POR vs. Pop!

kandb

DIS Veteran
We usually stay deluxe but looking into going on a cheaper trip, so considering Pop because I have always read that people like it. It's myself and 2 children going (older). I will rent a car so I will have it on premises. We have stayed at POR in the past and like it but read it's past due for a refurbishment. POFQ is not available or I would book there. Which place would you stay at? We are going in Jan. 2025.

Between POR and POP I would (and have) chosen Pop. The Skyliner is a game changer for transportation over solely buses. Pop is also much easier to get around with no need for an internal bus to get to food, the main pool, etc. I had this choice for my Thanksgiving trip and with a discount POR would actually have been cheaper (overall savings would have amounted to the price of 1 night at Pop). I went with Pop because at that busy time, the skyliner will save me so much time waiting for buses.

But now I see you are going in January. Check the past schedule for Skyliner refurb. It goes down for about a week every January/Feb for maintenance. If you are going during that time, I would go with whichever is cheapest.

Have you considered Coronado Springs? Gran Destino tower is very nice and the location will not matter much if you are using your own car. If you plan on using Disney transportation, then I agree with Stacybaesm that Pop is nice with Skyliner access, if available for your dates. I have stayed at POP and liked it fine, but I prefer moderates to value resorts. The rooms are larger, the theming more aesthetically pleasing and dining options aren't limited to a food court. I personally prefer POR to POP, despite its larger more spread out footprint

Honestly both are great.

POR is the only mod I'd ever consider in the future.
It has good food, good transportation, and overall is just a nice resort.

POP is my favorite value again with good food and good transportation and its more in your face theme if you want it.
What I don't like is that POP is now SO expensive due to the skyliner that to me it has become less worth the price tag so I have started opting for the All Star resorts.

Have you considered Coronado Springs? Gran Destino tower is very nice and the location will not matter much if you are using your own car. If you plan on using Disney transportation, then I agree with Stacybaesm that Pop is nice with Skyliner access, if available for your dates. I have stayed at POP and liked it fine, but I prefer moderates to value resorts. The rooms are larger, the theming more aesthetically pleasing and dining options aren't limited to a food court. I personally prefer POR to POP, despite its larger more spread out footprint
Unfortunately CS was not available. It's one of the few resorts we never stayed in because usually we are 5 people. I always wanted to try it. Will check daily for openings. We are going 1/13 to 1/17

We did both this past year. You can’t go wrong with either as both are fantastic resorts. Our kids 8,9 preferred pop due to theming, skyline and rooms. Rooms at POR are a bit dated and pale in comparison to pop’s, at least in my opinion. POR is a massive resort and we found the buses and the multi stops a bit of a chore compared to the skyliner. Also be prepared to walk as some buildings seem a mile away from the main lobby. POR is stunning however and walking around the grounds and down to the French quarter is incredible, plus the boats to ds are a lot of fun. Tough call 😊. If you want easy access to the parks and more Disney theming head to pop. We are going back to pop in 7 weeks, so that is our choice! Enjoy your time wherever you choose to go.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest