Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very pleased this movie didn't have all the call backs I was scared it might. I was so nervous they'd use the ''i love you' ''i know' exchange.

I think they kind of did.
When Lando says, "I hate you," I believe Han responds with, "I know," though there was a lot of laughter and the line was hard to hear. I hope that's what he said though!

Last edited:
Few more thoughts.

Wasnt a big fan of the lighting. I know lighting can set the mood, but it can't be too dark. The audience needs to see.

Actually, I was totally feeling that way in the beginning scenes. I was thinking, "Why is everything blue?" I got it though when the light came in to saturate the scene. They were going for an effect, and it did at least kinda work, but before that I was thinking something was wrong with the projector.

Last edited:
I went into the movie last night with zero expectations from it (I hadn't even seen the trailer) and then I actually really enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun, and I especially loved L3 and
Enfys

I appreciated the lighter tone and the fact that it was just a fun adventure. Full disclosure, The Force Awakens is probably my favorite Star Wars movie, and this one felt similar to that in tone to me, which I appreciated.

My one minor quibble is that in the first heist, losing both the pilot and Beckett's wife detracted from the impact of each of their deaths. We knew so little about them that it was hard to feel much for them, especially so quick in succession. Especially since we didn't know at that point why that particular job was important enough to them to sacrifice themselves.

I'm seeing it again tonight, so I'm looking forward to picking up on details that I might have missed the first time around. :)

I walked in worried after everything I had read from the production news but I'll be honest; I loved it. Was it groundbreaking? No, but it was so much fun. The characters were enjoyable, the action was great, the film well was crafted. I also am really enjoying getting to see a different side of the Star Wars universe in these side movies. Getting to see the story of non-force users; the crime syndicates, spies, and soldiers is really very enjoyable. I think it's up there with Rogue One and Last Jedi as one of my favorites on the series.

I enjoyed it. My one quibble would be that I feel like it set up a wider Star Wars universe, but we probably won’t get the payoff in another movie. Hopefully 1 of the live action shows pick up the threads.

Deadline is reporting a $105-$115 million 4 day opening. China it's projected at $10-$25 Million dollar opening weekend. Per Deadline "The Korea number after two days is just $362K according to local estimates, and I hear the UK has started off very soft."

Deadline is reporting a $105-$115 million 4 day opening. China it's projected at $10-$25 Million dollar opening weekend. Per Deadline "The Korea number after two days is just $362K according to local estimates, and I hear the UK has started off very soft."

Saw Thursday it made $14m - which is a record for the Thurs before Memorial Day weekend but als half of what’s Rogue One did - still excited to see it in a few hours though

I warned everyone this was looking to be a money loser...now, it might be looking like an outright bomb, since it has little hope of doubling its $250M+ production budget with this DOM opening and its horrendous overseas BO. It could change the whole theatrical plans for the franchise post-episode IX (ala, the Boba Fett annoucement you saw today might stick as well as Man of Steel 2 or the Batman movie after Justice League)...

Saw Thursday it made $14m - which is a record for the Thurs before Memorial Day weekend but als half of what’s Rogue One did - still excited to see it in a few hours though

Kind of a silly record. That's like saying the biggest 2nd weekend in June Thursday previews. Couldn't find a list of all Thursday previews however TLJ did $45 million on it's Thursday preview.

It sounds like most people like it. It's going to be high 80's through low 90's here in the great white north. One of the nicest Memorial Day weekends I can remember. So Solo will have to wait for me, to nice outside. Hope to catch a matinee next week though.

Kind of a silly record. That's like saying the biggest 2nd weekend in June Thursday previews. Couldn't find a list of all Thursday previews however TLJ did $45 million on it's Thursday preview.

It sounds like most people like it. It's going to be high 80's through low 90's here in the great white north. One of the nicest Memorial Day weekends I can remember. So Solo will have to wait for me, to nice outside. Hope to catch a matinee next week though.
That’s sort of my problem too. Between work and the great weather it’s not going to fit into my schedule this weekend unless maybe I go Sunday.

Fortunately I got out of work early so currently enjoying the nice weather outside of a local brewery and then heading to the theater in a bit - but it is a good point about how weather can impact things.

Wonder if this could have a lowere opening but then not drop as much to 2nd weekend given (so far at least) positive word of mouth

Although anecdotal, the showing that I went to last night was only about 2/3 full (at best). I've seen opening night premieres in the exact same theater for TFA, TLJ and Rogue One, which were all at capacity.

Wonder if this could have a lowere opening but then not drop as much to 2nd weekend given (so far at least) positive word of mouth
I wondered the same thing - especially since the movie seems to be surprising most of us that didn't have too many expectations. The downside is that the brutal summer release schedule won't leave it much room to breathe. In that sense, a Nov - Dec release date really could have helped as word of mouth built up.

There'll be a lot of finger pointing (and I guess there already is) if this movie seriously stumbles. The easy ones are those directed at this movie on its own - the harder (and more worrisome ones) are those directed at the SW franchise and Disney's stewardship of it. Really sort of a shame - since it is a fun film and mostly delivers.

I liked it! It’s a fun movie. I felt better walking out of this movie then Last Jedi. Could I watch it a million times like I have the OT? Probably not, but that doesn’t mean I wasted time in my life watching it. I went to see it this morning, liked the little surprises, bought in to Ehrenreich’s version of a young Han Solo, ate popcorn, and spent two hours hanging out in my favorite universe albeit from a different angle. When ROTJ came out I was a kid and I loved the movie Ewoks and all! I shudder to think if social media was around in 1983 would the movie still been successful? Leaks of Marquand being the director and little furry creatures overthrowing well armored storm troopers? Sometimes I wonder if too much info isn’t a good thing.

The problem with the box office is that the budgets for these movies are out of control! $250M is a ridiculous number (though in Solo's case it was probably supposed to be about $200M but the reshoots pushed it up - still an insane number). There just isn't enough movie-going wallet-share for that many films to make half-a-billion dollars. Avengers just came out recently too! Any movie that has a $100 Million opening weekend should be a hit and is pretty popular by most measures, but if it doesn't make the money, it doesn't matter. Personally, I think they should've waited until December. The competition right now is killer and the December releases have been good to Star Wars. The director change would've been a perfect excuse too. We'll see how it does in the long run, though the reception seems positive. It really needed to come out of the gate a little stronger though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter