchability (other than Easter eggs) which might hurt its legs, too.

A few random (spoiler free) thoughts:

-Using part of the score from the original OT was very noticeable (at least to me) - in the best way possible

-I thought the middle section was best - with the beginning and ending a bit weak; also not crazy about how the finale sort of implies Solo played a big role in kickstarting the rebellion

-Quite a few explanations of things we heard about in the OT - some fun and some a bit cringeworthy (but that's every SW movie) - the whole "Solo" name thing just reminded me a bit too much of "We named the dog Indiana"

-It was good to spend time with Chewie and Lando - I think this may be the most fun and lighthearted SW movie so far (even though it has some dark moments - but the "droid rebellion" may be one of the funniest extended riffs in the series) - it made me wonder which parts they kept from Lord and Miller;

-Alden did a better job than I'd expected - he's not Ford, but he held up the role

-I can only assume that part of the ending was a set up for some sort of spin-off (movie or otherwise) - I wondered if they were going "Vader in Rogue One" with the surprise cameo - but, alas, they didn't

-The movie also made the SW universe feel a lot larger than most of the other movies. And not having the Jedi or Force involved I think actually helped that.

-I think "making the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs" has now been thoroughly and exhaustively explained

-The Falcon's temperamental on-board systems in the OT now actually are much funnier with a possible explanation of why that is.

I get that some people aren't going to like the movie, but I'm having a tough time understanding some of the angrier reactions against it now that I've seen it. And I wonder if, like Rogue One, the OT crowd may find this one better than the TFA/TLJ.

Just saw it and really liked it. Actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Thought they did a great job with a movie that is obviously predictable with a few nice little surprises and references. Theater response was positive with applause at the end. I enjoyed it much more than TLJ and heard several other similar comments. Like all SW movies, I’m sure others will not like it.

Are we doing spoilers in here?

I'll post more tomorrow while I'm at work, heh, but I have something to admit.

I thought this was going to be awful, and I actually really enjoyed it and had fun. And OMG my boy was in the end!! Have all those toys...

I know, right? I gasped when I heard the voice! It makes sense too, at least if you've watched The Clone Wars and Rebels it does. I was surprised they threw that in there, and it is exactly the reason I want more!

I thought it was ok. Conceptually, it seems like a difficult thing to pull off, since we know the future of Han, Lando, Chewie. Action scenes are less perilous when you know they aren't going to die.

I thought the weakest performance was from Emilia. The on-screen chemistry with her and Alden was severely lacking and the romance seemed forced. It seemed we were given the off performance they we know from "on/off" Emilia in GOT.

My 9yo daughter was happy to see the cameo appearance, it was a surprise to me. I wonder how that will be tied into future "Star Wars Story" movies.

I'm a fan of backstory so this was enough to provide some. I doubt it will be a re-watch at the theater, but like the rest of them i'll buy it for home viewing.

I thought it was ok. Conceptually, it seems like a difficult thing to pull off, since we know the future of Han, Lando, Chewie. Action scenes are less perilous when you know they aren't going to die.

Yeah, but, how many action movies really make us believe that one of the principle characters will die? It hardly ever happens. Would Die Hard be more exciting if we thought John McClane might die? Did anyone ever really consider that to be a possibility? It's an action movie, and it's supposed to be fun. Plus they added many side characters who may be the ones to die. Stuff like that doesn't really bother me I guess.

I know, right? I gasped when I heard the voice! It makes sense too, at least if you've watched The Clone Wars and Rebels it does. I was surprised they threw that in there, and it is exactly the reason I want more!

Did you notice that both actors were used?? I looked for that in the credits and was so excited to see both named. Sorry, trying to be intentionally a bit vague because spoilers.

FYI - Ryno’s take:

@ryno1185: I really enjoyed #Solo. I worry people are going to go into it looking for problems or with preconceived notions that it will be bad based on its production history, but honestly, it was very enjoyable. I liked it more than #RogueOne and probably more than #TheLastJedi. https://twitter.com/starwars/status/999454262001188866

and Craig's quick take:
Craig Williams‏ @Teleclashter 37m37 minutes ago

My short review of #SoloAStarWarsStory before my full review comes out - it was fun! My very low expectations were exceeded, despite a few key issues, but nothing that came as a shock considering the casting choices and Ron Howard at the helm.

overall all the reviews I have seen from "regular people" seem really positive and that it is just a fun movie

I am seeing it at 5:15 today - hoping I enjoy it as well

Yeah, but, how many action movies really make us believe that one of the principle characters will die? It hardly ever happens. Would Die Hard be more exciting if we thought John McClane might die? Did anyone ever really consider that to be a possibility? It's an action movie, and it's supposed to be fun. Plus they added many side characters who may be the ones to die. Stuff like that doesn't really bother me I guess.

That's like when they did the Empire mock on Family Guy and Peter (as Han) when they are on the Mellenium Falcon in the asteroid filed says "Well, we have like 5 of the main characters here so we should be safe!"

So a bit longer of a response....

I actually appreciate Aldren's take. He didn't try to copy Harrison 100%, but he did throw in a few things. Like Han's nervous laugh, that was a really close match. He really James Dean'ed it up. I was also getting some American Graffiti flashbacks with the car scenes at the beginning.

I also desperately want to know what was Ron Howard and what was Miller and Lord. I really couldn't tell.

I was very pleased this movie didn't have all the call backs I was scared it might. I was so nervous they'd use the ''i love you' ''i know' exchange.

I liked L3 alot, though she really wasn't in it alot. It also makes sense now for book/comic readers. In the new cannon writings, we learn that the falcon has three computer brains inside it. In the last Jedi novelization R2 is dealing with the falcon and made the point that one of them really liked dirty jokes and romantic gossip. Hmm.

I really liked the alien pilot guy.

I loved the Kessel run and I thought I was going to hate it. That's the best explanation they could have done for the parsec thing. I could have done without the asteroid empire music but it is pretty epic music so I'll forgive it.

@rteetz I'm trying for the spoiler tag here but I'm on mobile and it's buggy.

OMG chewie! So much more violent in this movie. So I guess he was EATING all the humans the imperials threw to him??? Very dark. I mean yeah he's gotta eat but seriously dark place to go there.

I did like watching Chewie watching Han throughout the movie and you could see him deciding that Han was really good at heart and someone he wouldn't mind partnering with.

I liked where they went with Kyra. I thought she was going to die fighting Vos. Though Han should have known something was up when she said she'd be right behind him. It only takes a second to grab some of those rocks. Maybe a sad smile or something from him as the door shut would have been nice.

And Darth Maul YES!!!! I m such a fan. I can't believe they got both Park and Witmer back to play him. Wonder if it was park doing body and Witmer on voice. I'm so happy I didn't get spoiled on that.

So a bit longer of a response....

I actually appreciate Aldren's take. He didn't try to copy Harrison 100%, but he did throw in a few things. Like Han's nervous laugh, that was a really close match. He really James Dean'ed it up. I was also getting some American Graffiti flashbacks with the car scenes at the beginning.

I also desperately want to know what was Ron Howard and what was Miller and Lord. I really couldn't tell.

I was very pleased this movie didn't have all the call backs I was scared it might. I was so nervous they'd use the ''i love you' ''i know' exchange.

I liked L3 alot, though she really wasn't in it alot. It also makes sense now for book/comic readers. In the new cannon writings, we learn that the falcon has three computer brains inside it. In the last Jedi novelization R2 is dealing with the falcon and made the point that one of them really liked dirty jokes and romantic gossip. Hmm.

I really liked the alien pilot guy.

I loved the Kessel run and I thought I was going to hate it. That's the best explanation they could have done for the parsec thing. I could have done without the asteroid empire music but it is pretty epic music so I'll forgive it.

@rteetz I'm trying for the spoiler tag here but I'm on mobile and it's buggy.

OMG chewie! So much more violent in this movie. So I guess he was EATING all the humans the imperials threw to him??? Very dark. I mean yeah he's gotta eat but seriously dark place to go there.

I did like watching Chewie watching Han throughout the movie and you could see him deciding that Han was really good at heart and someone he wouldn't mind partnering with.

I liked where they went with Kyra. I thought she was going to die fighting Vos. Though Han should have known something was up when she said she'd be right behind him. It only takes a second to grab some of those rocks. Maybe a sad smile or something from him as the door shut would have been nice.

And Darth Maul YES!!!! I m such a fan. I can't believe they got both Park and Witmer back to play him. Wonder if it was park doing body and Witmer on voice. I'm so happy I didn't get spoiled on that.

The spoiler tag seems to be working fine for what i am seeing on my computer

Few more thoughts.

Wasnt a big fan of the lighting. I know lighting can set the mood, but it can't be too dark. The audience needs to see.

I didn't have any issues with Emilia's acting. But I think someone has to be really bad for me to take notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter