Slinky genie+ gone in minutes

Is SDD kind of like the Stanley Cup craze? Demand seems to beget demand. I get that it is a coaster appropriate for younger riders. As an older person, I can totally skip it. What is the attraction to this ride?
We will try to grab it on our trip in July. I rode it for the first time July 2022. It was cute, but not something i am dying to do again. I prefer ToT or Rockin Rollercoaster. This will be the first time my daughter will be tall enough to ride a rollercoaster. Its not traumatizing ride for kids and it's a good introduction for bigger coasters. My son is a scaredy cat and when we rode it 2 years ago, it gave him the courage to do more.

If i didn't have kids on this trip, i would probably skip it, unless the lines were short. We did skip it back in 2021 when there were no fast passes or Genie plus. Lines were crazy long and i would have been extremely disappointed if i waited in the hot sun for it. i swore off toy story land during the day on that trip. we're night only now! LOL.

We will try to grab it on our trip in July. I rode it for the first time July 2022. It was cute, but not something i am dying to do again. I prefer ToT or Rockin Rollercoaster. This will be the first time my daughter will be tall enough to ride a rollercoaster. Its not traumatizing ride for kids and it's a good introduction for bigger coasters. My son is a scaredy cat and when we rode it 2 years ago, it gave him the courage to do more.

If i didn't have kids on this trip, i would probably skip it, unless the lines were short. We did skip it back in 2021 when there were no fast passes or Genie plus. Lines were crazy long and i would have been extremely disappointed if i waited in the hot sun for it. i swore off toy story land during the day on that trip. we're night only now! LOL.

Slinky is SO MUCH BETTER in the dark, I don't even bother during the day anymore unless the line isn't bad.

Is SDD kind of like the Stanley Cup craze? Demand seems to beget demand. I get that it is a coaster appropriate for younger riders. As an older person, I can totally skip it. What is the attraction to this ride?
That is true with all things Disney Parks. CRT, Le Cellier, BoG, etc. It is hard to get because it is hard to get.

Ok so it's been a few weeks since we went! Wanted to update, we did indeed get slinky at night! I hit genie+ right at 7 and got an early time and then literally modified it like twice but it happened quick! I hate that when you click the time it sometimes changes when you actually finish getting it. That is annoying BUT it worked out! It's so fun at night.

This is the one ride I really don't understand the popularity for. Granted I haven't ridden it, but it looks like a cute kids coaster you might see in any theme park in America. Is there something more in the queue or in the ride that I can't see from watching?
nothing more....what you see is what it is....its fun and all but Everest, Big Thunder, Splash, Space & RnRoller coaster are way better (in my opinion)

I've done all the coasters at Disney, Universal and SeaWorld and I'd say Slinky Dog is well worth doing - its a very nice coaster. I enjoyed it way more than I expected.

As for getting G+ I was able to get it at 7AM any days I tried the week of Feb 26th, but it was always late in the day.
I went for early entry one morning and was on it in 30minutes - I'd highly recommend that if you can do it.

I also was there the week of February 26. By using time.gov to hit as close to 07.00 as possible, I got a pretty good early a.m. return time. Then....the ride went down. I had PH ticket so was able to do a lot of stuff before the ride finally came back hours later and I was able to ride.

It definitely helps to count down those last ten seconds with time.gov and then start bangin' away at 6:59:59. I was reminded of the good old days when ROTR was using the in-park-only VQ and everybody was sitting around Sunset Boulevard when it was 45F or so outside. At least this time, we can stay in our homes/hotel rooms.

Slinky is a ride that "looks big" but "rides small" in a park that doesn't have a huge number of kid-friendly things to do. Just looking at the layout, it should be a fun coaster. It has a launch into a hill, the run of bunny hills after the launch, etc.

But, somehow, they managed to design it so that it is borderline forceless. It has a few moments of "hey, that was okay," but nothing that I'd describe as "wow!" My daughter and I are both roller coaster dorks. She pronounced it a one-and-done. I'll ride it, but I won't wait very long and won't go too far out of my way to get a G+ for it.
Is any ride worth any wait? To me, it's kinda like a piece of art - it is worth what someone will pay for it. And in this case, I guess, SDD is one of Disney World's most expensive rides.

That aside, I think it's brilliant for what it is - a kiddie coaster. I get the criticism above - out of context it can't compete with GOTG, or Velocicoaster, or EE, etc, etc. But in context - which matters - how many kiddie coasters, anywhere in the world, match up? (I know, I know, Hagrid's, but that blows away most any ride. If you can get on it).

First time going in May and getting overwhelmed with all that needs to be done at 7am!
Yeah - I agree its an issue.

You really need to do the VQ first as that goes the quickest IMO.
Then look at a ride.

The bigger hassle for me was I would try for a VQ and if I got the one I wanted I would then get G+ and finally look for rides - so at that point Jungle Cruise or Slinky Dog are much later in the day - just in those few minutes.

If I did not get the VQ then that would not be a Disney Day

how many kiddie coasters, anywhere in the world, match up?
This is a good question. What's interesting about Slinky is that it is not marketed as a "kiddie coaster" but that's more or less what it is.

But, thinking about others that look grown-up but are relatively forceless: It's a little reminiscent of Pony Express at Knott's though PE is definitely smaller and less ambitious. PE does get points for a TRON-like seating system. I would also put Firechaser Express at Dollywood in this category---and FE is closer in scope to Slinky.

SDD is made more popular due to the FOMO factor I think… there’s so much hype around it being the hardest to get LL so people think it must be absolutely amazing. It’s fun, I’ll agree, but with a 2 hour wait in line… with next to no shade in the hottest land in any park… no way!

Yes - Firechaser Express at Dollywood! A wonderful family coaster at an amazing park.

Prior to SDD (and Hagrid's I suppose) among the few really notable family-style coasters I can remember riding were the old "Scooby Doo Ghoster Coasters" at both Canada's Wonderland and King's Dominion, before they were renamed and reworked, and as a result somewhat ignominiously having had their American Coaster Enthusiast's plaques taken away. They were a ton of fun and actually packed a punch. But no more.

And of course there was the late, lamented "High Speed Thrill Coaster" at Knoebels, which, depending on the mood of the operator (they controlled the speed, believe it or not) could live up to its name. But that's been gone for years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter